Jets expected to release Harvin

Rat

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2v5iex3m said:
You think Percy would run those precise timing routes that Manning likes to run? I don't see it but You never know. If I was a GM and I had to sign him I swear I'd only offer a pay by play contract.
I don't know, but they're as much into "need to win now" territory as a franchise can get. They'll have to take some gambles.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I bet Belichick would straighten him out and NE would be even scarier with him.

PC wants players to be themselves, and in cases like for our team it didn't work.

Belichick would be like..my way or sit on the bench. I'm not even going to let you decide when you do and don't play. I decide it. Think your special? I got Tom Brady and Gronk...you're not that special. Harvin would fall in line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I get that Harvin's a brittle ass, but this is surprising.

The Jets have almost 50M in cap space, and desperately need playmakers on both sides of the ball, so I can't imagine they'd cut Harvin just over keeping a 4th round pick.

Only thing I can chalk this up to is Bowles and the new regime wants to clean house and make a statement.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":nofgf6d9 said:
I get that Harvin's a brittle ass, but this is surprising.

The Jets have almost 50M in cap space, and desperately need playmakers on both sides of the ball, so I can't imagine they'd cut Harvin just over keeping a 4th round pick.

Only thing I can chalk this up to is Bowles and the new regime wants to clean house and make a statement.

Or Harvin simply annoys them. But yeah your right on paper it raises questions why they would do that.

CHawK247

Reaction score
If those 3 Td were never called back @ Washington, he'd still be here.

kearly

Reaction score
Wouldn't be a shock if Harvin took a pay cut and stayed. Yeah the Jets suck, but making $6 million or $7 million a year is probably preferable to being a guy looking at his 4th team in 2 years. Those kind of players do not get paid.

CHawK247

Reaction score
No way Jose!! We have no idea how "tense" he made the locker room.[/quote]

Hey im glad things worked out the way they did. But Lets look at Percy's perspective for just a sec.

Since college he's been known as fragile. And right after signing a huge contract and becoming the "missing" piece to a great team..he gets injured! Embarrassing much!?

So what can you do but rehab and make the most outta your chance when you get back on the field..which he did. His first play back he had an amazing catch before being bountied by the saints. Then when he comes back in the SB he plays lights out. Nobody in the leauge runs harder than him. Execpt #24 and AP.

JS said himself he was shoppin him before the season started. But how much of that was just 19million $ in regret? Would he have done the same if it was only 6 or 7?

The pressure of staying healthy and living up to his contract, and you only touch the ball on Bubble screens and Jet Sweeps! Its like we were trying to injure him. Anybody would be frustraded.

The moment we made him our focal point we were doomed. We turned the season around by getting our boys back healthy, RW using his legs to make up for poor line play, and not forcing bubble screens to a guy everyone and their mama knew was going to get the ball.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
CHawK247":2czh80x6 said:
Hey im glad things worked out the way they did. But Lets look at Percy's perspective for just a sec.

Since college he's been known as fragile. And right after signing a huge contract and becoming the "missing" piece to a great team..he gets injured! Embarrassing much!?

So what can you do but rehab and make the most outta your chance when you get back on the field..which he did. His first play back he had an amazing catch before being bountied by the saints. Then when he comes back in the SB he plays lights out. Nobody in the leauge runs harder than him. Execpt #24 and AP.

JS said himself he was shoppin him before the season started. But how much of that was just 19million $ in regret? Would he have done the same if it was only 6 or 7?

The pressure of staying healthy and living up to his contract, and you only touch the ball on Bubble screens and Jet Sweeps! Its like we were trying to injure him. Anybody would be frustraded.

The moment we made him our focal point we were doomed. We turned the season around by getting our boys back healthy, RW using his legs to make up for poor line play, and not forcing bubble screens to a guy everyone and their mama knew was going to get the ball.

