Justin Fields a Steeler!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Russ has a couple bad games and he could find himself on the bench quicker in Shitsburgh than in Denver...Fields may suck but Russ is on more of a downward trajectory than a Boeing max airplane...at least Fields could maybe improve.
RW at vet min can be cut, traded or benched at any time during season.
Same for JFs as they haven't picked up that expensive 5th year option yet.
They can cut or trade him off and it just cost the 6th round pick is all.

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I agree. This is a good deal for Fields. Russ will be age 36 this year, and he’s playing on a 1-yr. contract.
I expect Russ's tenure as Steelers starter to be brief. Fields is the more talented overall of the two. Pitt is a good team and well coached so he won't have to bear the brunt of blame for lack of supporting cast as he did in Chicago.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
RW at vet min can be cut, traded or benched at any time during season.
Same for JFs they haven't picked up that expensive 5th year option yet.
They can cut or trade him off and it just cost the 6th round pick is all.
Exactly. So why not kick the tires on him when Tomlin gets tired of Russ missing his first second and third reads and then running around in a couple circles and taking a sack??? Or just watching moonball down the sideline?? Pat Freirmuth gonna hate his life next year...Fields at least has at least minimal potential upside.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If I'm a Steelers fan, I'm liking these latest two developments. Although I'm not optimistic that Russell will have any better success in Pittsburgh than he had in Denver, it's still a very low risk, high reward venture. Same with Justin Fields, except that he's much younger and with a higher ceiling. If Russell ain't cutting it, give Fields a shot.

Although I wouldn't want to put any money on it, the moves has a reasonable potential to get them over the hump and into a SB contending class within a year or two.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The Steelers are a reality show this year. They now have an old, slow QB that relies on his legs and a younger version of that same QB. They have a young diva WR (Pickens) that will have a melt down the first time that either QB misses him being wide open.

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I’d have rather traded a conditional 6th for fields than trade back two of our picks for Howell like we did.
Fields has had three seasons as a starter compared to Howell's one. Howell has much higher upside than Fields. Fields contract also ends after this season so we would have to decide then whether to pay him. With Howell he can have a year under Geno and if he looks good we can have him as a cheap starter in 2025 before deciding if he is out QBOTF. On top of that Fields takes up more draft capital than Howell. We paid a little more draft capital but we got the better prospect, I think we got the better deal.

bileever

Reaction score
I wouldn't have been surprised if Kyle Shanahan traded for Justin Fields. Kyle's been obsessed with the idea of having a running QB, ever since he had Robert Griffin on that Washington team in 2012. I think Fields is what he was hoping Trey Lance would be. Omg, I would have loved that, having Fields replace Brock Purdy as the 49ers' QB. How awesome that would have been for us. If only the football gods had allowed that to happen!

Jegpeg

Reaction score
If I'm a Steelers fan, I'm liking these latest two developments. Although I'm not optimistic that Russell will have any better success in Pittsburgh than he had in Denver, it's still a very low risk, high reward venture. Same with Justin Fields, except that he's much younger and with a higher ceiling. If Russell ain't cutting it, give Fields a shot.

Although I wouldn't want to put any money on it, the moves has a reasonable potential to get them over the hump and into a SB contending class within a year or two.
I am rather surprised at the Steelers' move as I think they have two bridge QBs. I can't see either being more than a just about acceptable starter, and if either does well you will have to pay them next year. Before the Fields move I was expecting them to draft a QB to be Back-up for Wilson at least at the start of this season that they hoped would show enough to be the 2025 starter. As it is they will either have to pay Wilson or Fields on the basis of one good year of production (Like we did for Geno last year) or find themselves looking for a QB from scratch.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I get it that this is an unbelievably important signing that all Seahawks fans want to know about and not need to dig thru another thread not dedicated to this very important news but why does this have it's own thread?
Shouldn't this go in the "Free Agent News--Other Teams" thread"?
Asking for a friend.

my apologies: meant to post this in the RW thread.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
I am rather surprised at the Steelers' move as I think they have two bridge QBs. I can't see either being more than a just about acceptable starter, and if either does well you will have to pay them next year. Before the Fields move I was expecting them to draft a QB to be Back-up for Wilson at least at the start of this season that they hoped would show enough to be the 2025 starter. As it is they will either have to pay Wilson or Fields on the basis of one good year of production (Like we did for Geno last year) or find themselves looking for a QB from scratch.
Russell is obviously a bridge QB, but Fields would qualify more as an experimental QB.

