Kam PI was BS

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2x16pfzv said:
This team still has not learned.

Crap calls happen.

Guys suddenly get hurt and it changes everything, including your ability to consistently shut down offenses 3-5 possessions in a row. The ball bounces funny. Sh*t happens.

The more you allow a game to stay close? The more you make it possible for Sh*t to Happen to you. So put the game away. Score. (Ask the idiot Bengals that punted when inside their opponent's 38 in a playoff game...not trying to score when you can has the capacity to burn you bad)

Basically, the closer you keep a game - the more you leave it open for external forces to influence the outcome.

If you have a 14 point lead or EVEN JUST STILL HAVE THE BALL, then they cannot just slam into you for penalties.

We were trying to bleed a clock with a 2 yd per carry run attack highlighted by multiple long passes that had no chance of being completed and just killed conversion %.

The entire first half consisted of this team screwing around trying to set the defense up for plays that were not going to work later anyway. There was no reasonable effort to try to mount a scoring drive, and Bevell's incompetence here almost hurt us badly.*

This was followed by one freak play that leads to a possession close enough the RZ for a TD pass. And then a fumble recovery that got us a single FG.

We followed by breaking out "1st Half Bevell", trying to suck a clock down from near 6 minutes to go in the game. A game we might have needed the clock to score in.

Kam's PI wouldn't have come close to almost handing the team the game if we had even put together a reasonable effort to move the ball in the 2nd half. And so it is hard to complain about a call that we never should have been in the position to be upset about.

This team needs the offense to start producing a little bit more than 3 plays per game in the playoffs. And not doing so just puts you in position where a bad call like the one on Kam can swing the game. If you have the lead in the 4th and the other team can still score + win? You have no business not trying to score, because otherwise you are unfairly putting the pressure on your defense to fix your screwups.

1. Road game
2. 3rd coldest game in NFL history
3. Game plan all week was built with Lynch(I'm assuming)

All neutralized our offense... at least that's my theory.

Sealake80

Reaction score
Chicken shit. Thank god none of that chicken shit matters when it hooks left. :thirishdrinkers:

SFVikeFan

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3i7mct5n said:
It was a chicken shit call let's just move on.

Not really. Look around the NFL - right or wrong that call gets flagged on defensive players much more often than not. Pats & Packers have made a living off trying to drive their WR's & TE's into DB's who are caught flat footed trying to draw flags. We've been on the receiving end of plenty by the Packers.

From the NFL rules website - Rules for DPI include: Cutting off a WR's route without playing the ball:

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defensive-pass-interference/

Look at 1:12 into the video, then click on the link below for the illegal contact description beyond 5 yards. Whether they flag it as DPI or illegal contact is a bit of a gray area, but plays like that usually end up as a defensive penalty.

I get it, I know as rival fans you're going to disagree and insist Rudolph ran into him but per the rules Kam has to stay out of his way and let him run his route - it's not basketball and Kam can't stand there flat footed in front of Rudolph like he's taking a charge. For the record Kam also did it earlier on the go route to McKinnon in the first half but didn't get flagged. I thought the earlier one on McKinnon was a good non-call, but the one on Rudolph is usually flagged around the NFL.

Overall I thought the officiating was very even, and far better than the first game between us.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
If was one of those could have gone either way. No need for the flag.

okhawkfan

Reaction score
Should have been no call at all. It was not defensive pass interference in any way, shape or form. Ridiculous call, especially during that moment.

Tical21

Reaction score
This is a really hard call to make. You've got a couple different things going on here. First, Rudolph wasn't trying to draw a flag. He was trying to run a double-move, and just happened to have a big freak in his way.

Now, the rules say that a defensive player can't impede a route more than five yards down the field, right? Do we all agree on that? Does Kam standing in his way impede his route? Can we all agree on that? I don't know that those who are arguing "Kam has a right to his space" are correct. I'm not really sure that he does.

I think what the NFL wants is for the defensive players to get out of the way and not impede the route. Not saying it is a fair or good rule, but I think that is what the NFL is going for.

