Jared Goff

RedAlice

Reaction score
chris98251":1w4ce9vq said:
So I'm not pissed at all. In fact, in some ways things are completely out of Fisher's control...I fully believe we could or would win the NFC East or AFC South, and be far more competitive in the NFC South and AFC East. We happen to have to be going up against two top 5 teams in our division - no other team except the Niners can say that.

I find this funny, we spent the first part of our history in the brutal AFC West when San Diego, Kansas City, Oakland and Denver were all considered playoff teams and we competed with them. When it was announced that they were re aligning us back to the NFC West which we were in our first year 49ers and Rams fans were saying that it was great, they needed two more wins a year to help their seating in the playoffs and not have to go to Green Bay.

How times have changed.......................

yeah, the NFC Least is long over.

Though, wasn't really that long ago that Hawks and Rams played a game to see which one would go to the playoffs with a losing record.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Hawkpower":23gqchh6 said:
Ramfan128":23gqchh6 said:
Ambrose83":23gqchh6 said:
How can you not be pissed as a fan? Your coach sucks , he can't develop talent to save his ass and you don't give up what you guys did for a guy not capable of starting... You bet the farm on s project qb.. that's ridiculous.

While I'm no huge Fisher fan, I don't believe that he "sucks". I wouldn't be upset if he didn't return after this year, but I'd also understand if we extended him. It's getting to the point where I will mock him every now and then, but we could do worse at the HC position.

We didn't "bet the farm" at all. We gave up some picks this year and really what amounts to our first round pick next year - that's all. And we'll still have at least 7 picks next year depending on how the compensatory picks shake out. As for him not starting - I'm happy. He looked lost in the preseason. But go look up other number 1 overall picks and their preseason stats - they are right in line with Goffs for the most part. The difference is, the teams that previously drafted number 1 overall were bad enough that they didn't care who they put in at QB. We have a lot more talent than the average team picking number 1 overall, and Keenum is capable of leading this team to a winning record if the defense plays like they should - so why start Goff?

So I'm not pissed at all. In fact, in some ways things are completely out of Fisher's control...I fully believe we could or would win the NFC East or AFC South, and be far more competitive in the NFC South and AFC East. We happen to have to be going up against two top 5 teams in our division - no other team except the Niners can say that.

I don't know how you could describe Fisher in any other way.

The guy does less with more EVERY. YEAR. How you guys continue to be so mediocre is mind blowing with all your talent.

Add on top of the fact that he is a raging douche, and your indifference towards him is baffling.

If I was a Rams fan, I would have been out with torches and pitchforks years ago.

All our talent? Look, I think we're talented, and I'm not saying that you don't - but it does get confusing sometimes. If people want to rag on the Rams, we're not talented. If people want to rag on Fisher, we are talented.

Firstly, I don't think Fisher is a "raging douche" - but I can't stand Arians/Carrol/Harbaugh - we're naturally inclined to dislike coaches of rival teams.

Secondly, until Goff, Fisher really can't be faulted for our QB situation. Bradford wasn't going to be good under anyone with the Rams; drafting RG3 would have been a bust; Bridgewater and Carr didn't make sense at our picks (and with that pick we got Donald). I think it's conspicuous that he has almost never had a good QB, but taking off the blinders - I'm not sure any coach could have done much better with the QBs he's had to work with. And obviously the book is yet to be written on Goff.

If we don't at least reach 8-8, I'll be demanding his head. Until then, I'll wait and see. With this offseason I was hoping for staff turnover, but deep down I knew it wouldn't happen.

There are positives here too, as sad as it is to say - he's a lot better than Spags and Linehan were.

QB is the reason we've been mediocre/bad. Give us a top 10 QB and this is a playoff team year in and year out. But we're nowhere close to that right now.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
chris98251":3tlfjehh said:

I find this funny, we spent the first part of our history in the brutal AFC West when San Diego, Kansas City, Oakland and Denver were all considered playoff teams and we competed with them. When it was announced that they were re aligning us back to the NFC West which we were in our first year 49ers and Rams fans were saying that it was great, they needed two more wins a year to help their seating in the playoffs and not have to go to Green Bay.

How times have changed.......................

And they'll change again. Always do.

I never thought of the Seahawks as two easy wins. What the Rams and Niners are dealing with now is almost unprecedented though...I can't remember the last time you could legitimately argue that the two best teams in the NFL were in the same division. I guess maybe the Niners and Seahawks from 2012, but that's still the NFC West.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bengals, Steelers and Browns, Cowboys and Redskins, Packers and Bears, Different eras but there has been times.

