Joey Bosa Holding Out

drrew

Reaction score
Turns out that San Diego is asking Bosa to take the worst #3 overall contract since the rookie slotting system was put in place in 2012.

You can read details here: http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/ ... g-to-hoyle

The TLDR version is that since 2012, every player drafted in the top 5 either got no offset language or they got their full bonus year one. San Diego is not offering either of those, and is trying to paint Bosa and his agent as the bad guy when in reality this is the Spanos continuing to be the cheapest ownership group in the league.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's the price for being drafted high, you go to either a shit team, or shit management.

Even so, Bosa is placing his health at risk, because almost every player who holds out gets injured somehow.

His parents need to stop pretending to being the Mannings, and tell their son to just sign and get on with his career. Spanos will not buckle, and the longer Joey holds out, the worse it will be for him.

Players need to stop villianizing the owners, and realize that DeMaurice Smith did a crap job on their agreement. There is only so much pie available for the players on each team, and if one player gets paid more, then the another, or other players, have to get paid less.

Unfortunately, we SEahawks fans have seen that in action with losers like Percy Harvin, who not only screwed his fellow players, but screwed Seattle fans by not living up to his contract.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
From what I've read (and I might be misunderstanding or misremembering) the offset language as Bosa wants it is usually only that way for Top 5 picks. Now, maybe that makes him "deserving" of it but it hardly makes it some moral high ground he should be standing on. I can kind of see being annoyed at slow rolling the bonus money but ultimtaely you slow roll yourself by not signing so while potentially douchey on the Chargers' part, hardly seems like a hill worth dying on.

mrt144

Reaction score
Will the Chargers' miserliness ever yield dividends?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Everyone commenting on him being spoiled or stupid is stuck in the 80s. He's being offered the worst ever 3rd round pick contract in the slotting era, he has every right to hold out. Yeah these guys make more money than us, get over it.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Having a right to and being spoile or stupid are not mutually exclusive.

chris98251

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":12qyi931 said:
Everyone commenting on him being spoiled or stupid is stuck in the 80s. He's being offered the worst ever 3rd round pick contract in the slotting era, he has every right to hold out. Yeah these guys make more money than us, get over it.

He has no right, he is offered a job and the employer is being kind enough to negotiate with him, if he don't like it don't play.

Not a whole lot different then having a privilege anywhere else, he has a skill set, great, but the next guy in line isn't that far off and may be less a pain in the ass.

Owners could go to a flat scale for players and positions regardless of where your drafted and base it on years of experience. See how much they make then.

This entitlement generation needs a wake up call.

On the other side of the coin I know San Diego is low balling him, he really needs to get his agent to start pushing for a trade of his rights and hold San Diego's feet to the fire.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
chris98251":2ddqs6nh said:
TheRealDTM":2ddqs6nh said:

He has no right, he is offered a job and the employer is being kind enough to negotiate with him, if he don't like it don't play.

Not a whole lot different then having a privilege anywhere else, he has a skill set, great, but the next guy in line isn't that far off and may be less a pain in the ass.

Owners could go to a flat scale for players and positions regardless of where your drafted and base it on years of experience. See how much they make then.

On the other side of the coin I know San Diego is low balling him, he really needs to get his agent to start pushing for a trade of his rights and hold San Diego's feet to the fire.

Its not even the same as normal employment, he isn't free to go work somewhere else if he isn't happy with his contract, and again he's being offered the worst 3rd overall contract in the slotting era, why take him 3rd if you don't think he's that good or aren't willing to work out an at least average contract for a 3rd overall pick. This has nothing to do with the entitlement generation, if you really want to get into that argument lets talk about how baby boomers have contributed next to nothing to this country and have piggy backed to prosperity off the great generation and are now hording wealth and not retiring.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
chris98251":3knwjiza said:

This is an exceedingly bad argument.

Players come into a league that puts anti-competitive practices in place so that players can't sell their labor for what people will pay for it. Bosa had to come into the league a) with his rights granted to one specific team and b) under the restrictions of a salary cap AND a rookie scale.

In a just world, Bosa would be able to sell his labor to whoever would pay for it at top dollar. That's how a fair market works. It's not entitlement at all to want to be able to simply sell your labor at a price that employers will pay.

The people who are entitled are NFL owners, who believe that they should be able to control the prices at which players can sell their labor so much so that they can dictate who you can sell your labor to and at what narrow price when you decide to do it!

The only people who need a wakeup call are people who make poorly-considered statements that rag on "entitlement generations" while advocating for a system that entitles those who think they have some sort of inherent right to making as much money as possible off of someone else's hard work.

