Luke and Shead coming back

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Anthony!":xqeisa7y said:
Despite what a select few in here think this was a good move that provides flexibility. Willson was targeted 21 times and 2 tds. Given how few the targets are and yet 2 tds, I am not sure how this is underperforming he was our #2 TE in a system where you had 2 players with over 900 yards. He was tied for the 3rd most receiving TDs and he had the second highest reception to td ratio. So some here, really need to let their personal biases away.

He had his worst year as a pro (in yards/receptions) by far last year, which is what Tical is referring to.

I think he's fine as competition to the 2nd (or 3rd) TE.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Once again, 1 year contracts for both.

It's becoming a leaguewise thing as teams start to massage deals to increase their FA turnover to improve their opportunities for compensatory picks.

ringless

Reaction score
I get the Willson signing and 3m for a vet, who knows your system and team really isn't much considering it's likely incentivized.

But the Shead signing I don't get because it's a 1yr deal. He just tore his ACL January 14th. It's unlikely he even sees the field this season. If he had torn it in lets say October then I'd think he'd have a chance to come back, but January seems extremely unlikely.

Is Seattle just going to end up paying him 700k or so for the year, and letting him become a UFA again next off-season? I don't get it at all. He won't contribute this season, he will not be ready to play at any point during the season. This seemed like a bad move, that likely didn't cost a lot. It still chips away at some of the cap.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ia01kva said:
Tical21":1ia01kva said:
Uncle Si":1ia01kva said:
Tical21":1ia01kva said:
Does it matter? You can find bad TE's anywhere. Brandon Williams. Whatever TE's are available in the 6th round of the draft. Maybe a guy you drafted pretty high last year even? It doesn't matter. When a player you drafted underperforms and never becomes better than mediocre or worse, you don't pay that player and keep him around, period. It prevents you from moving forward and improving. It sets a bad precedent as well. You can't reward guys for that. Instead of cleaning house and moving away from their bad underperformers, they are paying them. That is not what good franchises do, I'm sorry.

I just really for the life of me cannot believe we are really here celebrating the re-signing of a really bad football player. It's a bad sign and a bad trend.

Of course it matters. That's why they signed him.

This move does not preclude them taking another TE in the draft.
That's my disagreement. I don't think that's why they signed him. I think they signed him primarily because Pete has grown attached to the kid.

If you were right Tical, then why'd we use a 3rd round pick on Vannett last year?

What everyone's trying to tell you is this doesn't change anything as far as addressing our needs in the draft, of which TE is still one of them. We can't overpay for another TE while Graham is still on the roster, so there's nothing left to do but resign Willson and continue to look for TE's in the draft.

You're not going to get a starter for 500k, or even 2-3M.

I don't think he's staying the hawks could get a starter, just better competition for the 2nd/3rd TE. I get that.. but for what the hawks just gave Willson it's not really dumping money into sentiment. He could literally be the best available TE for that salary

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Dislike both, just as I did Kearse last year. The roster spot itself is more valuable. We need to have new players coming in that replace older more expensive ones with tapped out potential.

Strong draft for both CB and TE. I won't say it is a bad move until guantees are released.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Luke Willson so so incredibly underrated by many fans.

He's a terrific culture fit, great athlete, tough as hell. And he's improved in every aspect of his game each season.

So glad we resigned him over acquiring a guy like Cook.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Shead has flashed CB2 potential and success, but I assume his deal is going to be really team friendly considering his injury v. ATL. He's been one of the most versatile DBs on our roster for years now and I think he's a really valuable RCB for us if he gets right. If he comes back and has a quality end of the season, he could be setting himself up for a nice little couple year contract with us or someone else in the league.

Willson is a good depth signing as long as the contract is structured well. We know what we have with him, even if it's not that much. I think PC/JS were expecting a little more development out of Luke than he's shown at this point. It's always baffled me how good his combine/workout numbers were coming out of college because, IMO, he is not a fluid athlete at all. Stiffness and tightness all over his body when he's running routes, attempting to catch passes and in open space. Doesn't mean I don't like the guy or that I don't think he's serviceable (he is), but I think this is more of a "this is our floor" depth signing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ringless":8l4y0a0x said:
I get the Willson signing and 3m for a vet, who knows your system and team really isn't much considering it's likely incentivized.

But the Shead signing I don't get because it's a 1yr deal. He just tore his ACL January 14th. It's unlikely he even sees the field this season. If he had torn it in lets say October then I'd think he'd have a chance to come back, but January seems extremely unlikely.

