Jets expected to release Harvin

LTH

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3hgtwpsw said:
It is what it is . . . just further confirmation that Harvin isn't that good. He runs terrible routes and has now run himself out of three teams without endearing himself to anyone.

Our pick moves down two rounds, but it's still a high sixth rounder (Jets' pick is 5th in that round). We now have one pick in each round, plus our three or four compensatories.

yeah but concidering what they gave up for him ? this is a nightmare...

LTH

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LTH":1w60vod2 said:
hawknation2015":1w60vod2 said:
It is what it is . . . just further confirmation that Harvin isn't that good. He runs terrible routes and has now run himself out of three teams without endearing himself to anyone.

Our pick moves down two rounds, but it's still a high sixth rounder (Jets' pick is 5th in that round). We now have one pick in each round, plus our three or four compensatories.

yeah but concidering what they gave up for him ? this is a nightmare...

LTH

Losing a first rounder and $19 million that could have been used to sign other players was a nightmare either way. Having one pick that was two rounds higher would not have changed that.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You have to wonder if there might have been more value there if the F.O. had reached out to more teams. I know there were rumors of us pursuing every TE in the NFL, but on 710 yesterday, JS made it sound like he offered up Harvin to just a few guys he knew throughout the league and made the decision pretty quickly. I know New England confirmed they never knew Harvin was available.

Oh well, addition by subtraction. Time to move on.

jblaze

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2qgofqcc said:
You have to wonder if there might have been more value there if the F.O. had reached out to more teams. I know there were rumors of us pursuing every TE in the NFL, but on 710 yesterday, JS made it sound like he offered up Harvin to just a few guys he knew throughout the league and made the decision pretty quickly. I know New England confirmed they never knew Harvin was available.

JS said last year that they had been shopping Percy for over a month and the Jets were the only team to show interest. After the Thursday night game, the Jets got aggressive and pushed hard and thus the trade was made. JS said they knew in preseason he wasn't going to be a fit and they'd have to move on.

They tried to get as much as they could for him but that was the second team that had given up on him and it was well known he was a cancer. Not to mention his salary was huge so there was not a lot of market for him.

It will be interesting to see what market there is for him now that a third team has given up on him and he's a free agent.

My guess is that he'll get around 4-5m on a one year prove it deal.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":n4r394gs said:

They almost certainly could have gotten more value if they had made the decision to trade him during the last off-season when more teams had the money to dedicate to Harvin's salary requirements. Also, the perception of Harvin's value was significantly higher last off-season, when he was healthy and fresh off a couple standout plays in the Super Bowl.

They might have been able to get a couple draft picks for him at that time. Maybe a 3rd and a 4th. Of course, this is all with hindsight.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
FargoHawk":2wodua4h said:
Hawk_Nation":2wodua4h said:
My list of teams I feel he might land with:

Tampa
Oakland
Santa Clara
St. Louis
New England
Green Bay (if Cobb leaves)

I'm guessing New Orleans. They were talking all year about not having Sproles and the impact that had. Harvin could fill that Bush/Sproles role.

Except New Orleans is in Cap Hell, so unless he takes a salary of -5mil, I dont see it happening.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1g8vsiqi said:

Tampa
Oakland
Santa Clara
St. Louis
New England
Out of those choices I think Oakland or Tampa Bay would be more likely to take the risk. I don't see New England or Green Bay being in a position where they couldn't get somebody far better team chemistry wise at least.

A

Anonymous

HoustonHawk82":g476m7jt said:
JSeahawks":g476m7jt said:
We need a good return man, maybe we can get him on the cheep?

If he gets out of line we can have ndomokong step on his leg.

:34853_doh:

You, mean, "Ndomuwhosyomama"?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
The ROI on this entire move is just horrible, but ish happens. I practically lose sleep when I think about the talent we could have had (I think 2-3 legit starters) and that alone could have put us over the top in the SB. It's all academic now, and we just gotta move on. PMedic's advice is spot on. This will stop hurting when we learn to stop talking about it.

Hyak

Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. The ROI in terms of money, draft picks, and drama was horrid.
2. That said, the team walked away very quickly once they realized it wasn't going to work. Not all teams do that.
3. The money freed up from his deal coming off the books allowed for the Avril and KJ extensions and allowing them the flexibility to extend RW and BW.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If Jets were smart, or if I was them...

