Isn't the Seahawks mantra "We reward our own..."?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I absolutely would love to see Lynch stick around a few more seasons, but how sure are we that Lynch wants more seasons? Sure he held out this off season, but the speculation was that he knew he'd never see the final year of his deal, so he wanted more money now. What if Lynch, who mentioned retirement to his teammates last year, decides that he really is ready to retire? It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Basically, I suppose all I'm saying here is that I want to see Lynch retire a Seahawk, on his terms, and obviously before any serious injury.

kpak76

Reaction score
edogg23":2f3qlnfx said:
Lynch is under contract for next year, the seahawks don't need to resign him, they just need to not cut him next year. Why does he need a new contract?

After reading this thread it makes me think people don't understand this part. There is no reason to resign him. He is under contract for next year at top 5 RB pay. He' is not in the same boat as SA because we already paid him once really well. SA wasn't didn't make the big payday yet if I remember correctly when he re-upped. We ride him out to next year and see what he has in the tank after next. That will gauge much better if we need a new horse for the stable.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kpak76":8cfip1yo said:
edogg23":8cfip1yo said:
Lynch is under contract for next year, the seahawks don't need to resign him, they just need to not cut him next year. Why does he need a new contract?

After reading this thread it makes me think people don't understand this part. There is no reason to resign him. He is under contract for next year at top 5 RB pay. He' is not in the same boat as SA because we already paid him once really well. SA wasn't didn't make the big payday yet if I remember correctly when he re-upped. We ride him out to next year and see what he has in the tank after next. That will gauge much better if we need a new horse for the stable.

Yeah, you're right. Totally right. I guess maybe the question should be rephrased.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kpak76":25m5vm7t said:
edogg23":25m5vm7t said:

There's a reason most elite players don't play out the last year of their contracts, because they have the leverage to hold out and demand a new contract.

Right now Lynch is one of these players, and we know that, which is why we gave him 1.5M more this year when he was going to hold out. What makes you think he's going to be OK with risking coming into training camp next year without a new long term deal?

Just doesn't happen. Marshawn is GOING to get a new deal next off season, either here or elsewhere.

kpak76

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17aqr5yc said:
kpak76":17aqr5yc said:
edogg23":17aqr5yc said:

There's a reason most elite players don't play out the last year of their contracts, because they have the leverage to hold out and demand a new contract.

Right now Lynch is one of these players, and we know that, which is why we gave him 1.5M more this year when he was going to hold out. What makes you think he's going to be OK with risking coming into training camp next year without a new long term deal?

Just doesn't happen. Marshawn is GOING to get a new deal next off season, either here or elsewhere.

This is not a given. We do not have to release him and can make him play under his current contract. If he refuses, he can retire because he will be sitting out next year. I know the general consensus is that we release him to either resign him for bigger money or let him walk, but its not a choice this FO has to make. We are the ones holding the cards here not Lynch.

Also superstar players do finish out their deals, but its rare because usually the player loses a step and is cut by the team when he starts to suck. But when players are good, they finish out their deals AKA Jarred Allen.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
He is a great player and if the front office had a crystal ball and knew he could run at this same level for 2-3 more years, I would pay him top 3 money today (so does anyone have a crystal ball?). With that said, he's signed for one more year at top 5 money (for the RB position), so I just don't see the front office doing much more than what they did this season if they want to keep him and maybe giving him a little extra money. Great player, but you just never know when someone will hit that wall in sports and paying future money out to guys not on the team anymore, cripples teams for years after that player is gone.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h1k39lh said:

Exactly. And I think most people commenting on this issue, in this thread and others, understand the situation. Lynch isn't just going to play-out next year... I'd think he'd just walk away before that happens.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kpak76":yhjykxb9 said:
This is not a given. We do not have to release him and can make him play under his current contract. If he refuses, he can retire because he will be sitting out next year. I know the general consensus is that we release him to either resign him for bigger money or let him walk, but its not a choice this FO has to make. We are the ones holding the cards here not Lynch.

Also superstar players do finish out their deals, but its rare because usually the player loses a step and is cut by the team when he starts to suck. But when players are good, they finish out their deals AKA Jarred Allen.

I'm not talking about superstar players that have lost a step, I'm talking about superstar players that are as good, or even better going into the last year.

Please give me an example of a superstar player that played out the last year of his deal?

We can certainly call Lynch's bluff and see if he holds out, but then nobody wins. We don't have our best player, the money still sits on the cap in limbo and Lynch doesn't get paid.

That's why these things always get worked out. He's either going to get a new deal or get traded to a team that gives him a new deal. But him just coming back for one more year on his old deal? Just isn't going to happen.

TCHawkfan

Reaction score
Man just played one of the best games of a stellar career! Not showing any indication of slowing down. Add 30-40 carries he should have had in the 2 games where Bevell didn't use him an he would be at close to 900 rushing yards for the season. There is NO ONE on the planet who is Beast II, he is unique, you are not going to replace him. The window for winning is pretty short in the NFL. Figure out a way to pay the man for as long as he 8) 8) 8) wants to provide his services.

chrispy

Reaction score
I think the Hawks do reward their own, but there are circumstances where it's just not possible. If every player that played out a contract was resigned, they'd be in dead money hell. The piece that has only been tip toed around earlier in this thread is money. Lynch is making 6 mil this yr plu 500K in roster bonuses. Next yr that goes to 5 mil plus 2 mil in roster bonuses. 7 mil for a 29 yr old RB is pretty stout. (For comparison purposes, in '06 Alexander was signed to 8 yr, 62 mill, 15 guaranteed; and we all know how that turned out).