On the other hand, the Hawks gave up a 1st, 3rd and 7th along with a 6yr/67million dollar contract to him, you better expect to be the focal point. They used him for what he's best at, which is getting the ball in space and letting him use his speed and his moves. Team got better when people got healthy as well as when Harvin was gone, only those that work with the team know how much impact either had.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":348fg3q9 said:
DavidSeven":348fg3q9 said:
You have to wonder if there might have been more value there if the F.O. had reached out to more teams. I know there were rumors of us pursuing every TE in the NFL, but on 710 yesterday, JS made it sound like he offered up Harvin to just a few guys he knew throughout the league and made the decision pretty quickly. I know New England confirmed they never knew Harvin was available.

Oh well, addition by subtraction. Time to move on.

They almost certainly could have gotten more value if they had made the decision to trade him during the last off-season when more teams had the money to dedicate to Harvin's salary requirements. Also, the perception of Harvin's value was significantly higher last off-season, when he was healthy and fresh off a couple standout plays in the Super Bowl.

They might have been able to get a couple draft picks for him at that time. Maybe a 3rd and a 4th. Of course, this is all with hindsight.
But why would they have traded him last off season? They chose Harvin over Tate basically, and Harvin had yet to be a "distraction" so I don't think it's a valid point to say his value was higher in the off season because by all accounts there was no desire to ship him away.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
CHawK247":2ttn743i said:
No way Jose!! We have no idea how "tense" he made the locker room.

1. Harvin did not have an amazing catch when he came back. The only amazing thing about it was that he caught it more than 5 yards beyond the LOS.

2. Against the Saints Harvin would not have caught ANY of the passes thrown to him, so even IF they were going after harvin he still was not doing a good job at catching the ball which is important for a WR.... In the super bowl he did have a couple good plays, but his best play (a return TD on a blown punt) came after the game was already over.

3. Harvin is fast, but he doesnt run any "harder" than anyone as fast as him. He does have above-average acceleration for speedy WRs though.

4. The Hawks could only run bubble screens and sweeps with him because (shocker) Harvin sucks major gator balls at running routes. He also struggles catching in traffic and jump balls and basically anything beyond 5 yards. The Hawks couldn't put Harvin in any traditional packages except as a decoy and (shocker) Harvin was a lousy decoy unlike what his fans claimed.

The Hawks COULD NOT run their normal offense effectively with Harvin on the field so they could: a) try to run the percy harvin offense and hope to get something in return for him, or (b) keep harvin on the bench and make him the most expensive bench warmer ever while 95% of hawk nation stupidly thought Harvin was good and would revolt.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Technically speaking, would it be possible for the Jets to trade Harvin before the 19th March for say a 5th, whilst ensuring we only get a 6th?

Again, technically speaking, don't get angry with the sentiments.

olyfan63

Reaction score
brimsalabim":32dtkguq said:
You think Percy would run those precise timing routes that Manning likes to run? I don't see it but You never know. If I was a GM and I had to sign him I swear I'd only offer a pay by play contract.

This ^^^

I think Percy will be lucky to get a $2M deal this next year. Teams know what he is.
Hint: his behavior and history checks all the boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder, with sociopathic tendencies.
By now, most teams know his net effect is so damaging it's better to stay away.

While Vince Young appears to have a similar-but-different flavor of these issues, no team has been willing to bring him in, because of his similar net effect on a team.

The tiger can't change its stripes.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1my5zlrm said:
Technically speaking, would it be possible for the Jets to trade Harvin before the 19th March for say a 5th, whilst ensuring we only get a 6th?

We don't have the express terms of the agreement, but I would imagine that there has to be some stipulation if a trade happens before the deadline. If the Jets are getting value for Harvin, then the Seahawks would probably get to keep the 4th rounder. That would make a trade a near impossibility for the Jets, i.e. the value they receive would have to be greater than losing their fourth rounder to the Seahawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":295qvji3 said:

Of course, but the likelihood of another team wanting to be on the hook for the remainder of his contract is next to zero.

Harvin's stock is so low right now, any team even mildly interested in him would wait til he's cut so they can get him for cheap, and not 10-12M a year.

Hyak

Reaction score
The only thing I have seen reported is that he has to be on the Jets roster on the 10th day of the 2015 league year (3/19). That would seem to indicate that if they trade or cut him prior, the Hawks get the Jets 6th rounder. If he's on the Jets, they get the NY 4th rounder regardless of whether they renegotiate the deal.

