Jordan Simmons making first NFL start today

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jville":3ec6lgx9 said:
I wanted to come back to this topic again this morning to acknowledge a couple of points.

The play calling leaned on the running game 57% of the time. That was most helpful for a newbie to start his first game. Unlike the passing game, exchange locations with running backs and read option decision locations with quarterbacks are very predictable and repeatable. They can be rehearsed with little in the way of leverage surprises for a blocking lineman. Emphasizing a physical running game helped limit a formidable pass rush from laying their ears back and confusing the youngster with his first look at a heavy dose of exotic pass rushes. All that plus some help from veterans assisting him with pass blocking made possible a successful first game experience for Jordan. The week 10 game plan, play calling and execution was prototypical for how to break in a new lineman. I think it a useful demonstration of how they do things right going forward.

Although these underlying insights have been largely ignored, this forum is a good place to acknowledge details that the media at large doesn't have the time or inclination to review.

These are the best of times ........ Go Hawks!

That's what makes this place the best. Knowledgable and insightful posters with unique viewpoints and a real enthusiasm for this team.

Most of the media, it's just a job. That's why media members such as Brock Huard and Mike Sando are so important.

Pete also said that Jordan was highly recruited coming out of high school, and that he chose USC. But he dealt with some injuries, and on a fairly talented team, it was hard to get back on the field. So they had him play some defense,

I'm thinking playing some defense may have helped him understand the offensive side of the line a little bit better.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Seymour":2unqbt5i said:
Another OL poor fit draft pick.....shocking. :roll: Other teams castaways are still better than our best efforts at drafting the oline group.
Why the negative crap in a thread complimenting a guy that played over his head? The thread is about Simmons, not our success or failure at OL drafting.

mrt144

Reaction score
ivotuk":sm2156k8 said:
Jville":sm2156k8 said:
I wanted to come back to this topic again this morning to acknowledge a couple of points.

The play calling leaned on the running game 57% of the time. That was most helpful for a newbie to start his first game. Unlike the passing game, exchange locations with running backs and read option decision locations with quarterbacks are very predictable and repeatable. They can be rehearsed with little in the way of leverage surprises for a blocking lineman. Emphasizing a physical running game helped limit a formidable pass rush from laying their ears back and confusing the youngster with his first look at a heavy dose of exotic pass rushes. All that plus some help from veterans assisting him with pass blocking made possible a successful first game experience for Jordan. The week 10 game plan, play calling and execution was prototypical for how to break in a new lineman. I think it a useful demonstration of how they do things right going forward.

Although these underlying insights have been largely ignored, this forum is a good place to acknowledge details that the media at large doesn't have the time or inclination to review.

These are the best of times ........ Go Hawks!

That's what makes this place the best. Knowledgable and insightful posters with unique viewpoints and a real enthusiasm for this team.

Most of the media, it's just a job. That's why media members such as Brock Huard and Mike Sando are so important.

Pete also said that Jordan was highly recruited coming out of high school, and that he chose USC. But he dealt with some injuries, and on a fairly talented team, it was hard to get back on the field. So they had him play some defense,

I'm thinking playing some defense may have helped him understand the offensive side of the line a little bit better.

I wish this worked for coaching as well but alas.