I would try to swap Harvin with Vincent Jackson.

Then both teams can restructure the contracts for new signing bonuses for new upfront money.

Players wouldnt turn down new money like that.

The teams then can put both players on team friendly incentive based contracts.

Jackson would be a good complement to Decker with thier run game.

Harvin is ex-Gator hero which would help put some fans in the seat and pair him with Mariota or Winston would make them uber dynamic on Offense.

Harvin would also do much better on a warm weather team, imo.

Just food for thought.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jblaze":1qry11vd said:
Not surprising. He's proving his talent and production do not outweigh his headaches.

What a drop for Harvin. A couple years ago a front runner for MVP before he got hurt, traded for a ton and given a huge contract and now dropped by two teams and will likely get mid talent money in free agency.

Amazing drop in a fairly short amount of time.
Percy Harvin was the SECOND "Poison Pill" that we got from the Vikings.
Should have known better that to get wrapped up in Harvin Hype.
A high 6th rounder is better that a jab in the eye with a stick, but it's a move forward.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sunk cost, it was an error to have acquired him, he wasn't a good fit with our team, the FO recognized it, it was a very costly mistake, he's gone, the team got something if not much for him, good riddance.

Getting anything for him in the time it took to show him the door was a positive. For the team not to be cap strapped b/c of getting rid of him even better. Frankly I thought it was worthwhile risk to try to get him to work here as Harvin is an uber physical talent. There were times he clearly looked like he was playing on a different level than everyone else on the field and was amazing and exciting to watch. However, he's a genuine headcase, and if Percy doesn't want to play he doesn't. He has the talent to be a genuine star in the NFL but not the head or heart. That certainly doesn't fit a team where everyone works together for the benefit of the whole team.

I'm good with a 6th and think the FO learned an expensive lesson going forward from this situation. A 4th from the Jets is still possible and of course better than a 6th, but I won't hold my breath. Fretting about what could have been fails to acknowledge reality that Harvin was unwilling to fit in here. The team got some extraordinarily expensive big plays from PH but all in all in retrospect perhaps should have just passed on him.

He's no longer a Hawk and frankly he can rot as far as I'm concerned. Hope the Jets can renegotiate his deal and the team gets the 4th as the trade compensation, but all in all I don't want to think about Percy anymore.

2_0_6

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3nrh8txn said:
Hawk_Nation":3nrh8txn said:

Tampa
Oakland
Santa Clara
St. Louis
New England
Out of those choices I think Oakland or Tampa Bay would be more likely to take the risk. I don't see New England or Green Bay being in a position where they couldn't get somebody far better team chemistry wise at least.

Ya I agree, that's why I listed them first. With Crabtree leaving SF, I can see them making a play to fill his role and let Harvin have the opportunity to get concussed err I mean get back at us twice a year.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Man, did we ever miss on that guy, eh?

The lowly jets with millions in cap space won't even keep him for a swap between a 4th and 6th... while we gave him so much guaranteed and a 1st, 3rd +

Rat

Reaction score
There's talk that Wes Welker might be retiring. If that happens, Denver is an interesting fit for him. If you're going all-in on Manning, you gotta give him all the weapons you can.

seahawksny

Reaction score
FargoHawk":1ap84bb1 said:
Hawk_Nation":1ap84bb1 said:

Tampa
Oakland
Santa Clara
St. Louis
New England

I'm guessing New Orleans. They were talking all year about not having Sproles and the impact that had. Harvin could fill that Bush/Sproles role.

Oakland
Oakland
Oakland
Oakland
New York Knicks

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAND DOCTOR!! I mean......Oakland

brimsalabim

Reaction score
You think Percy would run those precise timing routes that Manning likes to run? I don't see it but You never know. If I was a GM and I had to sign him I swear I'd only offer a pay by play contract.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":1zzcn2w1 said:
FargoHawk":1zzcn2w1 said:
Hawk_Nation":1zzcn2w1 said:

Tampa
Oakland
Santa Clara
St. Louis
New England

Oakland
Oakland
Oakland
Oakland
New York Knicks

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAND DOCTOR!! I mean......Oakland

if that's the case...we better sign Eddie Curry to a max deal again, asap!!

ahhh....reminds me of the good old days when we signed that french dude that Vince Carter jumped over to dunk in the Olympics.Ahh Frederic, sacre bleu!!