Jerry Rice on Harbaugh's 49ers future: "I think he's gone."

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3amcohet said:
pehawk":3amcohet said:
Word...I wanted the Seahawks to nab him, badly. People don't realize how good he is because of the QB's and teams he'd played with.
Yep...I hated it when the 49ers got him.

Proof in case anybody wants to call me out:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92804#p1339364
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92804#p1339382

I believe you. :)

I was stunned when they made that move. I couldn't believe the Bills would give him up for so little. With Boldin the guy was in his 30s, might have been released because of salary, looked like the best was behind him...

...but I don't know what the Bills were thinking on Stevie.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2mo54rvr said:
They're idiots. I just had to remind myself of the peanuts we paid to get Marshawn from them for to feel better about you guys getting Stevie, though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1eh6dqxe said:
Marvin49":1eh6dqxe said:
They're idiots. I just had to remind myself of the peanuts we paid to get Marshawn from them for to feel better about you guys getting Stevie, though.

...true.

byau

Reaction score
Marvin and 49ers fans here: just curious, do you think Harbaugh is really gone? I would trust fans to be very in tune with their local team than national journalists.

So what do you guys think?

Also, seems like your O problems mirror ours a bit with disjointed receiving and lack of rushing: is Gore injured or something? The last two games from what I recall were really rough (Denver and St Louis)

Harbaugh issue? Kaep issue? Gore issue? Other issue?

Would like to hear what you guys think.

Marvin49

Reaction score
byau":8itg1113 said:
Marvin and 49ers fans here: just curious, do you think Harbaugh is really gone? I would trust fans to be very in tune with their local team than national journalists.

Also, seems like your O problems mirror ours a bit with disjointed receiving and lack of rushing: is Gore injured or something? The last two games from what I recall were really rough (Denver and St Louis)

I apologize in advance as this might be long.

1) Harbaugh? Honestly. I don't have the first clue. The one thing I've learned about Harbaugh is that you really never know what he's going to do. When he was initially hired everyone thought there was no chance he'd be interested in SF. Then he was all but signed in SF. Then Miami flew out to see him and he was all set to be the coach in Miami. Then he wanted Michigan. Then he was set to go back to Stanford. Then he finally signed with SF.

....and this was all in 24 hours.

Personally I think he'll stay. I think that's because everyone seems to think he'll be gone...and he never does what people expect. :)

I think SOOOOO much of what's in the media is way, way overblown and over reported just as the rifts in the Seattle locker room are. Good teams make for big stories and small things get huge because of the profile of the team.

That said...there was smoke to spark that flame...so who knows. I hope he stays, but I really have no idea one way or the other.

2) Offense? Disjointed is the perfect word and I used it myself above. They can't decide what they want to be. They need to transition from Gore being the Bell Cow but don't seem to know exactly how to get there. Lots of teams are run blitzing and shutting down the run particularly on early downs so the Niners are throwing more and more because they aren't able to gash teams in the run when they do that anymore. Is that because people know the run schemes now? Is it because Gore is 31? Is it because the O-Line isn't playing as well as it has in the past? IMO, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

IMO they need to continue transitioning to a "pass more often" team with Kap, but run the ball more with Hyde. It's time.

Kap has played much better than the media and 49er fans let on. He was HORRIBLE vs the Bears (and the rook who picked him twice made 2 tremendous plays), but outside of that game he's got 11 TDs, 2 INTs, and a rating over 100. What's killing them on offense is pressure, untimely sacks and untimely penalties. They try to run on 1st down and get stuffed giving them long yardage situations. It seems most of the time when they score TDs it involves Kap scrambling away from pressure and doing something superhuman. Can't live on that.

3) Frank? All I hear out here is "give the ball to Frank". Dude, Frank is 31. It's starting to show. I love the guy...but he's 31. His average over the last three games is abysmal. He used to be able to beat 8 and 9 man fronts on a regular basis. He can't anymore. He still has the vision and the patience, but he's not breaking too many tackles. He is still a good player and in small doses can be very effective, but to me the days of feeding him the ball all day are over. Niners need to start feeding Carlos Hyde.

byau

Reaction score
Marvin49":1x18v9ia said:
byau":1x18v9ia said:

1) Harbaugh? Honestly. I don't have the first clue. The one thing I've learned about Harbaugh is that you really never know what he's going to do. When he was initially hired everyone thought there was no chance he'd be interested in SF. Then he was all but signed in SF. Then Miami flew out to see him and he was all set to be the coach in Miami. Then he wanted Michigan. Then he was set to go back to Stanford. Then he finally signed with SF.

