Long term QB plan

seabowl

Reaction score
With Geno getting up there in age, what do you think the long term plan for a qb is? Free agent pickup, draft, Lock?

Thoughts?

sutz

Reaction score
Right now, it would appear that Lock is the guy for the future, though we don't know how far in the future that might be. And given that he is on a one year deal, we could lose him before Geno retires. The FO wasn't in a panic for losing out on the top 3 last draft, so they seem to think a top draft pick QB might not be necessary, much to the chagrin of many posters around here. ;)

pmedic920

Reaction score
I’m guessing it’s Lock AND the Draft.
They’ve kept him because they have a bit of faith, and I suspect they will draft a QB when the time is right. (Good talent, value ratio)

Personally I think we’re in a good place QB wise.
We have a serviceable QB now, we have a serviceable backup, and we don’t have to reach or hurry up in a draft.

Boohman14

Reaction score
Geno is on the other side of 30 but he's a low mileage player. He hasn't endured as much physical abuse as most starting QB's his age. He has the mental part of the game down but just needs more game day experience. I was glad that Seattle didn't pick a QB out of desperation in the draft.
I actually don't think the Hawks have a master plan for a replacement for Geno yet. I think they will explore options and count on competition to find the next QB. I think they believe Geno can fit the Seahawks's plan for at least 5 years.

Jville

Reaction score
I see the NFL as a one year at a time league. It's still very much a game of attrition. So, for the most part, long term league planing appears to be only two or three years down the road / time line. Heck, the league continues to alter the rules and points of emphasis annually. So it's a constantly changing product for fans. For me, the most interesting teams are the developmental teams with lots of roster churn.

I think the Seahawks quarterback room is in great shape. Certainly in better shape than the other 3 teams in the NFL West. The Seahawks continue to utilize all avenues of talent acquisition.

Mick063

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the long-term head coaching plan. Retirement could come at any time, but I believe he will at least coach this upcoming season. I just wouldn't be shocked at a surprise announcement any time after that though.

When Seattle hired Carroll, they got a successful college coach with a long resume of pro/college experience and a track record for winning college national championships. That seems like a fairly good recipe for when the time comes.

As far as Geno goes, I'm good with him for the next 4-5 years unless he falls off of a cliff.

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
With Geno getting up there in age, what do you think the long term plan for a qb is? Free agent pickup, draft, Lock?

Thoughts?
At Geno's age he could very easily have a minimum of four more years and possibly many more than four, he is still young for a QB. At 33/34 he is still in diapers..

Jac

Reaction score
Geno is on the other side of 30 but he's a low mileage player. He hasn't endured as much physical abuse as most starting QB's his age. He has the mental part of the game down but just needs more game day experience. I was glad that Seattle didn't pick a QB out of desperation in the draft.
I actually don't think the Hawks have a master plan for a replacement for Geno yet. I think they will explore options and count on competition to find the next QB. I think they believe Geno can fit the Seahawks's plan for at least 5 years.

Why would you think they believe that? Why would they sign him to a three-year deal structured in a way that they can get out after one year? Smith first has to repeat and improve upon what he did last year.

GemCity

Reaction score
After Smith approves upon last year’s performance, which was pretty incredible, I’d say he is our long term plan at QB.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Getting inside Pete's mind, I don't think he sees a need to expend massive draft capital or huge salary cap percentage on a QB, and doesn't see a need to plan more than 1-2 years ahead. Pete's shown he can win Super Bowls with a flawed-but-gifted QB on a rookie contract (Mr. Limited), and shown TWICE he can take a very flawed team to the playoffs with a cheap veteran retread QB. I think Pete now believes he can find a cost-effective veteran or rookie QB who fits his system and WIN based on the overall strength of the team.

We'll see if Geno can repeat (or improve on!) his 2022 showing, and depending on injury, we may get to see what the improved version of Drew Lock is. My sense of things is that Lock will not be that much of a drop-off from Geno if/when Geno is called upon. So one scenario is 1-2 more years of Geno, followed by potentially 4+ years of Lock, IF Drew Lock shows that he has been improving while sitting behind Geno.

Pete's winning formula is an elite defense, a bash-and-bomb balanced offense, and a roster FULL of players massively outperforming their contracts, INCLUDING the QB. Pete deviated from this formula when the Seahawks paid Russell, then he started "reaching" and overpaying for star players (Harvin, Adams, Cary Williams) he thought would put the team over the top. He's seen the disastrous consequences and learned from it. Pete's superpower and entire coaching infrastructure and support system is based on coaching raw, young, cheap players into starting-caliber NFL players, with some reaching Pro-Bowl level. (Russell, Bobby, KJ, Sherm, Mebane, Baldwin, Byron Maxwell, Earl, Tate, Sweezy, Bailey, Bowie, Irvin, Kearse, etc.)