RedAlice

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":s2qrowj1 said:
Jared Goof is too simple to succeed, he will never win a super bowl.

Yep. You can tell all this by pre-season and some HBO film guys. Brilliant.

and Wilson is too short to succeed.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Ramfan128":yu6mpqav said:
Hawkpower":yu6mpqav said:
Ramfan128":yu6mpqav said:
Ambrose83":yu6mpqav said:
How can you not be pissed as a fan? Your coach sucks , he can't develop talent to save his ass and you don't give up what you guys did for a guy not capable of starting... You bet the farm on s project qb.. that's ridiculous.

While I'm no huge Fisher fan, I don't believe that he "sucks". I wouldn't be upset if he didn't return after this year, but I'd also understand if we extended him. It's getting to the point where I will mock him every now and then, but we could do worse at the HC position.

We didn't "bet the farm" at all. We gave up some picks this year and really what amounts to our first round pick next year - that's all. And we'll still have at least 7 picks next year depending on how the compensatory picks shake out. As for him not starting - I'm happy. He looked lost in the preseason. But go look up other number 1 overall picks and their preseason stats - they are right in line with Goffs for the most part. The difference is, the teams that previously drafted number 1 overall were bad enough that they didn't care who they put in at QB. We have a lot more talent than the average team picking number 1 overall, and Keenum is capable of leading this team to a winning record if the defense plays like they should - so why start Goff?

I don't know how you could describe Fisher in any other way.

The guy does less with more EVERY. YEAR. How you guys continue to be so mediocre is mind blowing with all your talent.

Add on top of the fact that he is a raging douche, and your indifference towards him is baffling.

If I was a Rams fan, I would have been out with torches and pitchforks years ago.

All our talent? Look, I think we're talented, and I'm not saying that you don't - but it does get confusing sometimes. If people want to rag on the Rams, we're not talented. If people want to rag on Fisher, we are talented.

Firstly, I don't think Fisher is a "raging douche" - but I can't stand Arians/Carrol/Harbaugh - we're naturally inclined to dislike coaches of rival teams.

Secondly, until Goff, Fisher really can't be faulted for our QB situation. Bradford wasn't going to be good under anyone with the Rams; drafting RG3 would have been a bust; Bridgewater and Carr didn't make sense at our picks (and with that pick we got Donald). I think it's conspicuous that he has almost never had a good QB, but taking off the blinders - I'm not sure any coach could have done much better with the QBs he's had to work with. And obviously the book is yet to be written on Goff.

If we don't at least reach 8-8, I'll be demanding his head. Until then, I'll wait and see. With this offseason I was hoping for staff turnover, but deep down I knew it wouldn't happen.

There are positives here too, as sad as it is to say - he's a lot better than Spags and Linehan were.

QB is the reason we've been mediocre/bad. Give us a top 10 QB and this is a playoff team year in and year out. But we're nowhere close to that right now.

I get what you are saying about rival coaches ( I hate Arians too) but Fisher is universally hated across the league, not just in the NFC West. Google "Fisher" and "Dirty" and watch the hits come rolling in. He has a really bad reputation for a reason.

As for talent, I am pretty sure you have more first round picks on your D line than Seattle has on its whole roster. The Rams are as well known for underachieving as they are for being dirty. I'm shocked that you seem to be in denial about these well known truths.

Rob12

Reaction score
RedAlice":2v0pid9x said:
This is also why I love this board.

The thread can turn into anything.

Back to Goff. Everyone is so mad, including Rams fans. Fire Fisher. Stupid trade. Fire Snead. Goff sucks

I say, calm down. Settle down.

I've watched the film, I've watched the pre-season, I've seen him be a total dork. I'm a dork too.

Goff will be a good QB for the Rams. I feel the absolute opposite of 2010 w B.

It's just that... No. 1 overall picks aren't usually inactive for Week 1 in their rookie years. Especially for a quarterback starved team. And especially when so much draft capital was given up for them. I'd venture a guess and say that's unprecedented. So of course fans are going to be pissed off.

This is a very hard one to sugarcoat. You're doing an admirable job, but I'm not buying what you're trying to sell here.

Goff will be the mistake that the Rams will pay years for. Sorry Alice, but that's likely the truth.

