kearly":35mlojct said:
Here's what FO says:

Run blocking:

Dallas #1
Seattle #6

Pass blocking:

Dallas #19
Seattle #23

Seattle is a run first team with a run first line. Not much different than Dallas, who everyone seems so jealous of.

You always pull out this BS stat. We are #6 because we have a beast at RB. There are Rarely holes where you get to the second level. It's on 24 t o break a tackle. Then there are DL players in the backfield hitting 24 about the same time he gets the ball.

Your like the wife of a alcoholic who thinks her husband drinks because he is under a lot stress

Face it, the o line is horrid run first or not.

In the end it doesn't matter what we think. PC and JS see what they see and will address it accordingly. I'm just stating the obvious.
It's not BS. FO's OL metrics are independent of the performance of other positions. Obviously you choose not to believe them.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":3rbrbm4k said:
I am tired of seeing Russell Wilson under duress from the very SECOND the ball is snapped. Give the man Romo's line and he would be literally untouchable.

PLEEEEEASE I beg of thee...FIX OUR OL IN THE OFFSEASON.

PS...

RIP 49ers. LOL
What OL?

Mick063

Reaction score
The money is invested in the defense. The offensive line will require finding hidden gems every four years. So far, not many gems have been found.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ssr0azg said:
You can't use run and pass rankings to determine how good or bad the offensive line is! That's ridiculous!

Around 2005 Jim Mora Jr, Greg Knapp and Michael Vick had the Falcons as the #1 rush offense. Should we hire them?

The ONLY reason it's as high as it is, is because of Russell Wilson's ability to magically escape people and make yards, along with Marshawn's Lynch's ability to make something out of nothing.

Just imagine if we had a decent line, or maybe more importantly, an offensive line coach that can get the best out of the guys that we have. Greg Romans might be looking for a job soon... Tony Sporano anyone?

This offensive line sucks, just look at all the presnap penalties, at home no less! And Carpenter has turned in to a windmill. The guy is dumber than a box of rocks! He let Dial go right by him in to Russell's chest and ran out towards the LBs trying to block with his QB lying under a 300 pound DT!

Last week James ran 20 yards down the field on a pass play, and blocked no one. He continually lets his guy go by then tries to block a LB or DB that makes him look foolish. The guy is too big and plodding and should never be blocking anyone other than the guy directly in front of him.

This offensive line is going to cost us our franchise QB! To think that we have invested two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, and our best lineman is a 7th round DT converted to RG.

I put this on Tom Cable. He's paid a lot of money and has been given several picks to make this line in to something. And they are something, a windmilling, penalty-creating machine. How, after 4 years do these guys still get false starts at home? Why is Justin Britton doing cut blocks down the line when he can't seem to pull one off?

This is just a guess, but I think Cable tries to have these guys do too much and neglects the basics. He's so busy trying to coach the linemen to play LT, RT, RG, LG, and C, why not let them learn to do their damn job? Because they aren't doing it after 4 years.

I see teams all the time that throw together 3 or 4 guys and they open holes and pass block just fine. So what's the magic trick?
I wish this site had a rep system, because this post deserves some posrep.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
At the end of the day, this O-line play is not conducive to Russ playing out a long and successful career. And seeing as we're almost certainly about to invest a significant amount of our resources into him over the next few years it makes me uneasy to say the least.

I've tried to be constructive about Cable and our OL but maybe it's a little more black and white than I've been willing to acknowledge. We're missing Max, but that's nothing new - he's one of three starting linemen that simply can't be trusted to stay healthy, and our depth leaves an awful lot to be desired.

I know our focus is on the run game, and that's where Cable and our line excel (though I still think Lynch flatters them somewhat). However it's my opinion that without Lynch we will struggle to win but without Wilson we don't win.

Simply put, I don't trust Cable to protect the future of this franchise. And I have yet to see a convincing enough argument to suggest otherwise.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ivotuk":11ksdjro said:
You can't use run and pass rankings to determine how good or bad the offensive line is! That's ridiculous!

Around 2005 Jim Mora Jr, Greg Knapp and Michael Vick had the Falcons as the #1 rush offense. Should we hire them?

The ONLY reason it's as high as it is, is because of Russell Wilson's ability to magically escape people and make yards, along with Marshawn's Lynch's ability to make something out of nothing.

Just imagine if we had a decent line, or maybe more importantly, an offensive line coach that can get the best out of the guys that we have. Greg Romans might be looking for a job soon... Tony Sporano anyone?