Pete's system also relies on getting performs-to-contract veteran star players with leadership qualities and high availability. (Lynch, Avril, Bennett, Zach Miller, Diggs, Nwosu) Also on picking up key "lunch pail" veterans and misused castoffs and turning them into good players in Pete's system (Tony McDaniel, Clinton McDonald, Brandon Browner, Clemons, Giacomini, Mike Rob)

How many coaches would have handed the keys to an unheralded* rookie, over a high-profile veteran free agent signing, and then promptly reworked the entire offense around his unique skill set? Pete Carroll is the only one** I can think of. Pete has confidence he can find a QB that fits his system when he needs one, or, more accurately, bring in multiple guys to compete, and pick the one who performs best, and WIN with that QB. Pete's confidence is based on his TEAM foundation. IMO Pete lost his way, compromised his system, when the team chose to pay Russell.

* IMO RG III and Lamar Jackson were not "unheralded"
** John Harbaugh rolled with Joe Flacco and didn't change the offense for Lamar Jackson until Jackson's 2nd year

Jegpeg

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the long-term head coaching plan. Retirement could come at any time, but I believe he will at least coach this upcoming season. I just wouldn't be shocked at a surprise announcement any time after that though.

When Seattle hired Carroll, they got a successful college coach with a long resume of pro/college experience and a track record for winning college national championships. That seems like a fairly good recipe for when the time comes.

As far as Geno goes, I'm good with him for the next 4-5 years unless he falls off of a cliff.
Unless there is an unexpected health issue I am sure Pete will keep the front office informed of his retirement plans. If he expects to retire in the next couple of years it will be known about and potential replacements found.

toffee

Reaction score
Good chance that Geno can be that high end game manager for another 4 years or so, we may draft or sign a QB in year 2 or 3 of those 4 years. Then there's Lock, who is much younger, if he can learn enough in the next year or so, he can also take over as the pretty high end game manager.

Hard to predict injuries, unless you are Russell Wilson who talks to the omniscient and omnipotent Lord Jesus regularly. If Geno stays healthy, we don't need to worry about QB for another year or two.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If our FO thought that Geno was our long term answer at QB, we would have signed him to a longer, more lucrative contract than the 3 year deal with all sorts of strings attached.

Same with Drew Lock. If he were our QBOTF, we would have signed him to a longer contract than a little one year deal.

To answer the question in the thread title, I don't think that we have a long term QB plan, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. No plan is better than a bad plan. Take a look at teams like the Broncos and Cards who've hitched themselves to an underperforming quarterback.

Mick063

Reaction score
Good chance that Geno can be that high end game manager for another 4 years or so, we may draft or sign a QB in year 2 or 3 of those 4 years. Then there's Lock, who is much younger, if he can learn enough in the next year or so, he can also take over as the pretty high end game manager.

Hard to predict injuries, unless you are Russell Wilson who talks to the omniscient and omnipotent Lord Jesus regularly. If Geno stays healthy, we don't need to worry about QB for another year or two.
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were "high end" game managers as well. You are paying Geno quite the compliment and I have to agree. It is well deserved.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were "high end" game managers as well. You are paying Geno quite the compliment and I have to agree. It is well deserved.
Manning, Brady,……Geno?
That’s up there with, DiMaggio, Mantle, Ruth,…..Costanza?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Every indication is Geno could be as good as any "late bloom" QB. Think, Plunkett, Jeff Hostettler, Steve Young.

I still think you do have to draft a guy. I'm doubtful on Lock.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’m looking to win with Geno now and in the next 2 or 3 years. For me, it’s no need to look beyond Geno right now. If the team is built properly, this team can win with Geno.

Really, have to consider, Carroll may not want to continue past the next 5 years. For all we know Geno may be Carroll’s last QB he makes his last years with.

Just enjoy the show for now with the players and front office Seattle has at this time.

We don’t know how long the front office will be here and if Carroll will retire soon and Jody Allen will sell the team in the next few years.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I don't think they have a plan for long term QB, IMO. It seems like they are just going with Geno and see what happens.

Fade

Reaction score
Geno is the present and future. For a QB he is not that old. He has 4-5 great yrs left if you believe last season wasn't a fluke. (I don't think it was.)

However, that won't stop them from drafting a QB next year if the right guy is on the board in the first 3 rounds.

PC/JS are worried about more pertinent things when their head hits the pillow at night than QBotF.

Such as the issues they have on defense.

Fade

Reaction score
I don't think they have a plan for long term QB, IMO. It seems like they are just going with Geno and see what happens.

They have a plan. It's just not as anxiously desperate as some would like. Like reaching for one in this last draft.

They paid Geno to be the guy, while conveniently making it easy to get out of after 1 yr or thereafter if they find something better.

Paid premium backup money for the physically talented, albeit boneheaded Drew Lock, taking a shot hoping the light bulb 💡 comes on.

Geno's contract gives the Seahawks a 3 yr window to find their next QB in the draft, or elsewhere. That is the plan. I'd say the odds of them drafting one next year are very high. Just a question of which round at this point.