Is the sun rising or setting on the Seahawks?

chris98251

Reaction score
Sun will be out a bit longer, they moved to Daylight Savings Time :)

ringless

Reaction score
I believe the Seahawks will have a relatively easy path to the Division title this year. The Rams, and 49ers have too many holes, the Cardinals lost too many UFA's to overcome in one year. Seattle will at least get to the playoffs and then it's anyone guess.

After this season however I think we may see a larger decline in performance based off past results of a daunting defense that's showing a little wear and tear, combined with the overall effect of a few poor drafts.

While Seattle may be drafting DB's in hopes of finding replacements for the Sherman, Kam, Thomas, etc. Nobody will ever fill their shoes, and even more so unlikely to do what they did as a unit. This draft has to pay huge dividends, otherwise I think Seattle will have huge holes AFTER this season while other teams in the division may start to rise as is the ebb and flow of the NFL

semiahmoo

Reaction score
sdog1981":1f6opz74 said:
JGfromtheNW":1f6opz74 said:
Considering the roster, RW's contract/age, as well as Pete's contract/age; I'd say the sun is currently at it's highest point in the sky. It can get hotter or it can get cooler from here, but the potential for continuing runs for another SB is currently the highest it's been since our original "rising" between '12-'13, IMO.

Wilson will be here well into the 2020's and if he plays 20 seasons he will lead this team into the 2030's (first of all its crazy to think about the 2030's in a very real way, to begin with) Pete I would be surprised if he was with the team past the 2020 season. The sun is very much high in the sky for this Seahawks team.

He might play that long with a much better O-Line. Another couple seasons like the last one and he could go down for a long time and/or shorten his career considerably with all the accumulated injuries.

Great heart, but that little body was not made for the long haul beating he has been taking of late.

Be great to see him stick around for another 5-7 seasons at least.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I think I just read that Vegas had the Hawks tied with the Packers for the second favorites behind the Pats to win the Super Bowl. I like those odds. The future's still bright and we gotta wear shades.

nash72

Reaction score
If Wilson doesnt get hurt due to our horrible line, we'll make the playoffs by default because the NFC West is so bad, but if we get mauled in the 2nd round again, I think its time to blow it up and bring in a new staff.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
toffee":2ry5g2si said:
Sun was just starting to set, unless Pete can welcome in a group of productive youngsters.

Our stars on defense are not old but will be a year older, this draft, Pete apparently felt the need to draft defense side.

Our offense has not been productive on consistent basis for two seasons now ... the youth movement on offense certainly hasn't been working. When they were good, they weren't dominant, when they were bad, they were really really bad.

True. Offense looked as bad as any Seahawk offense over many seasons too often last season.

It was scary to see how much we could stink it up out there sometimes.
Panic

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sdog1981":2jnvhnuf said:
JGfromtheNW":2jnvhnuf said:
Considering the roster, RW's contract/age, as well as Pete's contract/age; I'd say the sun is currently at it's highest point in the sky. It can get hotter or it can get cooler from here, but the potential for continuing runs for another SB is currently the highest it's been since our original "rising" between '12-'13, IMO.

Wilson will be here well into the 2020's and if he plays 20 seasons he will lead this team into the 2030's (first of all its crazy to think about the 2030's in a very real way, to begin with) Pete I would be surprised if he was with the team past the 2020 season. The sun is very much high in the sky for this Seahawks team.

20 seasons?

I'm an optimistic person, but other thank kickers and punters, no one makes it 20 years in the NFL........especially a QB like Wilson who as we saw last year DESPERATELY needs his mobility and quickness to play at an elite level.

But I'll take 10-15 years.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23fexpln said:
sdog1981":23fexpln said:
JGfromtheNW":23fexpln said:

20 seasons?

I'm an optimistic person, but other thank kickers and punters, no one makes it 20 years in the NFL........especially a QB like Wilson who as we saw last year DESPERATELY needs his mobility and quickness to play at an elite level.

It's not totally out of the question. Tom Brady is entering his 18th season and Peyton Manning played 18 years before retirement. While it's not 20 seasons, they are close. Brady may reach that as it seems like he could play a couple of more seasons.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":197wldfg said:
Sgt. Largent":197wldfg said:
sdog1981":197wldfg said:
JGfromtheNW":197wldfg said:

20 seasons?

