Jermaine Kearse won't give hometown discount to Seahawks

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Tate - Claimed he would give a discount and that he wants to stay. Left in FA for more money.

Bennett - Said he ain't Costco, no discounts for the Seahawks. He took less to stay.

Irvin - has talked about leaving previously with a desire to go to ATL, now is saying he will take a discount.

Kearse - Claims he won't take a discount. Kearse is a home town guy that if you had asked me would be the first person on this tan to take a discount.

To me it is all posturing to increase their value on the open market. Kearse wants Seattle to give him the most he can get because he wants to stay. Bruce wants other teams to offer over market to lure him away.

My guess is we keep Kearse and lose Irvin.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Did they ask him to take a discount or did he just Volenteer this info?

themunn

Reaction score
Why are we talking about Kearse's average production over 4 years when he has only got better every year with us?

2012 - started on practice squad, hardly played any snaps other than special teams
2013 - started 5 games, caught 22 balls and 4 tds for 346 yards
2014 - started 14 games, caught 38 balls, 1 td and 537 yards
2015 - started 16 games, caught 49 balls, 5 tds and 685 yards.

If we start throwing the ball more next year as people expect what's to stop him getting 70 catchs for 800-900 yards and 7/8 tds?

If we sign him for around 4 years 15m that'd sneak him into the top 50 highest paid WRs, but production like the above (which I fully expect he could manage) would be closer to a top 30 WR.
We've just seen ADB take a huge leap in development in his 5th year as a key contributor to the team, this would really only be Kearse's 4th year given his first year mostly on the scout team, fully expect he is capable of outperforming a contract like the above if we offer it.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Baldwin got 3 years and $13M two years ago, average salary $4.3M/year. He's signed through this coming season at a salary of $4.0M, and will likely be extended this year at somewhere near $7M/year (my best guess).

Lockett is on his rookie contract through 2018. He's scheduled to make just $0.8M this season.

Richardson, coming back from a hamstring injury, is on his rookie contract through 2017. He's scheduled to make just $1.3M this season.

The question is... do the Hawks re-sign Kearse at somewhere near $3.5M/year, thereby jumping both Lockett and Richardson, whom most here feel have more talent than Jermaine? Does that create an issue for Lockett? Or for Richardson?

Another factor to consider is does re-signing Kearse effectively lock out either Williams or Smith? Or do Pete and John see that either of the two is ready to contribute at a Kearse-like level in 2016?

After running through all this, I expect that Jermaine will be lured away at a price that the team would prefer not to pay him... the main factor being the talent that is right behind him at a significantly lesser cost.

One last factor to consider is if Kearse signs elsewhere in the $4.0M/year vicinity, the Hawks will likely get a 5th round compensatory pick in 2017.

penihawk

Reaction score
Kearse has a huge value to this team but I'm not really sure what he finds on the open market. For me a Baldwin type contract is in the ball park for his services. The notion that we have immense talent behind him is a laugher and the one guy with a tiny flash and production is injury prone and 175 lbs. Thats a bad combination to count on as your 3rd in our new spread scheme in 2016. A Kearse departure puts WR to the top of the needs list in FA and the draft imo.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The more I think about it. He's gone. 4 million a year for potentially your 5th option in the passing game? I just don't see it. He's gone.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane, Irvin, DT, DE, OL all seem more important to sign ahead of Kearse.

Draft a WR early to replace him as the #4 WR.

penihawk

Reaction score
There sure are alot of rose colored glasses being worn when it comes to Richardson. I don't ever see this guy as anything but a often hurt situational #4. For me he makes the roster as the #5 and proves his way to #3 with production and staying healthy for 16. Kearse has missed 2 games in 3 years. Betting on the come is a good way to find your way to the losers lounge. :)

byau

Reaction score
I love Kearse. Don't get where the hate comes from when I see those types of posts.

That said, business wise I also don't think he's staying. Even though I see him doing his best in the Seahawks system, I am pretty sure another team is going to pay him more than the Seahawks can. Especially with a HUGE logjam at receiver. And not a logjam at other locations which means more pressing needs elsewhere.

I hope Kearse gets a really nice contract elsewhere. Yup, sadly for me, Kearse is likely not a Seahawk next year.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Wenhawk":11nhsnex said:
Tate - Claimed he would give a discount and that he wants to stay. Left in FA for more money.