Is Seattle just going to end up paying him 700k or so for the year, and letting him become a UFA again next off-season? I don't get it at all. He won't contribute this season, he will not be ready to play at any point during the season. This seemed like a bad move, that likely didn't cost a lot. It still chips away at some of the cap.

Shead is a gamble for sure, but since we didn't even tender him the 1.8M UFA offer, my guess is this one year deal is not a lot of money.

What it speaks to is how utterly desperate we are at CB, because even if we draft a couple corners, still means either Thorpe or a rookie is going into the season starting.

So I can see why we took a calculated risk to see if Shead can come back mid season and contribute earning a bigger one year deal going into 2018. No reason just to cut him loose when we have no idea who's playing opposite Sherman at this point in time.

Mojambo

Reaction score
ringless":35h1njka said:

The guy went down battling for you in a playoff game. He's been a terrific teammate and has bought into the program completely. They love his make-up.

This is about doing right for a guy who has done right for you. Players notice this kind of stuff. The respect it buys you means something.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":2v4o28rj said:
That's my disagreement. I don't think that's why they signed him. I think they signed him primarily because Pete has grown attached to the kid.

You don't really have any way to prove that.

You're asking the Seahawks to proceed on an incredibly vague "let's be cutthroat" principle here, across the board with every player, just so you can feel like your team is coached by Bill Belichick. In reality, this is a decent role-player (you're undervaluing him) who knows our system being signed to a relatively low contract so that we can have some freedom in the draft. I'd be a lot more annoyed with Shead if I were you, but he got even less.

Jville

Reaction score
ringless":k3xq2l9g said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/842790175474376706[/tweet]

It's just what the Seahawks do ......... the right thing!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":37j0qvh9 said:
Anthony!":37j0qvh9 said:
Despite what a select few in here think this was a good move that provides flexibility. Willson was targeted 21 times and 2 tds. Given how few the targets are and yet 2 tds, I am not sure how this is underperforming he was our #2 TE in a system where you had 2 players with over 900 yards. He was tied for the 3rd most receiving TDs and he had the second highest reception to td ratio. So some here, really need to let their personal biases away.

He had his worst year as a pro (in yards/receptions) by far last year, which is what Tical is referring to.

I think that is an opinion the difference last year was lack of opportunities I mean 21 targets all year is not much. Alot of that was because of Graham being healthy and playing really well. You can just say he had his worst year without looking at what and why things actually happened.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1r7jc9m1 said:
I don't think he's staying the hawks could get a starter, just better competition for the 2nd/3rd TE. I get that.. but for what the hawks just gave Willson it's not really dumping money into sentiment. He could literally be the best available TE for that salary

Like you said, who?

Cook just signed for 12.2M for two years. None of the other lower tier free agent TE's are any better than Willson, and it's a deep draft.

So no reason to spend precious cap money of which we have little left on someone that isn't any better than Willson, especially when this is a deep TE draft.

Draft another TE, keep Willson for another year and go into next year hopefully with two young TE's ready to take over if Graham is gone.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ocqxjvw said:
Uncle Si":1ocqxjvw said:
Anthony!":1ocqxjvw said:

I think that is an opinion the difference last year was lack of opportunities I mean 21 targets all year is not much. Alot of that was because of Graham being healthy and playing really well. You can just say he had his worst year without looking at what and why things actually happened.
And Luke missed 4 or 5 games with injury, further cutting into his targets.

Jville

Reaction score
I can't believe I just woke up.

I've been out with this never ending head & chest cold ...... or what ever it is.

Great news to wake up to.

Outstanding signings.

Terrific off season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ringless":14qyj9in said:

Why won't he be able to come back?

it's 6-9 months to returning to the field...

ringless

Reaction score
Sheil Kapida reporting 1 year, 1.5 million for Shead with 1m Gtd.

Jville

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":18zw3e24 said:
Anthony!":18zw3e24 said:
Uncle Si":18zw3e24 said:
Anthony!":18zw3e24 said:

And Luke missed 4 or 5 games with injury, further cutting into his targets.

That's right he was cut down by friendly fire. By someone who was cut from he team. IIRC

Hyak

Reaction score
I think both of these signings are reasonable, low risk moves. You need depth at both spots.

The Joeckel and Lacy signings are far more open to criticism IMO albeit those also are low risk/high reward deals.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1wqwtt5r said:
Once again, 1 year contracts for both.

It's becoming a leaguewise thing as teams start to massage deals to increase their FA turnover to improve their opportunities for compensatory picks.

Literally, the smartest thing said in this thread.