Lynch: The writing was on the wall

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3adyha91 said:
hawknation2014":3adyha91 said:
As you said in the OP, Lynch was being sarcastic with his comments during the Super Bowl blowout; he was not being vociferous. The standard definition of "jawing" requires vociferousness.

The reports of Lynch refusing to get on the team bus after the Harvin trade are evidence of friction. The extended holdout was maybe evidence of friction. Lynch flipping the bird was possible evidence of friction. But that joke during the Super Bowl doesn't really evidence friction, it could evidence that Lynch in general wants more carries.
Are we only going to allow each persons personal definition of words now? As I posted way further up, the Urban Dictionary defines Jawing:

mouthin off, bein cheaky or gloating over a win.

Was Lynch being Cheaky? YES
Was he gloating over a win? A little too early to be doing that, but yeah, kinda.

He was JAWING.

Live with it.

Not to be a dick, but UD is not the best source for definitions because it's even less moderated than wikipedia. That particular UD definition is too broad, IMO.

Jawing is used more specifically to describe a kind of vociferous trash talk. Two people on the same team would not usually be described as "jawing" at one another during a blowout win.

if you had just used a word like "razzing," "ribbing," "teasing" or "joking," everything else in your OP would hold true. Maybe the biggest problem with your use of the word "jawing" is that it makes the comments sound serious, rather than lighthearted or jokey.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly, though even if the Seahawks got great value for Lynch.

I doubt the Seahawks trade him, if a Harvin trade so called created a rift in the locker-room, what effect do you think losing Lynch will have on the team?

Lynch is a guy everyone 100% appreciates and respects.

Harvin probably wasn't so popular.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
To all you fire Bevell types. Do you really think Bevell operates in a vacuum? Do you not think PC and Cable might be endorsing the play calling? Whatever fault you might find in the play calling you have to understand that PC and Cable has OK'ed the game plan. It's a rather simple thing to go after the guy that calls the plays during the game but in truth the scripted game plan is a sanctioned document and can be altered during the game by PC.

PC fired, after only after one year, Bevell's predecessor because he was a hard headed type not willing to adapt. I'm sure Bevell understands that.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3rgnsvr5 said:
To all you fire Bevell types. Do you really think Bevell operates in a vacuum? Do you not think PC and Cable might be endorsing the play calling? Whatever fault you might find in the play calling you have to understand that PC and Cable has OK'ed the game plan. It's a rather simple thing to go after the guy that calls the plays during the game but in truth the scripted game plan is a sanctioned document and can be altered during the game by PC.

PC fired, after only after one year, Bevell's predecessor because he was a hard headed type not willing to adapt. I'm sure Bevell understands that.

Yes, I agree that PC and even Cable deserve some share of the blame for the lack of carries for Lynch so far this season. The coaches should be as open to criticism as the players. How else will they get better if things continue to stay the same? Today is Tell the Truth Monday.

Cable is a run-first guy by nature, so I have trouble putting very much of the blame on his lap. Carroll, on the other hand, hasn't had a consistently dominant offense since he pushed out Norm Chow after winning two consecutive National Championships at USC in favor of more responsibility for boneheads Kiffin/Sarkisian. There have been moments of dominance, but not the kind of consistency you would like to see. As far as not getting Lynch involved enough in the offense, I feel this is most the offense has underperformed considering the amount of talent they have.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think it's time to say goodbye to Bevell after this season..I have no idea who should replace him..I think this will make the Beast and others happy...I think the Beast comes back for 1 more year at least..You have to feed the Beast the rock.The Beast gets bi-polar if you don't keep him fed..That is all..

kidhawk

Reaction score
Clayton on KIRO right now saying that there is nothing new with Lynch at all. Said he believes people started poking into the team and are hearing stories about Lynch that have been circulating for some time now. He said the locker room is probably tighter now than it has been all season.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Welcome to the transition zone. Where a team starts the process of moving on from one star to another. Sometimes the guy to be moved from takes it a bit hard.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":11485ehk said:
hawknation2014":11485ehk said:
volsunghawk":11485ehk said:
hawknation2014":11485ehk said:
It's funny how people become so obsessed with word choice that they ignore the spirit of the post. If you had preferred the word "joking" to "jawing," this wouldn't even be an issue.

Of course, Lynch wants more carries. He's a competitor.

The question is what would our record be this season had Bevell made a concerted effort to get Lynch more carries on first and second down? When that did happen, Lynch had 20+ carries against Denver and Green Bay, our two most impressive wins of the season.

Jawing implies friction/conflict.

Joking does not.

Words matter.

That is true; it was a poor word choice in the OP. So he made a mistake: does that negate the spirit of the post, which is that Lynch probably wants more carries? I don't think so.

Except in the GB and Denver games, Bevell so far has not found a way to get him those carries. 14 carries for Lynch vs. 32 passes for Wilson (plus six scrambles) is not a balanced offensive attack. If they hope to achieve the goal of a balanced offensive attack, then they need to find a way to get Lynch the ball more on first and second down. When they have succeeded in doing that, it has also benefitted the offense by opening up the passing game downfield.

As I discussed in the other thread, getting Lynch more carries on first and/or second down is the best way to avoid 3rd and long situations. That is because being a pass-first team puts inordinate stress on an offensive line that is better at run blocking than they are in pass pro.
It's something that runs deeper than just getting him more carries. This goes back to early last season when he was flipping off the sidelines and every fan in the stadium and online was upset that they didn't give Lynch the ball.

The POINT isn't Lynch is upset about not getting enough carries, the POINT - and this is for Pandion, imagine a HUGE pointy hammer slamming down on your seemingly thick skull, though I know you're more intelligent than that - is that this rift has been right there in our faces ALL ALONG and these reports leaking out really should have come as no surprise to any of us.

How thick headed do some of you people have to be?

....and how much of a drama queen do YOU have to be? I'm sure much worse happens on any NFL team's sideline that is never picked up by the camera. How many soap operas do you watch? Do you continue with this thread because you can't handle opinions that disagree with your own? Who has the thick skull here? The press thrives on hyperbole, whether it's Mort or anyone else. Dispute that fact and I'll be certain you are either full of it or delusional.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1fiurvw1 said:
volsunghawk":1fiurvw1 said:
hawknation2014":1fiurvw1 said:
It's funny how people become so obsessed with word choice that they ignore the spirit of the post. If you had preferred the word "joking" to "jawing," this wouldn't even be an issue.

The question is what would our record be this season had Bevell made a concerted effort to get Lynch more carries on first and second down? When that did happen, Lynch had 20+ carries against Denver and Green Bay, our two most impressive wins of the season.

Joking does not.

Words matter.

The point of the thread is that there is conflict, friction. News reports are that there is conflict, friction.

Why on EARTH would you take exception with a completely logical usage of the word?

Oh wait, Fanboyz Syndrome. I get it.
You on the fanboyz for Bevell team? Just askin' because your posting seems like a passive/aggressive way of being one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":13nrdm7z said:
volsunghawk":13nrdm7z said:
hawknation2014":13nrdm7z said:

Joking does not.

Words matter.

The point of the thread is that there is conflict, friction. News reports are that there is conflict, friction.

Why on EARTH would you take exception with a completely logical usage of the word?

Oh wait, Fanboyz Syndrome. I get it.

When he was doing the robot after the safety he was sarcastically pantomiming his feelings about being a cog in a slow bringing gear...

Or the dudes just funny.

Steve2222

Reaction score
lol at that Super Bowl clip of Beast and Pete....they're obviously playing around.

And Beast always looks disinterested in everything he does besides on the playing field. Marshawn is probably the most mysterious player in the league. One thing that's not mysterious about him though is his effort on Sunday's. He very well might not like being here. But one things for sure, he likes running the ball and punishing defenders.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think this thread is remarkably over blown.

Pete has always give leeway for his players to be very demonstrative, as long as they don't hurt the team and play hard.

To look back and apply anonymously reported current events to past actions is both revisionist, and a bit silly. IF they were unhappy with his deeds last year, why pay him more to be there this year? We don't like you giving the finger to Bevell, so have a mil and a half extra?

It don't make no sense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And I'd like to here ONE example of Beast not playing as hard as he can, in any game since he's been here? Never has happened, and never will.

Tical21

Reaction score
I personally believe he absolutely loves it here, we know we need him, and he'll be with us as long as he is productive.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think a lot of the posters in this thread need to apologise to each other, your all better than this. Jawing, talking crap BSing or just talking, it doesn't matter. The intent was he was in a conversation of some type.

This nit picky crap needs to stop in the main forums. As you all see it just creates rifts and all of you are very intelligent contributors here. Just because someone states something in a way that isn't how you would doesn't distract from the message they were trying to post.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Yes, this will probably be Lynch's last season with the team but that's been known for awhile now and is nothing new. His departure next year most likely has more to do with cap considerations and his age than any locker room concerns.

This has become Russell Wilson's team and PC/JS are building the team around him. Lynch has been a great player for the Hawks but he is expendable and players will come and go over the next ten years of the Russell Wilson era. Get used to it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The writing is on the way......that Lynch will dominate and play as hard as any player in football this year. Like he has the entire time he has been here.

Krieg's list

Reaction score
Tale as old as time-- ridiculous OP leads to equally ridiculous thread. But since no one has mentioned it yet, I just wanted to point out I think a big chunk of the premise is flawed...

Read the Carroll - Lynch dialogue you posted again. It could very well be a reference to 3 weeks before the Superb Owl. After the Saints had burned their last timeout challenging a crucial Baldwin catch on 3rd down, Seattle had a 1st down at the New Orleans' 31 yard line with 2:48 remaining and was poised to bleed the clock, with just the 2 minute warning standing in their way. But on the very next snap, Lynch broke off a long TD run, putting the Hawks up 15.

This, of course, allowed the Saints to drive down the field and score a touchdown with around 30 seconds left, leaving them an onside recovery and Hail Mary/2pt conversion away from tying the game. Such as it was, Lynch scoring the TD was likely suboptimal; if Lynch slides down inside the 5, the Seahawks can kneel three times to run out the clock. (Caveat: depending on when the play clock would have started, Seattle *might* have had to run another play before the 2 minute warning; had that happened, they would've likely run the clock down to 35 seconds, then kicked a FG to go up 11, giving Brees far less time for two scores. With just 3 fewer seconds on the game clock at the start of the play, a game situation identical to the infamous Brian Westbrook fantasy apocalypse of 2007 would have been ensured.)

Regardless of the actual win-expectancies, I vividly recall wishing Lynch hadn't scored the TD as the Hawks were awaiting the onside kick. So in my mind, it's quite probable that in the post-game review the coaches discussed with players situations where it might be beneficial *NOT* to score a TD, given the size of lead and time remaining. Of course, Marshawn was probably thinking something along the lines of, "I scored a TD, we won the game, what's the big deal? You telling me I screwed up by running for a touchdown? Then don't hand me the ball."

This play was discussed here both after the Saints game and after Marshawn's SB joking. It seems far more likely to me that Lynch was being sarcastic with Coach Carroll after he had been "blamed" for scoring too soon just two games prior. The "just wanted to make sure" quote clearly supports the position that he had been told scoring points isn't always better, and he was just being a smart *** by asking if it was okay to score now.

But maybe this is just a crazy theory... You're probably right, Lynch was genuinely frustrated with playcalling during a SB blowout victory. :lol:

Scottemojo":1mqfw63f said:
To look back and apply anonymously reported current events to past actions is both revisionist, and a bit silly. IF they were unhappy with his deeds last year, why pay him more to be there this year? We don't like you giving the finger to Bevell, so have a mil and a half extra?

It don't make no sense.

This.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Krieg's list":1iuhvjvk said:
Tale as old as time-- ridiculous OP leads to equally ridiculous thread. But since no one has mentioned it yet, I just wanted to point out I think a big chunk of the premise is flawed...

Read the Carroll - Lynch dialogue you posted again. It could very well be a reference to 3 weeks before the Superb Owl. After the Saints had burned their last timeout challenging a crucial Baldwin catch on 3rd down, Seattle had a 1st down at the New Orleans' 31 yard line with 2:48 remaining and was poised to bleed the clock, with just the 2 minute warning standing in their way. But on the very next snap, Lynch broke off a long TD run, putting the Hawks up 15.

This, of course, allowed the Saints to drive down the field and score a touchdown with around 30 seconds left, leaving them an onside recovery and Hail Mary/2pt conversion away from tying the game. Such as it was, Lynch scoring the TD was likely suboptimal; if Lynch slides down inside the 5, the Seahawks can kneel three times to run out the clock. (Caveat: depending on when the play clock would have started, Seattle *might* have had to run another play before the 2 minute warning; had that happened, they would've likely run the clock down to 35 seconds, then kicked a FG to go up 11, giving Brees far less time for two scores. With just 3 fewer seconds on the game clock at the start of the play, a game situation identical to the infamous Brian Westbrook fantasy apocalypse of 2007 would have been ensured.)

Regardless of the actual win-expectancies, I vividly recall wishing Lynch hadn't scored the TD as the Hawks were awaiting the onside kick. So in my mind, it's quite probable that in the post-game review the coaches discussed with players situations where it might be beneficial *NOT* to score a TD, given the size of lead and time remaining. Of course, Marshawn was probably thinking something along the lines of, "I scored a TD, we won the game, what's the big deal? You telling me I screwed up by running for a touchdown? Then don't hand me the ball."

This play was discussed here both after the Saints game and after Marshawn's SB joking. It seems far more likely to me that Lynch was being sarcastic with Coach Carroll after he had been "blamed" for scoring too soon just two games prior. The "just wanted to make sure" quote clearly supports the position that he had been told scoring points isn't always better, and he was just being a smart *** by asking if it was okay to score now.

But maybe this is just a crazy theory... You're probably right, Lynch was genuinely frustrated with playcalling during a SB blowout victory. :lol:

Scottemojo":1iuhvjvk said:

It don't make no sense.

This.
Good first post :th2thumbs: . Welcome to .NET. Like the username btw.