Bennett - Said he ain't Costco, no discounts for the Seahawks. He took less to stay.

Irvin - has talked about leaving previously with a desire to go to ATL, now is saying he will take a discount.

Kearse - Claims he won't take a discount. Kearse is a home town guy that if you had asked me would be the first person on this tan to take a discount.

To me it is all posturing to increase their value on the open market. Kearse wants Seattle to give him the most he can get because he wants to stay. Bruce wants other teams to offer over market to lure him away.

My guess is we keep Kearse and lose Irvin.

I hope for the opposite to happen. Irvin should be ready to take over the Leo and Kearse's production can easily be replaced.

2_0_6

Reaction score
IF Megatron retires, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kearse land in Detroit with Golden. Granted they will still need another WR, but will have some extra cap flexibility from his contract ($15.9mil) to do so.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Nor should he. He's a fringe NFL WR and has one shot to hit the bank for his family. I appreciate chop chop, but he's going to get paid much more than he should.

rideaducati

Reaction score
lukerguy":2uinpz09 said:
Nor should he. He's a fringe NFL WR and has one shot to hit the bank for his family. I appreciate chop chop, but he's going to get paid much more than he should.

I think he's been overpaid for several years already.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
rideaducati":3hkzh2mo said:
lukerguy":3hkzh2mo said:

You guys are rich..only the Seahawks best postseason WR ever but hes overpaid :roll:

Dude has made under 4 million in his 4 years here.

Im not even a huge fan of Kearse but you cant argue how huge he has come up in the playoffs

rideaducati

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3rm6sg8z said:
rideaducati":3rm6sg8z said:
lukerguy":3rm6sg8z said:

You guys are rich..only the Seahawks best postseason WR ever but hes overpaid :roll:

Im not even a huge fan of Kearse but you cant argue how huge he has come up in the playoffs

It isn't that I don't like Kearse, i just look at it like if Kearse had played better throughout ENTIRE games, he wouldn't have needed the big plays late in games. Those big plays were nice, but the early drops and tips for picks that happened way too often can easily improved upon by someone younger and cheaper. I would rather see consistency than the worst of the worst followed by a big play or two.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":13my0iwr said:
rideaducati":13my0iwr said:
lukerguy":13my0iwr said:

Post season: 28 catches, 471 yards, 6 TDs in 8 games.

Regular season: 112, 1600, 10Tds in 41 games

Which Kearse should we pay for? I like Kearse on the team, but wish his regular season output would come closer to his postseason.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
In the playoffs, he is our most valuable receiver.

Even over Baldwin, when we needed a key catch - he delivered. He might have delivered more clutch catches in the playoffs than any other receiver in Seahawk history. He certainly delivered the biggest ones.

I think this is like when we let Golden go, we are going to miss him in the playoffs, but most of the fans don't realize it.

I don't think we can pay him, but losing him makes the Seahawks weaker. We still have PRich but I don't think that matters much since PRich will probably twist an ankle putting on socks later.

Basis4day

Reaction score
rideaducati":3bkouqrg said:
lukerguy":3bkouqrg said:

You can say what you want about his 2+ Million tender in 2015. But the three years before that you can't really pay him less than what he was making. To say he's been overpaid for "several years" are you saying he shouldn't be on an NFL team?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is a weird thing with Kearse.

People just don't like him. I don't know if that RRR rap turned everyone against him or what but people just seem convinced they should get better production from him when he is an undrafted FA, a #3, and has consistently delivered.

I think people get upset because they feel like he gets too many targets vs guys we want the ball thrown to. But Kearse is one of our best guys at going up for the ball contested, so Wilson trusts him more.

I don't see how getting rid of one of Wilson's bailout guys makes us better but.....some people really thing that getting rid of our #3 receiver who is also our most productive guy in the playoffs is going to be the key to getting us over the hump.

I hope they are right but I would be really happy to find a way to keep Kearse.*

(* We seem to either really undervalue our guys, or we have a need to take the position so that if we lose someone we are not as upset, like in the Golden Tate instance. There is no way that losing guys like Kearse or Irvin makes us better though. We can only hope that the team improves in other areas.)