Jermaine Kearse won't give hometown discount to Seahawks

Basis4day

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":usg0opca said:
It is a weird thing with Kearse.

People just don't like him. I don't know if that RRR rap turned everyone against him or what but people just seem convinced they should get better production from him when he is an undrafted FA, a #3, and has consistently delivered.

I think people get upset because they feel like he gets too many targets vs guys we want the ball thrown to. But Kearse is one of our best guys at going up for the ball contested, so Wilson trusts him more.

I don't see how getting rid of one of Wilson's bailout guys makes us better but.....some people really thing that getting rid of our #3 receiver who is also our most productive guy in the playoffs is going to be the key to getting us over the hump.

I hope they are right but I would be really happy to find a way to keep Kearse.*

(* We seem to either really undervalue our guys, or we have a need to take the position so that if we lose someone we are not as upset, like in the Golden Tate instance. There is no way that losing guys like Kearse or Irvin makes us better though. We can only hope that the team improves in other areas.)

The NFC championship game (everything before the game winning catch) against the packers is what soured fans to to Kearse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3v77hmc2 said:

People just don't like him. I don't know if that RRR rap turned everyone against him or what but people just seem convinced they should get better production from him when he is an undrafted FA, a #3, and has consistently delivered.

I think most of us like him just fine................as a #3 or #4 receiver. Which is what he should be paid as.

Yeah the dude's made some clutch catches, but 40-50 receptions and 3-5 TD's per year is nothing to break the bank for.

I hope he does come back, at a 2-3M a year salary as our 3rd or 4th option. But anything more than that? Nope, there's 20-30 Jermaine Kearses in the league IMO that we can get in here and do just fine.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Basis4day":264pjs4o said:
TwistedHusky":264pjs4o said:

I think people get upset because they feel like he gets too many targets vs guys we want the ball thrown to. But Kearse is one of our best guys at going up for the ball contested, so Wilson trusts him more.

I don't see how getting rid of one of Wilson's bailout guys makes us better but.....some people really thing that getting rid of our #3 receiver who is also our most productive guy in the playoffs is going to be the key to getting us over the hump.

I hope they are right but I would be really happy to find a way to keep Kearse.*

(* We seem to either really undervalue our guys, or we have a need to take the position so that if we lose someone we are not as upset, like in the Golden Tate instance. There is no way that losing guys like Kearse or Irvin makes us better though. We can only hope that the team improves in other areas.)

The NFC championship game (everything before the game winning catch) against the packers is what soured fans to to Kearse.

And its fair for fans to do so. The third down catch in the SB that would of likely sealed the game was a tough one too. He's a great system fit if you can keep him at 2 or under but anymore and I just don't see them doing it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":g49aris6 said:

A #3 receiver wouldn't be on the field when they have two receivers on the field...Kearse was on the field for most of those sets.

As far as Kearse being good at "contested" balls, I disagree. He is decent in "traffic", but I think he gives up too easily on contested balls.

Losing Kearse "could" make the Seahawks better if it means more Lockett.

Kearse is only the "most productive" guy in the playoffs because he has been around a while during a pretty good playoff run. Hass rarely had the same receivers for two years in a row, let alone four.

Kearse is this team's iteration of Ben Obomanu...good enough to stay on the roster for years and makes plays here and there, but you don't want him starting if you can help it. Some people love him, some people hate him, but mostly, we just want someone better.

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":1bsl02lw said:
TwistedHusky":1bsl02lw said:

People hated Jermaine long before that.

I think it is associated with his days at UW and the struggles he had with the drops.

I don't get it. Truth is, if you were to make a highlight reel of the 10 greatest catches in Seahawks history, Jermaine would have 5 of them.

And if we can get him for close to wait we paid Baldwin (3 years, $14 million), we'd be dumb not to.

peppersjap

Reaction score
byau":26esl4uq said:
I love Kearse. Don't get where the hate comes from when I see those types of posts.

That said, business wise I also don't think he's staying. Even though I see him doing his best in the Seahawks system, I am pretty sure another team is going to pay him more than the Seahawks can. Especially with a HUGE logjam at receiver. And not a logjam at other locations which means more pressing needs elsewhere.

I hope Kearse gets a really nice contract elsewhere. Yup, sadly for me, Kearse is likely not a Seahawk next year.
I don't think for most of us that it is Kearse hate. I have loved the guy since his UW days but he is very inconsistent. When he is great he is great and seems to stand up in the biggest games but also tends to disappear at times which he did quite a bit this year. We have so many spots to fill that I think he can be sacrificed if he is looking for 4 million plus. If he can get it from someone else then good for him, just don't see him as much more than a 2 million per year investment for us.

peppersjap

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1b6ef1ik said:
rideaducati":1b6ef1ik said:
lukerguy":1b6ef1ik said:
Nor should he. He's a fringe NFL WR and has one shot to hit the bank for his family. I appreciate chop chop, but he's going to get paid much more than he should.

