Is Russell Wilson Fake?

NINEster

Reaction score
Rob12":2ntye3vc said:
Tech Worlds":2ntye3vc said:
I like Russell. I like how much time he gives to others.

I just wish he didn't publicize every good deed he does. Makes him look self serving even though I'm sure he isn't.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I see it as the opposite. When he posts a picture of him with a cancer-ridden child on Tuesdays, it makes me want to get out and do something meaningful, too. I really don't think it's self-serving. I think it's his way of trying to be an example. And people's lives are broadcasted on social media, even normal, run-of-the-mill people. I don't have a problem with it. His activeness in the community often makes me question myself on why I'm not doing more.

I don't follow Wilson's twitter feed, but there's a stark difference between doing it once in awhile and doing it all the time (tweeting pictures from the children's hospital).

As human beings we all want to be recognized for what we do, but you have to straddle the line between doing something so often that it comes off as a "look at me" more than the generosity itself.

One of the classiest things I've ever seen done was after the Colombine tragedy, it came out that one of the kids who died was in the middle of restoring a pickup truck. GM got wind of this, took his truck, restored it and gave it back to the family without a press release, media, etc. It was written about in one of the car magazines, but officially there was no record of it otherwise.

Now that's the epitome of class -- to not even seek or want the attention.

GM could have done the whole media thing and nobody would have criticized it....probably praised it of course. But it comes off as more powerful to keep things under wraps.

It's not unclassy per se to advertise your good deeds, but it very much depends on the frequency that you do it that determines it, IMHO.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":3991jzzx said:
Rob12":3991jzzx said:
Tech Worlds":3991jzzx said:

I just wish he didn't publicize every good deed he does. Makes him look self serving even though I'm sure he isn't.

I see it as the opposite. When he posts a picture of him with a cancer-ridden child on Tuesdays, it makes me want to get out and do something meaningful, too. I really don't think it's self-serving. I think it's his way of trying to be an example. And people's lives are broadcasted on social media, even normal, run-of-the-mill people. I don't have a problem with it. His activeness in the community often makes me question myself on why I'm not doing more.

I don't follow Wilson's twitter feed, but there's a stark difference between doing it once in awhile and doing it all the time (tweeting pictures from the children's hospital).

As human beings we all want to be recognized for what we do, but you have to straddle the line between doing something so often that it comes off as a "look at me" more than the generosity itself.

One of the classiest things I've ever seen done was after the Colombine tragedy, it came out that one of the kids who died was in the middle of restoring a pickup truck. GM got wind of this, took his truck, restored it and gave it back to the family without a press release, media, etc. It was written about in one of the car magazines, but officially there was no record of it otherwise.

GM could have done the whole media thing and nobody would have criticized it....probably praised it of course. But it comes off as more powerful to keep things under wraps.

It's not unclassy per se to advertise your good deeds, but it very much depends on the frequency that you do it that determines it, IMHO.

Tweeting about it doesn't undo the act.

Curious if you've come across any information indicating that the kids or families that he visits think that he was doing it for the press or being disingenuous during his visit. If not, what's the problem?

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
NINEster":lhg572r0 said:
Rob12":lhg572r0 said:
Tech Worlds":lhg572r0 said:

Very interesting take, but I have to strongly disagree.

I guess I see what Russel does - as well as many of the other players through their foundation work - as a way to inspire and encourage others to "step up" and help. I have never thought that any of the Seahawks who have done charity work of any kind to be self-serving. I do not see what they gain by doing the work - nor I am not sure that Wilson has reputation that needs to be enhanced - he is already highly thought of and looked up to....not sure what he gains by doing this and posting on social media, beyond bringing attention to the kids and the families who are suffering.

These are also activities that he has been involved in since the moment he was drafted by the team. Seems like something he would want to do regardless of the situation

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":6y7cnoe7 said:
NINEster":6y7cnoe7 said:

Curious if you've come across any information indicating that the kids or families that he visits think that he was doing it for the press or being disingenuous during his visit. If not, what's the problem?
It's usually the phony nobodies that jack jaw and try and deface the good deeds performed by others.
Some of the kids get thrilled that they get to have somebody of Russell Wilson's stature being filmed for all the world to see....It's a life changing event for some.
Think of it this way......Russell Wilson has butt-loads of money, he's already made it, so he doesn't need to keep doing this..... But he chooses to continue, even at the risk of being perceived as a glory hound to nobodies like NINEster, eh?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NINEster":2txm15fy said:
Rob12":2txm15fy said:
Tech Worlds":2txm15fy said:

Advertising your good deeds to help inspire others to follow suit though?