Rob12

Reaction score
Ramfan128":329p4j2s said:
Ambrose83":329p4j2s said:

No one is really talking about him not starting. It's just that he is inactive and your punter is the emergency QB. And Keenum and Mannion are your No. 1 and 2.

It's not like he's an injury away from getting a shot. He's literally not even dressing for the game.

A No. 1 overall pick.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rob12":11oc6m71 said:
RedAlice":11oc6m71 said:
This is also why I love this board.

The thread can turn into anything.

Back to Goff. Everyone is so mad, including Rams fans. Fire Fisher. Stupid trade. Fire Snead. Goff sucks

I say, calm down. Settle down.

I've watched the film, I've watched the pre-season, I've seen him be a total dork. I'm a dork too.

Goff will be a good QB for the Rams. I feel the absolute opposite of 2010 w B.

It's just that... No. 1 overall picks aren't usually inactive for Week 1 in their rookie years. Especially for a quarterback starved team. And especially when so much draft capital was given up for them. I'd venture a guess and say that's unprecedented. So of course fans are going to be pissed off.

This is a very hard one to sugarcoat. You're doing an admirable job, but I'm not buying what you're trying to sell here.

Goff will be the mistake that the Rams will pay years for. Sorry Alice, but that's likely the truth.

Except that, I'm not sugar coating anything. Just saying what I feel, same as others do.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rob12":1xcs2s51 said:
Ramfan128":1xcs2s51 said:
Ambrose83":1xcs2s51 said:

No one is really talking about him not starting. It's just that he is inactive and your punter is the emergency QB. And Keenum and Mannion are your No. 1 and 2.

It's not like he's an injury away from getting a shot. He's literally not even dressing for the game.

A No. 1 overall pick.

I hope he sits all year. #1 pick does not automatically mean he has to start.

I'm actually more concerned that Fisher puts him in too early.

And, hey: Hekker is a great QB! You should know that.

Rob12

Reaction score
RedAlice":1578mi2s said:
Rob12":1578mi2s said:
Ramfan128":1578mi2s said:
Ambrose83":1578mi2s said:

A No. 1 overall pick.

And, hey: Hekker is a great QB! You should know that.

I see simple reading comprehension is a struggle.

No one is talking about him not starting. Dude isn't even allowed to dress for games.

For the last time, it's not about him starting. He's so far behind that your punter is a better option at QB.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I do feel a bit of empathy for Rams fans.

LA is in NFL purgatory roster wise. Exactly like Seattle was in the 80s and 90s. Too good to suck enough to get a bona fide QB. But perennially not good enough at the QB position to get out of 7-9/8-8 outcomes. And not gifted at developing raw but physically gifted QBs on the depth chart. It's a really bad place to be.

I don't blame them for going aggressively for Goff. They are desperate. And it's very rare for the teams at the top of the draft to be not needing a QB. So the opportunities maybe only come along 2 out of every 10 seasons. I didn't think Goff was better than a 8th to 15th overall talent in a normal year. But for LA, they had to strike when the opportunity presented. Otherwise they could go another 5 years before a team at the top of the draft didn't also have QB need. At which time their defense would likely be greatly diminished through attrition and already on their second contracts.

Make no mistake, it's not good that Goff isn't good enough day one to be on the active roster. It's not totally damning either. It's made especially worse since he's not a athletically gifted QB who is just raw and not ready. He's a physically compromised prospect who also isn't ready. If you aren't going to be a fireball throwing QB Adonis you need to compensate with your mind and poise.

Goff seems to be missing either of those elements. As I stated, it's not totally damning that he's inactive. But the reasons why he's inactive really paint a gloomy long term outlook for his success. He's not Favre or Rodgers who sat their first years because they needed to get better mentally. They had the athletic tools that you could see that if they put it all together -- they could be great. Goff, if he gets better mentally has a vastly diminished athletic toolset to succeed.

Even Tannehill, who likewise was not ready mentally to start -- did so on the basis of his physical ability. I don't see any reason to suspect that Goff has anywhere close to Tannehill's potential as a QB.

We shall certainly see in the coming years whether he will be average enough to get LA to the double digit win outcomes necessary to compete. And that roster is talented enough today to achieve that with the likes of a Ryan Fitzpatrick type of QB at the helm. But looking at the variables as they stand now -- I would definitely not be optimistic that will likely happen.

