It is pretty clear we need to ratchet our expectations back

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3414mnoq said:
How in the world does this sound disappointing to anyone? If the next 7 years produced similar numbers I'd be incredibly happy and grateful.

Because we were one yard away from more than that, and potentially MUCH more than that if team chemistry really has become a problem. And because the reasons we only have that are so blatantly obvious but Pete and John seem completely oblivious to it all.

nash72

Reaction score
Last season and this season woke me up some. With no change in philosophy and no change in the coaching staff, I no longer have any expectations of another Superbowl appearance anytime soon. Last couple of drafts have been weak, injuries will continue to happen, and the team still relies on the defense way too much and they are no longer up to the task. It seems like a lot of people are so paranoid that the franchise will sink back into the stage it was in during the 90's that they are just content with backing into the playoffs by default and taking the early exit. Its always stay the course and we'll just accept the results regardless even if they are in a decline. I see it as a horrible waste of time and talent and just wish there was some kind of turn in the direction the team is taking. We're going to be left with just one title with this group, and that stinks because they will be more remembered for the one they pissed away. What a shame. Five years from now, 'What Could Have Been' will be the team motto.

irfuben32

Reaction score
I expect them to continue to make the playoffs... but that is lowering my expectations.

This team was set up to have a dominate run and go down as one of the great NFL dynasties.

Injuries are not an excuse, they lost the quality depth with "shoot for the moon trades" that killed there cap space and cost them important draft picks

They also had there heart ripped out and did nothing to address it. Even if Bevell is a good OC he needed to go so the team could heal after that Play Call. It's tough to have that same fire after playing an entire superbowl with major injuries and have your miracle come back brainfarted away and no one is held accountable

NJlargent

Reaction score
My expectations for next year are one and done in playoffs only because the division is awful. If we were in NFC East or north we wouldn't make it. While we are "paper champions " you simply cannot win with our offensive line. They are not good enough to put a run together and the pass rush is hit or miss. Plus coaching is an issue becuase we do not adjust. Our drafting has caught up to us too.

If we were competitive against Atlanta I might have some optimism, but we were soundly beaten and exposed. Atlanta and Dallas are without question early favorites with GB in the mix. We are a distant 4 seed which was obvious this past weekend.

Fix the Oline and we have a shot. Getting better coordinators would also be helpful.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1gkb3zp3 said:
I expect to be in the playoffs again next season, with a shot at going all the way. You lower yours all you want. Mine remain high.

:D

Thanks for thart post! I refuse to lower my expectations for the Seahawks

I'm a lifer fan and have difficulty understanding all the pessimism spouted around here lately.

The Seahawks only got to the divisional round of the playoffs this season, Boo Hoo!

I'd imagine the fans of the 24 teams that didn't get that far would like to have that problem.

There are a lot of reasons why I totally disagree with the OP for this thread. It's a free country and you can lower your expectations as you wish, but many of the reasons why the OP is wrong are stated here. I'm quite sure that neither the management of the team nor the players agree with OP and I sure don't either.

This FO regime has marked the longest ever period of continuing success for the team, we all should be happy with how things are going in a macro sense. Sure there are obvious areas that can be improved and we all have a right to be as critical as we want but lowering our expectations isn't something I will ever agree to. That is defeatist nonsense.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1txfwq8z said:
Uncle Si":1txfwq8z said:
Who is "we?"

Do posts like that make people feel better about themselves? You want to dial back expectations then feel free. Seems condescending to assume "we" all should though...

My expectations haven't changed for this team since 2004. Win the Division, make the playoffs, see what happens. Anyone expecting Super Bowls need not look any further than this years Panthers and Broncos or last year's Patriots and Seahawks.

Sensible approach, but I think most people here, myself included saw our roster healthy and loaded in the spring and during training camp and had higher expectations and aspirations than just making the playoffs again.

So I agree with the OP, I won't have those same expectations next year. Too many holes and internal issues going on right now to expect anything more than competing for an NFC west title, but that's as far as I'll go.

