Lynch: The writing was on the wall

HawkWow

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1m41sok6 said:
I think this thread is remarkably over blown.

Pete has always give leeway for his players to be very demonstrative, as long as they don't hurt the team and play hard.

To look back and apply anonymously reported current events to past actions is both revisionist, and a bit silly. IF they were unhappy with his deeds last year, why pay him more to be there this year? We don't like you giving the finger to Bevell, so have a mil and a half extra?

It don't make no sense.

Makes no sense?

Aside from paying Lynch, what was their alternative? Just play the fumbling, non-blocking, Michael and allow our offense to go down the shitter? Christ, He still can't get on the field for any meaningful playing time.

Or maybe they could have brought in yet another back and face public outcry from our legion of Lynch fans and those of us actually concerned about where our picks and money are going? That pressure would have been greater than what Ruskell the numbskull faced with SA. I know I wouldn't have been happy.

Lynch obviously knew Michael was behind or he sure wouldn't have held out. A 29 yo RB holding out with 2 years remaining on his deal, 15 mil in the balance, and a "stud" back waiting in the wings? LOL. I wouldn't exactly call that street smart. I'd call that retirement.

Lynch and his team are smart. And in a brilliant display of gamesmanship, decided to hold the FO's feet to the fire. I have a hunch money was only part of Lynch's motivation. Lately, everyone is outsmarting this FO and to everyone outside of Seattle, that is remarkably easy to see.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Everyone is outsmarting this FO? Hyperbolic statements make your whole post worthless, IMO. This FO is widely considered one of the most savvy in the league, even with a few high profile misses.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Krieg's list":64a24mx9 said:
Tale as old as time-- ridiculous OP leads to equally ridiculous thread. But since no one has mentioned it yet, I just wanted to point out I think a big chunk of the premise is flawed...
-snip-
This play was discussed here both after the Saints game and after Marshawn's SB joking. It seems far more likely to me that Lynch was being sarcastic with Coach Carroll after he had been "blamed" for scoring too soon just two games prior. The "just wanted to make sure" quote clearly supports the position that he had been told scoring points isn't always better, and he was just being a smart *** by asking if it was okay to score now.

But maybe this is just a crazy theory... You're probably right, Lynch was genuinely frustrated with playcalling during a SB blowout victory. :lol:
-snip-

Great first post, tying in the backstory from New Orleans.

Love the name too.

Marshawn is all about that action.

Pete and John are trying to "win forever". (Title of Pete's book)
Sure, they are "taking inventory" of the young guns, CMike and Turbin, but I sure think they are trying to keep Lynch fresh for a late season stretch run and hopefully a playoff run.

Lynch is a smart guy and has a smart agent too who can and has explained any of this to him that Lynch didn't already know. I bet his agent didn't have to do much explaining.

There is no comparison between managing Lynch's quirks and managing Percy Harvin.

Percy Harvin's behavior and history suggest a Personality Disorder at a diagnosable level. Harvin's history and past incidents check a lot of boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder in particular. (If you want to know more, PM me) There is only one NFL player, Brandon Marshall, of the Bears, that has openly acknowledged having this condition, because of the stigma associated with it. It's extremely difficult for people with these types of personality disorders to change, because first they have to want to, and why would they want to, when it's everyone else who has the problem, not them?

Pete took on a bigger reclamation project in Percy Harvin than even HE can turn around. Percy is a MESS, and if he doesn't get help, he could easily be the next Ryan Leaf or Maurice Clarett, though probably more like a much less successful Terrell Owens. (T.O., along with Vince Young, shows the signs of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, which is a closely related disorder)

Thank God Lynch is no Percy Harvin. Lynch gives 100% effort and focus every carry, every play he's on the field. And he's a SMART and AWARE player. Some unsung Lynch great plays: vs. Washington, in 2012 playoffs, Russell fumbles, ball is on the ground, Lynch comes out of nowhere to not only scoop up the ball, but run for a first down! A bunch of clutch 3rd and 4th down pass catches that were not easy catches come quickly to mind. Marshawn is a piece of cake to handle compared to Harvin, and I hope Lynch ends his career as a Seahawk, with 3 Super Bowl rings.

TXHawk and several other posters have nailed it in this thread.

TXHawk":64a24mx9 said:
Yes, this will probably be Lynch's last season with the team but that's been known for awhile now and is nothing new. His departure next year most likely has more to do with cap considerations and his age than any locker room concerns.

