Is It Worth The Risk

hawkpride

Reaction score
So I know all of us love football (that's why we are here) but in the current day and age, is having a season worth the risk to players, coaches and to fans who may or may not be able to attend the games.
I think in my heart and soul that this season will not be played out, it may start but.......

So what if Danger Russ got it or Coach got it, RW would must likely come out of it unscathed. But Coach is a question like all us older people.
Football is a sport which we love and hold dearly, but it is entertainment.
Is a entertainment worth the risk?

I know this is a highly charged subject with opinions each way, but this is why this site is here.

What say you!

sutz

Reaction score
It's a valid question. I don't have season tickets and can't afford to attend games if allowed to anyway.

Would love to see football again, but I'm not really into paying people to outright risk their lives and the health of their families just to entertain me. So I guess I'm with you. If they just skip the season, I'll likely survive that--assuming I survive the pandemic.

:les:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My GF works with cancer patients all day. So for me, the fair thing to do is be more careful.

The risk is probably not terrible, even with the exposure rates ticking back up after the reopenings in different states, the death rates really are not moving up much. Most of the danger even among the risk groups is probably minimal. However, immunocompromised people cannot afford to even get a cold - so this year I might not attend a game, where normally it is one of the best parts of living downtown.

Very concerned if the players will even be in playing shape or if all the months in lockdown without being able to do their full offseason routines is going to hurt. Specifically concerned about potential injuries to important players if they are not in game shape. Imagine we will see some games where they are shaking off rust even if they do remain healthy.

All in all, I expect regular-season games that look more like preseason games.

It will be interesting to see if there is even going to be a 'regular-season' at all.

chris98251

Reaction score
If there is any question of safety then no, that's players to fans and concessions all the above. they do need to figure out a compensation system for everyone though that won't lead to a conflict between owners/league/players however.

This will also carry over to college and their seasons and then the draft. Would we use the last played season for position again?

Teams will have to really dig deep into film and make higher risk moves in the draft as well. All Contracts extended for a season for F.A if not played this year or pay a percentage?

Lots of intangible situations.

Oh and this place will be intolerable this time next year with now football, seahawker76 will meme the hell out of it.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Mental health is important as much as not going outside for fears. We gotta figure it all out.

xray

Reaction score
If the virus doesn't take a significant break there won't be football this season . Already 2 preseason games cancelled .

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Given the compensation rates and probability of being able to compensate for it some other way, I'd say for most of the players the risk is worth taking, but as a fan who has a choice of watching on tv and being safe vs going out into a crowd...I'll take the tube.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Like I mentioned in the Politics forum, we have a pretty good case study on the effects of CV-19 on a cross-section of mostly healthy and fit younger adults mixed in with smaller numbers of older people. On the carrier USS Roosevelt, there was an outbreak. Of ~5000 crew, ~1000 tested positive (no report on who in particular, not even by rank, so hard to tell the age mix - I'm assuming the positive test rate mirrors the age distribution). It was contained at ~1000 by strong isolation protocols available to the military. Of the 1000 positive tests, 1 person died (0.1% rate in a mixed-age population that excludes elderly and prior condition folks). No word of how many were hospitalized, but anecdotal evidence is not that many (for what it's worth).

I think we could reasonably expect similar results in the NFL, with a mix of mostly younger, fit players with older, not-so-fit coaches and other staff personnel. The person that died apparently was one of the first, whose illness wasn't detected by test but by advanced symptoms.

The NFL will be going in with even stronger testing and isolation protocols, so I think the CV-19 rate will be WAY less than 20% over the course of a season. I think it's worth the risk, by the numbers.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Isn't our beloved Coach Carroll one of the oldest coaches in the NFL right now? Last I checked C-19 has not been kind to the elderly. I'm okay with missing this year and even with Season Tickets I'd like my money back (they'll probably roll it over) for the season if/when it's cancelled. We jokingly say Football is life, but truthfully there are more important things than football right now...which is life. I'm not going to let my etertainment be the cause for anyone else's safety risk. Sure the players and staff are generally younger fit folks, but you might not be able to say the same about their families and/or household units.

xray

Reaction score
if they test positive they go on IR. :D

sc85sis

Reaction score
It isn’t just about the players, though we absolutely need to be concerned for them. It’s also about the coaches, the team staff, the stadium staff, security members, fans.... And all the families of all those people.

I love football. I’d be seriously bummed if there’s no season. But my enjoyment isn’t anywhere close to as important as people’s lives and health.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No. I really wish that this would all just disappear. I also wish Bill Levy wasn't the ref of Superbowl XL.

Unfortunately, this virus isn't going away anytime soon for numerous reasons. If one player or coach gets it, the whole team (for any team, not just the Seahawks) will have to be put in quarantine. There's too many variables involved.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The risk of hospitalization and/or death to those under 65 is ridiculously low. The media narrative switched from deaths to cases to keep the story going. Are people still getting Corona virus? Yes. Is it going away any time soon? No. Is there a cure? No. If you are old an in poor health you are at risk of this and a ton of other viruses. Stay home. Wear a mask. If you are a healthy person under 65 you should not worry about suffering ill effects even if you get it except for the rare few that the press loves to magnify.

So play football. If you are at risk stay home. For most people they need to stop living in a state of fear. Take your states number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths and age breakdowns and Do your own research.

chris98251

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1czszbmq said:
The risk of hospitalization and/or death to those under 65 is ridiculously low. The media narrative switched from deaths to cases to keep the story going. Are people still getting Corona virus? Yes. Is it going away any time soon? No. Is there a cure? No. If you are old an in poor health you are at risk of this and a ton of other viruses. Stay home. Wear a mask. If you are a healthy person under 65 you should not worry about suffering ill effects even if you get it except for the rare few that the press loves to magnify.

So play football. If you are at risk stay home. For most people they need to stop living in a state of fear. Take your states number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths and age breakdowns and Do your own research.

I think we should all chip in and send Jayhawkmike to Brasil and or Texas for a good time for a week and see how he feels coming back home.

Tical21

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":k1ptuuyu said:

40% of SARS patients required care 5 years later. What will that percentage be for covid?