Worst case: QB

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I’m thinking Richardson. Tbh, I think he may end up being the best QB in this draft within the next few years.
You never know. Seems like a TON of people are down on the guy. The yearly couch draft experts.
I don't know much about him, but w/all the doubt, I'll be pulling for the guy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Good points, War
Is Geno the type of QB that can take over a game when it counts? That's a big maybe. They don't need check down Charlie, or a guy who just has a high completion percentage. They need someone with ice in his veins with the game on the line. But, I'm sure I'll get blasted for have even a little bit of doubt that Geno is a top tier QB.
How many Super Bowls has Rodgers run? One with a running game and defense. Have to have balance and be able to instill your will on a team.

How many Super Bowls has Tom Brady won? He has had a running game that needed to be respected, and a defense every year he has won, receivers have been quick and tough, or a good TE group. He has thrown deep balls but thats not what he is known for, its being a point guard.

Mick063

Reaction score
Fairly deep FA group of experienced quarterbacks this year. Further, if Geno doesn't sign before the draft, then the odds of selecting a QB in the draft skyrocket.

I'm good with the front office planned choice whatever it may be. Geno as a starter on a reasonable 3-4 year deal, or alternatively a rookie deal QB in competition with an experienced FA (perhaps Lock). Either way works for me.

chrispy

Reaction score
Worst case... easy to dream up gloom and doom....

What about, "What would you do?" or how would you manage to be best case...???

I think John Schneider and TeamGeno have already agreed on terms. I think there's 1 rookie QB JS is high on and willing to take high, eventhough Geno is already a Seahawk. If that QB is not available when he's slotted, keeping the Geno deal secret maximizes trade potential for #5 pick. In addition to Geno, I'd guess there will be an additional FA and rookie: 3-way competition. One of the three QBs will be traded in '24.

Getting stuck with an aging, disfunctional RCW and 0 other options is too fresh to allow JS to be backed into a corner again. My prediction is that he's already 2 steps ahead of the game.

However much brain energy we've used on the Seahawks QB situation, I guarantee JS has invested more. I think JS already has an 80% certainty of who his 3 QBs will be in Camp.

toffee

Reaction score
Worst case... easy to dream up gloom and doom....

What about, "What would you do?" or how would you manage to be best case...???

I think John Schneider and TeamGeno have already agreed on terms. I think there's 1 rookie QB JS is high on and willing to take high, eventhough Geno is already a Seahawk. If that QB is not available when he's slotted, keeping the Geno deal secret maximizes trade potential for #5 pick. In addition to Geno, I'd guess there will be an additional FA and rookie: 3-way competition. One of the three QBs will be traded in '24.

Getting stuck with an aging, disfunctional RCW and 0 other options is too fresh to allow JS to be backed into a corner again. My prediction is that he's already 2 steps ahead of the game.

However much brain energy we've used on the Seahawks QB situation, I guarantee JS has invested more. I think JS already has an 80% certainty of who his 3 QBs will be in Camp.
Best answer so far!!! Whom might that rookie QB be? Care to speculate? Under your scenario, that rookie would have to be someone who either needs or willing to sit for a year or so?

And you are soooo right, for years, I was shouting in my dark room for allowing an aging Wilson dictate our backup and future QB situation.

chrispy

Reaction score
Best answer so far!!! Whom might that rookie QB be? Care to speculate? Under your scenario, that rookie would have to be someone who either needs or willing to sit for a year or so?

And you are soooo right, for years, I was shouting in my dark room for allowing an aging Wilson dictate our backup and future QB situation.
I'm not as credible in predicting future Seahawks as many others here. I would look backward to predict JSs future plans, in general. I think he'll pick a QB later than everyone expects.

I'd point out he didn't sell the farm to draft a top rated QB the year they flew with TJack, or ever, but that year it would have been easier to justify. His best QB draft pick was not an early pick. He's comfortable with swinging for the fences knowing he'll miss at times so minimizing risk is important.

I, personally, think that the risk of drafting a QB at 5 is much higher than drafting a DT or Edge and the payoff (odds) isn't measurably better....higher risk, equal reward. There just aren't many perennial pro-bowl QBs drafted in the top 5. In other words, you're just as likely to get an immediate game changer at Edge compared to QB, or miss altogether. However, missing on a QB at #5 will change the organization. You have to rebuild the Offensive system for the QB so a bust takes years to come back from. A DL miss is LJCollier-esque and you just move on with life. A swing on a QB later in the draft has huge upside and very little risk.

I think they go Seahawks/Sparqy DL twice, OL and either LB, Safety or QB (or 2 of those with a trade back) in rounds 1 and 2.

If pressed for a name, I think that kid from TCU, Duggan, seems like someone PC would want and might be available where PC/JS would have him slotted. I'm uncomfortable predicting a name because I have a bad track record, but that's my guess. ...and lots of draft day trades... let's say 4 over the three days.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I, personally, think that the risk of drafting a QB at 5 is much higher than drafting a DT or Edge and the payoff (odds) isn't measurably better....higher risk, equal reward. There just aren't many perennial pro-bowl QBs drafted in the top 5. In other words, you're just as likely to get an immediate game changer at Edge compared to QB, or miss altogether. However, missing on a QB at #5 will change the organization. You have to rebuild the Offensive system for the QB so a bust takes years to come back from. A DL miss is LJCollier-esque and you just move on with life. A swing on a QB later in the draft has huge upside and very little risk.
Think you‘re operating from a serious misconception on top 10 QBs.

Yes they bust at about 50% as top ten picks, however, those that don’t bust make up the vast majority of tier 1 & 2 QBs. You’ll see figures at 60% or higher, but those reflect the totality of the first round. Every round after that takes an exponential plunge in producing stars.

As for top ten DL picks, they actually underperform the pick at a higher rate, but provide marginal value recovery due to multiple roster spots and rotations getting them some play time.

Rookie contracts are a great value so if your QB is a Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, or Zach Wilson you can move on pretty quickly at less than the current 1 year cost of a tier 2 vet QB.

Three of the top 4 QBs this year will fit perfectly in the existing offense (Levis even played in it his junior year). AR is another story, but even with him you’re hoping a redshirt gets him ready for a slightly modified system as opposed to going full Greg Roman.
If pressed for a name, I think that kid from TCU, Duggan, seems like someone PC would want and might be available where PC/JS would have him slotted. I'm uncomfortable predicting a name because I have a bad track record, but that's my guess. ...and lots of draft day trades... let's say 4 over the three days.
Duggan looked horrible during drills, struggling with even the short slants. Are you thinking Bennett from Georgia? He looked more athletic than expected.

Given the extra picks this year I’d support the QB double dip for a Hall, Bennett, Haener, Tune, DTR, etc

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Risk vs Reward on drafting a QB early. The way QB contracts are rolling out of control, the difference on hitting can allow a window of controllable talent to compete for a Super Bowl. That’s been a pattern for most SB teams.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Let’s say Geno and Drew Lock sign with other clubs, then what?

You need to have a back up plan in place, what is it?

Roll with the draft and see what happens?
I dont think the Hawks would let that happen. I think both Qbs want to be in Seattle. Its just a matter of money and for Lock, the opportunity to Start.

But to just go with your scenerio The Hawks would have to draft a Qb that had experience. I highly doubt they would go with a qb like Richardson in that situation. I would think they would have to trade up for stroud .

OP
OP
nwHawk

nwHawk

Reaction score
Looks like Geno is about to sign, so that clarifies the situation. His availability it underrated as well.