Beyond that, the player has a right to do whatever they want to, whether you like how they exercise that right or not.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
mrt144":5u5srmm9 said:
Will the Chargers' miserliness ever yield dividends?

$64,000 question right there. I can't imagine anyone answering yes.

My takeaway is the Chargers are the complete antithesis of the Paul Allen, Pete Carroll-run Seahawks.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
If anyone is familiar with the Charger's ownership, they are complete idiots who try to screw over players whenever possible. Bosa is getting heat for not signing a horrible contract that has no precedent. Ultimately both he and the team lose out but the blame falls squarely with the front office.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
San Diego ownership is the armpit of the NFL and Cleveland is the hair in said armpit. One is annoying and mostly useless the other is totally useless and is shaved off by most women that aren't 20

kearly

Reaction score
After hearing more I feel bad for Bosa, but what can he do? If he were to refuse signing and enter the 2017 draft, it's very unlikely he'd get drafted in the top 3 after taking a year off from football (not to mention, teams would be concerned about him pulling this kind of stunt over relatively minor contract disagreements). San Diego would get their 3rd overall pick back (if my understanding is correct) and they could theoretically benefit from the situation. Meanwhile, if Bosa gets drafted later than 3rd pick (very likely), he'd end up losing money directly on his rookie deal, plus he'd enter free agency a year later than normal which could easily cost him millions.

There's a reason this has never happened before, the player would have to be insane to try it, and would almost certainly take a big loss in the process.

San Diego are being cheapskates to be sure, but they are also aware of the fact that leverage is clearly on their side. Even though it is true that Bosa is getting a raw deal, in the big picture of his career earnings it's an insignificant slight. If Bosa does end up holding out into the season he should fire his agent afterwards for giving him terrible advice.

mrt144

Reaction score
I'm fine with Bosa being a martyr for future SD draft picks to not take shit from SD.

mikeak

Reaction score
Honestly - I have been sitting around waiting for a lawsuit against the NFL and the NFLPA for bad faith negotiations.

They absolutely SCREWED the incoming rookies. Now one can say the system needed fixing but they locked in salaries AND they locked in that incoming rookies can't get a new contract for 3 years. I have been thinking that a lawsuit would come from someone that was drafted late, became a superstar and then ended his career due to injury BEFORE being able to cash in. I figured that person would have a great case. The case is simply based on bad faith negotiations for a group of players that the NFLPA should be representing as they could not represent themselves (they were in College then not in the NFL). The players that were in the NFLPA agreed to something that funneled more money to themselves by giving away rights for those at the time outside of the NFLPA but future members.....

If Bosa goes unsigned this year then I would expect that he is the lawsuit that tries to get the house of card to come down

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I clicked on the thread to post exactly that. I bet he is setting up for a lawsuit against the NFL and the NFLPA if the Chargers don't bend. I think he has an excellent case. Nice rundown MikeAK

soohawk

Reaction score
he passed a date recently that he needed to be signed by in order to be traded this season. his options now are sign this season to play for the chargers or wait to go back in the draft. their is no door #3 now unfortunately

lock both parties in a room until they figure it out

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikeak":osejm80m said:
Honestly - I have been sitting around waiting for a lawsuit against the NFL and the NFLPA for bad faith negotiations.

They absolutely SCREWED the incoming rookies. Now one can say the system needed fixing but they locked in salaries AND they locked in that incoming rookies can't get a new contract for 3 years. I have been thinking that a lawsuit would come from someone that was drafted late, became a superstar and then ended his career due to injury BEFORE being able to cash in. I figured that person would have a great case. The case is simply based on bad faith negotiations for a group of players that the NFLPA should be representing as they could not represent themselves (they were in College then not in the NFL). The players that were in the NFLPA agreed to something that funneled more money to themselves by giving away rights for those at the time outside of the NFLPA but future members.....

If Bosa goes unsigned this year then I would expect that he is the lawsuit that tries to get the house of card to come down

Please. Those rookie deals were outrageous before they moved to the scale. The NBA has the same system. No rookie should make Sam Bradford or Aaron Curry money.

The CBA is pretty awful for the players as a whole, but they got the rookie scale right.

What the Chargers are doing goes against that scale.

mikeak

Reaction score
I did note that the situation needed a fix BUT the players in the union went to far and they did it by moving money from a group without a voice to themselves. They directly benefited from the agreement. That is he problem. Furthermore they didn't need to add that you can't renegotiate for 3-4 years.

Bosa can argue that his negotiation rights are limited by the CBA and that this is related to why he can't reach a deal because all his leverage (salary up / down) was taken away. Sure lawyers smarter than me can add to that :)

Laloosh

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/770334666234658816[/tweet]