Is anyone else backtracking about the "worst call ever"?

IcedHawk

Reaction score
You do a play action bootleg, I think Wilson walks in.

Not too angry about the pass, just the wrong play

pmedic920

Reaction score
I just saw a graphic that said the past are the 3rd worst defense in that situation.
They are scored on 5 out of 6 times when it's less than 1 to go.

kearly

Reaction score
IcedHawk":1fw5teek said:
You do a play action bootleg, I think Wilson walks in.

I thought the same thing. If Wilson pump fakes left to freeze the safety / spy , then runs right, it would have been 3 on 2.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2979hn1a said:
Wilson put it where it had to be. The defense knew the play was coming and broke on it. Very similar in concept to the play Sherman made against the Texans.

Even if Wilson had thrown the ball a tic sooner, Lockette would have been blasted at the 1 yard line, and if he had held onto the ball, Seattle would have been forced to burn a timeout, which is also a really bad outcome. No way Lockette scores there.

Seattle basically gave the play away when they went 3 WR and the Patriots dictated a pass with their defense. Lockette lined up just behind Kearse in a classic rub route formation. The Patriots see this formation a hundred times a day in practice, so they all knew it was coming. And then told us as much after the game ended. It really was just about the worst play call possible.

Wilson didn't put it where he had to be.

He threw it a second early and too high.

A throw to his stomach and chest and were re-pete champs.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Worst call ever. 2nd down, best back in the league against an awful goal line defense who was getting pushed around in the second half to win the Super Bowl inside the one yard line.

It can't be anything but the worst call ever.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
kearly":de329oom said:
dumbrabbit":de329oom said:
You have one timeout, 20 seconds left. Running 3 downs won't do you any good if you don't score a TD. You need to throw one before to save that timeout.

I don't care about the play call, just the wrong pass play.

If you call two running plays in the huddle, you could easily get 3 run plays off. The ball was snapped with about 25 seconds on the clock, and if Lynch gets stuffed, it's not going to take 20 seconds to snap the next play. Probably more like 15 seconds. Which leaves 10 seconds for a run and then a timeout.

The previous play ended with something like a minute left on the clock, Seattle had roughly half a minute to get their run package on the field, but instead Seattle milked the clock down only to put 3 WR on the field. When Pete talks about needing a pass, he is either grossly incompetent or desperate to cover for an OC that wanted showboat. I think it's most likely the latter.

There's one timeout left. Save that. The clock is running, save that timeout with an incomplete pass. Use that timeout after third down.

A play action would have been better as other people have suggested.

kearly

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":19g8zgj2 said:
There's one timeout left. Save that. The clock is running, save that timeout with an incomplete pass. Use that timeout after third down.

I would have been fine with play action. I just think it's insanely wrong to suggest that Seattle couldn't have ran 3 times. Look at the clock after Lynch goes down at the one yard line. A ton of time left.

Ozzy

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1pgmagpp said:
kearly":1pgmagpp said:
Wilson put it where it had to be. The defense knew the play was coming and broke on it. Very similar in concept to the play Sherman made against the Texans.

Even if Wilson had thrown the ball a tic sooner, Lockette would have been blasted at the 1 yard line, and if he had held onto the ball, Seattle would have been forced to burn a timeout, which is also a really bad outcome. No way Lockette scores there.

Seattle basically gave the play away when they went 3 WR and the Patriots dictated a pass with their defense. Lockette lined up just behind Kearse in a classic rub route formation. The Patriots see this formation a hundred times a day in practice, so they all knew it was coming. And then told us as much after the game ended. It really was just about the worst play call possible.

It was a perfect throw the route just got jumped. If anything Lockette could of ran a flatter route to make an easier throw possible from Wilson. The "blame" Wilson angle is so stupid.

Jville

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":dg0e6l3d said:
I will admit that after sleeping on it, reading and watching dozens of points of analysis, I am backtracking on calling out the INT as the worst call in football. It's easy to question anything in hindsight, especially under the gravity of the situation, but now that I have seen so many facts and explanations and viewpoints, I still don't think it was the BEST call in the situation, but I understand why it was made. It really boiled down to execution, and the fact that a rookie DB made the play of his life.

I believe if we ran that play 100 times in the same situation, same receiver (yes, even Lockette) that we score a TD more than 50% of the time, and it's probably never intercepted more than the one time. It was an unbelievable defensive play, combined with an overconfident leading throw and a receiver not used to being in that position. But I understand it, and have come to terms with it.

I still would have liked a play action rollout, but if Lockette catches that ball yesterday I doubt anyone would be questioning the call.

