LT a top 10 position

Mase

Reaction score
I am sure this has been brought up before, but with tonights pick of Charles Cross, I thought it was interesting to consider. I think history would suggest that to find a topflight left tackle, you really need to get one in the top ten picks. I was considering the best left tackles of the last few years, and feel like not many All timers slip out of the top ten. You hear about Round 3 and Round 6 QBs who pan out, but not a lot of LTs. Now it's late, so I am probably forgetting some guys, but I threw together a quick list of the top 10 left tackles of the last 25 years. Only one wasn't a top ten pick.

Walter Jones. 6th
Jonathan Ogden. 4th
Jim Thomas. 3rd
Willie Roaf. 8th
Orlando Pace. 1st
Trent Williams. 4th
Tony Boselli. 2nd
Tyron Smith. 9th
Ronnie Stanley. 6th
Jason Peters. The one guy that counters the argument as he was an undrafted free agent by Buffalo.

I am not saying Cross is in this league, as he will need to play in an adult offense for a while to know, but I do like the technique and footwork. So let's hope he becomes the best left tackle Seattle has ever had.... Just kidding, let's not be absurd, we'll just hope he becomes the second best left tackle Seattle has ever had.

- Mase

RunDownhill

Reaction score
Of the 4 most important positions of value, the 4 being QB, LT, DE, and CB; good QBs and LTs are the hardest to hit on in the draft. So, looking more into Cross, I am ecstatic we took him over any of the available DE/OLB at #9. I'm extremely confident we got our LT for the next 10+ years.

We are still in position to get a legit plug and play pass rusher in the 2nd round. Whereas there are not any legit LT prospects left in this draft.