Wouldn't it make sense to wait until next August to see what the draft brings, what signing they make of undrafted and free agents before we set our expectations? Expectation that really have little affect on the world in general. I'm jst trying to keep it all in perspective.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":2k2jp70d said:
Sgt. Largent":2k2jp70d said:
Uncle Si":2k2jp70d said:
Who is "we?"

Do posts like that make people feel better about themselves? You want to dial back expectations then feel free. Seems condescending to assume "we" all should though...

My expectations haven't changed for this team since 2004. Win the Division, make the playoffs, see what happens. Anyone expecting Super Bowls need not look any further than this years Panthers and Broncos or last year's Patriots and Seahawks.

Sensible approach, but I think most people here, myself included saw our roster healthy and loaded in the spring and during training camp and had higher expectations and aspirations than just making the playoffs again.

So I agree with the OP, I won't have those same expectations next year. Too many holes and internal issues going on right now to expect anything more than competing for an NFC west title, but that's as far as I'll go.

Wouldn't it make sense to wait until next August to see what the draft brings, what signing they make of undrafted and free agents before we set our expectations? Expectation that really have little affect on the world in general. I'm jst trying to keep it all in perspective.

Of course, but this thread wasn't created next August, it was created yesterday.

I don't have a crystal ball of what my expectations will be at some future time taking into account team transactions that may or may not happen. Right now, this is my expectation. If we have an amazing draft and FA class, then I shall amend said expectations accordingly.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1wama70g said:
kidhawk":1wama70g said:
sutz":1wama70g said:
I expect to be in the playoffs again next season, with a shot at going all the way. You lower yours all you want. Mine remain high.

:D

Here Here :irishdrinkers:

Here! Here! Here! :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

(Sorry, just felt like piling on the positivity pile. ;) )

Don't you dare apologize. We understand what it's like to be perennial "also-rans". There were times where it was really hard to get up for games, but I for one, am going to enjoy as much of this run with Carroll and Schneider as I can. Despite losing last week, this is a good time to be a Seahawks fan and I refuse to apologize for enjoying it to the fullest extent possible.

Largent80

Reaction score
I mowed a lot of lawns on Seahawk Sundays over the years, but not anymore.

People clamoring for all the changes need to go find another team. Yeah....YOU.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2y7hyhuw said:
Go to the Packers forums during week 8/9 of this NFL season and read the Packers fans comments on their board, and then go see them today. If you ever want a visual of schizophrenia, there it is.

Yup....I like their chatbox and get a feel of what they believe there a lot.

Also I do chat here with our team and see pretty much the same thing. Just a different team and players and fans. LOL

sondevil89

Reaction score
Not yet.

The so-called "controversies" at the end of the season give me optimism rather than regret. When the team gives up, then I will too, but this team still has lots of fire left.

The team obviously needs to make some adjustments on both sides, that much is obvious, and how they go about that will be telling for the future of the franchise.

We shall see.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well my expectations start after training camp opens, not knowing how this roster will look and what changes can happen. The year Warner got hurt my expectations were high, he got hurt and they fell low, everything after was a surprise in a good way. Well except signing Franco Harris.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3bb1olz0 said:
That SB loss, was probably as good as we will be for a while.

Given what this team is doing and how the coaching staff is producing - it just does not make sense to count this team as a contender.

Admittedly, I didn't see them making the playoffs - mainly because the lack of pass rush (which ended up hurting us all year anyway) and the lack of OL.

At some point, you don't have the horses.

A lot of teams want to go to the SB, but it is ridiculous to think every team has a shot at it. And given what we know about the team, the holes, the weaknesses and proclivities of some members of the coaching staff - it probably was not reasonable to expect it either.

I think a lot of us bought into the "Wilson Magic" but some of that was created by defenses keying in on a once in a decade runningback, that allowed our QB a lot less people focusing on him. Wilson is still spectacular, but without the other threats and without an OL (or a coach that adjusts the playcalling to account for the weaknesses of the opposing defense)...asking Wilson to heroball us to the SB is kind of ridiculous.

Think back to the Packers teams where Rodgers kept them a threat but watching them you knew they really were not a serious threat to make the SB. Having a great QB is really important but it isn't enough, and to be fair - Wilson was pretty injured this year which might account for his below par performance even when supposedly healthy.

