Locker room attendant being questioned

kearly

Reaction score
Ninety seconds is enough time, and doing it in the bathroom makes sense (no cameras to worry about, unless Pehawk had one). Course, if it was a public bathroom that would be kind of awkward.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Tom "ballboy" Brady says it only takes 3 seconds.
1. Take needle and cover threaded port as you insert into ball.
2. Lift thumb to let out air and count to 2 Mississippi then remove.
3. Repeat.

idahawks

Reaction score
OK I finally have a plausible explanation for deflate gate. Pat fans are going to love me. Maybe when they initially filled the balls and checked them their gauge was off by 2 lbs. So its said 12.5 psi but it was really 10.5. Then when they checked them later with a different, accurate gauge they said 10.5. The balls were never deflated they weren't fully inflated and the gauge was wrong.

Not sure how that explains the 12th ball but it could explain the other 11.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Ron Burgundy":24lyh3sk said:
50yrpatsfan":24lyh3sk said:
You my friend don't know wth you're talking about. The rule is that 2 hrs before the game, when the ref checks them, the balls have to be within 12.5 to 13.5. PERIOD, to steal a phrase. It's not incumbent on either team to inflate to a different level because it's going to be cold or wet outside. However, because cold and wet do affect psi, the league hasn't thought this out very well because ball pressure will decrease beyond a shadow of a doubt, and then you situations like this.
So to be technical, as long as the balls are between 12.5 and 13.5 psi two hours BEFORE the game, they can be at whatever psi the QB likes AT game time? Right. If true, that DOES seem like the sort of loophole that Belicheat would find and exploit.

http://deadspin.com/nfl-football-manufa ... 1681802079

[youtube]6ttq6s7VnQM[/youtube]

Well, all the rule addresses is the measuring before the game. There's no provisions for re-measuring throughout the game to ensure the balls stay within that range. By doing that in this case for the first time ever, the NFL has wandered into the land of unintended consequences. They hadn't even thought about cold temps, wetness and other factors that affect psi.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":362ms7zi said:
Ron Burgundy":362ms7zi said:
It wasn't that cold. Around 50* as I recall. A ball isn't going to lose 16% of its air pressure in an hour with at most a 20* difference in temperature. This has been discussed already.

I think that's probably true. It was more like a 25 degree diff, but most scientist comments I've seen say that could account for 1 psi at most, not 2. But there are other variables too like leather expanding when wet, the scrubbing process used, whether the balls were in fact a full 2 psi low, etc.
So why did the Colts first notice the deflated balls in the first game they played this year? In a freakin Dome?

You are a Pats fan. Don't add stupidity to your list of crimes.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2nlt90x4 said:
50yrpatsfan":2nlt90x4 said:
Ron Burgundy":2nlt90x4 said:
It wasn't that cold. Around 50* as I recall. A ball isn't going to lose 16% of its air pressure in an hour with at most a 20* difference in temperature. This has been discussed already.

I think that's probably true. It was more like a 25 degree diff, but most scientist comments I've seen say that could account for 1 psi at most, not 2. But there are other variables too like leather expanding when wet, the scrubbing process used, whether the balls were in fact a full 2 psi low, etc.
So why did the Colts first notice the deflated balls in the first game they played this year? In a freakin Dome?

You are a Pats fan. Don't add stupidity to your list of crimes.

That hasn't been confirmed at all, just another unsubstantiated rumor. In fact, if that were the case and the NFL did a sting on the Pats in the recent game, that would mean that they intentionally put the Colts at a disadvantage for the whole first half just to finger NE. Not a very likely story, like most aspects of this witch hunt.

kearly

Reaction score
No one thinks this was a sting by the NFL. A Colts player went to the refs after an interception. They removed the footballs at halftime. It's standard procedure.

As has been said before, for the pressure to fall as far as it did, the air would have to be 125 degrees when it first went into the football. Which would also be cheating.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Watching Inside the NFL .. they were able to deflate an overinflated ball from 14 PSI to 10.5 in about 3 seconds.

Then Brandon Marshall - an all pro WR known for his great hands - said it was a noticeable difference and much easier to grip.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":35o4llju said:
Watching Inside the NFL .. they were able to deflate an overinflated ball from 14 PSI to 10.5 in about 3 seconds.

Then Brandon Marshall - an all pro WR known for his great hands - said it was a noticeable difference and much easier to grip.
Meh, just a preview of the NFL soon to come under The Rogmeister. Nerf footballs and velcro flags. Fantasy points, TV ratings, and no head injury lawsuits are the priorities.

plyka

Reaction score
Chawks1":24ux2qut said:
I'm sure he acted alone. Must be a rogue employee who decided to do this on his own for the very first time during the AFC Championship game. Right?

Don't worry I'm sure Brady will let him take the fall. Next time we hear from this guy it will be from here:

Didn't I hear that Goodell and the league actually destroyed evidence in SpyGate in order to protect the Patriots? The league will be grateful to agree that the ball boy acted alone in a lone act of lunacy just this once, the Patriots fire him, the ball boy lives out his days on a beach somewhere --everyone wins.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Former Bengals QB Jeff Blake:

"I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," Blake said. "'Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard. Everybody puts the pin in and lets just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. But it's not the point to where it's flat.

"As soon as they give them the balls," Blake said. "On the sideline before the game. The quarterbacks would come out to warm up in pregame ... I would just say, 'Take a little bit out, it's a little bit hard.' And then they'd take a little bit out and I'd squeeze them and say 'That's perfect.' That's it."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12244 ... lls-common

Chawks1

Reaction score
hawknation2015":8d1vx1cx said:

"I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," Blake said. "'Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard. Everybody puts the pin in and lets just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. But it's not the point to where it's flat.

