Jimmy Graham to seattle? ESPN believes it is possible...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Brahn":1qs28168 said:
If he comes here he would be moved to WR and not line up at TE much if at all.

Yes and no.. he'd be lined up at TE, the slot, outside, etc. That's how the Saints use him anyway.

We'd have to have a really cheap #2 and #3 though for running downs.. and then that leaves you in a hole if Graham gets hurt.

Move just doesn't make sense for the Seahawks. At all. The Packers are a much better fit for him.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2ysuki6i said:
-The Glove-":2ysuki6i said:
Even Saint's fans are calling him out for disappearing in big games

I hear you but, thats like calling out Boldim for disappearing when they played us Sunday night. I dont follow the Saints but dude was 15 in recieving and I know of 3 games (us twice and NE) he was shut down in. Not his fault. He was keyed in on and if Brees cant throw it to him then, whats he to do?

As far as being soft? After watching Crabtree through the years its hard to call anyone else soft if hes the benchmark. :)

True but they watch a lot more Jimmy Graham than we do...I just don't think he's worth it. We do need a redzone threat but we can get one in the draft. None will be on Graham's level for sure but if its gonna cost us Sherm or Thomas down the line...no thanks

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
seahawk12thman":5j9petpw said:
Steve2222":5j9petpw said:
Seahawk Sailor":5j9petpw said:
No way I see this happening. This type of move is completely against the grain of our philosophy under Pete Carroll and John Schneider. The goal is to be able to keep young, productive guys coming in via the draft, and limit the number of expensive free agents we bring in. Not only would Graham be expensive monetarily, he would be horribly expensive in terms of draft capital. Sure, both those number one picks are probably going to be very low, but they're still first round picks, still high in terms of the entire draft. There are a lot of very good players sitting in those positions, and we need picks there to pick them there. Especially with this year's draft being minus a third round pick, this hurts us, and just when we finally get ahead of the ball in terms of drafting need. We're finally at the point where we're able to sit back and draft good players where they fall, instead of drafting good players where they fall and hoping like hell they fill one of our glaring needs. There are much better options than to pull the trigger on such a high-cost, risky move.

Robert Gallery, Matt Flynn, Sidney Rice, Heath Miller, and Percy Harvin disagree with everything you just said.
Throw in a 36 year old Payton Manning as well, didn't sign him but we tried to.

Again, that would have addressed a then-glaring need for a superstar quarterback. That was pre-Russell Wilson, at a time where quarterback was a huge 800-pound-gorilla-in-the-room concern for the team. Not the same at all. We are not in rebuild mode, needing players to fill gaping holes at key positions. Back when we were, we did do that. Marshawn Lynch is another superstar we picked up, albeit for a whole lot less of a cost, that filled a glaring hole that had been there since Shaun Alexander left.

Consider spending two first round draft picks, which is excessive in and of itself, then factor in how much money he's going to take away from the cash we have to sign other key players like Sherman, Wilson, Baldwin, Tate, Bennett, and Thomas. Just a week ago, we were all a-flutter, trying to figure out how to keep all of our superstars without going under the salary cap. Now that the cap is projected to rise to just enough to make that happen, we're discussing bringing in another expensive player to undo exactly what the rise in salary cap was able to allow us to do.

This is like watching broke newlyweds with no financial experience suddenly go buck nutty on a wild Macy's spending spree because the debt ceiling on their credit card was raised five grand.

Subzero717

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1cyvgi91 said:
CALIHAWK1":1cyvgi91 said:
-The Glove-":1cyvgi91 said:
Even Saint's fans are calling him out for disappearing in big games

I hear you but, thats like calling out Boldim for disappearing when they played us Sunday night. I dont follow the Saints but dude was 15 in recieving and I know of 3 games (us twice and NE) he was shut down in. Not his fault. He was keyed in on and if Brees cant throw it to him then, whats he to do?

