Long term QB plan

RiverDog

Reaction score
Geno is the present and future. For a QB he is not that old. He has 4-5 great yrs left if you believe last season wasn't a fluke. (I don't think it was.)

However, that won't stop them from drafting a QB next year if the right guy is on the board in the first 3 rounds.

PC/JS are worried about more pertinent things when their head hits the pillow at night than QBotF.

Such as the issues they have on defense.
It depends on which Geno shows up. He didn't look nearly as good at the end of the season as he did at the beginning. He took way too many chances, got away with a lot of shoulda been interceptions, and the team suffered because of it.

Is the first part of 2022 the real Geno Smith, or is it the last part?

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I agree with Fade. Geno is the plan. He's efficient enough that no rookie is going to win the job from him, so why do you want to burn draft capital on someone who's going to hold a clipboard?

Our next high-profile QB pick will be from the new HC. I believe Pete is going to ride this group into the sunset, maybe to another SB, then handpick his replacement and retire.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
It depends on which Geno shows up. He didn't look nearly as good at the end of the season as he did at the beginning. He took way too many chances, got away with a lot of shoulda been interceptions, and the team suffered because of it.

Is the first part of 2022 the real Geno Smith, or is it the last part?
The big difference between the first part and the last part of the season is that Geno stopped taking what the defense was giving him and started forcing things. As to why, my guess is he felt he needed to generate more big plays to cover for the crap defense. Hopefully, he'll learn from this and do a better job of playing within himself.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The big difference between the first part and the last part of the season is that Geno stopped taking what the defense was giving him and started forcing things. As to why, my guess is he felt he needed to generate more big plays to cover for the crap defense. Hopefully, he'll learn from this and do a better job of playing within himself.
Agreed. He was forcing the ball into some really tight windows, made some bad run/pass decisions, etc, things he wasn't doing earlier in the season. I saw a stat, on PFF maybe, where he had the most dropped interceptions in the league.

Hopefully it's something he can correct by simply going back to what was working for him earlier in the season. After the first 8-9 games, he was playing at an MVP level.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Agreed. He was forcing the ball into some really tight windows, made some bad run/pass decisions, etc, things he wasn't doing earlier in the season. I saw a stat, on PFF maybe, where he had the most dropped interceptions in the league.

Hopefully it's something he can correct by simply going back to what was working for him earlier in the season. After the first 8-9 games, he was playing at an MVP level.

Yep. Just because they were dropped, that doesn't change the fact that his decision making was iffy, often in the 2nd half of the season.

BASF

Reaction score
Perhaps the why was that we had injuries at C, RG, RT thus lowering his time to throw. Then add in the running backs being injured so teams could key more on the pass. Add in Waldron not calling different plays often and defenses were sitting on routes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Right now, it would appear that Lock is the guy for the future, though we don't know how far in the future that might be. And given that he is on a one year deal, we could lose him before Geno retires. The FO wasn't in a panic for losing out on the top 3 last draft, so they seem to think a top draft pick QB might not be necessary, much to the chagrin of many posters around here. ;)

I do not think Lock is anything more than a serviceable backup that Pete now trusts for that role.

But that's it, backup role. Any QB Pete wants to develop for being a starter would not be relegated immediately as a backup behind Geno. There'd be a real competition for starter.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Perhaps the why was that we had injuries at C, RG, RT thus lowering his time to throw. Then add in the running backs being injured so teams could key more on the pass. Add in Waldron not calling different plays often and defenses were sitting on routes.
My guess is it's a combination of all of the above. Regardless of the why, hopefully Geno learns from it.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

I remember several times during the season thinking that Geno was getting really lucky. That's fine as long as Geno learns from it and is better this season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I remember several times during the season thinking that Geno was getting really lucky. That's fine as long as Geno learns from it and is better this season.

Even a coach as conservative as Pete knows mitigated risky passes are a part of the position. All good to great QB's take risks throwing into coverage and tight windows.

If your QB is accurate and quick enough to complete 90% of those passes? Then you'll accept the 10% that are incomplete or intercepted.

