John Schneider is hurting our team.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
People freaking out about wanting O-line seem to be forgetting that we picked up a starting LT and RG in free agency.

mikeak

Reaction score
Archer":1c77mx4d said:
People freaking out about wanting O-line seem to be forgetting that we picked up a starting LT and RG in free agency.

Yes on 1 year deals

Seymour

Reaction score
Archer":o3k9e27r said:

Forgetting?? LMAO. You use the "starting" word pretty freely. Lowly Jags busted up castaways are not typically going to project as starters anywhere else....besides where Tom Cable is.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seymour":mib04tir said:
Archer":mib04tir said:

Forgetting?? LMAO. You use the "starting" word pretty freely. Lowly Jags busted up castaways are not typically going to project as starters anywhere else....besides where Tom Cable is.

A former 2nd overall pick has as much chance panning out as any rookie in this class.

OP and guys like TwistedHusky and Nash are acting like we've passed on Walter Jones twice this year.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Seymour":12l9xc79 said:
Archer":12l9xc79 said:

Joeckel was a higher prospect than any of these guys coming out this year, if he can bust any of those guys can bust so you don't just draft oline for the sake of adding oline, they have to believe they're going to translate into players and that they are going to be better than what else they can get for those picks. It sounds like they had Bolles on their radar, he was gone and they didn't seem stressed about losing Ram or Cam or they'd have made that pick at 26 or 31, my guess is they don't see either as a serious upgrade on what they have or they think they can get similar attributes out of guys later without losing much. That tells me these picks coming up are db's most likely as there was a lot of depth there that allowed them to trade back without worry. There was little to no depth at oline so if that was the goal they'd have moved on it. I think people hoping oline may be disappointed early, but we should see some in the 3rd, guys like Moton and Asiata.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I get alot of the frustration with the team and I relate to the feeling that we are on the decline.

That being said, I have no issues with the moves PC/JS made today. The big thing is they have to nail the picks. We can't have a Vannett/Prosise/Odiambo type run of picks this year. I think JS set the board up right, now he just needs to execute the moves right. I think, when it's all said and done, we pick 3 times in the 2nd today and come away with 4 or 5 players tonight. There are a lot of interesting names on the board too and reason to be optimistic.

I understand why fans are pissed about the OL, but we have drafted more OL than any other position. Just drafting a position doesn't automatically make things better. I'm not saying everything is great and perfect, but I do like where we sit going into tonight. It's a little early to be jumping ship. If anything I have no real clue where Seattle is going tonight which at least makes it exciting. :snack:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
How can you not love what Pete and John have done, not only this offseason but since they’ve been here. From a risk reward standpoint, the reason Belichick and the Patriots are perennial contenders is that they operate under a risk neutral agenda when it comes to making personnel decision, and their personnel moves are mostly above the line (the expected return outweighs the risk) from a statistical risk reward perspective. The typical trend over the last 20 or so seasons is for rebuilding teams to adopt a risk seeking strategy while the contenders are risk averse. All of the strategies can be effect as long as a team enters into enough transactions (diversification) and makes above the line moves. The problem with the risk seekers and risk averse is that their risk behavior often pulls them into below the line decisions. A team will pass up a statistically sound transaction simply because it is not in-line with their risk behavior while entering into a below the line transaction that agrees with their risk behavior. Good GMs (Belichick, JS, and after yesterday John Lynch) take advantage of other GMs risk behavior. Both moves back in the first round, from a purely statistical standpoint, were above the line moves. The Joeckel signing, although the dollar value seemed a little high, was an above the line move. The team risked less than they would have had they drafted a tackle in the 1st round and the expected return is about the same.
I don’t think any of the OL off the board in the 1st round are good decisions. Investing first round draft capital plus cap space on a lineman with a moderate to low ceiling and a bust floor seems to be a high risk low reward proposition (for those of you having trouble following, that means it’s a bad idea). Chasing after need with a below the line risk reward decision is best left to the Browns and Lions. I’m also not sold on any of the OL projected to go early 2nd. It’s not that I think our current OL is good enough, I just don’t think any of the round 1 and 2 options are enough of an upgrade to justify using the draft capital. The only player I was disappointed to miss out on at 26 was Takk. I saw him as a perfect Irvin replacement and potential long term leo option. The motor and intensity with the athleticism was hard to see go to Atlanta. My hope is that PCJS have their eye on Willis. My second round wish list in order, Willis, Melifonwu, Bowser, Baker, King, Wormley. I would have been happy with 2 of the above at pick 26, how could I not love getting one of them 8 picks later. Really looking forward to what PCJS do tonight.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
^^^^ Enjoyed reading this analysis. Superb first post :2thumbs:

nash72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1gfhpzz6 said:
Seymour":1gfhpzz6 said:
Archer":1gfhpzz6 said:

A former 2nd overall pick has as much chance panning out as any rookie in this class.

OP and guys like TwistedHusky and Nash are acting like we've passed on Walter Jones twice this year.

Already said I realize there are no Walter Jones out there, but with our starting left tackle position slated to be either Fant or Jokel, you have to try something. With that being said, i'd rather they chose the highest names on the list in doing so.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
nash72":3ou170su said:
Our line is so abysmal though, you have to try. That's why it was hard to see us pass up on Ramczyk. Robinson and Lamp are still there and I think we have to (HAVE TO) take at least one of them. Surely they will be better than what we have.

Our line is so abysmal though, you have to try.

Gil Brandt, an actual NFL personnel guy said this about the OL...

"In fact, longtime NFL exec Gil Brandt, who now works for SiriusXM NFL Radio, Tweeted Friday that “while there’s depth, I’m not sure I’ve seen a poorer collection of offensive linemen in one draft.”

