Jimmy Graham to seattle? ESPN believes it is possible...

sutz

Reaction score
The idea that Schneid would give up 2 #1's and a boatload of cash for Graham makes me wondering what these guys have been smoking.

We're much better off with Graham dragging down another team, where we can periodically shut him down. ;)

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
bigcc":2nbr3izl said:
grab ASJ at 32 for 1/16th the price, keep an extra first rounder in the process. Not comparing ASJ to Graham, but dudes solid in the red zone, and thats all we really need him for..... The two 1sts for Graham I'd do in a heartbeat..... just not for his price.

I would be fine with this

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Steve2222":ag8oodub said:
Seahawk Sailor":ag8oodub said:
No way I see this happening. This type of move is completely against the grain of our philosophy under Pete Carroll and John Schneider. The goal is to be able to keep young, productive guys coming in via the draft, and limit the number of expensive free agents we bring in. Not only would Graham be expensive monetarily, he would be horribly expensive in terms of draft capital. Sure, both those number one picks are probably going to be very low, but they're still first round picks, still high in terms of the entire draft. There are a lot of very good players sitting in those positions, and we need picks there to pick them there. Especially with this year's draft being minus a third round pick, this hurts us, and just when we finally get ahead of the ball in terms of drafting need. We're finally at the point where we're able to sit back and draft good players where they fall, instead of drafting good players where they fall and hoping like hell they fill one of our glaring needs. There are much better options than to pull the trigger on such a high-cost, risky move.

Robert Gallery, Matt Flynn, Sidney Rice, Heath Miller, and Percy Harvin disagree with everything you just said.

Don't be so pedantic. Those guys are exceptions to the rule, were signed during a different portion of our rebuilding, and the majority of them aren't even here anymore. Also, most of them were a bit younger than 28 when we resigned them.

It's not outside PC's scope to sign veterans, but Graham isn't an impressive prospect for anything anyway. Sailor's point is that we're no longer in the veteran-supplement portion of our rebuilding and that all our major holes look very fillable by this upcoming draft.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Wow, surprised about some of the comments. He is skill set is EXACTLY what we need. There is no rush to do this, the Hawks can wait till after the draft. I would also wait till Bennett decides what he is going to do but if Tate (which I think he is gone) and Bennett leaves, you can easily afford Graham and retain the big three. Before we go into how "soft" he is, please understand he was playing with plantar fasciitis, which is excruciatingly painfully and virtually impossible to plant ones foot. I could see pc/js pulling the trigger on this one....

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Steve2222":2h1n5brj said:
Seahawk Sailor":2h1n5brj said:
No way I see this happening. This type of move is completely against the grain of our philosophy under Pete Carroll and John Schneider. The goal is to be able to keep young, productive guys coming in via the draft, and limit the number of expensive free agents we bring in. Not only would Graham be expensive monetarily, he would be horribly expensive in terms of draft capital. Sure, both those number one picks are probably going to be very low, but they're still first round picks, still high in terms of the entire draft. There are a lot of very good players sitting in those positions, and we need picks there to pick them there. Especially with this year's draft being minus a third round pick, this hurts us, and just when we finally get ahead of the ball in terms of drafting need. We're finally at the point where we're able to sit back and draft good players where they fall, instead of drafting good players where they fall and hoping like hell they fill one of our glaring needs. There are much better options than to pull the trigger on such a high-cost, risky move.

Robert Gallery, Matt Flynn, Sidney Rice, Heath Miller, and Percy Harvin disagree with everything you just said.

None were nearly as expensive, and none were brought in after we'd put the pieces together for a championship-caliber team. Each filled glaring holes in the team at the time; Graham would not. Is there perhaps a spot for such a player on the team? Sure. We could use a guy with his talents. That's not to say the need is a huge hole.

If questioned, most knowledgeable Seahawks fans would not list receiver as one of the top couple of needs. Offensive line - at several positions - is a far bigger need. Replacing Red Bryant and keeping the defensive line as productive and dominant as it was last year is another. We are losing Rice, sure, but we did fair enough without him last year, and now Harvin is back, an explosive, game-changing player that hardly touched the ball for us. Listing him as a liability as an excuse to call for bringing in Jimmy Graham is like saying Russell Wilson might get injured, so we need to bring in a starting caliber quarterback just in case. Ridiculous.

Are we going to target such a player in the draft? I'd bet we will. I'd bet we get a good one. We tried last year with the kid from Kansas in the fourth round. Didn't work out, but that doesn't mean the next won't, and it doesn't mean that Graham would be far more productive than any rookie we bring in. In fact, it doesn't guarantee any productivity out of him at all. Among all the moves out there to make, this one is a lot more dangerous, with more cost and less upside than we want to deal with.

Throwdown

Reaction score
You really willing to sacrifice Sherman or Thomas for a guy who isnt a good or willing blocker? I'm not.

BHF

Reaction score
Teams are free to negotiate lower compensation if they desire. It doesn't necessarily have to be two firsts. Would you be willing to give up two seconds for him?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I was skeptical enough about this idea just knowing the cap space it would cost us. Then I read about two first round picks. No way. No how. No chance. For less money we keep miller, a guy who can actually block.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Steve2222":25hxeiza said:
Seahawk Sailor":25hxeiza said:

Throw in a 36 year old Payton Manning as well, didn't sign him but we tried to.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
sutz":2af6lloz said:
The idea that Schneid would give up 2 #1's and a boatload of cash for Graham makes me wondering what these guys have been smoking.

We're much better off with Graham dragging down another team, where we can periodically shut him down. ;)
See Percy Harvin lol.. Oft injured , boat load of cash, tears down the team and first round draft picks.. Deja vu.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Now Graham to Green Bay makes sense.
Finley is leaving, there is a hole their receiving TE/Big WR spot.

Forget it Seattle, listen to what the players said about him.....

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If I was the Jaguars, I would definitely try to trade for Mario Williams. They can get a proven veteran with their #1 pick, and they have the money to do it.

There, I can be a sports journalist, too.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Mortensen should look at the guys on our roster that we need to resign before he spouts off we are a team that can afford him. I rather take a huge cheap chance on Finley.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I have a much better idea. If we are willing to lose two first lets move up and grab Mike Evans who would be much cheaper and younger and is going to be an absolute star in this league. Plus he would be a better blocker as a receiver than Graham is as a tight end. I want to see Wilson throwing to Evans so bad. The word unstoppable comes to mind.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Well since we're really the only team that's been able to stop him completely.. it is enticing.. but that cost is real steep for a TE.. I don't care how dominant he has been in the passing game against everyone else but us.

I'd rather package 2 1's and trade up for a Mike Evans than 2 1's + 60M or so for Jimmy Graham.

Subzero717

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1fzh7irg said:
Even Saint's fans are calling him out for disappearing in big games

I hear you but, thats like calling out Boldim for disappearing when they played us Sunday night. I dont follow the Saints but dude was 15 in recieving and I know of 3 games (us twice and NE) he was shut down in. Not his fault. He was keyed in on and if Brees cant throw it to him then, whats he to do?

As far as being soft? After watching Crabtree through the years its hard to call anyone else soft if hes the benchmark. :)

Brahn

Reaction score
If he comes here he would be moved to WR and not line up at TE much if at all.