It's not totally out of the question. Tom Brady is entering his 18th season and Peyton Manning played 18 years before retirement. While it's not 20 seasons, they are close. Brady may reach that as it seems like he could play a couple of more seasons.

Like I said, different QB style. Brady is exactly the kind of QB that can play 20 years, because he doesn't have to move, same reason Manning lasted so long.

Where's Michael Vick right now? How long did RG3 last? How bout Donovan McNabb?

Wilson is a more complete QB than any of these QB's, but that doesn't mean his style of play isn't predicated on his mobility, quickness and allusiveness. IMO once Russell gets into his mid to last 30's and his mobility is 50% of what it used to be, gonna be hard for him to play like he does now.

sdog1981

Reaction score
15 Seasons still takes this team into the 2027 season. That means his replacement is 12 years old right now give or take a few draft classes.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2n5pz17f said:
Like I said, different QB style. Brady is exactly the kind of QB that can play 20 years, because he doesn't have to move, same reason Manning lasted so long.

Wilson is a more complete QB than any of these QB's, but that doesn't mean his style of play isn't predicated on his mobility, quickness and allusiveness. IMO once Russell gets into his mid to last 30's and his mobility is 50% of what it used to be, gonna be hard for him to play like he does now.

Wilson just hasn't had a consistent line that gives him a pocket to work with. He did well in the pocket in 2015 (end of the season) when the blocking improved. So if the OL improves and is able to give him a pocket, then his career maybe similar to Drew Brees who's been in the league for 17 seasons.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawkfan68":28283gii said:
if the OL improves and is able to give him a pocket, then his career maybe similar to Drew Brees who's been in the league for 17 seasons.

Brees has been a prototyical (if under-sized) pocket passer for his entire career, though. He's as good at manipulating the pocket as anyone in the NFL. It's just masterful and a ton of fun to watch (and without all the three-step-and-go cheats that Peyton and Brady benefited from).

Wilson is into the middle of his career now, and compared to all the other top QBs in the league he's still way behind in terms of using and manipulating the pocket. He's gotten a bit better and it's one of those skills that some QBs don't really start to excel at until their early 30s, but I don't think Brees is the good comparison.

As for guys who didn't do it well and then a light started to turn on later in their careers, I think Ben Rapes, Steve Young, and McNabb are better examples.

Just my 2cents though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2qhv5e65 said:
Sgt. Largent":2qhv5e65 said:

Wilson just hasn't had a consistent line that gives him a pocket to work with. He did well in the pocket in 2015 (end of the season) when the blocking improved. So if the OL improves and is able to give him a pocket, then his career maybe similar to Drew Brees who's been in the league for 17 seasons.

O-line is certainly an issue, but part of why Russell has success in the pocket IS that threat of breaking contain and running.

Which is why he didn't have that same success when hurt last year inside the pocket as he did in 2015. Teams could gameplan for him being immobile, and he got crushed and his stats dropped in 2016.

So if he wants to get the Brady/Brees level of success he's going to have to vastly improve on his pocket passing game to where he's reading, recognizing and manipulating defenses like those guys do..........and most importantly doing it without the defense being worried about him breaking contain.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think Steve Young is probably a better comparable for Wilson, atleast in what may be his ceiling.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28c28pos said:
hawkfan68":28c28pos said:
Sgt. Largent":28c28pos said:

O-line is certainly an issue, but part of why Russell has success in the pocket IS that threat of breaking contain and running.

Which is why he didn't have that same success when hurt last year inside the pocket as he did in 2015. Teams could gameplan for him being immobile, and he got crushed and his stats dropped in 2016.

So if he wants to get the Brady/Brees level of success he's going to have to vastly improve on his pocket passing game to where he's reading, recognizing and manipulating defenses like those guys do..........and most importantly doing it without the defense being worried about him breaking contain.

Which raises a chicken/egg question:

Do you load that onto his plate now and how so? Or do you wait until a moment in the future to direct the offense to more of this style of QB play?