Personally I think he'll stay. I think that's because everyone seems to think he'll be gone...and he never does what people expect. :)

I think SOOOOO much of what's in the media is way, way overblown and over reported just as the rifts in the Seattle locker room are. Good teams make for big stories and small things get huge because of the profile of the team.

That said...there was smoke to spark that flame...so who knows. I hope he stays, but I really have no idea one way or the other.

2) Offense? Disjointed is the perfect word and I used it myself above. They can't decide what they want to be. They need to transition from Gore being the Bell Cow but don't seem to know exactly how to get there. Lots of teams are run blitzing and shutting down the run particularly on early downs so the Niners are throwing more and more because they aren't able to gash teams in the run when they do that anymore. Is that because people know the run schemes now? Is it because Gore is 31? Is it because the O-Line isn't playing as well as it has in the past? IMO, Yes, Yes, and Yes.

IMO they need to continue transitioning to a "pass more often" team with Kap, but run the ball more with Hyde. It's time.

Kap has played much better than the media and 49er fans let on. He was HORRIBLE vs the Bears (and the rook who picked him twice made 2 tremendous plays), but outside of that game he's got 11 TDs, 2 INTs, and a rating over 100. What's killing them on offense is pressure, untimely sacks and untimely penalties. They try to run on 1st down and get stuffed giving them long yardage situations. It seems most of the time when they score TDs it involves Kap scrambling away from pressure and doing something superhuman. Can't live on that.

3) Frank? All I hear out here is "give the ball to Frank". Dude, Frank is 31. It's starting to show. I love the guy...but he's 31. His average over the last three games is abysmal. He used to be able to beat 8 and 9 man fronts on a regular basis. He can't anymore. He still has the vision and the patience, but he's not breaking too many tackles. He is still a good player and in small doses can be very effective, but to me the days of feeding him the ball all day are over. Niners need to start feeding Carlos Hyde.

Thanks Marvin. Btw, long posts are cool, as long as the content lives up to it. I enjoy hearing what you have to say

Re: Gore, I have to admit I had to look up the numbers.

St Louis: 14 rushes, 49 yards, 3.5 yards per carry, not great, not horrible
Denver: 9 rushes, 20 yards, 2.2 yards per carry, not great, closer to horrible.

I was a bit surprised, didn't think it was THAT low. I thought he might be 3.5 to 4.5 and just not getting enough carries.

Part of the reason I was asking was just wondering about not using Gore in that last play vs the Rams. Granted, Colin holding on to the ball would have scored, but he had two plays ahead of that as well within 1 to 2 yards. I would have thought three to four plays of Gore running up the middle would have gotten the score. I didn't think his rushing was THAT bad as above (2.2 ypc, 3.5 ypc). I thought it was more just not getting runs.

Oh, and Hyde

Denver: 3 rushes, 15 yards, 5 ypc
St Louis: 2 rushes, 17 yards, 8.5 ypc

So what you say looks on par with switching to Hyde.

Not recalling the games, did Hyde get his rushes with comparable plays as Gore and is just outdoing Gore? Or were the circumstances more conducive to longer rushing regardless of who was the back at the time?

Marvin49

Reaction score
byau":29jrgxhs said:
Marvin49":29jrgxhs said:
byau":29jrgxhs said:

Thanks Marvin. Btw, long posts are cool, as long as the content lives up to it. I enjoy hearing what you have to say

Re: Gore, I have to admit I had to look up the numbers.

St Louis: 14 rushes, 49 yards, 3.5 yards per carry, not great, not horrible
Denver: 9 rushes, 20 yards, 2.2 yards per carry, not great, closer to horrible.

I was a bit surprised, didn't think it was THAT low. I thought he might be 3.5 to 4.5 and just not getting enough carries.

Part of the reason I was asking was just wondering about not using Gore in that last play vs the Rams. Granted, Colin holding on to the ball would have scored, but he had two plays ahead of that as well within 1 to 2 yards. I would have thought three to four plays of Gore running up the middle would have gotten the score. I didn't think his rushing was THAT bad as above (2.2 ypc, 3.5 ypc). I thought it was more just not getting runs.

Oh, and Hyde

Denver: 3 rushes, 15 yards, 5 ypc
St Louis: 2 rushes, 17 yards, 8.5 ypc

So what you say looks on par with switching to Hyde.

Not recalling the games, did Hyde get his rushes with comparable plays as Gore and is just outdoing Gore? Or were the circumstances more conducive to longer rushing regardless of who was the back at the time?

Couple things...

