JSN

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. You gotta' earn that trust, and make the most of your opportunities. I suspect JSN does all of that. And then some.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JSN is still contributing on plays where he doesn't get the ball. If he gets wide open on a route then the defense has to react to that. We do have a lot of weapons right now and that's why you see DK getting open for catches instead of everything always being contested in his direction.

Geno, our coaching staff, and backup OL should get tons of credit for how we have weathered so many OL injuries. However, having this many weapons on offense is doing a lot of heavy lifting. Defenses can't just bracket our best player and Geno usually has an outlet if he needs to get rid of the football. DK and Lockett force the opposing secondary to play deep, while JSN runs open in the middle of the field. Walker's patience in the running game allows him to turn nothing into something pretty often and has been huge. Our TEs excelling as both blockers and catchers keeps the defense off balance.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
I don't mind the low production. That will come. What really does concern me is how many horribly looking throws we've seen going his way. Two weeks ago, on an out inside the redzone, the CB jumped his route for what should have been a pick 6. This week, Geno threw it right in the chest of a defender standing on front of JSN. I'm not in the WR or QB rooms, so I'm not sure if the issue is timing, chemistry, slow routes, televised routes, or bad throws (e.g. late throws) or what. But, something is amiss.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't mind the low production. That will come. What really does concern me is how many horribly looking throws we've seen going his way. Two weeks ago, on an out inside the redzone, the CB jumped his route for what should have been a pick 6. This week, Geno threw it right in the chest of a defender standing on front of JSN. I'm not in the WR or QB rooms, so I'm not sure if the issue is timing, chemistry, slow routes, televised routes, or bad throws (e.g. late throws) or what. But, something is amiss.

It's all of it.

WR is not an easy position to come into the league and ball out. It takes time to learn route trees, where Geno wants you to sit down, or ad lib, blocking schemes, chemistry for Geno to trust you like he does Lockett and DK when the play breaks down.

JSN is one of the most polished rookies I've ever seen, so I think as these games go along we'll see him become more and more integral in the offense. Just takes time.

hoxrox

Reaction score
We have dynamic TE group. Fant had a great day yesterday. DK was wide open a couple of times. Defenses need to pick their poison.

JSN will get his. Bubble screens and catches near the LOS might not be the best way to use him though. Waldron needs to rewatch that rose bowl game to see how to use his skillset effectively.

sutz

Reaction score
One part of it, I think, is that JSN still needs to learn to come back to the ball and not wait for it. DBs will jump in front of him when he doesn't. That'll come.

knownone

Reaction score
This is very misleading.

I assume the creator wants to imply that JSN is wide open and not getting targeted. But the stat he chose only shows JSN's separation when Geno does target him. And given the sample size is 14, a single blown coverage skews things dramatically. That's also why all of the receivers in the 4+ range have fewer than 15 targets.

Torc

Reaction score
JSN's snap count was way down on Sunday - he was in on 44% of the snaps compared to 59/56 in weeks one and two.

Conversely, Parkinson was in on 71% of the snaps in week 3, Fant 63%.

Waldron was using more 2 TE sets to protect Geno with all the backup OL in, and the slot receiver was the odd man out.

GGotskill

Reaction score
This is very misleading.

I assume the creator wants to imply that JSN is wide open and not getting targeted. But the stat he chose only shows JSN's separation when Geno does target him. And given the sample size is 14, a single blown coverage skews things dramatically. That's also why all of the receivers in the 4+ range have fewer than 15 targets.

I don't think there is any implications about JSN specifically, it was just a set of data points about the NFL as a whole.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Looks like JSN isn't liking not getting targets.

In this video, you can see Geno being a leader talking to JSN.

There are 2 things to like about this clip. One is Geno's leadership, and the other is JSN's competitive nature. After watching that, I hope the game against the Giants turns into the JSN show.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I’m not seeing it yet. I usually focus on one group. I’m not a coach. I have noticed him being open on some plays, but it seems as a distraction, rather than the play.

Mick063

Reaction score
JSN's snap count was way down on Sunday - he was in on 44% of the snaps compared to 59/56 in weeks one and two.

Conversely, Parkinson was in on 71% of the snaps in week 3, Fant 63%.

Waldron was using more 2 TE sets to protect Geno with all the backup OL in, and the slot receiver was the odd man out.
Yep. For the first half at least.

When you are sitting on a 37-20 lead, you are thinking to run clock. Two tight ends is also a good run formation (as well as pass protect). When Seattle is in a four-minute offense, trying to salt the game away, the tight ends are going to get a lot of play. Now....put them in the situation they were in with the Rams, down big in the second half, and JSN is going to be in on most downs and see a lot more targets.

hangumhi

Reaction score
I hope my post didn’t come off as negative. JSN is incredible. He’s getting open…

I just think Geno isn’t quite used to targeting the slot so much…and we all know why. Additionally, DK and Tyler are machines….I too would be tempted to throw to a 6’4” bodybuilder as it’s hard to overlook.

It takes time. There’s simply a lot of options on Offense. It’s a “problem” you’ve got to love to have!
Agree. Geno needs to use DK as a decoy to open the middle of the field, give a pump fake then target JSN in the middle. Geno is seeing this a bit with TEs naturally but he needs to practice this more and he'll see JSN open a lot.