I think he's been overpaid for several years already.

You guys are rich..only the Seahawks best postseason WR ever but hes overpaid :roll:

Dude has made under 4 million in his 4 years here.

Im not even a huge fan of Kearse but you cant argue how huge he has come up in the playoffs
He has been very good in the playoffs but his game winning catch vs Green Bay in the NFC championship last year seemed to have made people forget that he was the cause of most of Wilsons interceptions in the early part of that game. he deserves praise for his play but there is another side to this. You are right though, he has not been overpaid and he should hit the open market and try to make all the money he can. He is coming off what might have been the best game of his career so he really should try to make the best of it and he will get more money away from the Seahawks.

peppersjap

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":gybjqvq5 said:
In the playoffs, he is our most valuable receiver.

Even over Baldwin, when we needed a key catch - he delivered. He might have delivered more clutch catches in the playoffs than any other receiver in Seahawk history. He certainly delivered the biggest ones.

I think this is like when we let Golden go, we are going to miss him in the playoffs, but most of the fans don't realize it.

I don't think we can pay him, but losing him makes the Seahawks weaker. We still have PRich but I don't think that matters much since PRich will probably twist an ankle putting on socks later.
Tate was my favorite Seahawk but not sure how we really missed him in the playoffs that much, the Super Bowl vs Denver he had a pretty poor game and I don't remember anything else that stands out. I could be wrong though, I drink a lot!

Basis4day

Reaction score
peppersjap":2wbsj9r3 said:
TwistedHusky":2wbsj9r3 said:

Even over Baldwin, when we needed a key catch - he delivered. He might have delivered more clutch catches in the playoffs than any other receiver in Seahawk history. He certainly delivered the biggest ones.

I think this is like when we let Golden go, we are going to miss him in the playoffs, but most of the fans don't realize it.

I don't think we can pay him, but losing him makes the Seahawks weaker. We still have PRich but I don't think that matters much since PRich will probably twist an ankle putting on socks later.
Tate was my favorite Seahawk but not sure how we really missed him in the playoffs that much, the Super Bowl vs Denver he had a pretty poor game and I don't remember anything else that stands out. I could be wrong though, I drink a lot!

Tate drew a PI that lead to a Lynch TD. Harvin, Baldwin and Kearse all had great games.

I don't really understand how you can say he had a poor game when three other WR had great games in a blowout.
He didn't make any big plays, but that doesn't mean he played poorly.

Can anyone in SB-48 really be described as having a poor game?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1qd4suir said:

Only difference is Golden Tate sucked a big one in the playoffs...In 7 games he had 1TD and around 200 yards.... :thirishdrinkers:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2sygh5u5 said:
Sgt. Largent":2sygh5u5 said:
massari":2sygh5u5 said:
Assuming Kearse gets 3-4M average per year, I would've rather re-signed G.Tate for 6M per.

Seems to me (noob) that they'd be better off using this money on the OL instead of Kearse.

If we resigned Tate, we wouldn't have traded up to draft Lockett..........and Tate is set to make 7.3M, 8.3M and over 9M the next 3 years.

Kearse has "pedestrian" numbers, but that's not his value to this team. He has been clutch, especially in the playoffs. So there's some value there.

Having said that, I would not give him north of 3M a year.
If we resigned Tate we are probably back to back Champs.
The guy who disappeared in SB XLVIII? That Tate? Yeah, he would have played in Simon's place to stop all the Brady drives, right?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
peppersjap":1q7wd2nn said:
TwistedHusky":1q7wd2nn said:

EXACTLY! Tate disappeared in almost every playoff game he was in with the Hawks...not to mention XLVIII. Now, suddenly, some sort of goofy hindsight says he was the missing piece that brought about the SB loss?? LMAO!!

mrt144

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":21kp61nq said:
peppersjap":21kp61nq said:
TwistedHusky":21kp61nq said:

EXACTLY! Tate disappeared in almost every playoff game he was in with the Hawks...not to mention XLVIII. Now, suddenly, some sort of goofy hindsight says he was the missing piece that brought about the SB loss?? LMAO!!

I think the 'cost a SB' is more about the perception that Percy Harvin's arrival lead to Tate's departure and affected options with rostering in 2014 due to Percy's ongoing cap hit and departure midseason.