The problem in drafting a QB is that they're at #20 overall and most of the good prospects will be long gone. Fields, having just turned 25, has at least as good of a chance of becoming their QBOTF as would a draft pick in the lower half of the first round, except that now they can use that pick on the BPA or to address some other need. I think it was a smart move.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Denver is only paying Me3 for this coming season,this is why they cut him so
they wouldn't have to pay him for 2 seasons or more.
Me3 can sign anywhere (not here) next season for whatever amount he's not
worth but the only thing hurting Denver is the dead cap hit that they split for
2 seasons (Biggest in NFL history) Just for Me3.
Thanks for the clarification! I WANTED Denver to still be on the hook for 2 more seasons, lol.

Russell will STILL be a good mentor to Fields for at least the first season, IMO, because Russell is about his brand, and the next shiny object there is HOF, which he could prop up if he gets to AFCCG or for sure SB. Mentoring Fields is in his interest this one year, in case Fields needs to fill in for a couple games to get crucial wins for HFA or playoff positioning.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! I WANTED Denver to still be on the hook for 2 more seasons, lol.

Russell will STILL be a good mentor to Fields for at least the first season, IMO, because Russell is about his brand, and the next shiny object there is HOF, which he could prop up if he gets to AFCCG or for sure SB. Mentoring Fields is in his interest this one year, in case Fields needs to fill in for a couple games to get crucial wins for HFA or playoff positioning.
Getting to an AFCCG won't cut it IMO. Russell's numbers alone aren't going to get him in. There's a slew of non-HOF QB's, like Vinny Testeverde, Drew Bledsoe, Phillip Rivers, and Carson Palmer with more career passing yards. Then you have Matt Ryan, with a league MVP, and Eli Manning with two SB MVP's, both with more passing yards. And that's before you start talking about other contemporaries, like Brees, Brady, Rothlisberger, and Rodgers, who are all slam dunk.

HOF quarterbacks are going to have to have a league MVP, a SB MVP, or top 10 in the major statistical categories in order to separate themselves from their peers.

And don't forget, Russell has never gotten a single vote for league MVP, so it's hard to see him getting HOF votes on a very iffy resume.

Just my humble opinion.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Getting to an AFCCG won't cut it IMO. Russell's numbers alone aren't going to get him in. There's a slew of non-HOF QB's, like Vinny Testeverde, Drew Bledsoe, Phillip Rivers, and Carson Palmer with more career passing yards. Then you have Matt Ryan, with a league MVP, and Eli Manning with two SB MVP's, both with more passing yards. And that's before you start talking about other contemporaries, like Brees, Brady, Rothlisberger, and Rodgers, who are all slam dunk.

HOF quarterbacks are going to have to have a league MVP, a SB MVP, or top 10 in the major statistical categories in order to separate themselves from their peers.

And don't forget, Russell has never gotten a single vote for league MVP, so it's hard to see him getting HOF votes on a very iffy resume.

Just my humble opinion.
Russ will start his own hof and induct himself...

BigBill1945

Reaction score
Fields is garbage. However, I don't like the trade for Howell either. Howell is a better QB than Fields.
Both Fields and Russ have the same issues. They hold the ball too long. They both run around trying to be pocket QBs and become sack bait. Russ can't see over his lineman and goes long more than short. Fields is very slow in his drop backs. This has also affected his pass efficiency and made it easy to sack him. The Bear's line has not helped either. I guess it is for the Steelers to figure out.

olyfan63

Reaction score

Just my humble opinion.
Didn't say Russell deserved HOF, but I bet HOF is on his mind, on his wishlist for his brand. If he DID take the Stealers to the Owl and win it and get SB MVP, it would make his case stronger. Unlikely, but in this wacky world of ours, ya never know.

