Jeter Shmeter...nt

drdiags

Reaction score
I have nothing against Jeter. He was blessed to play for a team with deep history and was part of a winning era. He helped the organization continue to win, no matter how some felt they did it. If he plays in a smaller market, he isn't going to get the same acclaim, even Ripken benefited from playing in an Orioles organization that had history of winning, though not as exalted by the East coast media as the Yankees.

When Kobe retires along with a few other high profile athletes, they will get their tribute because that is how the sports world operates, sort of like the old Roman gladiator days and era. Tossing rose petals at the feet of their conquering heroes.

Our sports media makes more of us cynics, along with some penis envy. Rare is the sports fan that tries to see all this in non-tinted glasses.

Not a fan but not a detractor. He has earned his tribute, not only by the Yankees fans but those that chose to join in. A lot of the story tellers for our sports enterprise have roots from the area he played in. Yes, things are going to be magnified.

Best of luck after your career is over Jeter. Time for a new icon to be anointed.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":5s68i3c6 said:
I really hate the Yankees..Funny how their history has a lot of the games greats and it is due to being in the biggest city with the most money ..The funny thing is as a kid I was a Yankees fan before the Mariners started..Television had a lot to with that but I couldn't have been the only Seattle area kid this happened to..(RIP Billy Martin) As for Jeter I think he is a steady ball player and that's pretty much it..I respect him for it but I think he has been overated most of his years..I think there was other guys who along with him contributed as much but don't get the credit -Bernie Williams,Posada,Paul O'Neill,Tino Martinez ect ..From 96-2000 they won 4...9years later another..If he was so great as they made him out to be how could you not win more in the other 15 years you played?I know they aren't easy but to glorify a guy so much as they have ..He should have more titles ..The money and stars the Yankees pour into that team every year Jeter has been there and they only have 5???How much credit does he really deserve???Please retire and spend all those millions you piled up "media queen" because you earned it..

Really? The only reason the Yankees have so many WS wins is because they play in New York? Where do the Mets play? Huh?

If he's not so great because the Yankees ONLY won one WS since 2000, then what does that make Griffey Jr? (Besides a traitor who left the Mariners out to dry.) Hell, Griffey never did win even one WS...using your logic he must really stink.

The Radish

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3ii9wfoe said:
IndyHawk":3ii9wfoe said:
I really hate the Yankees..Funny how their history has a lot of the games greats and it is due to being in the biggest city with the most money ..The funny thing is as a kid I was a Yankees fan before the Mariners started..Television had a lot to with that but I couldn't have been the only Seattle area kid this happened to..(RIP Billy Martin) As for Jeter I think he is a steady ball player and that's pretty much it..I respect him for it but I think he has been overated most of his years..I think there was other guys who along with him contributed as much but don't get the credit -Bernie Williams,Posada,Paul O'Neill,Tino Martinez ect ..From 96-2000 they won 4...9years later another..If he was so great as they made him out to be how could you not win more in the other 15 years you played?I know they aren't easy but to glorify a guy so much as they have ..He should have more titles ..The money and stars the Yankees pour into that team every year Jeter has been there and they only have 5???How much credit does he really deserve???Please retire and spend all those millions you piled up "media queen" because you earned it..

Really? The only reason the Yankees have so many WS wins is because they play in New York? Where do the Mets play? Huh?

If he's not so great because the Yankees ONLY won one WS since 2000, then what does that make Griffey Jr? (Besides a traitor who left the Mariners out to dry.) Hell, Griffey never did win even one WS...using your logic he must really stink.

Well someone in this string definitely does.

:D

LymonHawk

Reaction score
^^^^^^

Hi Les! Did I tell you my old boss, Breean Beggs, is running for Spokane County Prosecutor? (I know, I tried to raise him right.)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":svvwik4e said:
IndyHawk":svvwik4e said:

When I talked about their total WS wins -You understand they were around way longer before the Mets..The Yankees have way more fans ..Way more Superstars in that history to win all those WS..More $$$ to make it happen too..History proves it in my opinion..As for the Griffey compare-Ouch! How much $$ did frigging George Argyros,Jeff Smulyan and Nintendo put into the team from top to bottom during the kids years??We had a few great players no doubt
and made a great run in 95 but lost in the ALCS..From top to bottom Griffey did not have nearly what Jeter had around him when you factor in pitching..I wouldn't call him a traitor..He was here for a total of 11-12 yrs?He will be in the HOF as a Mariner but your still butt hurt over a trade..If we reversed players put Griffey in pinstripes from 95-2014 I bet they would have won just as many if not more WS...Jeter on the Mariners ...Team leaves Seattle...