"As soon as they give them the balls," Blake said. "On the sideline before the game. The quarterbacks would come out to warm up in pregame ... I would just say, 'Take a little bit out, it's a little bit hard.' And then they'd take a little bit out and I'd squeeze them and say 'That's perfect.' That's it."

If Tom Brady had said this the day after the game then they probably could have moved on with the $25,000 fine per offense = $275k total. Now Brady, Belichick, and Kraft are all on record saying none of this happened so they will all sink together. Fines, suspensions, draft picks.......it's ALWAYS the cover up that nails people.

furi0usbee

Reaction score
Chawks1":3636v023 said:
hawknation2015":3636v023 said:

If Tom Brady had said this the day after the game then they probably could have moved on with the $25,000 fine per offense = $275k total. Now Brady, Belichick, and Kraft are all on record saying none of this happened so they will all sink together. Fines, suspensions, draft picks.......it's ALWAYS the cover up that nails people.

From everything I'm reading leaking from the NFL, the Patriots supplied a video to the NFL which shows the guy carrying the balls go into the bathroom for 90 seconds. Unless this guy goes into the bathroom for 90 before every game or the NFL has something else, you may not even see fines. Forget about suspensions or draft picks. That's not gonna happen. Only the NFL could screw this investigation up so bad.

Thing thing is, the NFL will look mighty stupid if they end up without any real evidence. They are going to have to something, and that will probably be fine the patriots because although they can't prove something happened, they will say they know something happened. If that's the case, it will only add to the lore. Now, should they win the SB, wow... you are going to have some mad people to start with, and then throw the NFL not being able to prove anything, and what you got is an exciting 2015 NFL season.

Laloosh

Reaction score
furi0usbee":2jr8ga0o said:
Chawks1":2jr8ga0o said:
hawknation2015":2jr8ga0o said:

From everything I'm reading leaking from the NFL, the Patriots supplied a video to the NFL which shows the guy carrying the balls go into the bathroom for 90 seconds. Unless this guy goes into the bathroom for 90 before every game or the NFL has something else, you may not even see fines. Forget about suspensions or draft picks. That's not gonna happen. Only the NFL could screw this investigation up so bad.

Thing thing is, the NFL will look mighty stupid if they end up without any real evidence. They are going to have to something, and that will probably be fine the patriots because although they can't prove something happened, they will say they know something happened. If that's the case, it will only add to the lore. Now, should they win the SB, wow... you are going to have some mad people to start with, and then throw the NFL not being able to prove anything, and what you got is an exciting 2015 NFL season.

How will it be embarrassing for the NFL if they don't find "real evidence"? They're investigating. Investigations don't always yield evidence.

The balls were under inflated. Your team's track record and that fact alone would have been enough in the public eye. The fact that your head coach and owner started grand standing for the media only served to convince everyone outside of NE that the investigation is warranted and that they're probably guilty as hell. We honestly don't care how NE fans feel about it and we're not asking. We're discussing it and you're playing the role of Billy Boy and Tom Tom right now. It's pathetic.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
How will it be embarrassing for the NFL if they don't find "real evidence"? They're investigating. Investigations don't always yield evidence.

The balls were under inflated. Your team's track record and that fact alone would have been enough in the public eye. The fact that your head coach and owner started grand standing for the media only served to convince everyone outside of NE that the investigation is warranted and that they're probably guilty as hell. We honestly don't care how NE fans feel about it and we're not asking. We're discussing it and you're playing the role of Billy Boy and Tom Tom right now. It's pathetic.

They may not need as much REAL conclusive evidence as you think. Here is a clip of an article from 2007 quoting Goodell and his opinion of the changes that needed to be made, I have no idea if anything changed but with the magnitude of the scandal at the time I'm sure quite a bit did.

"I think there are a number of steps that should be taken in advance of the start of the 2008 season to improve and strengthen the enforcement procedures designed to preserve the competitive integrity of the game," Goodell wrote, adding that "too often, competitive violations have gone unpunished because conclusive proof of the violation was lacking."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3280996

Tony CahnCuhd

Reaction score
The problem the league investigator faces is that there was actually too much pressure in those deflated balls to explain BOTH:

1) A ball boy letting some air out

and:

2) Loss of pressure from temperature decline/wetness

So, the only possibility is a choice between:

1) No balls were manipulated

2) The laws of nature were suspended

I put my money on nature and physics operating as usual

bostonhardo

Reaction score
hawk45":19h9qohk said:
50yrpatsfan":19h9qohk said:
Step 1 - Lock door
Step 2 - Put bags on floor
Step 3 - Unzip the Patriot's football bag
Step 4 - Take out one Patriot football
Step 5 - Take deflating needle out of shirt pocket
Step 6 - Insert needle into football, deflate to 11 psi
Step 7 - Put football on floor of bathroom
Step 8 - Repeat Steps 6-7 (11 times)
Step 9 - Take one football off floor and put back into bag
Step 10 - Repeat Step 9 (11 times)
Step 11 - Zip up Patriot football bag
Step 12 - Unlock door
Step 13 - Pick up bags

Pats fan obfuscation fail.

Lock door, drop bags, unzip Pats bag: 5s
Pull Pats balls out one-by-one and deflate 12: 60s @ 5s a ball
Put balls bag in bag: 15s
Zip bag/unlock door: 5s

The only dicey part of that is 5s to pull a ball and deflate. As a PFT commentator pointed out, tire deflator tools used by 4WD folks will automatically deflate tires in increments. Your enterprising ball boy can purchase them on Amazon and ebay if he's too lazy to go where 4WD related parts are sold.

Does he have time to drop a deuce?

Tony CahnCuhd

Reaction score
None of this makes sense. How can you have a 1-2 psi drop from nature PLUS manual deflation and still have 10.5+ psi left in each ball?

Is anyone able to explain?