As far as being soft? After watching Crabtree through the years its hard to call anyone else soft if hes the benchmark. :)

True but they watch a lot more Jimmy Graham than we do...I just don't think he's worth it. We do need a redzone threat but we can get one in the draft. None will be on Graham's level for sure but if its gonna cost us Sherm or Thomas down the line...no thanks

I wasnt implying that at all. I was simply saying that those were three pretty big games and the defenses dictated his production. He managed to be 15 in recieving. Those all couldnt possibly have come against the Bucaneers.

Also to point out many members of a fanbase are also hypercritical or overrate their own players. Not that Im saying it about NO I for the most part believe the majority of their fanbase knows football but some fanbases are just, well, dumb. If they werent they wouldnt need to ne told to wear team colors or stfu when the offense is on the field.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Also to add, I'm fine rolling with Miller, Willson and McCoy/Rookie.

I don't see the need for Graham.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He does bring what this offense is missing, a big red zone threat. I heard the same complaints last year with Harvin. Everyone saying it was stupid and not worth it. Well after watching him in the Super Bowl I think people have changed their minds on Harvin. I actually agree in that I don't think it makes the most sense but a move this big, if made, I would default to the staff knowing exactly what they are doing and I would be excited about it. The idea of Harvin, Graham, Baldwin, Michaels, Lynch etc. is pretty interesting.

I doubt it happens though.....just seems like too much money to spend.

uncle fester

Reaction score
A tight end who can't block (half of his job requirement) going to a run-first offense who rarely throw to the tight end.

And all for a measly two first round picks?

Why, I see nothing wrong with Schefter's idea. Nothing at all.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
I'm Jimmahy! No thanks Jimmahy, you are puddin soft, and I am pretty sure my team hates you. Other options out there to be had.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
This is just ESPN trolling; it is the only thing that ESPN knows how to do any more.

Step 1: Have one of their talking heads give some view, often ridiculous in nature, that came 100% from their imagination and isn't based in reality
Step 2: Have all of their other talking heads (Sportscenter anchors, PTI hosts, Around the Horn hosts, etc) report on what the first talking head made up
Step 3: Hope people tune in to hear more about the fabricated story

Last week, it was Jaworski saying that he wouldn't take Manziel in the first three rounds. This week it is Graham. Next week it will be something else.

I'm surprised that anyone still watches ESPN for anything other than live sporting events for which they have no choice.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Perfect examples of why Mortensen and Schefter are reporters and not GMs. SMH at giving up 2 first for Graham. That would be a career limiting move for PC/JS. Not that Graham is not good, he's not a TE and worth that much. He is to the Saints because he's Brees' favorite WR. He doesn't block and the Seahawk receivers are counted on to block for Lynch and running game.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2d77pmc2 said:
This is just ESPN trolling; it is the only thing that ESPN knows how to do any more.

Step 1: Have one of their talking heads give some view, often ridiculous in nature, that came 100% from their imagination and isn't based in reality
Step 2: Have all of their other talking heads (Sportscenter anchors, PTI hosts, Around the Horn hosts, etc) report on what the first talking head made up
Step 3: Hope people tune in to hear more about the fabricated story

Last week, it was Jaworski saying that he wouldn't take Manziel in the first three rounds. This week it is Graham. Next week it will be something else.

I'm surprised that anyone still watches ESPN for anything other than live sporting events for which they have no choice.

THIS.

I can't see this happening. Seattle has too many player it needs to resign to huge contracts to both spend big money on ANOTHER guy AND throw away 2 1st rounders that will be needed to draft players to replace the guys you are going to lose in FA in the coming years.

Its not smart. Thats not how you remain a contender and your front office is too smart for that.