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2bfzqkpe said:
LymonHawk":2bfzqkpe said:
IndyHawk":2bfzqkpe said:

When I talked about their total WS wins -You understand they were around way longer before the Mets..The Yankees have way more fans ..Way more Superstars in that history to win all those WS..More $$$ to make it happen too..History proves it in my opinion..As for the Griffey compare-Ouch! How much $$ did frigging George Argyros,Jeff Smulyan and Nintendo put into the team from top to bottom during the kids years??We had a few great players no doubt
and made a great run in 95 but lost in the ALCS..From top to bottom Griffey did not have nearly what Jeter had around him when you factor in pitching..I wouldn't call him a traitor..He was here for a total of 11-12 yrs?He will be in the HOF as a Mariner but your still butt hurt over a trade..If we reversed players put Griffey in pinstripes from 95-2014 I bet they would have won just as many if not more WS...Jeter on the Mariners ...Team leaves Seattle...

???, Where in my quote of your post do you mention total WS wins?

The Yankees have been winning WS' before there was even Free Agents or a Free Agent draft, or TV deals...check some baseball history, will ya. When the only thing that counted was how good your organisation was...and herein lies your problem as a Mariners' fan. The Mariners' FO has sucked for soooo long it's a joke. Why do you think Jr. left? It wasn't for more money. BTW: Jeter, Pettit, B. Williams, Posada, and Mariano, all came up through the Yankee farm system.

Why would I as a Yankee fan, be butt hurt over Griffey Jr. sticking it in your (collective) butts? You claimed, wrongly, that if Jeter was so great the Yankees should have won more WS'. Last I looked baseball was a team game. That's why I made the Griffey comparison...or Edgar...or...

You talk about the Yankees having more fans. I was watching the Ms v. A's series last weekend and the stadium was like half empty? Where the hell was your great fan base?....home drinking lattes and eating quiche?

If you want to go round with me, you're gonna have to bring stronger sauce than the pap you're serving.

BTW: I've been a Yankee bandwaggoner since 1951.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Lymon you do make some fine points and we could argue/debate for quite some time but I'm going to let it go unless you want me to pm you more of my opinion ..I wasn't aware you are a Yankee fan ,I missed that and wow 1951..Thats pretty
good history you got to see...

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":10ndhhmh said:
Lymon you do make some fine points and we could argue/debate for quite some time but I'm going to let it go unless you want me to pm you more of my opinion ..I wasn't aware you are a Yankee fan ,I missed that and wow 1951..Thats pretty
good history you got to see...

OK. Did I also mention that as a kid I used to sell, pennants, pins, etc, outside the original Stadium? And here's another...the land on which the latest Stadium is built, was known as McComb's Dam Park. As a teenager I played ball in that park...foots and softball, and plus they had a cinder track.

We're cool, Indy...I do this number here about every 2-3 years, with someone. That's why Radish was wondering why I hadn't joined the discussion, yet.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
Don't care for the Yanks too much; but dude's got ~3500 hits, > .300 avg, 250 hrs etc...over-rated my ass. Oh yeah, plays gold glove SS too.
I am sick of the retirement parties going on these days though...

-SH

Tical21

Reaction score
I can't hate on the Yankees. I wanted to for a while and couldn't bring myself to do it. Every kid who thinks they have a realistic shot of playing in the big leagues someday, from any country, dreams of what it would feel like to put on the pinstripes and play in Yankee stadium. The names and legends I grew up reading and hearing about were Yankees. How can you dislike Dimaggio or Ruth for goodness sake? And now we're supposed to dislike them because they're the Yankees?

I personally believe 90% of the people that hate on the Yankees are hypocrites. If the situations were different, and Seattle just happened to have the population and TV money that the Yankees have, would we not be spending the exact same way? We hate on the Yankees because they buy a lot of players. We act like it is immoral for them to do so. But we would buy those same players in a second if we could.