And FFS man.. WE HAVE TRIED TO FIX THE LINE. They just signed two vets this offseason. They went balls out for TJ Lang who changed his mind in the 11th hour with his hometown team blowing our offer out of the water. They signed two vets last offseason. They spent a first round pick on an OL last season and drafted another OL in the 3rd and 6th rounds.. They drafted two guards the year before. They spent a high second round pick on an OL the year before that.

Have many of these guys panned out? No. But they are indeed trying to solve the issue. Acting like year in and year out they are not spending any money or draft capital on addressing the line is absolutely stupid.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1z64ng8i said:
nash72":1z64ng8i said:
Our line is so abysmal though, you have to try. That's why it was hard to see us pass up on Ramczyk. Robinson and Lamp are still there and I think we have to (HAVE TO) take at least one of them. Surely they will be better than what we have.

"In fact, longtime NFL exec Gil Brandt, who now works for SiriusXM NFL Radio, Tweeted Friday that “while there’s depth, I’m not sure I’ve seen a poorer collection of offensive linemen in one draft.”

And FFS man.. WE HAVE TRIED TO FIX THE LINE. They just signed two vets this offseason. They went balls out for TJ Lang who changed his mind in the 11th hour with his hometown team blowing our offer out of the water. They signed two vets last offseason. They spent a first round pick on an OL last season and drafted another OL in the 3rd and 6th rounds.. They drafted two guards the year before. They spent a high second round pick on an OL the year before that.

Have many of these guys panned out? No. But they are indeed trying to solve the issue. Acting like year in and year out they are not spending any money or draft capital on addressing the line is absolutely stupid.

They're trying to fix the line like I try to do the dishes - the effort is there but my wife still thinks my output is...lacking.

nash72

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2r79mt4m said:

They signed a couple of broken down lineman in free agency that werent worth a damn to begin with. Thats not even a band aid. Thats throwing more gravel on the road in front of Russell Wilson as he's trying to ride a skateboard. It doesnt matter at this point who or what is out there in the draft at Oline, this team needs to at least sign somebody to give them a shot and hopefully they pan out. Might as well try with the guys that have been graded the highest. Also, you mention how much the FO has been trying to fix the problem, but are still unable to do so. At what point does somebody start to lay blame on them? Maybe its time to bring in somebody with some competence that can actually fix our biggest issue.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
nash72":3vb2ouw7 said:
Hasselbeck":3vb2ouw7 said:
Seymour":3vb2ouw7 said:
Archer":3vb2ouw7 said:

Already said I realize there are no Walter Jones out there, but with our starting left tackle position slated to be either Fant or Jokel, you have to try something. With that being said, i'd rather they chose the highest names on the list in doing so.

Picking the highest name on the list is NOT the way to draft. Plus who's list are you referring to? If someone was on there list then they probably would have made a move. Just because some idiot "pundit" says so and so is great does not make it true. JS & Pete's list also includes things such as team fit. Also maybe they gleaned things in an interview with someone that these draft guru's and regular people are not privy to. Do you ever wonder why some guys fall way down in the draft passing many teams when some say they are a top ten pick? Are all those teams dummy's? Does anyone feel that JS & Pete are totally incompetent at the draft process or maybe they have there plan and are sticking to it?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
nash72":3ef879nv said:
They signed a couple of broken down lineman in free agency that werent worth a damn to begin with. Thats not even a band aid. Thats throwing more gravel on the road in front of Russell Wilson as he's trying to ride a skateboard. It doesnt matter at this point who or what is out there in the draft at Oline, this team needs to at least sign somebody to give them a shot and hopefully they pan out. Might as well try with the guys that have been graded the highest. Also, you mention how much the FO has been trying to fix the problem, but are still unable to do so. At what point does somebody start to lay blame on them? Maybe its time to bring in somebody with some competence that can actually fix our biggest issue.

Have you been living under a rock the last 5 years? What OL did they miss on .. WITH OUR CAP ROOM and OUR DRAFT POSITION that would have made this line what you wish it would be?

Bitonio is the only guy I think we missed out on. The rest, we either couldn't afford or didn't have the draft capital to move up and get.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Picking the highest name on the list is NOT the way to draft. Plus who's list are you referring to? If someone was on there list then they probably would have made a move. Just because some idiot "pundit" says so and so is great does not make it true. JS & Pete's list also includes things such as team fit. Also maybe they gleaned things in an interview with someone that these draft guru's and regular people are not privy to. Do you ever wonder why some guys fall way down in the draft passing many teams when some say they are a top ten pick? Are all those teams dummy's? Does anyone feel that JS & Pete are totally incompetent at the draft process or maybe they have there plan and are sticking to it?

I believe the lists being referred to are the same ones that said Russel Wilson was a horrible pick in the third and Brady Quinn was a first round talent. That Mel Kiper, like John Denver, is full of...
I think most on here agree that the OL is a weakness. Some of us just recognize that throwing high end draft capital at moderate talent that will at best result in minimal improvement is a poor way to sustain a contender. I'm not convinced Bolles will even be capable of lining up facing the right direction. Getting him to comprehend and execute an NFL playbook seems like a stretch. Niether Bolles or Ram would have been considered first round talent last year, why should they be considered first round talent in a deep draft?

Boycie

Reaction score
mikeak":31i2ivv0 said:
Archer":31i2ivv0 said:

Yes on 1 year deals

So? If they walk and sign elsewhere, we get a comp pick don't we?

Or we sign them to an extension if they light it up.

Latest posts