It’s Ben Johnson right?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I like all of what you just said until the last 3 words. We do need a bridge veteran at QB like you said. Why not Geno? He's not elite but he's not average either. If BJ is a QB whisperer then have him work his magic on a rookie as our future AND on Geno as our bridge.
20 million reasons why. Let the new HC and JS invest those dollars elsewhere.

Of course if they do get Johnson, I could see him wanting to role with Geno for Goff 2.0

But on the third hand, I can see JS wanting a clean break from ’Pete’s guy’

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
When we did second interview with Patrick Graham on Tuesday, we were compliant. We are waiting because someone dropped the ball on the window to talk to Mike McDonald.
The whole thing is confusing. I’ve see multiple media references to compliance meaning two in-person qualifying candidates, but the NFL site says one external interview and multiple ‘considerations’

Anyone have a link to the actual black letter law as opposed to the reference below?

CactusJack

Reaction score
Guys, Johnson isn't coming here. He's taking the Commanders job. It's no secret.

Also, not bringing Slowik in for a 2nd interview this week is pretty telling as well. Kafka is the only OC they've interviewed twice. I think it's safe to say that they're targeting someone with a defensive background. MacDonald, Quinn, Evero & Graham. Those appear to be the four finalists.

Last edited:

SeaWolv

Reaction score
20 million reasons why. Let the new HC and JS invest those dollars elsewhere.

Of course if they do get Johnson, I could see him wanting to role with Geno for Goff 2.0

But on the third hand, I can see JS wanting a clean break from ’Pete’s guy’
Those 20 million "reasons" are pretty cheap price to pay for a decent QB in the league these days. Geno can give JS the time he needs to find "his guy" in order to make a break from "Pete's guy". No sense cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Chevy

Reaction score
I like all of what you just said until the last 3 words. We do need a bridge veteran at QB like you said. Why not Geno? He's not elite but he's not average either. If BJ is a QB whisperer then have him work his magic on a rookie as our future AND on Geno as our bridge.
Why not Geno? Because he cost $30+ million a year. We can use that money on stud defensive and offensive lineman instead. The QB whisperer could use his skills on a much cheaper 1 year bridge QB not named Geno.

Chevy

Reaction score
If not an Ben, then I would like Evero. He is a good communicator, his background is as a 3-4 defensive scheme coach, and he is humble (unlike some coaching disciples).

bigcc

Reaction score
More likely Mike MacDonald, follow by Ejiro Evero and Johnson.
I think Ben Johnson would be above Evero, but we'll have a better idea this week since we can interview Johnson again regardless of whether the lions win or lose.

bigcc

Reaction score
If not an Ben, then I would like Evero. He is a good communicator, his background is as a 3-4 defensive scheme coach, and he is humble (unlike some coaching disciples).

This is literally the first time in my life I've ever seen "humble" used as a trait someone wants in a head coach lol

CPHawk

Reaction score
Watching the lions, I still think Johnson would be a fool to pass on Seattle for DC. Not only do we have similar RB duo already, he doesn’t have a TK type WR in Detroit or DC. And call me crazy, but JSN could be used just like how he uses St.Brown. Seattle is set up for an offensive coach to look good, if the HC isn’t holding things back.

Wheetie

Reaction score
2 drives, 2 TDs. Don't care what Washington is offering Johnson, double it to get him to Seattle! Give him whatever he asks, monetarily and whatever else he stipulates.

vtxretro02

Reaction score
Looks like they will be able to talk with McDonald and Johnson now

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
To me, these guys are like 1 and 1a. While I still lean offense, there is something very enticing about a guy who has shown he can shut down these high-flying modern NFL offenses. Plus this copycat league is starting to get flooded with the same type of head coach. Maybe the pendulum is about to swing the other way as some have suggested. Can you imagine having a truly dominant defense again in our stadium? It would be such a huge advantage.
Yep. I see a team like the dolphins and the offense that can only beat mediocre teams - then I see baltimores defense dismantle SF - and well other teams -although the rams
Watching the lions, I still think Johnson would be a fool to pass on Seattle for DC. Not only do we have similar RB duo already, he doesn’t have a TK type WR in Detroit or DC. And call me crazy, but JSN could be used just like how he uses St.Brown. Seattle is set up for an offensive coach to look good, if the HC isn’t holding things back.
qell to be fair he may have some PTSD from the 9ers game

bigcc

Reaction score
Washington has the second pick in the draft and it wouldn't take a kings ransom to go from 2 to 1 (draft charts suggest something like round 1, 3 this year, 4, 5 next year)

I actually respect goff's growth, but he wasn't picked by Johnson... The idea of starting your HC career with the qb of your choice is obviously going to be appealing for any coach, particularly an offensive minded one

Wheetie

Reaction score
Washington has the second pick in the draft and it wouldn't take a kings ransom to go from 2 to 1 (draft charts suggest something like round 1, 3 this year, 4, 5 next year)

I actually respect goff's growth, but he wasn't picked by Johnson... The idea of starting your HC career with the qb of your choice is obviously going to be appealing for any coach, particularly an offensive minded one
#2 vs #16 in a QB rich class isn't a big difference. Seattle is still very appealing.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
#2 vs #16 in a QB rich class isn't a big difference. Seattle is still very appealing.
It's a huge difference, no matter how rich any given class is at any position.

The draft isn't like a vein of ore where we can keep mining the same precious metal. It's a collection of unique prospects.

While this draft is renowned to be deep in quarterbacks, the difference between 2 overall and 16 overall is the difference between QB2 and QB4 or QB5. The individual prospects matter.

You're talking about the difference between a legit elite prospect in Drake Maye (or Caleb, should the Bears shock the world) and having to take your chances on McCarthy, Nix, or Penix.

That's all the difference in the world, and it'll be up to the new coach to determine how much they care about that (it's probably a lot).

Then again, Washington would be wise to offer a chunk of their ridiculous cap space to Kirk Cousins and entice him back with new ownership and a hero's welcome, and proceed to get the most ridiculous trade down offer for Maye or Williams.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If Johnson thinks a Maye, Daniels or someone is a franchise guy he’d be crazy to pass that up. Like Maelstrom has mentioned before they have much better cap situation, a new owner, perfect draft capital and they do have some pieces on that team to work with.