I thought it was a terrific play by an undrafted rookie free agent.

It is a shame that so many here are blinded by the outcome of one play. There were many undrafted players who came up with plays in this Super Bowl. The play of so many undrafted free agents was the theme of yesterday's game. Super Bowl 49 should be remembered as the one where the undrafted and unwanted shined most brightly.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jville":229cjxky said:
It is a shame that so many here are blinded by the outcome of one play. There were many undrafted players who came up with plays in this Super Bowl. The play of so many undrafted free agents was the theme of yesterday's game. Super Bowl 49 should be remembered as the one where the undrafted and unwanted shined most brightly.

Yeah and Green Bay should remember the NFCC as the one where they kicked butt for 55 minutes.

idahawks

Reaction score
Bevell was trying to keep his options open for 3rd and 4th down. A pass play either wins or stops the clock which keeps all options open for 3rd and 4th down. A run play forces you to use a TO and then you are forced to pass on 3rd or run an hope you get in because the clock will most likely run out before you get to 4th down.

Bevell worried too much about preserving the clock and forgot about the risk of an int. The risk of an int on an inside slant is very low but probably the highest of any play in that situation. There is maybe a 1% chance that gets picked off. I agree it was a bad play call but I can see what he was thinking and why he did it.

I think blame should be shared equally between Wilson, bevel and Lockette. All three made mistakes that could have prevented the int.

Before the play I said they should give it to Lynch and they should have. I don't think there is any doubt if you give him 2 cracks at it he gets in. The blunder in play calling isn't necessarily a pass as much as its a quick timing pass inside where a pick is more likely than almost any other passing play in that area of the field.

kearly

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2bgqmw5s said:

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

As Pehawk says, the timing of the throw is designed and Wilson executed that timing exactly as planned. Wilson said himself he thought it would be a touchdown, and it would have been if not for the DB knowing it was coming and making an awesome play.

The location was perfect. It led the receiver and he would have caught it in stride if the safety doesn't gamble.

Even if Wilson knew what was going to happen and threw the ball a bit inside, Lockette probably doesn't hold on (he got drilled), and if he does, he'd down in bounds at the one yard line. No way he scores there. Watch that play and tell me how Lockette scores. Not possible. Maybe Dez Bryant or Gronk could score after taking a hit like that, but that's about it.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
kearly":2mpgj7o7 said:
dumbrabbit":2mpgj7o7 said:

I would have been fine with play action. I just think it's insanely wrong to suggest that Seattle couldn't have ran 3 times. Look at the clock after Lynch goes down at the one yard line. A ton of time left.

The clock is running because Kearse didn't step out of bounds. Stop the clock by throwing an incompletion. Save that timeout in case Lynch doesn't get the score on the next play.

Now, if the clock was stopped, I would definitely have considered running the ball.

Goodwin Seahawk

Reaction score
No backtracking here – I think they needed to run it right at them and leave no doubt (Compete & Finish). In terms of Mortal Combat, we heard “FINISH THEM!!!” but instead of one last quick decisive Marshawn 1 yard stab, we tried a special move and got Bevelled.

They did what they thought was right and it didn’t work. They will be second guessing themselves much longer than I will. It was a great season and I’m ready to get my Spring and Summer on and then get ready for next season.

GO HAWKS!!!

DTexHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2qk3wucn said:
dumbrabbit":2qk3wucn said:
You have one timeout, 20 seconds left. Running 3 downs won't do you any good if you don't score a TD. You need to throw one before to save that timeout.

I don't care about the play call, just the wrong pass play.

If you call two running plays in the huddle, you could easily get 3 run plays off. The ball was snapped with about 25 seconds on the clock, and if Lynch gets stuffed, it's not going to take 20 seconds to snap the next play. Probably more like 15 seconds. Which leaves 10 seconds for a run and then a timeout.

Depending on if Lynch gets stuffed, bounces outside, gets stuffed again, forward progress stopped around 3 or 4 yardline, and the pile gets pushed back from there and Wilfork lands on them all and takes his time getting up, which then results in someone shoving him, ..............

Two plays would be doable, no way they get three.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bandiger":zw0h559t said:
You can explain it however you want but stats about Pats goaline defense against the run says otherwise.

So what, EVERY team that plays us plays to stop Lynch and our run game. How has that worked out for other teams?

It's about situational play calling, not going with some broad stats or personnel logic. Lynch had been going off the entire 2nd half, and just ran for 5 yards. The Pat's line was gassed and we had all the momentum.

You give him the ball with one timeout...........and you give it to him 100 out of 100 times. End of discussion, no more excuses or rationalization.