I know we have pretty short memories here, but Nate Burleson was actual the beneficiary of this rule in a huge game for us sometime back. He ran smack into a defensive back that wasn't even looking, fell down, and got an illegal contact ruling, and I think a lot of us would have complained if we didn't get the flag in that scenario.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":158muk4p said:
This is a really hard call to make. You've got a couple different things going on here. First, Rudolph wasn't trying to draw a flag. He was trying to run a double-move, and just happened to have a big freak in his way.

Now, the rules say that a defensive player can't impede a route more than five yards down the field, right? Do we all agree on that? Does Kam standing in his way impede his route? Can we all agree on that? I don't know that those who are arguing "Kam has a right to his space" are correct. I'm not really sure that he does.

I think what the NFL wants is for the defensive players to get out of the way and not impede the route. Not saying it is a fair or good rule, but I think that is what the NFL is going for.

I know we have pretty short memories here, but Nate Burleson was actual the beneficiary of this rule in a huge game for us sometime back. He ran smack into a defensive back that wasn't even looking, fell down, and got an illegal contact ruling, and I think a lot of us would have complained if we didn't get the flag in that scenario.

Nope, you're wrong. Under the rules, the offensive and defensive players are equally entitled to their space on the field. 'Impede a route' is not a rule you will find in the NFL rulebook.

What you will find is the prohibition on "cutting off the path of an opponent by making contact with him." That doesn't require the defensive player to cede his ground to an offensive player; what it does is prohibit either player from cutting off, i.e. the physical motion of moving into another player, by making contact with that player. That's not what happened here, as Kam does not move in front of Rudolph's path. And, in fact, it was Rudolph who initiated the illegal contact by running straight into Kam and dipping his shoulder into him.

If what you believe to be the rule was the rule, then on every play our receivers should merely seek to chase down defensive players and knock them to the ground. First one to do so gets a big penalty. No completed pass required. Such a reading of the rule would obviously yield an absurd result.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The call was not legit in any way shape or form for the simple fact the damn ball wasn't involved in the play , I don't think it was even in the air when contact was initiated from the offensive player. So how is that PI answer it wasn't . It was just a horrible call that thankfully didn't cost us the game . The Vikings didn't deserve to win that game they couldn't even score a TD at home .

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I agree with those posters who say it was a weak call. kam did not interfere with their TE he got mugged by him. At worst it it should not have been called DPI but illegal contact downfield. Properly called it was not a penalty.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Imagine how awful football would be to watch if all you had to do to get a PI was run straight into the defender.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
BS call. Should have either not been called or should have been OPI.

retro74

Reaction score
Clever play by the Vikings for me. If you can't trick the defense then trick the officials. Rudolph goes looking for Chancellor and initiates the contact. Rudolph doesn't even look for the ball as it's not in the vicinity

Officials don't really have any choice but the throw the flag though because it looks like PI

themunn

Reaction score
For me, Kam's movement is what (incorrectly) draws the flag - but Kam is actually moving towards the path of the ball, so if anything is trying to make a play on the ball more than Rudolph was

firebee

Reaction score
That was not defensive PI... Pay attention to where Kam is looking. He was looking in at the QB. He saw the QB release the ball and right as he pulled up to try breaking on the ball, Rudolph knocked him down. Kam was in a backpedal and he started to pull up to make a break on the ball when the ball was thrown. Rudolph ran right at him, initiated contact and pushed Kam down without looking back for the ball. Rudolph didn't look back for the ball until it was too late. If anything should've been called, Offensive PI should've been called because Rudolph initiated contact without looking back for the ball.

The PI on Kam was a bogus call, but Karma kicked in quickly... pun intended.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1c0c67yc said:
Tech Worlds":1c0c67yc said:
Obvious pass interference

Yes agree it was PI, was an easy call for the refs.
Apparently, you disagree with Pete Carroll. He's usually pretty honest about things. This is after a win where he could have just said, "Yeah, we probably didn't play that well" or some comment like that. But, he didn't go that direction at all. He didn't have the advantage of watching it (yet) how we're seeing it (or maybe he did?) But, that's not really a play you need to watch like a play review. Watching the play unfold it was clear that the Vikes and the player worked the officials on that one.

timeline reference: 6:37 to 6:55

http://www.seahawks.com/video/2016/01/1 ... conference

Latest posts