Is the sun rising or setting on the Seahawks?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
You can get him a line but a line won't make him taller and in fact, he seems to struggle seeing over those big fellas.

RW was great when defenses had to account for BeastMode runs and RW was freed up to squirt out of the pocket for easy yards and/or sandlot scramble passes. Once the run game faultered, RW's weaknesses were more fully exposed.

He's done remarkable well with crap lines. Not denying that.

The question is if he can play at an elite level for 15 seasons in this league. Given he is going to slow way down, is too short to be a dominant pocket player, I say no. Not going to happen. He holds the ball too long too many times because he has trouble seeing the routes.

If we don't get to the Big Show within the next 3-5 seasons, I think RW's window closes on that part of his career. The slower he gets, the less effective he will be. To say he could play a career the length of Brady or Manning is comparing two long-legged NFL snipers to a scrambling little guy with a huge heart. That huge heart that Russ has won't carry him to a 15+ year career in this league. He might journeyman it as a backup for a few seasons before hanging it up but he won't dominate for 15+ seasons. No way.

So let's all just enjoy the next 3-5 seasons and hope the Hawks are greater than the sum of their parts and we get to see another legit Super Bowl run or two.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
semiahmoo":z2yrc80e said:
You can get him a line but a line won't make him taller and in fact, he seems to struggle seeing over those big fellas.

RW was great when defenses had to account for BeastMode runs and RW was freed up to squirt out of the pocket for easy yards and/or sandlot scramble passes. Once the run game faultered, RW's weaknesses were more fully exposed.

He's done remarkable well with crap lines. Not denying that.

The question is if he can play at an elite level for 15 seasons in this league. Given he is going to slow way down, is too short to be a dominant pocket player, I say no. Not going to happen. He holds the ball too long too many times because he has trouble seeing the routes.

If we don't get to the Big Show within the next 3-5 seasons, I think RW's window closes on that part of his career. The slower he gets, the less effective he will be. To say he could play a career the length of Brady or Manning is comparing two long-legged NFL snipers to a scrambling little guy with a huge heart. That huge heart that Russ has won't carry him to a 15+ year career in this league. He might journeyman it as a backup for a few seasons before hanging it up but he won't dominate for 15+ seasons. No way.

So let's all just enjoy the next 3-5 seasons and hope the Hawks are greater than the sum of their parts and we get to see another legit Super Bowl run or two.

Can we wait till Paul Allen throws in the towel before we call it quits? Even then he will probably pass a good torch. We didn't win the lottery. This was a strategically earned franchise of success. Starts at ownership.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Josea16":u8uoet7u said:
semiahmoo":u8uoet7u said:
Popeyejones":u8uoet7u said:
hawkfan68":u8uoet7u said:
if the OL improves and is able to give him a pocket, then his career maybe similar to Drew Brees who's been in the league for 17 seasons.

Brees has been a prototyical (if under-sized) pocket passer for his entire career, though. He's as good at manipulating the pocket as anyone in the NFL. It's just masterful and a ton of fun to watch (and without all the three-step-and-go cheats that Peyton and Brady benefited from).

Wilson is into the middle of his career now, and compared to all the other top QBs in the league he's still way behind in terms of using and manipulating the pocket. He's gotten a bit better and it's one of those skills that some QBs don't really start to excel at until their early 30s, but I don't think Brees is the good comparison.

As for guys who didn't do it well and then a light started to turn on later in their careers, I think Ben Rapes, Steve Young, and McNabb are better examples.

Just my 2cents though.

Agreed. As he slows down (he already is) Wilson will struggle. He's just too short in this day and age to play pocket and will be too slow to do the sandlot style. Now if he had a dominant RB that would lessen the load considerably but those are far and few between.

He has 2-3 season left of top tier and then he will slow down and be prone to sack-related injury IMO.

Hey, love the guy's heart but keeping it real. His game is not made for the long game MO...

Hell, you're half in with Marvin "Spin Me Right Round" you still might be a Seahawk fan until you agree with Popeyejones that man is a lawyer, liar, really good arguer and it shows. :stirthepot:

Wait a second, you're quoting a post of mine in which I say I don't think Drew Brees is a good comparison, but for Wilson's age and where he might end up he can still have the type of career in his 30s that we saw from Steve Young (a hall of famer!), Ben Rapes (a future hall of famer), or Donovan McNabb (a very, very good QB) after their physical abilities started to decline.

You sure you want to object to me arguing that even after age sets in and physical ability declines there's the chance of Wilson still performing at a hall of fame level?

That's a dirty trick by me? Some kind of underhanded manipulation?

You're still smarting over me having said that the Hawks overpaid a bit for Cary Williams, or that the contract they gave Baldwin was a good one that valued his contribution at about 1000-1250 yards and 6-8 TDS per year, which I thought was fair value? I got a TON of crap from a bunch of folks here for saying those things.

But getting crap for saying that Wilson can have the career trajectory of Steve Young or Ben Rapes is craaaaaaaaaaaazzzy. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
And just because this actually annoying me right now, here's pull quotes from my posting history here:

2013:
Popeyejones":vc5vf1g9 said:
Wilson reminds me more of Steve Young than any other QB I've ever seen, and coming from a 9ers fan who actually thinks Young >>>>> Montana, that's about as big of a compliment as I can give a football player. Wilson has a chance of ending up being better than Young too.

2014:
He reminds me of Steve Young, who is my favorite QB of all time.

2015:
Wilson has been my favorite of the young QBs. This is partially because he reminds me more of Steve Young than anyone I've seen before.

As I've been saying since his rookie year he reminds me more of Steve Young -- my favorite QB -- than any other NFL player I've ever seen.

2016:
one of the reasons I like Wilson so much is because he reminds me more of Steve Young than any QB I've ever seen. I think it's a great, great comparison.

I think some of y'all just object to a non-Hawks fan saying what they actually believe. Any time I honestly think something that doesn't flatter you it gets piled on into how "biased" I am, and any time I honestly think something that is flattering to you, it just gets brushed aside and forgotten, or treated as some high-level manipulation by me to get away with still being a meannie poopie-face. :lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
Ahhh pulling the poopie face card now are we :0

I will say that you are more objective in your discussions then many, personally I may not agree all the time but you bring food for thought in most posts.

Latest posts