Is it really an open competition for starting QB?

Open competition?

• Yes, the best player will start

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • No, other factors will be decisive

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Just wondering if people think it is really an open competition for QB or if maybe Geno‘s longevity on the team and relationship with PC will be more of a factor. Or, heck, if PC already has made the call privately. It’s only been one preseason game so I guess we will see.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Depends on who starts the next game.

If Geno starts, denying the chance for Lock to prove anything with the first team against a first team when we already know what Geno is, there wasn't ever really a true competition.

I hope this isn't the case and Lock gets the start.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The sense that I have is it's Geno's job to lose.

Lock is the starter only if Geno stumbles and Lock rocks. Lacking either, Geno is the starter.

I don't agree but Pete has yet to ask my opinion.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Depends on who starts the next game.

If Geno starts, denying the chance for Lock to prove anything with the first team against a first team when we already know what Geno is, there wasn't ever really a true competition.

I hope this isn't the case and Lock gets the start.

I hope so too. But Pete is notoriously loyal to people long after they have performed poorly. (Tom Cable, Ken Norton)

Personally, I don't see the Lock fumble as that big of a deal. Lock had all what..2nd and 3rd stringers out there? Geno had Austin Blythe making the calls, and had Blythe been in on that play, he might have called protection on that blitzer.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I actually think we will see both of them starting multiple games.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I hope so too. But Pete is notoriously loyal to people long after they have performed poorly. (Tom Cable, Ken Norton)

Personally, I don't see the Lock fumble as that big of a deal. Lock had all what..2nd and 3rd stringers out there? Geno had Austin Blythe making the calls, and had Blythe been in on that play, he might have called protection on that blitzer.

Yeah, I'm not going to knock him down any notches for one bad play at the end of preseason game 1.
Especially since at the time they weren't playing it safe like you would in a normal game. they were just going for it to not have to do stupid overtime in the preseason. I would like to think that a similar situation in a real game would be handled from top to bottom in a better way.

Also, seems like the back running out of the backfield could have easily chipped the rusher at the line and bought drew an extra second to see the rush coming.

W

Welshers

Hopefully this is a real competition unlike the way they handled Matt Flynn. I still believe we would have won multiple SBs if Pete hadn't just given rw the job with no competition

flv2

Reaction score
Yes, but not everyone is going to agree on who wins the competition or who is the best QB. Picking a clearly 2nd-best choice as the starter would risk alienating the fans, the players, and the league office. There is little or no upside to that strategy, unless the #2 QB is Eason. Smith and Lock are both going to become free market mercenaries in March. There is little or nothing to be gained from their development. Get the best 2022 you can get out of them and move on.

Rosco

Reaction score
Yes, but not everyone is going to agree on who wins the competition or who is the best QB. Picking a clearly 2nd-best choice as the starter would risk alienating the fans, the players, and the league office. There is little or no upside to that strategy, unless the #2 QB is Eason. Smith and Lock are both going to become free market mercenaries in March. There is little or nothing to be gained from their development. Get the best 2022 you can get out of them and move on.
Not with Geno,but with Lock there is a lot to be gained.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
People making the case for Geno are pointing to the turnover by Lock late in the game which he himself admitted was his fault. However isn't that exactly what Geno did in the regular season last year. I'll give him a pass for the int vs the Rams as Locket fell down, but the fumble vs the Steeler and I don't recall if there was a turnover in the last drive against the Saints but I do recall it being really ugly

fullquartpress

Reaction score
People making the case for Geno are pointing to the turnover by Lock late in the game which he himself admitted was his fault. However isn't that exactly what Geno did in the regular season last year. I'll give him a pass for the int vs the Rams as Locket fell down, but the fumble vs the Steeler and I don't recall if there was a turnover in the last drive against the Saints but I do recall it being really ugly
Week 6 vs Pittsburgh was as good as I've seen Geno, who had much help from Collins, Homer, and DJ Dallas
Geno fumbled(lost), as runner, in OT to TJ Watt.
DK also fumbled a completed pass, but Deejay Dallas recovered DK's fumble.
Week 7 vs New Orleans, Meyers missed FGs of 53 and 44.
RBs were more limited.
Early 90 yard TD pass to DK, mostly thanks to Saint's' defender falling next to DK.
Blair's hit to Winston's head also continued NO drive, and winning Saints' FG.
Then Saints controlled the final minutes, with desperaltion 4th down pass, near INT(dropped).

Latest posts