Kakaww

Reaction score
I'm pretty suspicious when it comes to tight ends playing with Brady, Brees and Manning. Great quarterbacks who pass heavily make great tight ends. Giving up two 1s and a huge contract for a guy who played with a 5000+ yd QB is a big risk. I would much rather see the Hawks pick up a receiver with their first or second pick or move up and take Evans.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
That would be too much money tied up in pass catchers with Harvin and Graham. Graham doesn't even block well. Rather than give an enormous contract to an outsider I think its time to just focus on rewarding our homegrown stars that have earned extensions. We will be ok with rookies and bargain free agents to fill the other roster holes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No way in hell. Too much money, and wrong fit............and from the way Graham quit on his team in the playoffs against us? Also the wrong make up for this team.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":1j4dc1q6 said:
sutz":1j4dc1q6 said:
The idea that Schneid would give up 2 #1's and a boatload of cash for Graham makes me wondering what these guys have been smoking.

We're much better off with Graham dragging down another team, where we can periodically shut him down. ;)
See Percy Harvin lol.. Oft injured , boat load of cash, tears down the team and first round draft picks.. Deja vu.
A post like this (^) really has me SMH. Amazing.

1. Jimmy Graham is nowhere near the field-tilting, game-changer that Percy Harvin is.
2. Pls give us a concrete example of Percy tearing down the team. I don't buy it.
3. Percy did not cost us multiple 1st round picks. He cost us a 1st and a 7th in 2013... and a 3rd this year.

lukerguy

Reaction score
This is the stupidest speculation by Schefter.
1) Contract- huge contract and we have more important people to sign.
2) Scheme fit- can't block
3) Soft- He is a soft player
4) Chemistry- not liked by our team
5) Compensation- 2 1sts? No way we're giving up 2 1sts; they're too important to our continued success.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
onanygivensunday":2p87zwtm said:
seahawk12thman":2p87zwtm said:
sutz":2p87zwtm said:
The idea that Schneid would give up 2 #1's and a boatload of cash for Graham makes me wondering what these guys have been smoking.

We're much better off with Graham dragging down another team, where we can periodically shut him down. ;)
See Percy Harvin lol.. Oft injured , boat load of cash, tears down the team and first round draft picks.. Deja vu.
A post like this (^) really has me SMH. Amazing.

1. Jimmy Graham is nowhere near the field-tilting, game-changer that Percy Harvin is.
2. Pls give us a concrete example of Percy tearing down the team. I don't buy it.
3. Percy did not cost us multiple 1st round picks. He cost us a 1st and a 7th in 2013... and a 3rd this year.

Harvin was also acquired when we were trying to replace a dismal situation at receiver. Our receivers in 2012, in case anyone has forgotten were not that great. Here's a snapshot from Seahawks.com:

Incumbent starters: TE Zach Miller, WR Sidney Rice, WR Mike Williams

Incumbent backups: WR Doug Baldwin, WR Ben Obomanu, WR Golden Tate, WR Deon Butler, WR Ricardo Lockette, TE Cameron Morrah, TE Anthony McCoy

On injured reserve at the end of last season: WR Kris Durham (eight games), Rice (five games), Williams (two games)

Veteran acquired in a trade: TE Kellen Winslow

Veterans signed in free agency: WR Charly Martin, WR Cameron Kenney

Rookie free agents: WR Jermaine Kearse, WR Phil Bates, WR Lavasier Tuinei, TE Sean McGrath

The "Outlook" portion of that article is even more stunning in light of what we know now about how well they performed that year:

Outlook: With the return of Rice and the addition of Winslow, the passing game should be in good hands. But their practice reps will need to be monitored to make sure they’re ready when needed most – on game days. Their presence also should make it possible for Baldwin to be even more productive from the slot. But the offense also needs Tate and Durham to play to their potential, more consistency from Lockette and a return to form by Miller – who caught 66 and 60 passes for the Raiders in 2009 and 2010.

So essentially, we were coming off a year where we were banking on an on-again-off-again-injured Sidney Rice, and Kellen Winslow (how'd that work out?) to be out top guys. Compared to this year, where we have Harvin back and healthy, Baldwin coming off a solid year, Tate improving year after year, Kearse a whole lot better than expected, plus any stud draft picks to compete with Lockette, I'd say we're a whole lot better than we were when we picked up Harvin.