is there a new-ish Kaep thread?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":sd2x750m said:
Fade":sd2x750m said:
A year or two ago his asking price was $20M a year.
Stop getting your news from Facebook and talk radio. That is completely made up. He did not set such a price for NFL teams. The 20 million rumor was with respect to the Alliance of American Football, and while I doubt it is true, it if is true, he and everyone involved knew it was an impossible price, and clearly would be a statement of some kind to the people involved (in other words, a big middle finger for the AAF thinking they could use him to get ratings, exposure and to make money).

He never had contract discussions with any team after he left the 49ers (which, by the way, involved John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan telling him that he'd be cut if he didn't opt out, due to the fact that he is not a fit for Shanahan's system. This was confirmed by Lynch, and even Fox News has an article on it). The Broncos did not offer him a contract (that was a trade discussion that happened BEFORE the protest); The Seahawks did not have contract discussions with him (that was a proposed workout that was cancelled); the Ravens did not have contract discussions with him (that was an internal discussion among the Ravens brass about whether or not to try to sign him, which was ended when Kap's girlfriend accused Ray Lewis of being an Uncle Tom).

Note: I don't care about Kaepernick. He's not a 49er any more. But I'm sick of seeing very OBVIOUS fake news about him.

The Broncos did in 2016 (a paycut as part of a trade). He turned it down. Regardless of circumstances, that happened. The Seahawks cancelled his visit after he made it clear he would not sign a contract that had language regarding kneeling. That, in itself, is "negotiating."

at this point, it doesnt matter. I don't think Kaep has been blackballed as much as teams just don't want to deal with him and his diminishing skills. I do believe he was, initially, ostracized, however. Now, he's 31 and hasn't played in the league in 3 years.

also, "Fake News" is the dumbest catch phrase of this era.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jhga4hz said:

Correct. but it keeps the lawyers off the cases for libel...or is it slander? They are both lies.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hearing he will be throwing passes to Brown, in the new black balled league.

olyfan63

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3nlkdztq said:
Fade":3nlkdztq said:
Stop getting your news from Facebook and talk radio. That is completely made up. He did not set such a price for NFL teams. The 20 million rumor was with respect to the Alliance of American Football, and while I doubt it is true, it if is true, he and everyone involved knew it was an impossible price, and clearly would be a statement of some kind to the people involved (in other words, a big middle finger for the AAF thinking they could use him to get ratings, exposure and to make money).

He never had contract discussions with any team after he left the 49ers (which, by the way, involved John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan telling him that he'd be cut if he didn't opt out, due to the fact that he is not a fit for Shanahan's system. This was confirmed by Lynch, and even Fox News has an article on it). The Broncos did not offer him a contract (that was a trade discussion that happened BEFORE the protest); The Seahawks did not have contract discussions with him (that was a proposed workout that was cancelled); the Ravens did not have contract discussions with him (that was an internal discussion among the Ravens brass about whether or not to try to sign him, which was ended when Kap's girlfriend accused Ray Lewis of being an Uncle Tom).

Note: I don't care about Kaepernick. He's not a 49er any more. But I'm sick of seeing very OBVIOUS fake news about him.

Appreciate the candor and most of this makes a lot of sense. Media reports included a lot of talk about him opting out of a guaranteed 15 zillion or whatever, to become a free agent, foolishly bet on getting a bigger payday elsewhere, and those reports seemed plausible. But without seeing exactly how his contract was structured, hard to know what was true.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Uncle Si":168ww5mb said:
5_Golden_Rings":168ww5mb said:
Fade":168ww5mb said:

The Broncos did in 2016 (a paycut as part of a trade). He turned it down. Regardless of circumstances, that happened. The Seahawks cancelled his visit after he made it clear he would not sign a contract that had language regarding kneeling. That, in itself, is "negotiating."

You must have missed the part where that happened BEFORE THE PROTEST. That trade discussion was before the preseason, and at no point post-protest blowup did the Broncos engage in any contract discussions with Kaepernick or the 49ers. And yes, the Seahawks workout was cancelled when he indicated he would continue to kneel (and saying that negotiating a WORKOUT is the same thing as negotiating a CONTRACT is, in itself, "deceiving"), and the Ravens thing was cancelled when his girlfriend sabotaged it. At no point was there a contract discussion POST-PROTEST.

at this point, it doesnt matter. I don't think Kaep has been blackballed as much as teams just don't want to deal with him and his diminishing skills. I do believe he was, initially, ostracized, however. Now, he's 31 and hasn't played in the league in 3 years.
It's because the risk of revenue lost due to snowflakes like the person I quoted boycotting a team over signing him (but being strangely fine when someone like Antonio Brown is signed, or Tyreek Hill not banished).

Whether or not the catch phrase is dumb is immaterial to the fact that PEOPLE are INCREDIBLY stupid today (or rather, incredibly stupid people have the means to spread their idiocy like never before), when they believe the bs they see on Facebook or Talk Radio or whatever NEWS ENTERTAINMENT source they prefer, refusing to cross-reference and fact check, and getting their blood roiled up without even investigating. THAT is freaking SAD.

I feel downright embarrassed for the species when I see so many obviously false "facts" being paraded about, "facts" which are found on social media or popular "news" sources which are parroted and reproduced by the mob of morons saturating social media today.

Choose a better phrase if you don't like "Fake News," but what it describes is very real, and very sad.

Mod edit: don't work your politics into posts

And by Zeus, the flat earthers...

Call it "Fake News," call it misinformation, call it idiocy, whatever you call it, it's real, and it's symptomatic of what happens when you put a powerful tool like the internet in the hands of idiots who suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect and are too stupid to fact check what they read.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
You're very emotional about it.

I didn't miss anything. As i said, "regardless of circumstances" indicates he turned down his chance, which was what was discussed.