Unlike Lock, who would probably have 2-3 picks a game because he takes TOO many risks. Geno was good about knowing when to take those calculated risky throws.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think Smith is the plan. Lets face it, Petes a million now and only has a few more years left (extent of Genos contract). I think defense is the priority for the remainder of Carrolls tenure (as well it should be) and let the next coach and regime worry about QB when the time comes.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Based on the draft I'd say we are setting up very similar to our SB roster. Run heavy, minimize turnovers and defend. The only questions now are, how much chemistry do we have on defense and do we have a dependable run game but with 3 promising RB's I expect that really isn't going to be a problem. It seems like we really don't need much from Geno (kinda like how we didn't need much from RW) but if the wheels do come off and we have to rely on him then we will have your answer. The long term QB plan may become a short term one real quick.

Last edited:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Even a coach as conservative as Pete knows mitigated risky passes are a part of the position. All good to great QB's take risks throwing into coverage and tight windows.

If your QB is accurate and quick enough to complete 90% of those passes? Then you'll accept the 10% that are incomplete or intercepted.

Unlike Lock, who would probably have 2-3 picks a game because he takes TOO many risks. Geno was good about knowing when to take those calculated risky throws.
For the most part, I agree. I do think that later in the season, for whatever reason, he started forcing things too much. He was probably putting additional pressure on himself, trying to cover for other problems the team was having (e.g., the poor run defense).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
For the most part, I agree. I do think that later in the season, for whatever reason, he started forcing things too much. He was probably putting additional pressure on himself, trying to cover for other problems the team was having (e.g., the poor run defense).

All of this, and a lack of a dependable run game when Walker missed games.

For all the Geno does well, and there's a lot. He is prone to press and make mistakes when he's under pressure to perform. But like I said above, it's pretty apparent with the last two drafts that Pete and John are trying their best to put a REALLY good offense around him to make sure he's at the top of his game all year.

- two drafted tackles
- elite WR drafted
- two elite RB's drafted
- good rotation of TE's
- interior O-line depth beefed up

Add in hopefully a better defensive roster to not put him down 14 pts by the 2nd quarter in too many games where he has to press and is prone to mistakes.

bsuhawk

Reaction score

For all the Geno does well, and there's a lot. He is prone to press and make mistakes when he's under pressure to perform. But like I said above, it's pretty apparent with the last two drafts that Pete and John are trying their best to put a REALLY good offense around him to make sure he's at the top of his game all year.

- two drafted tackles
- elite WR drafted
- two elite RB's drafted
- good rotation of TE's
- interior O-line depth beefed up

Add in hopefully a better defensive roster to not put him down 14 pts by the 2nd quarter in too many games where he has to press and is prone to mistakes.
I agree. There's only one Patrick Mahomes and last time I checked, he doesn't play for Seattle. The Hawks, like most of the rest of the league, need to build a complete team (that includes a good run game) and plug in a QB who makes good decisions. I need to see more, but I think Geno can be that QB. The added benefit with Geno is that he can make all the throws, including intermediate throws over the middle (a slight dig at RW). ;)

RiverDog

Reaction score
It wasn't just when Walker was out that our run game sucked. Walker had just 51 yards on 18 carries vs. the Giants, a game Geno played well in and that we won. Then there was the Bucs game in Munich, a game we lost and seemed to represent a turning point in our season. Geno had a decent game, 23-33, 275 yds, 2 TD's and 0 INT's, but Walker had just 17 yards rushing on 10 carries, one of the worst Seahawk rushing performances in franchise history. The following game, at home against the Raiders, was nearly as bad. Walker had just 26 yards on 14 carries and we lost in OT. All those efforts were all before Walker got hurt and missed a couple of games.

That's one of the reasons why I was ticked that we didn't make a better effort to improve our interior OL. The problem with our running game isn't that we don't have enough backs. We need more big uglies up front.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons why I was ticked that we didn't make a better effort to improve our interior OL. The problem with our running game isn't that we don't have enough backs. We need more big uglies up front.

Well, they did upgrade (maybe) at center with Brown, and drafted the Rimington Award winner in Olu.

But I agree, interior guards are still suspect. Hopefully with the center position improved, and year two improvements of the young tackles = much improved O-line.