CHawK247

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":7rxg1zdw said:
CHawK247":7rxg1zdw said:

1. Harvin did not have an amazing catch when he came back. The only amazing thing about it was that he caught it more than 5 yards beyond the LOS.

2. Against the Saints Harvin would not have caught ANY of the passes thrown to him, so even IF they were going after harvin he still was not doing a good job at catching the ball which is important for a WR.... In the super bowl he did have a couple good plays, but his best play (a return TD on a blown punt) came after the game was already over.

3. Harvin is fast, but he doesnt run any "harder" than anyone as fast as him. He does have above-average acceleration for speedy WRs though.

4. The Hawks could only run bubble screens and sweeps with him because (shocker) Harvin sucks major gator balls at running routes. He also struggles catching in traffic and jump balls and basically anything beyond 5 yards. The Hawks couldn't put Harvin in any traditional packages except as a decoy and (shocker) Harvin was a lousy decoy unlike what his fans claimed.

The Hawks COULD NOT run their normal offense effectively with Harvin on the field so they could: a) try to run the percy harvin offense and hope to get something in return for him, or (b) keep harvin on the bench and make him the most expensive bench warmer ever while 95% of hawk nation stupidly thought Harvin was good and would revolt.

1. Yes he did but you prolly wouldn't know since you didn't watch the game because you weren't a fan until after we won SB 48.

2. Blown punt....after the game was over!? :roll: :lol: Again if you were actually a real fan you would never forget the explosive 87 yd Kickoff return to start the 2nd half . To re-enforce the momentum we had in the first half and step on their throats.

3. "Harvin is fast, but he doesnt run any "harder" than anyone as fast as him." :34853_doh:

4. Yes we went out and spent millions on a decoy who can just run screens and sweeps :roll:

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
CHawK247":11sibjph said:
bjornanderson21":11sibjph said:
CHawK247":11sibjph said:

1. Yes he did but you prolly wouldn't know since you didn't watch the game because you weren't a fan until after we won SB 48.

2. Blown punt....after the game was over!? :roll: :lol: Again if you were actually a real fan you would never forget the explosive 87 yd Kickoff return to start the 2nd half . To re-enforce the momentum we had in the first half and step on their throats.

3. "Harvin is fast, but he doesnt run any "harder" than anyone as fast as him." :34853_doh:

4. Yes we went out and spent millions on a decoy who can just run screens and sweeps :roll:

1. Again, no it was not an amazing 17 yard catch. You really are lowering the bar to call that amazing.

2. Please explain how the game was not already over? We already more than doubled the amount of points they ended with and they were doing nothing on offense. The entire second half was garbage time, including the return by the mediocre cfl-quality wr.

3. I am not 21 as my name suggests, and I have been a fan for over 25 years. I was a fan during the many bad years, and I get to enjoy the great years we've been having.

You obviously were wrong about Harvin and are mad about it. But I wasn't wrong about him. Here are the things I said about the Harvin trade the day we traded for him:

1. This will be the worst move that Schneider ever makes and will be the worst move in Hawks history. Unless Schneider makes a move worse than Harvin then both those statements were true.

2. I predicted that Harvin would play 0 regular season games in 2013. I got a lot of flak for predicting an injury. I ended up being off by only 1 game, where according to you he caught an "amazing" pass for 17 yards.

3. I predicted that Harvin would be off the team before the start of the 2015 season. I also got crap for this prediction because his many jock-sniffers said there was NO WAY the hawks would take a dead cap hit to NOT play for us. Guess what? Harvin was given the boot before the beginning of the 2015 season.

4. I predicted that the Harvin acquisition meant Tate would not be resigned. There were a lot of others who predicted this (unlike my other predictions) so im not unique in that regard, but sure enough the Hawks did not keep Tate and we can easily point to the outrageous amount of money we were spending on a mediocre wr/rb.

I saw how horribly this trade was going to go down from day 1. You failed to do so. You have no reason to talk.