Just a reminder, in 2005…

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
We lost the first game In Jacksonville in a very disheartening manner. Came back to go 13-3 with one loss in OT and the other in GB after resting starters.
Oof, I remember that one. Made us wear our dark unis and you could see the toll it took on the players to soak up that heat. Also, IIRC, it was the first time in the NFL that the kicker and returner had the same name, Josh Scobee vs Josh Scobey.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
We lost the first game In Jacksonville in a very disheartening manner. Came back to go 13-3 with one loss in OT and the other in GB after resting starters.
You know that was an established veteran HOF offensive line with a strong proven run game.

I think the two teams 2005 and 2023 are vastly different…

keasley45

Reaction score
Oof, I remember that one. Made us wear our dark unis and you could see the toll it took on the players to soak up that heat. Also, IIRC, it was the first time in the NFL that the kicker and returner had the same name, Josh Scobee vs Josh Scobey.
Yup

seabowl

Reaction score
I remember that game as well. If I’m not mistaken, it was incredibly hot and the sprinkler system accidentally went off in that game.

Last edited:

rjdriver

Reaction score
We had five turnovers that game, that's what did it. Discounting the garbage ZC run, they had more turnovers than the current Seahawks had second half yards.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Of course. The '05 squad was a NFC West Championship, NFC Championship, and a SB team. By default, the '05 squad is better.

The good news for the '23 Seahawks, is they can write their story from this point on. Past be damned.
I interpret this as you somehow thinking our defensive woes last week were some type of one-off/anomaly, instead of a long standing norm. I don't really understand how that is even possible for anyone who has been watching this team for at least the last couple of seasons.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
No problem.

I get what some are saying, about the trend being the same over the past few years. I get it. I understand whats being said. I just don't agree.

The team under Russ stagnated. Defenses could figure Russ out. PC probably saw the writing on the wall in late '20 with Russ but the pieces for a trade didn't come together until last year.

This is a new team under Geno. Will it be the same old, same old. It could be. I'm just not ready to give up and go back to the tired old cliches of PC being done, over the hill, or refusing to adjust. He's the same guy who coached a 7-9 team into the playoffs and knocked off the defending SB champs. The same guy who coached Seattle to two straight NFCGC, two straight SB appearances. He also got Seattle into the playoffs with Mr. Limited a few years too.

I'm just not ready to throw in the towel after a poor showing. I will agree that the Oline is nowhere near the quality of the '05 line. On that, I agree. I think this team has something to prove, and could surprise people. No one saw playoffs last year, and look what happened.

PC may be old. But when all is said and done, he's a good ball coach. It's pretty simple, at least for me it is.

keasley45

Reaction score
No problem.

I get what some are saying, about the trend being the same over the past few years. I get it. I understand whats being said. I just don't agree.

The team under Russ stagnated. Defenses could figure Russ out. PC probably saw the writing on the wall in late '20 with Russ but the pieces for a trade didn't come together until last year.

This is a new team under Geno. Will it be the same old, same old. It could be. I'm just not ready to give up and go back to the tired old cliches of PC being done, over the hill, or refusing to adjust. He's the same guy who coached a 7-9 team into the playoffs and knocked off the defending SB champs. The same guy who coached Seattle to two straight NFCGC, two straight SB appearances. He also got Seattle into the playoffs with Mr. Limited a few years too.

I'm just not ready to throw in the towel after a poor showing. I will agree that the Oline is nowhere near the quality of the '05 line. On that, I agree. I think this team has something to prove, and could surprise people. No one saw playoffs last year, and look what happened.

PC may be old. But when all is said and done, he's a good ball coach. It's pretty simple, at least for me it is.
Agree 100% . Salk has a nice write-up on the Pete backlash post game 1.

This team andbthe way its coached is different. The way they draft is different. The way they practice is different. And their defense has always been different, whether in success or failure.

And it's because of how this team is built that you can't make the same type of blanket assessments based on a performance like Sundays than you might for another team.

The team can absolutely improve (injuries aside) and be as good as was billed 7 days ago.

The circumstances are bit the same as the last 5 years.

Will they realize their potential? Maybe. Maybe not. But the calls for firings and dismantling of the team is based more in bias than it is rational thought.

It's week 1. And the team is different.

keasley45

Reaction score
You know that was an established veteran HOF offensive line with a strong proven run game.

You do know that the year prior, that team with its 'superior everything ' was 9-7 and completely manhandled by the Rams, right?

They weren't thought to be world beaters when the season started.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Well, if we're 'Cherry Pickin', Pete's 2013 team wound up having a waaaay more dominating Defense than Holmgren's 2005 Defense; A Defense that held a prolific Peyton Manning to 8 'Garbage Time' points. lol

OP
OP
evergreen

evergreen

Reaction score
I’m not trying to say we’re 2005 all over again just pointing out the way it felt to lose those two openers. The 2005 team wasn’t all world yet. 2004 was a huge disappointment. 2003 was on! They were four time outs against Baltimore and the ref interference in the endzone against St. Louis from 12-4 and not going to GB. We don’t know for sure just what 2023 is yet, even if we are 3-7 in our last 10 games.

Latest posts