Dig for dirt and you'll get a shovel full...

Ozzy

Reaction score
HansGruber":2s9b9w5h said:
We are defined by our actions. When a person acts the same way over a period of time, that is who they are. There is no "fake" or "real".

Actions speak louder than words.

I would only care if the criticism came from someone who does more charity work than Russell. Otherwise, sit down and shut up. You haven't earned the right to criticize.
I'm confused, is this the same hans? Regardless I agree with you here.

HansGruber

Reaction score
NINEster":3q11kp4x said:
Rob12":3q11kp4x said:
Tech Worlds":3q11kp4x said:

When was the last time you visited a bunch of terminally ill children in a hospital in your spare time? Did you go every Tuesday for 3-4 years straight?

Didn't think so.

253hawk

Reaction score
So I guess Wilson is supposed to tell the staff and families not to share his visits on social media, because the frequency is hurting his cred? Wow. Just wow. :177692:

Passepartout

Reaction score
He is not fake at all. Really like the guy. Seems to be classy. But at times, he should not always publicize his good works. As that he needs to be quiet about it. And really not a fan of Ciara's at all. Something wrong with that mix?! :( Will leave it at that!

Dismas

Reaction score
Russell visits a ton of kids on Tuesdays, yet only a few of the pics get posted online.

Perhaps, just maybe, the pics posted are by request? I am sure the kids are thrilled, and some of them, or their parents, WANT the pic online, just like the myriad people who get a selfy with someone and post it online?

IMO, Russell keeps his good deeds mostly private, and when he does post a pic, it is probably at the request of the subject.

Ozzy

Reaction score
People are reaching for something that isn't there. They get posted for the families not because of self promotion. This is ridiculous....

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Three thoughts

1. By design he is fake with the press in his rah rah post game stuff and it does get old; when a question is asked you already know the answer.

2. "Go Hawks" to close pressers has almost become a way of 12's closing with each other instead of saying "Good Bye". "Go Hawks" is not fake nor is it a cliche.

3. Tuesday night visits to the hospital to see sick or dieing children are sincere and consistent. If he had done it once yes it would be fake; but the staff in his case looks forward to the visits as opposed to inconistent or one time visit by others may interfere with then doing their jobs.; no way are they fake.

NINEster

Reaction score
scutterhawk":13spt6ir said:
Laloosh":13spt6ir said:
NINEster":13spt6ir said:

It's usually the phony nobodies that jack jaw and try and deface the good deeds performed by others.
Some of the kids get thrilled that they get to have somebody of Russell Wilson's stature being filmed for all the world to see....It's a life changing event for some.
Think of it this way......Russell Wilson has butt-loads of money, he's already made it, so he doesn't need to keep doing this..... But he chooses to continue, even at the risk of being perceived as a glory hound to nobodies like NINEster, eh?

Again, this stuff isn't TERRIBLE....it's just eye rolling.

Doesn't matter whether or not I visit the children's hospitals myself. Nice try, as if that is what makes a person a good contributor to society. And even if I did do the "ultimate good deed" of visiting those hospitals, it wouldn't be broadcast here or even to most people in my circle.

Wilson being an NFL star puts more of the burden on him to do these "good things" than normal folk as that's what the modern day sponsored athlete star is "supposed to do", just like a starting NFL QB should dress up nice and not with headphones on his head (there, I said it).

I would call out anyone for this behavior, not just a football player, Seahawk, etc. Go on your Facebook scroll right now and differentiate between the "look at me" crowd versus the more low key people.

It doesn't bother everyone but there are those like me where the constant attention seeking gets tiring, whether it's showing off or informing others of their wonderful contributions to society.....A LOT. We're all entitled to our sprinkles here and there but to be a constant reminder is annoying.....I.M.O.

As far as Wilson is concerned, it is just another little thing he does part of his good guy persona that people are starting to PERCEIVE as being disingenuous. When it hits the national level and not just those annoying NFC West fans, maybe there's something to it.

You've heard the term "perception is reality" I'm sure. Fair or not, it's how the world works.

Kap went from being perceived as a good guy to a d**** within the course of 2-3 seasons. Is he really one? I'm not sure, but the national perception has him stamped out as such. His actions of late make it hard to argue against, and if enough people say it's true, it must be true.....right?

In case you think this is a witch hunt against Wilson, Peyton Manning's persona in recent times has shed a different light on his perception too.

Anyways, I never started this thread. And there are Seahawk fans not totally thrilled with his behavior.