This offensive line sucks, just look at all the presnap penalties, at home no less! And Carpenter has turned in to a windmill. The guy is dumber than a box of rocks! He let Dial go right by him in to Russell's chest and ran out towards the LBs trying to block with his QB lying under a 300 pound DT!

Last week James ran 20 yards down the field on a pass play, and blocked no one. He continually lets his guy go by then tries to block a LB or DB that makes him look foolish. The guy is too big and plodding and should never be blocking anyone other than the guy directly in front of him.

This offensive line is going to cost us our franchise QB! To think that we have invested two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, and our best lineman is a 7th round DT converted to RG.

I put this on Tom Cable. He's paid a lot of money and has been given several picks to make this line in to something. And they are something, a windmilling, penalty-creating machine. How, after 4 years do these guys still get false starts at home? Why is Justin Britton doing cut blocks down the line when he can't seem to pull one off?

This is just a guess, but I think Cable tries to have these guys do too much and neglects the basics. He's so busy trying to coach the linemen to play LT, RT, RG, LG, and C, why not let them learn to do their damn job? Because they aren't doing it after 4 years.

I see teams all the time that throw together 3 or 4 guys and they open holes and pass block just fine. So what's the magic trick?
So how do you really feel?............LOL

I also think Carp sucks and his assignments need to be simplified so he's blocking the guy directly in front of him.
Britt has a long ways to go in pass pro and I question whether he'll ever get there. May need to be moved to LG in the offseason.

Dallas o-line: I also have watched them 5-6 times this year too (who hasn't? they're on a national game at least every other week...........barf) and I agree with folks here that say their line is quite a bit better than ours, especially at pass pro.

Hawks are about to spend 20 per year on a guy that's 5'10" and though he's compact there's a limit to the number of hard hits a guy his size can take. Furthermore, his elusiveness will deteriorate as he gets a bit older and as that happens he will become more and more of a pocket passer. In order for that to be successful, he will need an actual pocket to throw from. And still further, Beast has maybe one more season in a Hawks uniform and though myself I think Michael has a chance to be an every down back, he will need at least some creases to slip through to maximize his top talent which appears to be first step explosiveness.

Not sure if Cable is the problem or drafting the wrong guys or what, but I agree there needs to be improvement in this unit going forward. Certainly Russ at times moves into pressure or holds the ball too long as has been pointed out here on this site. But, his pass pro can be rough and overall is below average IMO, especially against NFC West foes. Frisco's defensive line is still really good despite the fall off in other areas of their team. The NFC West overall has some beastly d-lines, all the more reason to work hard to improve our o-line.

Largent80

Reaction score
HawkerD":1364z3qe said:
You always pull out this BS stat. We are #6 because we have a beast at RB. There are Rarely holes where you get to the second level. It's on 24 t o break a tackle. Then there are DL players in the backfield hitting 24 about the same time he gets the ball.

Your like the wife of a alcoholic who thinks her husband drinks because he is under a lot stress

I hate posts like this. Why is it a BS stat?...because Marshawn breaks tackles?. Bullshit, it takes blocks to get to the 2nd level despite what the RB does.

Plus, you are attacking a respected poster on this forum, which is a classic example of why he quit writing his awesome article. Grow up.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":f07yu15u said:
ivotuk":f07yu15u said:
And Carpenter has turned in to a windmill. The guy is dumber than a box of rocks! He let Dial go right by him in to Russell's chest and ran out towards the LBs trying to block with his QB lying under a 300 pound DT!

I also think Carp sucks and his assignments need to be simplified so he's blocking the guy directly in front of him.
I'll watch again, but on first look it appeared that Carp tried to pass off the guy in front of him to Okung – who also had a guy directly in front of him. So either Carp doesn't know how football works or he was running a different play than everyone else. A play that doesn't require blocking defenders evidently.

:34853_doh:

idahawks

Reaction score
ivotuk":2fy3we55 said:

Ivotuk is right. our o-line is terrible. It shows when there are guys running untouched at Wilson. Which happened several times yesterday. Constant false start penalties at home. These guys are a joke, doesn't cable have someone on the practice squad that can at least provide some competition. Lynch is hit in the backfield all the time. He has to break three tackles to get to the line of scrimmage most of the time. If he had our 2005 o line he'd have 2000 yards. I'm actually glad when an olineman gets hurt because I figure our back up is probably better, definitely can't be any worse.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Timberhawk":2no22987 said:
Totally agree. Worried about Arizona's line next week. Probably the only way they stay close is by putting massive pressure on Wilson. Then the Rams the week after. Hope Unger is back, he does a better job of calling out Blitzes which should help.

Hope Okung is okay. What the heck is a chest wall bruise?

Go Hawks!

