Love me some Tanner McEvoy

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JustTheTip":d9vbx9a4 said:
You mean besides recover the touched blocked punt, right?

I guess. Still think he's stealing a spot.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Aros, I also like to add that Kasen "should" be the #2 receiver over Kearse.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
randomation":1nf22i1c said:
Russ Willstrong":1nf22i1c said:
He will make somebody's 53. He's the gamer/athlete profile that fits GB and Pats.

You don't give up a unicorn type player you cut Kearse and if need be Darboh and you keep both him and Kasen.

Has Darboh shown anything? I can't remember a play so far, where he has stood out.

Rat

Reaction score
Darboh isn't going anywhere. You don't cut a guy you just took in the third round unless he has been spectacularly bad or caused off-the-field issues. He has mostly just been injured and not had a ton of chances. I can't see that as a "cut your losses" type of thing.

I could easily see Williams as this year's cut that everyone is upset about. If there's a guy who becomes a victim of a numbers crunch, I think it's him.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Love what I see outta tanner. Hope he makes the 53. I honestly have no love for kearse so I wouldn't mind if he was replaced bye tanner or kasen

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3btaxnj1 said:
MontanaHawk05":3btaxnj1 said:
West TX Hawk":3btaxnj1 said:
Tanner's making this team and I find it strange many people have forgotten some of his contributions last year.

Easy to do when there's only two of them, only one of them involving being a wide receiver and that one happening courtesy of a busted coverage by a secondary so bad hell itself spat it back out.

Dude will make the roster because the 6th WR spot is one of the least important spots on it, but he's just a guy.

If a 6'6 230, 4.4 vetsatile special teams contributor is "just a guy" than I would like you to define what exactly you're looking for as a backup wr. No one said he's Julio, but he's proven he'll do whatever is asked of him and his RZ potential warrants a future with us.

That's pretty much what I said.

People are acting like he's Edelman.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McEvoy hasn't produced a whole lot, but he's also been the 6th WR on the squad. He caught 2 TD passes and averaged 15.6 yards per reception. He also had a nice long pass on a trick play.

He's also very good on ST and is one of the best blocking WR's on the team.

The thing about McEvoy is that when you watch him, he's just so smooth. He looks effortless out there, both running routes and catching passes. He gets great separation so you rarely even have to see his jumping ability, or him having to use his 6'6" frame. Add to this that he didn't even play WR in college. I only dug up QB and FS.

I will just say this: I think a guy that looks this smooth and comfortable, who finds open holes in the zone, who has this athletic profile and didn't even play full time WR in college has a much higher ceiling than Jermaine Kearse. if you held a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd go with McEvoy. We haven't seen his ceiling, but if you had to replace Kearse's production it wouldn't be hard.

Think of what McEvoy would do with Kearse's snaps. I think it would be more than Jermaine produces.

hawk45

Reaction score
Tanner is okay but the unicorn hype is ACfan level cuddling to where it does more to poison the board against the guy than make his case.
If a guy shows out fans will jump his bandwagon hard, period. The play has to speak for itself. Speculating that he'd kill it if he were given more opportunities isn't the same as the guy being a lock for the team.
And I like McEvoy and would take him over Kearse in a hot sloppy second.

DJrmb

Reaction score
People seem to think that the only competition is in preseason games. That is just plain wrong. The reason players get less or more time in preseason games is because they have earned it in practices and with their talent levels.

The player has to have the appropriate talent to deserve time with the 1's. Just because "your favorite player" isn't getting more opportunities in the preseason doesn't mean Pete Carroll is lying about "always compete" or that he isn't allowing real competition at the position. He's just already seen enough that he doesn't need to see them in those scenarios...

You don't need to see every single backup on the team play with the 1's to know they should be a backup and not a starter.

netskier

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1wurns5i said:
randomation":1wurns5i said:
Russ Willstrong":1wurns5i said:
He will make somebody's 53. He's the gamer/athlete profile that fits GB and Pats.

You don't give up a unicorn type player you cut Kearse and if need be Darboh and you keep both him and Kasen.

I think Darboh is going to come down with a convenient injury and be stashed on IR.

I agree.

netskier

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":253fpzea said:
Tanner's making this team and I find it strange many people have forgotten some of his contributions last year.

And the math isn't hard this year-keep 6: Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Kearse, Kasen, McEvoy. Darboh is IR'd. Moore and Lawler practice squad. That's it.

I agree that this is what they will do.

netskier

Reaction score
Hawks46":k6td19m5 said:
McEvoy hasn't produced a whole lot, but he's also been the 6th WR on the squad. He caught 2 TD passes and averaged 15.6 yards per reception. He also had a nice long pass on a trick play.

He's also very good on ST and is one of the best blocking WR's on the team.

The thing about McEvoy is that when you watch him, he's just so smooth. He looks effortless out there, both running routes and catching passes. He gets great separation so you rarely even have to see his jumping ability, or him having to use his 6'6" frame. Add to this that he didn't even play WR in college. I only dug up QB and FS.

I will just say this: I think a guy that looks this smooth and comfortable, who finds open holes in the zone, who has this athletic profile and didn't even play full time WR in college has a much higher ceiling than Jermaine Kearse. if you held a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd go with McEvoy. We haven't seen his ceiling, but if you had to replace Kearse's production it wouldn't be hard.

Think of what McEvoy would do with Kearse's snaps. I think it would be more than Jermaine produces.

Insightful post.

Plus, as a former QB, he understands how to attack pass defenses. Plus, as a former FS, he understands how to play pass defenses. These two mental skills may contribute to why he looks so smooth and effortless out there. His mental quickness, and physical speed and quickness, enable him to get great separation, leaving his height and jumping ability in reserve for when he fails to separate.

He can attack DBs who are both quick and tall, and they are rare, and he can dominate DBs who are either quick or tall/high jumping, but who are not both.

Latest posts