Interesting Offensive Stat on the Brock and Salk Show

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Just trying to be cute, and everybody blowing smoke up their butt for it.

Fortunately, I think everybody and their brother realises that now, and positive changes are a coming.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of "chicken vs. egg" stuff going on around here (or maybe not enough?). There's a relationship between our success on passing downs and our ability to get Lynch more touches. In order to set up more runs for Lynch, we need to extend more series, which means getting more 1st downs, which means succeeding on passing downs. It's the same story every time our passing game accomplishes absolutely nothing (which it largely didn't for most of this game). People think we're not calling enough runs, but they are ignoring the fundamental problem in the game -- that our passing game is accomplishing absolutely nothing. Convert at least a league average rate on 3rd-and-long and Lynch gets more touches. Looking at his touches in a vacuum doesn't tell you enough. Never does.

IMO, run vs. pass calls were not necessarily the issue. The issue is that the passing game needs to become more consistent at keeping the team on the field in must-pass situations.

rideaducati

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1966dbw3 said:
I think there's a lot of "chicken vs. egg" stuff going on around here (or maybe not enough?). There's a relationship between our success on passing downs and our ability to get Lynch more touches. In order to set up more runs for Lynch, we need to extend more series, which means getting more 1st downs, which means succeeding on passing downs. It's the same story every time our passing game accomplishes absolutely nothing (which it largely didn't for most of this game). People think we're not calling enough runs, but they are ignoring the fundamental problem in the game -- that our passing game is accomplishing absolutely nothing. Convert at least a league average rate on 3rd-and-long and Lynch gets more touches. Looking at his touches in a vacuum doesn't tell you enough. Never does.

IMO, run vs. pass calls were not necessarily the issue. The issue is that the passing game needs to become more consistent at keeping the team on the field in must-pass situations.

Calling plays that start with no one behind Russell seems dumb with the offensive line they have. What worked in the past was play action and there is no play action with an empty set and I have seen enough empty set snaps for an entire season already.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We run empty in obvious passing situations where running play action is largely pointless. In any event, I agree that our empty sets are pretty feable. Yet scrapping them from the playbook isn't the answer. We can't just hide our QB from empty sets forever. Russell needs to get better at it. Height is obviously a factor in empty. Insurmountable? I don't know, but it's a factor. It's obviously something this team has tried to create a work-around for. We can't just revert to run-run-play-action and expect to have a legitimate offense.