Is Lynch the best trade in franchise history?

quadsas

Reaction score
ET trade is definitely up there, considering how much the team improved after it

seabowl

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3ag9vuzb said:
pugs1":3ag9vuzb said:
Throwdown":3ag9vuzb said:
Didn't they trade up for Walter Jones?

Traded Rick Mirer to the Bears for the pick to snag Walter Jones!

Didn't we get 2 first round picks for Mirer?

The pick we got from the Bears was not the spot where we took Jones. We had to trade up with that pick and another to move up for Walter. We got 1 first rounder for Mirer. I think 2 first rounders for Fred Young was a good deal too. Also 2 first rounders for Galloway was solid as well.

Meeker

Reaction score
halps80":3nljiknw said:
He might be high on the list if you want to project forward. But lets be honest, he has been here for nearly 3 years and was nothing special for the 1.5 years (outside of the Beastquake).

Really? We traded for him in oct of '10, and he had a bit of a slow start that fall, but dude has been a beast since dec of that year. Numbers aside, He might have had a better '11 than '12, in terms of carrying the team when we really had no other offense to speak of.

Regarding the mirer trade, we got Chicago's number 1, and then we packaged it to trade up to number 6 on draft day for big Walt. Shawn springs was our 'earned' first rounder that year.

He wasn't very good in December of '10 either. He also had a very slow start to '11 and didn't really take off until the Dallas game (8th game of the season, did have an exceptional game against the Giants in week 5). Highly disagree that he was better in '11 than '12, mainly due to the slow start...only had 2 truly poor games in '12 (3 including the playoffs, Atlanta)

Seafan

Reaction score
Largent for an 8th round pick was epic, particularly in those days when the Hawk scouting department couldn't find players past the 2nd round. Houston gave the Hawks a future HOF. Joey Galloway and Fredd Young trades netted 2 first rounders for each player.

A

Anonymous

kearly":ywqt26sx said:
I can't even imagine how it would feel if we cut/traded some guy we thought was a scrub like Kris Durham and he turned into a HoFer for a different team.

You mean like Ahman Green?

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seafan":2ml5mz1o said:
Largent for an 8th round pick was epic, particularly in those days when the Hawk scouting department couldn't find players past the 2nd round. Houston gave the Hawks a future HOF. Joey Galloway and Fredd Young trades netted 2 first rounders for each player.
I don't remember the details, but wasn't Warren Moon involved in the trade for #80 Largent ? Any way, the key to OP's original question is that the final outcome is yet to be determined.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":31r82x0r said:
kearly":31r82x0r said:
I can't even imagine how it would feel if we cut/traded some guy we thought was a scrub like Kris Durham and he turned into a HoFer for a different team.

One, Ahman Green is not in the Hall of Fame. Two, his departure is essentially irrelevant because Alexander was equaling, and in most cases exceeding Green's production during the same time.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Meeker":1w2qr8ta said:
He might be high on the list if you want to project forward. But lets be honest, he has been here for nearly 3 years and was nothing special for the 1.5 years (outside of the Beastquake).

If you want to be completely honest, go back to when our O-line was still one of the worst in the league and watch how Lynch would turn a 4-yard loss into a 3-yard gain. His effort and his refusal to go down at first contact are what our entire team's identity was based on. He's the primary reason our team is no longer viewed as soft around the league.

A

Anonymous

Seanhawk":3rbfw76l said:
HoustonHawk82":3rbfw76l said:
kearly":3rbfw76l said:

One, Ahman Green is not in the Hall of Fame. Two, his departure is essentially irrelevant because Alexander was equaling, and in most cases exceeding Green's production during the same time.

But, Green went to the Packers and proceeded to win the league rushing title the very next season. He may not have earned himself HOF status, but for the time he played he accomplished some great things.

I was speaking more to a player that left the Seahawks and kicked total heiney for his new team.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
without a doubt no one has earned their dough the way Lynch has to me he's the second best RB in the league and thats only to A. Peterson. The early success of the seahawks Offense was all Lynch and the always changing O-line.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3sfwhqde said:
Meeker":3sfwhqde said:

If you want to be completely honest, go back to when our O-line was still one of the worst in the league and watch how Lynch would turn a 4-yard loss into a 3-yard gain. His effort and his refusal to go down at first contact are what our entire team's identity was based on. He's the primary reason our team is no longer viewed as soft around the league.
:th2thumbs:

BlueTalons

Reaction score
pmedic920":2nmg9i71 said:
Seafan":2nmg9i71 said:
I don't remember the details, but wasn't Warren Moon involved in the trade for #80 Largent ? Any way, the key to OP's original question is that the final outcome is yet to be determined.
Moon was still at the University of Washington (played in the '78 Rose Bowl) and didn't even play at Houston until '84.

Happy

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1cqi77ly said:
Meeker":1cqi77ly said:

Yup. Marshawn forged the identify of our team when it had none. That's special.

As to the question posed by the OP, story isn't fully written yet, but as of now it's still Largent.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Largent, Hasselbeck, Walter, ET, Lynch...I'm surprised to realize how many of this franchise's cornerstones were acquired through trades. I wonder if most teams can say this.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":32v4d0q8 said:
kearly":32v4d0q8 said:

When did Ahman Green make it into the Hall of Fame? Missed that one.

pmedic920

Reaction score
BlueTalons":1yiiuzr4 said:
pmedic920":1yiiuzr4 said:
Seafan":1yiiuzr4 said:
Moon was still at the University of Washington (played in the '78 Rose Bowl) and didn't even play at Houston until '84.
yes sir you are correct and I'm aware of those details. I just had some crazy memory in the back of my head. I did some research and found nothing like what I was thinking. Who knows where I got the idea. I've had many adult beverages since those days.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":378i9z0o said:
Seanhawk":378i9z0o said:
HoustonHawk82":378i9z0o said:

But, Green went to the Packers and proceeded to win the league rushing title the very next season. He may not have earned himself HOF status, but for the time he played he accomplished some great things.

I was speaking more to a player that left the Seahawks and kicked total heiney for his new team.

Not true. Ricky Watters had more yards with the Hawks during Green's first year with the Pack.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
SeaTown81":379x3ely said:
The Hasselbeck trade is even more impressive when you actually break the specifics of it down.

The Hawks and Packers swapped 1st round picks. Packers getting the 10th overall pick, and the Hawks #17. In addition the Hawks sent GB a 3rd rounder (#72 overall).

Here's how that particular trade worked out:

GB gets:
#10 overall pick: DE Jamal Reynolds
#72 overall pick: LB Torrance Marshall

SEA gets:
QB Matt Hasselbeck
#17 overall pick: OG Steve Hutchinson

We all know how Hass and Hutch worked out for the Hawks. But what about Reynolds and Marshall for the Packers?

Reynolds - 3 seasons. 18 games played. 0 games started. 16 tackles. 3 sacks.
Marshall - 4 seasons. 51 gamse played. 2 games started. 32 tackles. 1 sack.

Neither player went on to play for another team.

That's like the Warriors/Celtics trade in 1980:

To Golden State
#1 pick: Joe Barry Carroll
#13 pick: Rickey Brown

To Boston:

Robert Parish
#3 pick: Kevin McHale

HawkWow

Reaction score
I loved Largent. the epitome of class and an all timer for sure. BUT...if we win this super bowl, I will happily call Lynch the most important acquisition via trade in the history of this franchise (for reasons mentioned above). He changed the very fabric of our team and his grit and determination has proven contagious.