Is Terrell Thomas headed to the Seahawks?

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
This is painful.

I know who Pinkins and Simons are. I am definitely talking about Simon. Pinkins, a sixth round pick, got burned once, diring rookie camp and never played corner again, Simon was burned at least twice. But even that is irrelevant because it was preseason. The real evaluation just started and it is not a good sign that they decided to go out and sign an experienced starter.

Please don't use one or two sentences by Pete Carroll during the preseason to conclude that Simon is ready to play cornerback in the NFL. He hasn't had a chance to show anything yet. Right now, he is a completely inexperienced fifth-round pick. The Seahawks are very thin at backup corner. Simon is probably the best of the bunch as far as the backups and it is not surprising that he gets playing time in practice, but that is not enough to conclude that he is great.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Winfield was an attrition loss because we had so much depth. That isn't the case this year. Pinkins isn't a lock to make the team as a rookie, and if he does, it may be as a safety rather than a CB (he's a bit of a project as a CB). We lost Browner and Thurmond to other teams. That leaves us with two backups/possible nickel guys plus Shead as a multi-position guy.

T2 was the starting nickel corner for the Giants last season, and a starting outside corner before the knee injuries. He's no lock to make the 53, but I wouldn't assume he's just camp fodder either.

Edit: We do currently have some UDFAs on the roster. It's possible one of them sticks as depth. I still wouldn't assume T2 is a throwaway signing. If his knee holds up, he's got a decent shot at making the team while one or two of the youngsters goes to the PS.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Bob_the_Destroyer":r4xmuc9j said:
This is painful.

I know who Pinkins and Simons are. I am definitely talking about Simon. Pinkins, a sixth round pick, got burned once, diring rookie camp and never played corner again, Simon was burned at least twice. But even that is irrelevant because it was preseason. The real evaluation just started and it is not a good sign that they decided to go out and sign an experienced starter.

Please don't use one or two sentences by Pete Carroll during the preseason to conclude that Simon is ready to play cornerback in the NFL. He hasn't had a chance to show anything yet. Right now, he is a completely inexperienced fifth-round pick. The Seahawks are very thin at backup corner. Simon is probably the best of the bunch as far as the backups and it is not surprising that he gets playing time in practice, but that is not enough to conclude that he is great.

Please don't use a signing for depth as a statement against the skills/development of a player. The signing of Thomas really doesn't say much about Simon, other than we needed more depth at the position and the current FO has a proven track record of making such moves throughout the preseason. It will all shake out, but it really doesn't say much about how they feel about Simon. They could love his current development and still want to bring in a more veteran presence to battle through camp.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Awesome signing. If he's healthy he's a better Thurmond and might actually compete with Lane.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's football, it's practice, it's pre season, if you ever played the game you understand that every time you line up you have a chance to get beat, remember this is the 1 percent of the 1 percent that get invited to an NFL camp out of everyone that ever put pads on in High School, they are all great players.

No player playing has never been beat at one time or another, it's what they do with it and how the learn from it that reduces the amount of times it occurs.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Thomas was a really good CB before he had all the injuries. He is coming off some major injuries, but if he can get back to his old self, he could posisbly be the third best CB on this team behind Sherm and Maxwell.

canucklhead

Reaction score
Usually just a lurker here, but have posted before in relation to the Giants. 40 year fan of both teams and have seasons to the Giants.

Prior to injury Thomas was a Grade A corner who looked like he'd be a fixture for years to come. 3 serious knee injuries later and he's a shell of what he once was. Played nickel last year covering the slot and repeatedly didn't have the quickness and closing ability he once had...and you could see the frustration bioling over in him when he'd get beat, as if to say "a few years ago I'd have been all over that."

Don't mean to be Debbie Downer but I'd be more surprised if Thomas makes the final roster than I'll be if he's cut during camp.