There are 2 questions that should dictate the answer. 1)What can he get elsewhere? 2)If we beat other offers, who else do we lose to make our cap? 7 mil would be 5% of our cap (if you believe the estimates of 140 mil cap in 2015). With Michael (just under 1 mil) and Turbin (775K) we're at almost 9 mil with 3 RBs

Here's an analysis on his contract that was done during his hold out this past offseason.
http://overthecap.com/declining-rb-prod ... -modeling/
Toward the end, it talks about a 5 mil/yr being middle of the road. If the Hawks re-sign Lynch, it would really only be for one or two years. If we can sign him for lower money with incentives, it's probably a worthwhile risk considering his production should fall below his standard 1000 yd season. If he wants a raise and/or guaranteed money, I think we have to cut him, let him shop around, and make a middle of the road offer to try to get him cheaper with whatever money is left over once other younger extensions have been hammered out.

This decision will probably get easier to make as the season goes on. If he has a couple more 4 TD 140 yd games to carry the team into the playoffs OR if he gets injured late in the season and misses time or isn't quite the same... well either situation will dictate the obvious answer.

edogg23

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21ghgh50 said:
kpak76":21ghgh50 said:

I'm not talking about superstar players that have lost a step, I'm talking about superstar players that are as good, or even better going into the last year.

Please give me an example of a superstar player that played out the last year of his deal?

We can certainly call Lynch's bluff and see if he holds out, but then nobody wins. We don't have our best player, the money still sits on the cap in limbo and Lynch doesn't get paid.

That's why these things always get worked out. He's either going to get a new deal or get traded to a team that gives him a new deal. But him just coming back for one more year on his old deal? Just isn't going to happen.

I'm not so sure Lynch cares about a multi year deal. Noone even knows when he wants to retire. This could very easily be his last year in the league for all we know. That would probably be a smart move on his part if he has saved his money. His body isn't going to be in good shape when he gets older with the amount of abuse he takes.

kpak76

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hstjotm said:
kpak76":2hstjotm said:

Didn't I just give you an example in Jarred Allen?

Kevin Williams is another one.

Also the money stays in limbo but can be transfered to next years cap if he does sit out. Better to let him sit out next year than go for play for someone else. The Hawks are still a buisiness and sometimes you have to make tough personell choices.

I see that Lynch is running with great heart this year, but I still am wary about extending him beyond his current contract. I want to see what he has next year before I commit more dollars to him.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Rewarding people for past performance is and will always be a bad way to run a football team.

kpak76

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1u8jofvl said:
Rewarding people for past performance is and will always be a bad way to run a football team.

Yup, well said.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kpak76":352a3gto said:
Sgt. Largent":352a3gto said:
kpak76":352a3gto said:

Also the money stays in limbo but can be transfered to next years cap if he does sit out. Better to let him sit out next year than go for play for someone else. The Hawks are still a buisiness and sometimes you have to make tough personell choices.

I see that Lynch is running with great heart this year, but I still am wary about extending him beyond his current contract. I want to see what he has next year before I commit more dollars to him.

Neither Allen or Williams were even close to the peak of their careers, and therefore only played out the last year of their deals because they knew they had no leverage to demand a new contract.

Again for the 3rd time, Lynch is the #1 RB in the league right now and will have all the leverage in the world to demand a new deal...........and will demand a new deal............and will get a new deal.

kpak76

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2h7elpgi said:
kpak76":2h7elpgi said:
Sgt. Largent":2h7elpgi said:
kpak76":2h7elpgi said:

Neither Allen or Williams were even close to the peak of their careers, and therefore only played out the last year of their deals because they knew they had no leverage to demand a new contract.

Again for the 3rd time, Lynch is the #1 RB in the league right now and will have all the leverage in the world to demand a new deal...........and will demand a new deal............and will get a new deal.

Niether is Lynch, whats your point?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kpak76":1061gz68 said:

You must not have watched the game yesterday.

Maybe some of you guys are new fans to the game and don't understand how contracts work in the NFL. That's the only thing I can chalk this up to.

You're naive to think Lynch will happy and content walking into camp next year without a new deal. A player's window of opportunity to maximize his earnings is very finite. So why would he do that?

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
kpak76":3iijdjne said:
SonicHawk":3iijdjne said:

Yup, well said.

Paying players for future unproven performance is an equally bad way to run a team. That said, I don't think anyone here is talking about "Rewarding" Lynch...

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3c5am1ej said:
kpak76":3c5am1ej said:

You must not have watched the game yesterday.

Maybe some of you guys are new fans to the game and don't understand how contracts work in the NFL. That's the only thing I can chalk this up to.

You're naive to think Lynch will happy and content walking into camp next year without a new deal. A player's window of opportunity to maximize his earnings is very finite. So why would he do that?

I dont think Lynch would be happy. But I dont think Lynch holds the cards like you think.

If he holdsout, we just let him holdout. Then we dont pay him, as he will be subject to pay forfeiture. So it will be like we cut him, and he cant play for anyone else. On top of which, he will have a whole year of no play and completely hurt his bargaining power at age 31 for the next season.

If Lynch is done, and doesnt care, then it wont matter to him. But if he wants more money, holding out is his worst option. Its not like it used to be, and the new CBA makes sure that teams dont lose out on money from players holding out.

This is a win-win situation for the team. They can play the high risk cards and extend him to a big contract. They can play the current cards and make him play out his current contract. Whether he plays or not is on him, but it would be no different then option 3, which is to just cut him right out.

So I think the smart option is straight up, force him to play out his contract and roll the dice on free agency for 2015.

Latest posts