I feel like if anyone has earned the right (not literal guys) to sink or swim with more, it's RW. It might not be a rousing success in the now but you can't get better at stuff you never do out of fear of fail.

irocdave

Reaction score
I think this is the cross roads year for the Hawks. If the FO hits it big in this years draft, the Hawks will continue to be a front running team and be a team to not count out for making it to the SB. Another mediocre draft, and it's back to mediocre, which for a long time was OK for this organization. You have to take in to account Pets age, he isnt going to be doing what he does for 10 more years. I'm sure PA has his back, until the team doesn't draft well AND doesn't perform for a couple of years.

The past couple of drafts and paying guys that are getting older have chipped away at the steam PC has had as well as the team in general. The draft picks need to keep paying dividends, Pete doesn't have the leeway a guy like John Harbough has.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1tirvb50 said:
hawkfan68":1tirvb50 said:
if the OL improves and is able to give him a pocket, then his career maybe similar to Drew Brees who's been in the league for 17 seasons.

Brees has been a prototyical (if under-sized) pocket passer for his entire career, though. He's as good at manipulating the pocket as anyone in the NFL. It's just masterful and a ton of fun to watch (and without all the three-step-and-go cheats that Peyton and Brady benefited from).

Wilson is into the middle of his career now, and compared to all the other top QBs in the league he's still way behind in terms of using and manipulating the pocket. He's gotten a bit better and it's one of those skills that some QBs don't really start to excel at until their early 30s, but I don't think Brees is the good comparison.

As for guys who didn't do it well and then a light started to turn on later in their careers, I think Ben Rapes, Steve Young, and McNabb are better examples.

Just my 2cents though.

Agreed. As he slows down (he already is) Wilson will struggle. He's just too short in this day and age to play pocket and will be too slow to do the sandlot style. Now if he had a dominant RB that would lessen the load considerably but those are far and few between.

He has 2-3 season left of top tier and then he will slow down and be prone to sack-related injury IMO.

Hey, love the guy's heart but keeping it real. His game is not made for the long game MO...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
sdog1981":k6u453jv said:
15 Seasons still takes this team into the 2027 season. That means his replacement is 12 years old right now give or take a few draft classes.

RW does not make 15 seasons.

Highly unlikely.

He has 3-5 left in the tank IMO.

After that, it's gonna get real tough for him. He'll be too slow and he's too short to play pocket in this league of giants.

Josea16

Reaction score
semiahmoo":dnesrd5n said:
Popeyejones":dnesrd5n said:
hawkfan68":dnesrd5n said:

Just my 2cents though.

Agreed. As he slows down (he already is) Wilson will struggle. He's just too short in this day and age to play pocket and will be too slow to do the sandlot style. Now if he had a dominant RB that would lessen the load considerably but those are far and few between.

He has 2-3 season left of top tier and then he will slow down and be prone to sack-related injury IMO.

Hey, love the guy's heart but keeping it real. His game is not made for the long game MO...
Wow, you could attempt to hide your contempt of the Seahawks... Wilson is too short to be fully successful really? That's old, seriously old. Hit us with something related to reality yeah? :17:

Hell, you're half in with Marvin "Spin Me Right Round" you still might be a Seahawk fan until you agree with Popeyejones that man is a lawyer, liar, really good arguer and it shows. :stirthepot:

Look the Seahawks are allocating their money slightly different than New England but they are at their level and can beat them anywhere, anyplace. That's all you can ask for in the NFL.

OP
OP
T

Tusc2000

Reaction score
semiahmoo":2vd4kqlw said:
sdog1981":2vd4kqlw said:

RW does not make 15 seasons.

Highly unlikely.

He has 3-5 left in the tank IMO.

After that, it's gonna get real tough for him. He'll be too slow and he's too short to play pocket in this league of giants.

Good heavens. Too short to play in the pocket? Wow.

RW's ability to last 15 seasons is dependent upon his staying healthy. His ability to stay healthy is dependent upon an O-line that keeps him from hard sacks or from scurrying out of the pocket frequently and exposing himself to knee and ankle injuries. This has nothing whatsoever to do with his height. Holy crap. It has everything to do with his O-line.

Latest posts