Just a curious ?? would we ever wear our whites at home ?

Tical21

Reaction score
The correct tradition is for the home team to always wear white, allowing the road team to show their colors. Dunno when football jacked it all up.

253hawk

Reaction score
The only time we would ever wear whites at home is if C-Link was hosting the SB and we were the designated 'away' team since the AFC and NFC switch off every season.

Unless, of course, the equipment manager chooses for us to wear white while making the uniform schedule for some reason.

two dog

Reaction score
Tical21":1kjxtt8d said:
The correct tradition is for the home team to always wear white, allowing the road team to show their colors. Dunno when football jacked it all up.

The tradition of the home team wearing colors goes back to the 1950's at least.
The notable exception were the Cleveland Browns. Look at the old films and the
Browns were wearing white seemingly in every game, both at home and on the
road.

This was a conscious decision on the part of Browns management. They said at
the time they wanted to give their fans a chance to see all the other teams colors.

This was at a time though when there were, what, a dozen or so teams in the league?
Long time gone and far away.

At one point the Cowboys were a little bit the same, white everywhere.
I used to love it when teams forced the 'pokes to wear their dark jerseys
on the road.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Tical21":j9y0jb8p said:

I'm guessing this is why NBA does it. I personally don't like whites for NFL but do for NBA. Probably just a thing, I started watching sports in 86.

Cartire

Reaction score
Tical21":2sc8zksm said:

I know other sports do that, like the MLB and the NBA (for the most part). But I think NFL has done it the oppisite way for a long time. Might also trace back to NFL teams not having any white uniforms for a long time. So teams got used to playing in their colors at their home.