"The Flip". I could watch it over and over again. The number of baseball players ever born that would make that play is a very small number. And I'm one of them. Taught me all I need to know about the guy. And has ANYBODY, EVER, EVER in the history of mankind, notched more 10's on their belt?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Jeter is my favorite non-mariners. Is he overhyped? I don't think so

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SmokeyHawk":84bnupl9 said:
Don't care for the Yanks too much; but dude's got ~3500 hits, > .300 avg, 250 hrs etc...over-rated my ass. Oh yeah, plays gold glove SS too.
I am sick of the retirement parties going on these days though...

-SH
I have to respond to this ..I did use the word overrated and it was a poor choice to use that term...I had major dental work done so I wasn't all there(meds/pain ect) then Lymon gets on board and I just about threw up trying to keep up with everything ...DJ is a HOF I won't dispute that ..My only thing is he gets overhyped by that massive New York media..I guess it's either you will or you'll get ripped to pieces like Randy Johnson did while there..I think that big media played a role in him getting more gold gloves than he deserved , many stats pointed out that he hadn't played worthy of any gold gloves for last 7-8 years ..Theres been a few years where he had no business being an All Star but these things get handed to him ..He's lucky that he got to be in New York surrounded by All Stars every year..I understand the guy has many fans but I've been sick of hearing about him for some years so I'm glad he is done.."That is all"

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Indy: Once again you have it wrong. It's the Yankees who are lucky to have him. Not only was Jeter one of the best players around, he's also one of the classiest players around.

...And that's why he received some much adulation from most of the baseball community...except from you of course.

Never have you heard about him using PEDs. Never heard of him beating up his girlfriend/fiance/wife. No DIU's. All you ever heard about him off the field was how many hot woman he dated.

I never heard of him making excuses like you do...."My toothie hurt so I'm not responsible for what I write." Your sauce gets weaker and weaker.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I don't care for Jeter but his stats and rings put him as a 1st ballot HoF'er... My question is... How many times was he even one of the best 3 players on those Yankee teams in a given year?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1fph1qpr said:
Indy: Once again you have it wrong. It's the Yankees who are lucky to have him. Not only was Jeter one of the best players around, he's also one of the classiest players around.

...And that's why he received some much adulation from most of the baseball community...except from you of course.

Never have you heard about him using PEDs. Never heard of him beating up his girlfriend/fiance/wife. No DIU's. All you ever heard about him off the field was how many hot woman he dated.

I never heard of him making excuses like you do...."My toothie hurt so I'm not responsible for what I write." Your sauce gets weaker and weaker.
I made one valid exuse so now I'm full of crap...Whatever man ..I stand by my last post..Your a Yankee fan full of bias ..

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1lecktza said:
LymonHawk":1lecktza said:

I made one valid exuse so now I'm full of crap...Whatever man ..I stand by my last post..Your a Yankee fan full of bias ..

I didn't say you were full of crap, what I said was, "Your sauce gets weaker and weaker."....and it does. What I did point out, was Jeter is more man than you are...he doesn't make excuses for his actions...you do.

In all the time I've been on this board I don't remember anyone using 'meds' as an excuse for a bad post. You said what you said, man up!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":8rivkfck said:
IndyHawk":8rivkfck said:
LymonHawk":8rivkfck said:

I didn't say you were full of crap, what I said was, "Your sauce gets weaker and weaker."....and it does. What I did point out, was Jeter is more man than you are...he doesn't make excuses for his actions...you do.

In all the time I've been on this board I don't remember anyone using 'meds' as an excuse for a bad post. You said what you said, man up!
You keep saying excuses..I made (1)..Nothing more..I don't think you understand what high dose vicodin can do..The fact you say" I don't remember anyone using 'meds' as an excuse for a bad post"should tell you they probaly would be knocked out or unable to sit and type like I did(unfortunately)- I've already admited I had no business being on here in the state I was in and was wrong for putting that post up..I'm not allowed to rectify and that's it?As for Jeter being more man..How do you know him?You certainly don't know me..You only know what the Yankees and Jeter's PR machine puts out there..None of us knows what he really is like in private..So he's got fame and way more money,that makes him more of a MAN :177692: