Lynch: The writing was on the wall

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Some of you are asking that this thread "take direction". As if it's going to take sides with Lynch or Bevell.

I'm not taking sides with either. The "direction" of this thread is right in the title: The writing was on the wall. There's been a rift between Lynch and the coaches for a long time and we as fans kept blowing it off.

From the intense knee jerk reactions I'm getting on this thread, I see that many fans are still desperately trying to blow it off.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1i63r991 said:
Some of you are asking that this thread "take direction". As if it's going to take sides with Lynch or Bevell.

I'm not taking sides with either. The "direction" of this thread is right in the title: The writing was on the wall. There's been a rift between Lynch and the coaches for a long time and we as fans kept blowing it off.

From the intense knee jerk reactions I'm getting on this thread, I see that many fans are still desperately trying to blow it off.

You keep saying it but nobody has explained why, if the team or coaches have been on the outs with Lynch since before this season, why did the team make concessions to get him into camp? If they wanted him gone so badly, why is he here?

Is Lynch a handful? Yea. Does he probably rub some people the wrong way? I'm sure he does. Does his ability still outweigh any of that? It must or he wouldn't have been re-signed.

John and Pete have a plan in place. That plan has likely never included Lynch past this season. It's not news and it has nothing to do with any off field issues that may or may not exist. It just is what it is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":3bg2g5g7 said:
You keep saying it but nobody has explained why, if the team or coaches have been on the outs with Lynch since before this season, why did the team make concessions to get him into camp? If they wanted him gone so badly, why is he here? .

Cause he's REALLY REALLY good.

It's easy to get rid of bad players.

Largent80

Reaction score
I told my wife during the game while wearing my Lynch jersey, and she actually beat me to the punch..."why isn't Beast in there?" I said, obviously they want to see what they have after 2 years, and Turbin is hitting his stride.

Beasts body language looked like @San Diego. I had my binocs right on him on the sideline and it looked like that was the LAST place he wanted to be.

I saw some of that same look yesterday. I also saw him fly down the field to try and catch dude running for what could have been a TD.

He is impossible to read. I minute he is Beast Babysitter, the next, a quiet, leave me alone All bout that action guy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2hj6zcmo said:
DavidSeven":2hj6zcmo said:
SalishHawkFan":2hj6zcmo said:
Did Bevell throw deep to Harvin? Nope. First game with the Jets they go deep to Harvin.

Where did that get them? Harvin loses track of the ball in mid-air and the resulting INT costs Geno Smith his job. Yesterday, Harvin goes 3-for-9 on targets for meager yardage and still looks better coming out of the backfield. Besides his ability to run fast, what evidence has any of us seen (in college, Minnesota, or Seattle) that Harvin is a legitimate deep threat player?
No one is trying to boost up Harvin here. But every NFL player with that speed is a legitimate deep threat. The point was, it was Bevell who wasn't using Harving to go deep. First thing the Jets did, succeed or fail isn't the point, was go deep,.

Bevell's excuse not to go deep? Harvin never indicated a desire to do so. Since when is it up to Harvin to volunteer what plays he's willing to do? It's Bevell's job to get the most out of his players and use them appropriately. Not wait for them to volunteer.

I don't agree with that at all. There have been plenty of blazing fast guys who couldn't do a thing at the NFL level. If other receivers are out-competing Harvin on deep routes in practice, why would we hand those opportunities over to Harvin?

Do you know that he can get off a jam? That he can run through his routes properly? That he has the requisite ball skills? Harvin's inability to challenge teams deep isn't a new concept. That's the story on him.

Here's what The Daily Norseman's (Vikings equivalent of FieldGulls) head blogger had to say about Harvin last week:

Q: What type of receiver was Percy Harvin in Minnesota?
Gates: "He's the type of receiver where if you gave him the ball in space, he's dangerous. He wasn't really been known as a great route runner. From everything we've seen so far in his short time in Seattle, he's still not a great route runner. He's one of those guys you have to get him the ball in creative ways.

You can line him up in the backfield, give him the ball on an end-around or jet sweep. He's pretty good int he short passing game. His route running just hasn't been refined and he's going to struggle with anything longer than that until that sort of thing changes."

Q: Was he, or has he, been the type of player that can take the top off a defense?
Gates: "Basically, he's the kind of guy you need to get the ball to in space. When you line him up outside, he had a tendency to be jammed at the line. He had a few passes where he'd get deep, but that's not really the primary part of his game. You need to line him up outside with quick screens, bubble screens and use him in the short passing game. He has the potential, I think, to be able to take the top off a defense with his speed and what not, but until he's able to get off the jam at the line of scrimmage, he's not going to be that type of guy."

So, the guy whose job it was to watch him closely for four seasons says he isn't a deep threat. His coaches at Florida, Minnesota and Seattle didn't think he was a deep threat. Could it be that the coaches could see that in practice and tried to get him involved in other, more useful ways?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It's funny how people become so obsessed with word choice that they ignore the spirit of the post. If you had preferred the word "joking" to "jawing," this wouldn't even be an issue.

Of course, Lynch wants more carries. He's a competitor.

The question is what would our record be this season had Bevell made a concerted effort to get Lynch more carries on first and second down? When that did happen, Lynch had 20+ carries against Denver and Green Bay, our two most impressive wins of the season.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":37e12phd said:
It's funny how people become so obsessed with word choice that they ignore the spirit of the post. If you had preferred the word "joking" to "jawing," this wouldn't even be an issue.

The question is what would our record be this season had Bevell made a concerted effort to get Lynch more carries on first and second down? When that did happen, Lynch had 20+ carries against Denver and Green Bay, our two most impressive wins of the season.

Jawing implies friction/conflict.

Joking does not.

Words matter.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":29z546j9 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":29z546j9 said:
Wow... "Jawing".

It just shows how easy it is to make up stuff and spin things into what fits your narrative.

Their is a lot of negative space, and people are filling it with BS.

I wonder if you collaborated with Marvin49 on this post.
Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Like I said, Beast is just dripping with sarcasm in that video. Where do you think that whole "Can we score more points? Just checking?" Came from?

He's calling out Pete for being so conservative on offense. Well Pete wasn't so conservative in the Super Bowl, but this was early on, 15-0. Lynch had had issues with the offensive play calling throughout the season.

Also, to clarify... I was in a Pro-Lynch trade camp when he was holding out... IF he was going to be a problem or wasn't going to give 100% effort.

With that said, I just think you're clearly are reaching with that SoundFX and obviously spinning it to conform to your narrative. Its BS.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
volsunghawk":4ljqtpmg said:
hawknation2014":4ljqtpmg said:

Joking does not.

Words matter.

That is true; it was a poor word choice in the OP. So he made a mistake: does that negate the spirit of the post, which is that Lynch probably wants more carries? I don't think so.

Except in the GB and Denver games, Bevell so far has not found a way to get him those carries. 14 carries for Lynch vs. 32 passes for Wilson (plus six scrambles) is not a balanced offensive attack. If they hope to achieve the goal of a balanced offensive attack, then they need to find a way to get Lynch the ball more on first and second down. When they have succeeded in doing that, it has also benefitted the offense by opening up the passing game downfield.

As I discussed in the other thread, getting Lynch more carries on first and/or second down is the best way to avoid 3rd and long situations. That is because being a pass-first team puts inordinate stress on an offensive line that is better at run blocking than they are in pass pro.

byau

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2ku55qjd said:
volsunghawk":2ku55qjd said:
please... let's retire that stupid "Denial isn't just a river in Egypt" cliche. It's stupid.

Yes.

"Well, duh, considering the Nile is the longest river in the world common sense would say it's not just a river in Egypt. It also servers the Sudan, Uganda, and Tanzania, but why would you even bring that up when we're talking about something else not related to rivers and Egypt unless you just happen to spout trivial non-related incomplete random facts for no good reason while you're trying to make a point in which case maybe you should get that checked out although I would say it would make a lot of sense then that your arguments do not make sense because perhaps you are likely supporting them with other trivial non-related incomplete random facts in your head not realizing that those facts don't relate to the debate at hand so in this instance now knowing this affliction of yours maybe I'll give you a pass and we can *agree* to *disagree* nudge nudge wink wink if you know what I mean..."

Okay, I'm not usually that cheeky and the cliche doesn't bother me *that* much, but one time I was in a particularly snarky mood and in an argument with someone and they pulled the "Denial" thing on me and I just kinda went on him for a bit.

I'm sure I was the one frowned upon after that, but hey it felt good.

Umm....

back to your regularly scheduled idling-hands-discussion on trading Lynch.

p.s. I agree, media blown it out of proportion, maybe some truth to it, and every media outlet will site the one source who originally wrote it, hey when you win the SB you are under media scrutiny, and hopefully the Seahawks don't listen and I think Lynch plays out the year no problem.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":1727h50w said:
I think there is too much reporting going on for this to be nothing, plus I trust Mort, who cited team sources.

I doubt we'll see Lynch traded this week. But I did find it interesting yesterday how Michael and Turbin got a lot of snaps while Lynch finished with just 14 carries. The Seahawks are taking inventory right now.

Lynch is maybe my all time favorite Hawk at this point. I hope things can be worked out. But if not, in PC/JS I trust.

Yea, and if they haven't taken inventory, they really need to soon.

Initial reports out of Seattle was that Harvin and Lynch were both headaches and dealing with Harvin on top of Lynch was much more difficult. They jettisoned Harvin so they could deal with Lynch, and it's sounding like Lynch has upped his level of difficulty in dealing with him. One could theorize that Lynch and Harvin were teaming up to cause trouble in the locker room, and Lynch is the more valuable player, so Harvin went bye bye.

I have issues with our play calling this year as well. We get up by 14 points and the play calling goes all to hell; it's like the Hawks think that 14 points is insurmountable. We honestly need to feed Lynch, feed him until he can't handle it anymore and he begs for time off. Then, you've taken the high road and given him what he wants, so you can then play Turbin and Michael more and see what you have.

If they really do think that we're done with Lynch, then we need to be done managing him. Ride that horse all the way to the ground.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
volsunghawk":166dzi82 said:
hawknation2014":166dzi82 said:

Joking does not.

Words matter.

The point of the thread is that there is conflict, friction. News reports are that there is conflict, friction.

Why on EARTH would you take exception with a completely logical usage of the word?

Oh wait, Fanboyz Syndrome. I get it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":327g65w7 said:
volsunghawk":327g65w7 said:
hawknation2014":327g65w7 said:

Joking does not.

Words matter.

The point of the thread is that there is conflict, friction. News reports are that there is conflict, friction.

Why on EARTH would you take exception with a completely logical usage of the word?

In the context of the interaction between Lynch and Carroll in the SB footage, I absolutely take exception. I disagree with you regarding the interpretation of that interaction, and it doesn't require being a "fanboy" to do so. So get over your condescending self.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2ks9sswt said:
volsunghawk":2ks9sswt said:
hawknation2014":2ks9sswt said:

Joking does not.

Words matter.

That is true; it was a poor word choice in the OP. So he made a mistake: does that negate the spirit of the post, which is that Lynch probably wants more carries? I don't think so.

Except in the GB and Denver games, Bevell so far has not found a way to get him those carries. 14 carries for Lynch vs. 32 passes for Wilson (plus six scrambles) is not a balanced offensive attack. If they hope to achieve the goal of a balanced offensive attack, then they need to find a way to get Lynch the ball more on first and second down. When they have succeeded in doing that, it has also benefitted the offense by opening up the passing game downfield.

As I discussed in the other thread, getting Lynch more carries on first and/or second down is the best way to avoid 3rd and long situations. That is because being a pass-first team puts inordinate stress on an offensive line that is better at run blocking than they are in pass pro.
It's something that runs deeper than just getting him more carries. This goes back to early last season when he was flipping off the sidelines and every fan in the stadium and online was upset that they didn't give Lynch the ball.

The POINT isn't Lynch is upset about not getting enough carries, the POINT - and this is for Pandion, imagine a HUGE pointy hammer slamming down on your seemingly thick skull, though I know you're more intelligent than that - is that this rift has been right there in our faces ALL ALONG and these reports leaking out really should have come as no surprise to any of us.

How thick headed do some of you people have to be?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2d9qva2y said:
hawknation2014":2d9qva2y said:
volsunghawk":2d9qva2y said:
hawknation2014":2d9qva2y said:

Joking does not.

Words matter.

It's something that runs deeper than just getting him more carries. This goes back to early last season when he was flipping off the sidelines and every fan in the stadium and online was upset that they didn't give Lynch the ball.

The POINT isn't Lynch is upset about not getting enough carries, the POINT - and this is for Pandion, imagine a HUGE pointy hammer slamming down on your seemingly thick skull, though I know you're more intelligent than that - is that this rift has been right there in our faces ALL ALONG and these reports leaking out really should have come as no surprise to any of us.

How thick headed do some of you people have to be?

Speaking of thick-headed, remember when you went to bat for Flynn so desperately back in 2012? Ah, good times.

*this post brought to you by the irritation caused by a poster deciding to start insulting other people who may disagree with him*

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":rtdx8e7x said:
volsunghawk":rtdx8e7x said:
hawknation2014":rtdx8e7x said:

Joking does not.

Words matter.

As you said in the OP, Lynch was being sarcastic with his comments during the Super Bowl blowout; he was not being vociferous. The standard definition of "jawing" requires vociferousness.

The reports of Lynch refusing to get on the team bus after the Harvin trade are evidence of friction. The extended holdout was maybe evidence of friction. Lynch flipping the bird was possible evidence of friction. But that joke during the Super Bowl doesn't really evidence friction, it could evidence that Lynch in general wants more carries.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":2gcpiz0c said:
I think there is too much reporting going on for this to be nothing, plus I trust Mort, who cited team sources.

I doubt we'll see Lynch traded this week. But I did find it interesting yesterday how Michael and Turbin got a lot of snaps while Lynch finished with just 14 carries. The Seahawks are taking inventory right now.

Lynch is maybe my all time favorite Hawk at this point. I hope things can be worked out. But if not, in PC/JS I trust.

Agree - either they were taking inventory or they were trying to send the message they stated already before the season "running back by committe works here and we don't need Lynch"

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawknation2014":31a35c6i said:
As you said in the OP, Lynch was being sarcastic with his comments during the Super Bowl blowout; he was not being vociferous. The standard definition of "jawing" requires vociferousness.

The reports of Lynch refusing to get on the team bus after the Harvin trade are evidence of friction. The extended holdout was maybe evidence of friction. Lynch flipping the bird was possible evidence of friction. But that joke during the Super Bowl doesn't really evidence friction, it could evidence that Lynch in general wants more carries.
Are we only going to allow each persons personal definition of words now? As I posted way further up, the Urban Dictionary defines Jawing:

mouthin off, bein cheaky or gloating over a win.

Was Lynch being Cheaky? YES
Was he gloating over a win? A little too early to be doing that, but yeah, kinda.

He was JAWING.

Live with it.