If I'm a Rams fan, I'm hoping that next year ushers in a new coaching regime whose talent is to groom QB potential. And to hope that they don't ignore day 2/3 QB prospects in the future to hedge Goff's development. Their roster is primed to compete virtually everywhere else and should be for the next 5 years. They need to get this sorted out completely by this time in 2018. Otherwise they may as well already be in a full on rebuild by 2019.

mrt144

Reaction score
Rob12":mnf2x140 said:

No one is talking about him not starting. Dude isn't even allowed to dress for games.

For the last time, it's not about him starting. He's so far behind that your punter is a better option at QB.

How could we make this albatross even larger?

So not only did they trade primo picks to take him
Not only is he not starting
Not only is he 3rd string
His potential won't even be realized until the 3rd of 4th year of his contract, the exact time that extensions would become a factor. So then the question is, based on the 1-2 years he has potentially been a starter, do the Rams have enough info to extend him or do we go fish on a new QB in the draft?

It just keeps getting worse and worse for the Rams unless he actually is Aaron Rodgers 2.0. There is no supporting structures within the Rams org that hints they know what to do with a QB if they have one though. It's grim and I'm not usually this grim but I think this will be one of those picks that was so obviously bad in hindsight given the player and the team's festering mediocrity.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The Goff trade was a desperate move by a franchise trying too hard to get over the top and get away from perennial 7-9.

It's what they get for sticking by Bradford for too long and failing to adequately bring in a young guy to really push him (and subsequently start when he got injured again).

In 2014 they were still clinging to Bradford. Minnesota went from #40 to #32 for the price of a fourth round pick to get Teddy Bridgewater. The Rams had the #41 pick (having already drafted Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald in R1).

They could've traded up for Bridgewater or Derek Carr (who was drafted at #36) and it wouldn't have cost a kings ransom like Goff.

Then there was the absolute calamity of 2015. Having finally decided to dump Bradford they bring in Nick Foles and then quickly decide he's no good -- while also spending a third rounder on Sean Mannion. Just a few months later they were trading the family jewels to replace both with Goff.

It's like a 'how not to' guide to running a franchise.

And now they're stuck with this guy -- and are invested in him working out. They can't just bin him off like Bradford, Foles and Mannion. Replace him with another first rounder. They have to make it work. Nothing about the last few years suggests this staff is capable of doing that with a QB -- and there's very little so to suggest Goff is a rare talent capable of shining despite a crappy support staff or coaching.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Watching Jared Goff in Hard Knocks made me think Draft Day the movie had become real life. Honestly he reminded me of the unliked, heart of a pea QB in the movie except Goff actually went first pick.

Did you see him talk about abandoning his offensive team mate and his Cam Newton-esque fumble recovery attempt? He seemed so entitled as well, it was weird as you could see Hard Knocks were trying to talk him up but didnt have much to work with.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
No offense, Alice, but since the 49ers are currently irrelevant and I can't bring myself to care about the Cardinals very much even when they're good outside of a mild dislike for Bruce Arians (a man who is brilliant at football and dumb as a post at everything else), the Rams are all that is left for me to fixate my hatred on within the division.

The Rams and their dumb quarterback and eternally 7-9 head coach and their cheapshotting D and their punter with a 158.3 QB rating. THE WORST.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":imrs2q4v said:
No offense, Alice, but since the 49ers are currently irrelevant and I can't bring myself to care about the Cardinals very much even when they're good outside of a mild dislike for Bruce Arians (a man who is brilliant at football and dumb as a post at everything else), the Rams are all that is left for me to fixate my hatred on within the division.

The Rams and their dumb quarterback and eternally 7-9 head coach and their cheapshotting D and their punter with a 158.3 QB rating. THE WORST.

Smelly, you are a Hawk fan. You are welcome and expected to hate on the Rams. No offense taken.

I like many Hawk fans, still not a Hawk fan. :)

RedAlice

Reaction score
Rob12":1f6w6ywi said:
RedAlice"[quote="Ramfan128":1f6w6ywi said:
Ambrose83":1f6w6ywi said:

A No. 1 overall pick.

And, hey: Hekker is a great QB! You should know that.[/quote]

For the last time, it's not about him starting. He's so far behind that your punter is a better option at QB.[/quote]

----

I clearly see that simple reading comprehension is a struggle. Yours.

You also have no sense of humor.

I guess to clarify: I hope he doesn't dress all year if that is what is needed. My point is the same - #1 pick does not mean has to be playing now. Seems a pretty simple point that I made, and that I believe.

Latest posts