Hyde has been better in terms of YPC over the past 2, but Gore has been far better overall this season. Hyde has d a tough time as well this year. My feeling moving to Hyde has more to do with fresh legs and making the move for the future of the team that specific stats. Hyde is all energy and effort, but he lacks Franks patience so far. Strangely, Niners only have 3 rushing TDs all year. Hyde has 2 and Gore has 1.

As for last week, Hyde played the entire final series because Frank hurt his hip. I didn't have an issue with the play calling as some did. The plays worked. Twice. The issue on both of those would be scoring plays was execution, not play calling. They also passed twice because of the time on the clock and only 1 remaining TO which they wanted to save for after 3rd down should they need to kick field goal. Pass, pass, run made sense because they could call the TO after that 3rd down run.

Sadly, there was fumble and the rest is history.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hyde is a beast.

harbaugh isn't all that big on putting a lot on a rookie's plate, though.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1nyymcy0 said:
Is Jerry Rice on the niner defense squad's "approved list"?
Steve Young says "no".
Is there a bigger homer for any team on a national level than Steve Young? Loved you as a player Steve, but please just go away. You're supposed to an analyst, not goddamned cheerleader.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ew6kt6o said:
Sports Hernia":2ew6kt6o said:
Steve Young says "no".
Is there a bigger homer for any team on a national level than Steve Young? Loved you as a player Steve, but please just go away. You're supposed to an analyst, not goddamned cheerleader.

?

uh...Steve was critical of the team this week as well. Called them "broken".

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2x0ujqm2 said:
Hyde is a beast.

harbaugh isn't all that big on putting a lot on a rookie's plate, though.

Some truth in that.

Looks like 4 rookies may start on sunday though (Lynch, Martin, Ward, and Borland).

That's mainly due to injury though.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Marvin49":3sykzwuo said:
hawksfansinceday1":3sykzwuo said:
Sports Hernia":3sykzwuo said:
Steve Young says "no".

?

uh...Steve was critical of the team this week as well. Called them "broken".
Perhaps you have never seen the shots of the cheerleaders on the sideline with tears in their eyes after their team has lost?

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawknation2014":9mlh4cku said:
Marvin49":9mlh4cku said:
Odd how it worked out...he never ended up being active for a Niner game.

I have a query for you Marvin because it seems like you are very attuned to the current state of the team. Has the loss of OL Coach Tim Drevno hurt the offense?

Drevno coached with Harbaugh for 10+ years. He was his OC at the University of San Diego, then his OL Coach at Stanford and the 49ers. Maybe 49er fans were giving too much credit to Greg Roman for the offense's toughness. They're getting manhandled right now.
Side note, but I would just like to think the 49ers for giving USC Coach Drevno. He's been doing wonders with the Trojans' very young o-line.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Marvin and Byau. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Good reading.
Go Hawks.

The Battle #83

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":26czvrii said:
Sports Hernia":26czvrii said:
Steve Young says "no".

Trent Dilfer for the 49ers?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Scottemojo":jgh7m50v said:
If so, why isn't Stevie on the field more?

Because Crabtree is a "third down receiver."
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_269 ... ortunities

Fact is Roman is retarded.

marymoorhawk":jgh7m50v said:
Marvin49":jgh7m50v said:
Scottemojo":jgh7m50v said:
If so, why isn't Stevie on the field more?

Crab just seems off. Not sure why.

Ask Sherm ... he knows why.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7PH35C7Fhq0

This though. Crabtree just isn't that good. He's a number 2, always has been. It just looked like he made the offense so much better last year because before he played other than Boldin the wide receivers were guys who were cut midseason. Marlon Moore doesn't exactly inspire fear as a starter, does he?

He is definitely among the most overrated WRs in the game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
People would have to think he's amazing for him to be overrated, and I don't think anyone has ever thought that. At this point he's either injured or the injuries over time have simply caught up with him(equally plausible, IMO).

If I had to guess I think he'll be on a one year, five to six million "prove it" deal next year on a team that he'll have the opportunity to do so on (e.g. the pats, the Cowboys if they can't get Dez resigned*).

Assuming he's just injured right now, in the right situation I can see him getting overpaid (a la a guy like Colston; an average WR 1 who can put up big stats in a pass first offense but was never special by any means).

* Better yet, I'd love the story if the Boys resigned Dez and Rolando, let Murray walk, brought Crabs back to Texas on a one year prove-it and brought ADP back to Texas on a three year/15 million type deal with a lot of guarantees. ADP's value is too low right now given his age and off field issues, and Murray's is waaaayyy too high (not enough credit to the o-line, and his amazing year has made people forget that these first 10 games might be the first time he has been healthy for 10 straight games in his career).