Jimmy Graham "Barely Practiced" during the week before games

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ja5ebok said:
Sgt. Largent":3ja5ebok said:
theincrediblesok":3ja5ebok said:
This was corroborated by teammates who said he barely did any work in the offseason or training camp, either.

If I was Graham I'd be frothing at the mouth with rage after killing myself rehabbing one of the worst knee injuries a player can sustain getting all the way back for the start of training camp.

It depends on what anyone meant when they said it.

"Jimmy didn't practice before games" is not a negative or a positive until someone wants to assume anything more into it then the basic factual statement made

That's why I hate all this speculative reporting. Crap like "teammates said" and "unnamed reports."

The OP's post sure makes it look like people are saying Graham wasn't working hard enough, and that's BS. Dude rehabbed like a maniac to get back..........and barely practiced? Most of the veterans get their days off every single week. Graham's no different.

Just a stupid article. Man do I hate the off season.

Largent80

Reaction score
It's amazing he even played at all let alone the whining by people here of his lack of targets.

Considering that injury status and looking at his numbers, I'm in amazement. Dude is a beast.

nash72

Reaction score
Largent80":30o8qz24 said:
It's amazing he even played at all let alone the whining by people here of his lack of targets.

Considering that injury status and looking at his numbers, I'm in amazement. Dude is a beast.

But he did play so why not try and utilize him correctly? 6 TD's and 900 YD's might be good Seahawk TE numbers from a franchise aspect, but those are awful Jimmy Graham numbers. There's a difference.

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":3b61xbgz said:

Being amazed by him playing is completely unrelated to his lack of targets in the redzone

They were obviously able to target him elsewhere..........

Sure things would be better if they were more on the same page and could practice but if he is out there then he should be so because he is the best at his position. If he is the best option at his position then you should be able to throw him the ball in the endzone

I can feel this and still be amazed at why he is out there. Heck it makes it more annoying that he put the work in to be out there and wasn't being targeted in the redzone..........

You can argue why they didn't throw it to him in the redzone and if we scored in the RZ I really wouldn't care who did the scoring (like the TD that Baldwin took from Kearse -don't care about who scored it). I do care about the fact that our RZ offense was HORRIBLE and we didn't then go to our best option

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Some of you obviously don't understand what a 'target' means, which is par for the course.

RussB

Reaction score
drdiags":1nptu9gq said:
Problem is next season is his final year on the current contract. The team may have run out of time trying to get him indoctrinated into the offense. We will see but he more than likely moves on.
Would suck to see him go to another team and start balling out.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":27w2fcpm said:
Some of you obviously don't understand what a 'target' means, which is par for the course.

Not all targets are the same, just because someone received a target doesn't mean it's ideal. Some throw aways get recorded as targets for a player. Another example would be Graham starting in line, chipped a DE inside the 5, and then went out into the flat. Russell scrambles after the O line breaks down and then he targets Graham on a prayer in the back of the endzone with 3 guys around him.

Jimmy got his target, but it was a crap target and doesn't mean we are using him correctly down in the RZ. I would love to see more motioning him off the line to be isolated outside with no one else on his side, even if a DB or LB is on him Russ has the option to throw the fade, the back shoulder, or the quick slant where he's so big he just basically boxes out the defender.

I'm really hoping that we integrate him not only more often in the red zone, but in more efficient ways. He's a match up nightmare against nearly every single player in the NFL, let's start using him as such.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":yk3mcpdc said:
Siouxhawk":yk3mcpdc said:

Not all targets are the same, just because someone received a target doesn't mean it's ideal. Some throw aways get recorded as targets for a player. Another example would be Graham starting in line, chipped a DE inside the 5, and then went out into the flat. Russell scrambles after the O line breaks down and then he targets Graham on a prayer in the back of the endzone with 3 guys around him.

Jimmy got his target, but it was a crap target and doesn't mean we are using him correctly down in the RZ. I would love to see more motioning him off the line to be isolated outside with no one else on his side, even if a DB or LB is on him Russ has the option to throw the fade, the back shoulder, or the quick slant where he's so big he just basically boxes out the defender.

I'm really hoping that we integrate him not only more often in the red zone, but in more efficient ways. He's a match up nightmare against nearly every single player in the NFL, let's start using him as such.
And I'm sure we will see some more creative designs for him next year, but because our line was in such dire straits, he had to stay in and block or at least chip block to prevent Russ from being pound to ground beef more than he was. He's a tight end and that was his role. And obviously this was coming from Pete, as his final presser indicated. He was quite pleased with Jimmy's development in blocking support.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":38ex6s8o said:
Largent80":38ex6s8o said:

6 TD's and 900 YD's might be good Seahawk TE numbers from a franchise aspect, but those are awful Jimmy Graham numbers.

Compared to what? Jimmy Graham in New Orleans, where they attempted 200 pass attempts a season MORE than Seattle does?

nash72

Reaction score
He's been blocking and playing the decoy ever since he's been here. He should be neither. Why in God's name did we even sign him?

