Is this the best secondary in nfl history?

Reaction score
I was amazed today how great the boom played today. It got me thinking have I ever witnessed a better secondary since I have been watching football?
Pete and John, can find players out of nowhere, our coaches can flat out get production from them,and our depth is sick! To answer my own question from top to bottom it's the greatest I have ever seen since 1972.
What's your thoughts fellow 12's

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I honestly think it is. But then again I am a biased, longtime Seahawks diehard that doesn't know much about NFL history stats-wise. So take it for what it's worth. :)

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 22m
Hey, it just occurred to me that @RSherman_25 completed more "passes" in the end zone (1 to @Earl_Thomas) than Eli Manning did (0).

:rofl:

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't know. Probably will have to pull out stats but depends on how far back you can compare the stats. The rules on contact also muddies the water. Would like to see them stay strong and review it in a couple of years. They were good last year as well though they had some glitches due to scheme or talent (Lions/Dolphins/Falcons/etc).

morgulon1

Reaction score
What secondaries would we be comparing Boom to?

The 85 Bears secondary?

The 72 Dolphins?

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think the Pittsburgh secondary in the 70's, Raiders early 80's with Hayes and Haynes and Detroit with Lebeau, Night Train Lane and Barney are up for consideration. Seahawks might be the deepest elite secondary ever though.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
seahawk2k":3jh8zbp8 said:
I think the Pittsburgh secondary in the 70's, Raiders early 80's with Hayes and Haynes and Detroit with Lebeau, Night Train Lane and Barney are up for consideration. Seahawks might be the deepest elite secondary ever though.

Those are some good names but most of those are corners, lets not forget our safeties,and I agree I will argue our depth at corner is better then all of the great teams.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Those legendary secondaries had two starters of note. Our entire secondary plays at an elite level, regardless of who is on the field. No NFL team has ever matched what we do in the defensive backfield. None, ever, in the history of the game, has come close to holding six GREAT corners on their roster.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
seahawk2k":1b2tpo3v said:

Those are some good names but most of those are corners, lets not forget our safeties,and I agree I will argue our depth at corner is better then all of the great teams.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I'd say at least one of the deepest. It's an embarrassment of riches back there.

253hawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":29woc6ox said:
Overall they are up there.

But those Raiders with Hanes/Hayes... that was insane.

Back then they were able to get away with murder, almost literally. Those guys would get flagged every other play in Goodell's NFL.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Ask yourself how many "Elite" Quarterbacks/recievers have had their hats handed to them by these guys? Brady, Mannings, Rogers, Brees have all been left wanting by the LOB. That's a measure of supremacy if there ever was one. And they are all ours baby!

seahawk2k

Reaction score
The Great Hawktini":m4hpieka said:
seahawk2k":m4hpieka said:

Didn't I say that about the depth?

Dick Lebeau was a safety, and is in the top 10 all time in interceptions, as well as Lane. Lane and Barney are hall of famers. Thomas and Sherman could be hall of famers, but part of greatness is longevity. This is year 2 of this being an elite secondary. I think success needs to be sustained a little longer before we start throwing out "Greatest ever" labels. As far as single season performances? Yeah, thats a more legit argument.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
seahawk2k":1uxwnsep said:
The Great Hawktini":1uxwnsep said:
seahawk2k":1uxwnsep said:

Didn't I say that about the depth?

Dick Lebeau was a safety, and is in the top 10 all time in interceptions, as well as Lane. Lane and Barney are hall of famers. Thomas and Sherman could be hall of famers, but part of greatness is longevity. This is year 2 of this being an elite secondary. I think success needs to be sustained a little longer before we start throwing out "Greatest ever" labels. As far as single season performances? Yeah, thats a more legit argument.
. Didn't mean to sound argumentative bud thought Lane played corner ,and good points!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Well when you consider you are asking this question after a 5 Int game with our #2 and #3 CB not playing, I think that question answers itself.

Do we have the best starting 4 in the history? Or even the league? That's a tough question but being able to ask your backups to step in and not miss a beat is the argument of all arguments statements IMO.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Great Coaching + Future HoF safety Earl Thomas

Shermans a monster too and is also a future HoF , I just know he won't be a Seahawk forever. I can't blame him either. We can afford 14m and Someone will give him that . if not more

CornerHawk

Reaction score
Starters only or the whole depth chart? I would say yes for the depth chart. Starters deserve to be in the conversation.

Latest posts