IF Russell did do such an unlikely thing, it would also mean he made adjustments and humbled himself to ditch the LRC fantasy and play within himself.

Part of Russell's brand is showing short QBs can play at a high level in the NFL and win a Super Bowl. It would help separate himself from giving the credit to LOB and Marshawn.

rcaido

Reaction score

Just my humble opinion.
There are currently 34 QBs in the HOF. 16 QBs dont have an MVP. As for passing yards, Wilson will have more passing yards then those guys you mention after this year except for Rivers(6th all-time) Wilson by the time he retires will have more passing yards then Elway & Moon. Wilson can possibly get top 10 all time in TDs this year. Wilson has 9 Pro Bowls, only 6 QBs has more than him. There is only 1 black QB currently in the HOF which is Moon. He has no MVP and no Superbowl. Wilson is also not too shabby w/ his rushing stats. Wilson had a good bounce back year compared to last season. If he can keep it up for 5 more years, he will be in the top 7 in most QB categories. Stats wise he should be a shoe-in for HOF. Personality wise, i think that first season w/ the Broncos really poison the well for his image. If he can get another decent bounce back year and the Broncos have a terrible season then he maybe be able to restore his image again. Then again if he fails/bench/traded and Broncos do good, HOF will diminished greatly.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are currently 34 QBs in the HOF. 16 QBs dont have an MVP. As for passing yards, Wilson will have more passing yards then those guys you mention after this year except for Rivers(6th all-time) Wilson by the time he retires will have more passing yards then Elway & Moon. Wilson can possibly get top 10 all time in TDs this year. Wilson has 9 Pro Bowls, only 6 QBs has more than him. There is only 1 black QB currently in the HOF which is Moon. He has no MVP and no Superbowl. Wilson is also not too shabby w/ his rushing stats. Wilson had a good bounce back year compared to last season. If he can keep it up for 5 more years, he will be in the top 7 in most QB categories. Stats wise he should be a shoe-in for HOF. Personality wise, i think that first season w/ the Broncos really poison the well for his image. If he can get another decent bounce back year and the Broncos have a terrible season then he maybe be able to restore his image again. Then again if he fails/bench/traded and Broncos do good, HOF will diminished greatly.
You're looking at too large of a time frame. The game has changed since Sammy Baugh and YA Tittle's time. Running backs are no longer getting MVP awards. The last RB to win an MVP was Adrian Peterson in 2012. Since then, it's been all QB's. It's much more of a quarterback's league, especially over the past 30 years or so. So you need to shorten your time frame to get a good idea of what the unwritten HOF requirements for quarterbacks are nowadays.

Of all the quarterbacks who have played since 1990, there have been 10 who have been inducted into the HOF. They include Joe Montana (2 MVP's, 3 SB MVP's), Steve Young (2 MVP's, 3 SB MVP's), John Elway (1 MVP, 2 SB MVP's), Jim Kelly, Dan Marino (1 MVP), Troy Aikman (1 SB MVP), Warren Moon, Brett Favre (3 MVP's), Kurt Warner (2 MVP's, 1 SB MVP), and Peyton Manning (5 MVP's, 1 SB MVP).

Out of that list, there are just two quarterbacks that have not won at least a league MVP or SB MVP: Jim Kelly, who guided his team to 4 consecutive SB's, and Warren Moon, the first black QB to be inducted and who had an impressive CFL resume that was taken into consideration. Both of those QB's played at the earlier end of the rather arbitrary criteria I chose, in the 1990's.

As far as passing yards goes, just to crack the top 10, all of whom will have played in the 21st century, Russell's going to need about 62k yards by the time he retires (Rodgers at #9 is at 59k). Russell's currently at 43k, about one good season ahead of Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr...Yikes! He has his work cut out for him. He's going to need to average close to 4k yards/season for 5 years to catch up with the big boys.

And as I said, one has to look at the fact that Russell hasn't received one single vote for a league MVP award. It's hard to imagine a HOF committee being any more forgiving.

Last edited:

Latest posts