This is where Bevell needs to earn his pay. It's obvious that there are some issues with pass blocking. It will be more so against AZ and the STL. He has to compensate in some way with the play creation or playcalling. At some point it's no longer about the OL, but about the plays. Find a way to assist or play against the weakness.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1uya12er said:

Yep.

Pre-snap penalties are a direct result of a lack of focus and poor preparation, which lies at Cable's feet.

It is getting really hard for me to know rather to hate Bevell's play calling, or rather the lack of execution is due to Cable's lack of effective line coaching.

And sadly, I was happier with Carpenter out. How did I know he was back? Penalties.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ChiefHawk":1lssskxr said:
Pre-snap penalties are a direct result of a lack of focus and poor preparation, which lies at Cable's feet..

If it was Cable's fault, they'd ALL be doing it. It's the same idiots EVERY game. Okung must have a proposition bet in Vegas for consecutive games with a false start, cause he's BRUTAL.

This is not preparation, it's 100% focus, and that's on the player. What's Cable suppose to do, take over Okung's brain like Minority Report or something?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
If the O-line had a new coach this year and they were still playing this bad we would be saying he's worse than Cable, fire him, just saying.

Largent80

Reaction score
It is totally on each player to stay put until the ball moves, it is as fundamental as it gets.

To be making these penalties in our 14th game is insane. We are making 3rd and short into 3rd and long way too many times. It changes the game plan, and undermines the offense.

Seriously, how many reps have these guys had going all the way back to May?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Think about this, this line is comprised of 2- 1st round pick and 2- 2nd round picks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":14snd503 said:
It's really, REALLY hard to have a team with completely awesome players at every position. We already have way higher than average players at quarterback, running back, special teams, and all over the defense.

That said, I don't think it's too much to ask to even hope for mediocre at the O-line positions. Geez, it's not like it's an important set of positions.

That said, we did win it all last year with the #32 ranked offensive line. If that exact thing happens again, I'll take it and never complain about them again. Much.

I agree with your first comment. We have a lot of money tied up in our defense and that isn't going to change. Now we have to sign Wilson to a big contract as well, so the money isn't going to be there to grab elite OL.

Carpenter seems to have hit his ceiling. He has moments of brilliance, followed by moments of idiocy. Problem I have with Carp is, he just flat out misses a lot of blocking assignments, and just whiffs on others. Sure, when he can get a hold of a guy, that guy is done but I don't think the immediate inside pressure is worth what he brings.

I also knew I'd see the second comment a lot. Here's the thing, Giacommini is a crap ton better than Britt is. Sure, he's a rook, but if he doesn't show improvement next year, we have to move on. Yes, that quickly; he's one of the worst pass blocking RT's in the league. Yesterday, he was getting killed immediately. He was either giving up a sack, or holding Brooks. Brooks is a good player; I like him as a pass rusher...but he's not elite by any means.

Honestly, Sweezy isn't much better. I've been bitching about his pass pro for 2 years and it hasn't markedly improved in that time, which means it likely won't. We can't have Russ getting blown up as soon as he hits his drop, unless we'd all like to experience what AZ is right now. That or try to prove the theory that anyone at QB can win with this team, and that we can win a SB with TJack.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
They did play very well in the run game yesterday, which truth be told, may have won us the game.

It was certainly ugly at times in pass-pro. Brooks outplayed Britt in passing situations for sure. All that being said, Seattle's line certainly outplayed SF's line. They got what they wanted in the run game, and Aldon Smith (0 sacks, 0 hits) was largely held quiet. On the flip side, Seattle had Kaepernick on his back all day and was able to make adjustments to stuff SF's rush attack.

I don't really see reason to panic with regard to our line. They are in large part responsible for one of the best running offenses in recent league history.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1nh1urwv said:
It is totally on each player to stay put until the ball moves, it is as fundamental as it gets.

To be making these penalties in our 14th game is insane. We are making 3rd and short into 3rd and long way too many times. It changes the game plan, and undermines the offense.

Seriously, how many reps have these guys had going all the way back to May?

This, to me, has had more negative impact on our offense this season than the poor pass pro... and that's saying something.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":3k9hxyej said:
I also knew I'd see the second comment a lot. Here's the thing, Giacommini is a crap ton better than Britt is.

They're ready to run Breno out of town in NY, and people are predicting he's going to be cut. So not so sure about your statement.

At least with Britt, his upside validates him playing because he's only a rookie and should continue to improve. Breno was as good as he's ever going to get, and seeing him play this year says his best years are behind him.

I'm OK with Britt, as he's a REALLY good run blocker already, so pass pro should only get better and better.