In the end, fake or not, Wilson will be ok as will all here. :th2thumbs:

NINEster

Reaction score
Seahawk772002":lwd2zuvc said:
Three thoughts

1. By design he is fake with the press in his rah rah post game stuff and it does get old; when a question is asked you already know the answer.

2. "Go Hawks" to close pressers has almost become a way of 12's closing with each other instead of saying "Good Bye". "Go Hawks" is not fake nor is it a cliche.

3. Tuesday night visits to the hospital to see sick or dieing children are sincere and consistent. If he had done it once yes it would be fake; but the staff in his case looks forward to the visits as opposed to inconistent or one time visit by others may interfere with then doing their jobs.; no way are they fake.

You're right.

They're not fake at all.

He has a genuine care for the kids.

So how often should he be broadcasting these visits?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NINEster":3miggl27 said:
Seahawk772002":3miggl27 said:
Three thoughts

You're right.

They're not fake at all.

He has a genuine care for the kids.

So how often should he be broadcasting these visits?

As often as he feels necessary. Pretty good chance it's not all about him. But carry on.

You've really sold yourself short here. Honestly. You look silly.

253hawk

Reaction score
Pretty sure the kids and families get a huge thrill out of it as well. If they don't want it shared, I'm sure his media team complies. Just because it's his social media account doesn't mean it's all about him -- he just has a larger platform for which to share the experiences he has with the kids and their families and give them a little exposure. Only doing it once in a while might seem like snubbing at this point if he doesn't offer it to everyone. It'd be like signing a bunch of memorabilia for people and occasionally just telling a random person "Nope, not for you."

Almost all of the 'official' accounts that celebrities have are run by a media handler or a team of them, anyway. Even some of Carroll's tweets now and then are just standard PR bytes that aren't written by him. I'd bet money that Wilson isn't the one actively deciding what to post online in these regards as it's all being carefully handled by his team.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
https://storify.com/jwkpfk/doug-baldwin ... ilson-spat

This is really a matter of belief. In reality it's probably a little of both sincerity and exploitation. Whether the chicken came before the egg is a different story and would never be known unless things like the link above are true or not and even then that was just Doug's opinion at the time and may not be as such now. Most Hawks fans cannot be objective about things like this though. The average NFL fanhood is a lot closer to gang related or even religious than not.

One thing that is true about it is that the kids do get something out of it, regardless of reasoning.

Anthony!

Reaction score
NINEster":1stf6257 said:
scutterhawk":1stf6257 said:
Laloosh":1stf6257 said:
NINEster":1stf6257 said:

Again, this stuff isn't TERRIBLE....it's just eye rolling.

Doesn't matter whether or not I visit the children's hospitals myself. Nice try, as if that is what makes a person a good contributor to society. And even if I did do the "ultimate good deed" of visiting those hospitals, it wouldn't be broadcast here or even to most people in my circle.

Wilson being an NFL star puts more of the burden on him to do these "good things" than normal folk as that's what the modern day sponsored athlete star is "supposed to do", just like a starting NFL QB should dress up nice and not with headphones on his head (there, I said it).

I would call out anyone for this behavior, not just a football player, Seahawk, etc. Go on your Facebook scroll right now and differentiate between the "look at me" crowd versus the more low key people.

It doesn't bother everyone but there are those like me where the constant attention seeking gets tiring, whether it's showing off or informing others of their wonderful contributions to society.....A LOT. We're all entitled to our sprinkles here and there but to be a constant reminder is annoying.....I.M.O.

As far as Wilson is concerned, it is just another little thing he does part of his good guy persona that people are starting to PERCEIVE as being disingenuous. When it hits the national level and not just those annoying NFC West fans, maybe there's something to it.

You've heard the term "perception is reality" I'm sure. Fair or not, it's how the world works.

Kap went from being perceived as a good guy to a d**** within the course of 2-3 seasons. Is he really one? I'm not sure, but the national perception has him stamped out as such. His actions of late make it hard to argue against, and if enough people say it's true, it must be true.....right?

In case you think this is a witch hunt against Wilson, Peyton Manning's persona in recent times has shed a different light on his perception too.

Anyways, I never started this thread. And there are Seahawk fans not totally thrilled with his behavior.

In the end, fake or not, Wilson will be ok as will all here. :th2thumbs:

"I would call out anyone for this behavior, not just a football player, Seahawk, etc. Go on your Facebook scroll right now and differentiate between the "look at me" crowd versus the more low key people."

Sure you would :roll:

Latest posts