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2dy8mk26 said:
scrummymustard":2dy8mk26 said:
Siouxhawk":2dy8mk26 said:

And I'm sure we will see some more creative designs for him next year, but because our line was in such dire straits, he had to stay in and block or at least chip block to prevent Russ from being pound to ground beef more than he was. He's a tight end and that was his role. And obviously this was coming from Pete, as his final presser indicated. He was quite pleased with Jimmy's development in blocking support.

Of course it's part of his role, but that doesn't mean it should be happening in the Red Zone. We have other tight ends that can chip block in the RZ.

In other parts of the field? Sure have Jimmy do it, but it makes little sense to take I'd say our best touch down receiver out of the play just to give that opportunity to say, Kearse. Put Vannett in the TE role and let Graham run Kearse's routes when we get closer to the end zone. It shouldn't take 3 years for the coaching staff to figure it out.

nash72

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":11cosgj5 said:
nash72":11cosgj5 said:
Largent80":11cosgj5 said:

6 TD's and 900 YD's might be good Seahawk TE numbers from a franchise aspect, but those are awful Jimmy Graham numbers.

Compared to what? Jimmy Graham in New Orleans, where they attempted 200 pass attempts a season MORE than Seattle does?

Well, you knew what we were getting right? He's a pass catching TE thats a matchup nightmare for anybody and we still have one if not the worst Redzone offense in the NFL. It just doesnt make sense. People can use the line excuse all they want, but come on. He'll never be used correctly here. We just dont have a coaching staff thats capable of doing so. If I was Graham, I wouldnt walk away from Seattle, I would run.

The guy should have double digit catches practically every game and be over 1000 yards at the end of the season. That wont happen here.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":3poz27mm said:
Siouxhawk":3poz27mm said:
scrummymustard":3poz27mm said:
Siouxhawk":3poz27mm said:

Of course it's part of his role, but that doesn't mean it should be happening in the Red Zone. We have other tight ends that can chip block in the RZ.

In other parts of the field? Sure have Jimmy do it, but it makes little sense to take I'd say our best touch down receiver out of the play just to give that opportunity to say, Kearse. Put Vannett in the TE role and let Graham run Kearse's routes when we get closer to the end zone. It shouldn't take 3 years for the coaching staff to figure it out.
It would be interesting to see the breakdown percentage of how many times Jimmy was used exclusively as a blocker in relation to his total snaps. I think it would be a pretty low percentage. So he was running the chip block and drag routes or those where he sits down after 7 yards. Some of those were open, but Russ didn't go his way, likely because he was being chased like rabbit by a D end or linebacker.

Shore up the line and Jimmy's touchdown catches will increase. But like Montana said, don't expect Saints like numbers in our balanced offense. That would be unrealistic.

cymatica

Reaction score
Maybe Bevell is just following orders and giving Graham experience for his future job at right tackle

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":14emh2mg said:
RolandDeschain":14emh2mg said:
Siouxhawk":14emh2mg said:
I think he was utilized quite well.
Seriously, are you Darrell Bevell IRL, or do you know him or are related to him? I'm actually asking, it's not a joke question.

In any case...Graham's a baller, hope we start targeting him more, and in better situations.

Sioux City, Iowa is in the same county as the now defunct Westmar University where Bevell was the QB coach in '96. In '97 Bevell coached as a grad assistant at Iowa State. There's possibly a connection there.

Back on topic, I certainly hope they get Graham extended and with a lower cap hit. The fact he came back the way he did and made the Pro Bowl after that injury is simply remarkable. He has a few more really good years left.

I honestly think he's probably Bevell's dad...

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1871bls9 said:
Uncle Si":1871bls9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1871bls9 said:
theincrediblesok":1871bls9 said:
This was corroborated by teammates who said he barely did any work in the offseason or training camp, either.

If I was Graham I'd be frothing at the mouth with rage after killing myself rehabbing one of the worst knee injuries a player can sustain getting all the way back for the start of training camp.

It depends on what anyone meant when they said it.

"Jimmy didn't practice before games" is not a negative or a positive until someone wants to assume anything more into it then the basic factual statement made

That's why I hate all this speculative reporting. Crap like "teammates said" and "unnamed reports."

The OP's post sure makes it look like people are saying Graham wasn't working hard enough, and that's BS. Dude rehabbed like a maniac to get back..........and barely practiced? Most of the veterans get their days off every single week. Graham's no different.

Just a stupid article. Man do I hate the off season.

That was not my intention at all, that was a quote from the article. If you had read both article it did mention he did everything he could to to get back, he was given a 70% chance of never playing again. I'm not trying to make it seem like Graham was a lazy player. I just quoted what the article said. If anything I was trying to see if that was the reason why we weren't using Graham more and why Wilson and Graham's chemistry wasn't there this year. If you feel like that's what I'm implying then that's on you and your assumption. I'm grateful that he came back strong at least we can agree on that, and I'm thrilled to see what he can do this season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":2a3uec18 said:
Yeah, I'm sure Jimmy is pretty pissed about cashing a $950,000 check EACH WEEK.
He can get that money from oh, say, 31 other teams in the league. If you think making big bucks washes away frustration from being misused and watching illogical play calls and formations happen with regularity doesn't annoy him or negatively affect his perception of some things within the team, then I don't know what to tell you, except...Pass me what you're smoking. :)