This is a team that needs to fill a lot of holes. And there are teams all over the NFL that have to fill holes. The idea we can just easily fill the gaps, as other teams don't is probably unreasonable.

We looked like a wildcard team all year and ended up looking like one in the playoffs. Because we are one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah the onslaught of injuries didn't have anything to do with our struggles. We just stunk guys.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The Atlanta game proved we need better interior pass rush pressure. They brought the heat from the edges but it was a hair short. That was a lot of points to give up, and with most of the passes in the 6 to 12 yd range it was not all on ET's absence.

I expect the Seahawks can win the division again given the competition, and if healthier at key positions this time be a scary-good threat in the playoffs.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
I look forward to what happens in the offseason, and will see what "my" expectations will be then. There are indeed some issues on this team that need to be addressed, but I refuse to lower my expectations, or be told that I should.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Lynch success was also because Ds keyed on Wilson too. It was very symbiotic. This year two injuries made the RO moot which was a lot of the O.

Bevell and Cable couldn't coach their team out of a wet paper bag was a big issue too. Unable to adapt.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Things holding us back (not in order):

1-lack of inside pass rush.
2-lack of coaches to gameplan for best use of our talent available
3-Offensive line lack of experience
4-lack of OL coaching to simplify for the lack of experience
5-very thin at cornerback especially
6-lack of depth overall, can't deal with injuries that all NFL teams have
7-not getting separation, partially due to overly simple route trees as standard
8-our defense allowing way too many short passes in the middle of the field, allowing marches up the field
9-still young, but veterans getting older
10-lack of cap space to get help where needed due to big contracts.
11-Not drafting very well. Talent evaluation seems to have dropped off in the last 4 years.

Some of these are inevitable, and are difficult to fix like 3 (due to cap space), 8 (as we have a bend don't break philosophy, putting the focus on stopping explosive plays over the top), 9&10 as you have to pay guys to keep the core intact if draft picks take a long time to develop.

Things that are still in our favor:

1-Pete, John and Paul, as far as we know, are still working as a team and not infighting creating more issues (ahem..9ers)
2-John's mastery of cap management have allowed us to still function pretty well whille having so many highly paid players
3-A ton of high level talent at the key positions, probowlers all over the place
4-An overall good philosophy to create a strong team atmosphere
5-because of 4, players want to play here
6-great quarterback
7-Even with obvious shortcomings, still are able to grind it out to make the playoffs for 5 years, winning attitude
8-great fans that make home games a big advantage to the team
9-Defense still at a top 5 level
10-When hot, the offense can be amazing. Lot's of playmakers keep us in almost any game.

Lot's of pro's and cons, so both sides of the argument have valid points. I think the biggest argument for concern is that we have been regressing since our superbowl win. The arrow is pointing in the wrong direction.

The biggest argument for no concern is even when it looks like trash, we still make the playoffs and have a chance.

My biggest concern is that we don't seem to be addressing our weakest points. The OL was atrocious last year, and was again this year. Statistically a coin flip. That and I think Pete needs to look at the coaching like he does the players. If next year continues to get worse than this year, everything should be on the table, even the replacement of some of his coaching staff to correct it.

I can understand the OP's frustration. We all watched this season. We all had very high hopes when Pete stated this was the most talented roster this team has had. If you don't change anything, you can't expect anything to change. As far as injuries, there were several games where we were very healthy compared to the rest of the league and still crapped the bed, so that excuse is on thin ice. If the team is honest about the problems it has, identifies them specifically and works to rectify them, then I am incredibly optomistic. If I see them recruiting foosball and hockey players to fill out our OL, then not so much. Time will tell, atleast we didn't throw an interception to lose the superbowl this year, that was friggin brutal....

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Need a few changes/pickups.

RW needs a more confident 2017 with improved pocket performance.

Then we need to stay healthy(er)

If that happens, we'll contend.

There is a ton of talent on this team, but this season felt off from the get go. Lots of talent - lots of egos.

Egos didn't quite mesh in 2016.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":gy4algc4 said:
We were three Hauschka misses and a Kearse foot away from being the #1 seed. I don't see the need for pessimism.

Just ask Dallas what it feels like to be "this close"....