Worst case: QB

nwHawk

Reaction score
Let’s say Geno and Drew Lock sign with other clubs, then what?

You need to have a back up plan in place, what is it?

Roll with the draft and see what happens?

JPatera76

Reaction score
I didn't know Daniel Jones was a FA. He's been getting better and still has even more potential.
I’d be intrigued with him for a reasonable price. Wasn’t he one of the QBs JS was looking at previously?

massari

Reaction score
As a bridge QB, they can sign Mayfield, Minshew, Mariota, Darnold, Brissett, Bridgewater for about $5M or less, and spend what some fans want to give 33 year old Geno on the defense/OL, then draft one of the top QBs at #5.

Last edited:

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Not really. If we're willing to give into the contract demands of Derek Carr or Daniel Jones, neither of who are anything special, might as well just pay Geno. Otherwise, I really don't want to give into Jimmy Garappolo, Marcus Mariota, or Baker Mayfield.
By journeyman I’m talking tier 2 bargain shopping knowing that it’s a seat filler for a rookie wildcard.

No different than what they did last year, they just didn’t see a rookie they liked. Arguably Lock was that wildcard with Geno the seat filler otherwise he’s not on a one year deal.

Massari has a good list and there’s even more in Dalton, White, Heinicke, etc

Mix

Reaction score
Minshew / Bridgewater / Rookie QB

Let them spin it in training camp, winner starts.

This only if we do not sign Geno.

But the Lines need the most attention.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Guessing we’ll know if Geno is out of reach $$ wise if Lock get signed to an incentive laden deal prior to open free agency.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I think the timing and positioning is right for us to take a shot at a QB in the draft. Going all in on drafting a QB may turn out to be a terrible move and could be the worst case in the short term but the best in the long term.

It would be awesome to have Geno if things don't work out but talking about a bridge QB seems totally irrelevant, PC will use the offseason and preseason for competition and will go with the best performer. It's how Russ won the job. If the drafted QB sucks we might be in for a rough time until he develops.

We won't really know if we even need a bridge QB until we can see where we stand after game 3 of the preseason.

CPHawk

Reaction score
When the donkeys cut Wilson, we can bring him back at the vet minimum. S/

toffee

Reaction score
Questions:
  1. Have we seen the ceiling of Geno? Last season, we have 2 great WRs, even the 3rd wasn't bad, 3 very serviceable TEs, good if not very good RBs in both Penny and K9. Even the OL although not great, it's league average or slightly below that, with our center being the weak link. In short, Geno had decent supporting cast.
  2. Once get paid, will Geno play at the same level? Will wealth change him? We don't know, sure changed Wilson some.
  3. I am of the opinion or speculation that we have seen the ceiling of Geno, which is really good, but once the DC took him seriously and game planned against him, like the second half of last season, his performance levelled off if not taken a slight dive.
  4. Football God also smiled on Geno last season, some of his high risk throws weren't intercepted, will thy keep smiling?
  5. This is Geno first and likely last BIG contract, he won't be making a pay cut to stay with the Hawks. Should have signed him to 2 years on his last contract when we had all the leverage .... oh well.
Got answers?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I doubt it'll come to that, but:

1. You count on one of Young, Stroud, Richardson falling to you at 5.

2. If they don't fall to 5, you look at a Jake Haener or Aiden O'Connell.

3. You pursue a trade for Trey Lance, Justin Fields (Depending on what Bears do in the Draft), Skylar Thompson, Davis Mills, Mac Jones/Bailey Zappe.

4. Inquire about Lamar with the Ravens.

5. Look into Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins, Jacoby Brissett.

6. Draft Levis (Kidding... We want to win games)

toffee

Reaction score
purportedly, both Levi and Richardson have accuracy issues, which could be hard or impossible to fix. Our new QB coach did coached up a few excellent QBs, may be he can fix those two? At this point, Richardson seems like a QB we could have at #5, if John/Pete/OC/QB coach all feel confident that we could fix Richardson, he is the one with most upside. If we do draft Richardson, we still need a bridge QB, someone older to mentor?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
purportedly, both Levi and Richardson have accuracy issues, which could be hard or impossible to fix. Our new QB coach did coached up a few excellent QBs, may be he can fix those two? At this point, Richardson seems like a QB we could have at #5, if John/Pete/OC/QB coach all feel confident that we could fix Richardson, he is the one with most upside. If we do draft Richardson, we still need a bridge QB, someone older to mentor?

I would say AR has some variance to his accuracy but a lot of his statistical accuracy issues are due to lack of chemistry with his WR.

You’re going to hear him ripped for the Vanderbilt game but he had numerous major drops by his WRs in that game and moments where he clearly wasn’t on the same page with his target. (Partly his fault since it’s his job to make sure the offense is working properly.)

With good WR and reps, his accuracy will be fine IMO.

Levis has processing and mechanical issues. All you have to do to understand his accuracy issues is look at how many crossing routes he throws behind his WR. It’s a consistent problem going back to 2021. And it’s what turned me off of him after being high on him during my initial viewing last year.

QBs with similar issues are Baker and Daniel Jones and Winston.

Edit: I’d also be fine with Richardson starting year 1 given our run game is solid.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Minshew / Bridgewater / Rookie QB

Let them spin it in training camp, winner starts.

This only if we do not sign Geno.

But the Lines need the most attention.
Oh no! The Teddy Bridgewater carousel. Do we really want to join that tier of underachieving teams?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Journeyman and rookie. Plenty of FA QBs this year, the rookie is where it gets difficult.
This. Bring in Tannehill for a 2 year deal and draft Levis or Richardson at 5. Draft a center at 20 and all defense with the remaining picks.

Mix

Reaction score
Oh no! The Teddy Bridgewater carousel. Do we really want to join that tier of underachieving teams?
Worked with Geno

Jets, Giants, Chargers.

I tend to not base my teams success on how other teams underachieved or overachieved.