Last play call was XLIX all over again

Seanhawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":imcbnsyr said:
SoulfishHawk":imcbnsyr said:
They got the snap w/a second on the clock. How does he have time to call an audible???

The clock was stopped when Wilson spiked the ball. Doesn't start again until the ball is hiked.

The play clock was running though and that was down under 2 seconds. Pete said on Brock & Salk this morning that Russ had to make a protection call after the Saints showed blitz and cover 0 late, but he didn't have time to change the routes.

Jville

Reaction score
Posted below is the text of the real explanation.

Final play. Carroll indicated that Seattle would have ideally audibled to a different play at the end of the game based on the defensive look that New Orleans was showing. He said Russell Wilson changed the protection at the line of scrimmage when he read that the Saints were bringing what’s called a zero blitz but that he felt there wasn’t time to change the routes. The Seahawks didn’t have a timeout, having used their last one on their previous defensive series. That forced them to spike the ball on third down to stop the clock with 2 seconds left, setting up fourth-down play from the 10-yard line to decide the game. The play clock was running down when Seattle snapped the ball. Wilson’s fade to Jermaine Kearse was overthrown, carrying him out of the back of the end zone. “It was a full blitz and we fixed the protection. Russ did a nice job to fix the protection,” Carroll said. “We kind of ran out of time to fix the routes and had to go with what the route was called and had to make the most of that, and that’s kind of how that happened, and we missed by inches.” Asked if that wasn’t the route Wilson wanted in that situation, Carroll said he could have changed it “when he sees it’s a blitz and it’s zero coverage, meaning it’s one-on-ones across the board, but he felt like he ran out of time to go ahead and get that done, so he just went with the routes and decided to go to Kearse and gave him a shot at it. Given more time, if it didn’t happen quite so late, he would done a couple things differently.” Carroll said it wasn’t a matter of the play-call coming in late. “No, I think it was because … it was a really well-disguised blitz,” he said. “You couldn’t tell all the way until the final movement of the free safety that it was zero. Russ had to sense that, which he did, but it took a while to detect what was going on because they didn’t show it right away.”

P.S. The OP post appears to be a speculative fantasy. IMO ..... posts of that nature are a departure from game day events and reality.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
seedhawk":k3we4thc said:
Don't think so. However, it sure looked to me like RW was going to Kearse all the way. Never seemed to look anywhere else. And, am I wrong, or is the pylon considered part of the field of play? Because Kearse got his first foot down in the end zone, and his second foot smacked the pylon. If the pylon is part of the field, was that not a touchdown?
Since when is Kearse a bad choice in a situation he's succeeded in numerous times? Hyperbole is the correct term.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1n95g7ay said:
This is just sooooooo dumb.

The CB targeted said after the game he knew it was coming his way because of the size mismatch and they doubled Jimmy.

This was Wilson all the way. He seen the match up he wanted and never looked away from it. Then he threw the ball out of bounds.

It's not rocket surgery. Teams constantly look for mismatches, especially in man coverage. That is exactly what happened on this play but it was Wilson who identified the matchup he wanted and failed to deliver on it.

Blaming Bevell for everything that happens in a game is just plain stupid and lazy.

Was it Bevell who threw an int to a LB who never moved off his spot?

Wilson had another below average game, likely do to not being 100%. Add that to the officiating and it is very difficult to win a game against a dynamic offense in thier house on the 2nd week of travel in an early start.

I actually thought Bevell called an excellent game considering Wilson wasn't able to throw anything deep. We actually moved the ball pretty well until we got into the red zone but the red zone has always been Russel's weakness.
LOL! 'He seen' and 'rocket surgery' Yet, by all means, make the call on what is 'soooooo dumb'

Yeah, the red zone is Russells weakness, LOL!!

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":1ktmccua said:

Final play. Carroll indicated that Seattle would have ideally audibled to a different play at the end of the game based on the defensive look that New Orleans was showing. He said Russell Wilson changed the protection at the line of scrimmage when he read that the Saints were bringing what’s called a zero blitz but that he felt there wasn’t time to change the routes. The Seahawks didn’t have a timeout, having used their last one on their previous defensive series. That forced them to spike the ball on third down to stop the clock with 2 seconds left, setting up fourth-down play from the 10-yard line to decide the game. The play clock was running down when Seattle snapped the ball. Wilson’s fade to Jermaine Kearse was overthrown, carrying him out of the back of the end zone. “It was a full blitz and we fixed the protection. Russ did a nice job to fix the protection,” Carroll said. “We kind of ran out of time to fix the routes and had to go with what the route was called and had to make the most of that, and that’s kind of how that happened, and we missed by inches.” Asked if that wasn’t the route Wilson wanted in that situation, Carroll said he could have changed it “when he sees it’s a blitz and it’s zero coverage, meaning it’s one-on-ones across the board, but he felt like he ran out of time to go ahead and get that done, so he just went with the routes and decided to go to Kearse and gave him a shot at it. Given more time, if it didn’t happen quite so late, he would done a couple things differently.” Carroll said it wasn’t a matter of the play-call coming in late. “No, I think it was because … it was a really well-disguised blitz,” he said. “You couldn’t tell all the way until the final movement of the free safety that it was zero. Russ had to sense that, which he did, but it took a while to detect what was going on because they didn’t show it right away.”

P.S. The OP post appears to be a speculative fantasy. IMO ..... posts of that nature are a departure from game day events and reality.

Carroll's comments are interesting. I wonder if faced with a similar situation in the future, if Russ would opt to change the routes instead of the protection if forced to choose?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Jville":1oumve1e said:

Thanks for the explanation. It's good info.

It does piss me off that the officials diliberately burned our clock and forced us to burn a time out.

Of all the evidence in that game the officials were steering the game keeping the clock going when it was blatantly obvious the ball went out of bounds, really to me is the most telling.

Pete took the time out so he could point out the obvious, I'm sure figuring they would correct it, reset the clock and return the time out but they gave a bull shit reason that everyone knew was bull shit and screwed us out of any real chance of making a final score.

It is amazing to me that there is little to no discussion about how the game was officiated outside of this forum. Not even on local radio.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If it was the other way around, everyone would be going nuts after the Hawks were "given the game" :roll:

Schadie001

Reaction score
seedhawk":7uby3d0z said:
Don't think so. However, it sure looked to me like RW was going to Kearse all the way. Never seemed to look anywhere else. And, am I wrong, or is the pylon considered part of the field of play? Because Kearse got his first foot down in the end zone, and his second foot smacked the pylon. If the pylon is part of the field, was that not a touchdown?

Pete said in an interview that Russell didn't have the time he needed to make adjustments, saw single coverage with Kearse and decided to go for it. Plain and simple. To me this wasn't the most important play on that drive, Russell should have spiked the ball a few plays earlier on 1st down. Instead, they ran 21 sec off the clock from the time the ball was placed to when they snapped it. If they would have spiked the ball we many have had time for 1 or 2 more shots at the endzone. But here we are and hind sight is always 20/20.

Latest posts