This has become Russell Wilson's team and PC/JS are building the team around him. Lynch has been a great player for the Hawks but he is expendable and players will come and go over the next ten years of the Russell Wilson era. Get used to it.

^^ THIS.

Let's appreciate Marshawn every moment we have his unique talent on the team.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkWow":3v5cdhd7 said:
Makes no sense?

Aside from paying Lynch, what was their alternative? Just play the fumbling, non-blocking, Michael and allow our offense to go down the shitter? Christ, He still can't get on the field for any meaningful playing time.

Or maybe they could have brought in yet another back and face public outcry from our legion of Lynch fans and those of us actually concerned about where our picks and money are going? That pressure would have been greater than what Ruskell the numbskull faced with SA. I know I wouldn't have been happy.

Lynch obviously knew Michael was behind or he sure wouldn't have held out. A 29 yo RB holding out with 2 years remaining on his deal, 15 mil in the balance, and a "stud" back waiting in the wings? LOL. I wouldn't exactly call that street smart. I'd call that retirement.

Lynch and his team are smart. And in a brilliant display of gamesmanship, decided to hold the FO's feet to the fire. I have a hunch money was only part of Lynch's motivation. Lately, everyone is outsmarting this FO and to everyone outside of Seattle, that is remarkably easy to see.

Nice analysis!

Agreed, Lynch and his team are smart, and negotiated smartly with the FO. I have to take Marshawn's side on this. In defense of the FO, they did the only smart thing possible too. They paid Marshawn. Seattle FO smart, not outsmarted. Win-win.

The Percy Harvin fiasco, in hindsight, is an obvious mistake and is really Big Balls Pete taking on a ridiculous reclamation project by ignoring data, and then JS being complicit in massively overpaying for this injury-exaggerating, practice-skipping malingerer, not being able to re-sign key pieces (Clemons I miss the most) due to Harvin's ridiculous contract, and then giving up draft choices. Smart: Minnesota Vikings. Seattle FO Outsmarted? Badly.

PC/JS dumping Harvin, when the issues became too much to ignore: Smart, decisive, but just really just stopping the bleeding by wrapping a hastily-ripped sheet around a big gash wound that makes us less fit for battle.

Between that, and draft misses/jury-still-out/no immediate impact players, cutesy drafts, etc.: Mixed. FO Smart overall, swinging for the fence and connecting some, striking out some. Drafting Paul Richardson to give them what Percy Harvin couldn't? Smart. Drafting Kevin Norwood to provide some bigger body receiving depth? Smart. Drafting J.R. Sweezy and converting him to OL? Looking like the work of genius these days. Drafting Kevin Pierre-Louis? Looking better all the time. Doug Baldwin and Richard Sherman? Genius. Ditching #4 overall pick Aaron Curry and starting 5th round rookie LB K.J. Wright in his place? Brilliant. Jury out players like Tharald Simon? Looking smarter all the time. Christine Michael? Jury still out. Jesse Williams? James Carpenter? Who knows? UDFA Jerome Kearse, practice squad to SB48 Playmaker? Brilliant. I mean, this could go on and on, but FO overall on drafts in PC/JS era: Brilliant. FO overall on UDFA signings and development: Brilliant. FO on trades: Average to below average. Lynch trade = Big Win, Harvin trade = Huge Loss.

I enjoyed your post. Clearly we (FO/Pete) were outsmarted on the Percy Harvin trade fiasco. And it's really handicapped our team this year.

When I break down the other things this FO has done, they are still well ahead of the curve. Overall: Smart, and crazy like a fox. Combined with the superb coaching, maybe smart enough overall to survive the Harvin fiasco and get back to the playoffs, and maybe more.

dunceface

Reaction score
kidhawk":23n2koyt said:
Clayton on KIRO right now saying that there is nothing new with Lynch at all. Said he believes people started poking into the team and are hearing stories about Lynch that have been circulating for some time now. He said the locker room is probably tighter now than it has been all season.

Just wanted to repeat this

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkWow":f2sdjyp1 said:
Scottemojo":f2sdjyp1 said:
I think this thread is remarkably over blown.

Pete has always give leeway for his players to be very demonstrative, as long as they don't hurt the team and play hard.

To look back and apply anonymously reported current events to past actions is both revisionist, and a bit silly. IF they were unhappy with his deeds last year, why pay him more to be there this year? We don't like you giving the finger to Bevell, so have a mil and a half extra?

It don't make no sense.

Makes no sense?

Twist some more.
IF they were unhappy with him last year, they would have taken action to replace him during the off season. They did pretty much nothing with running backs in the draft and free agency. Lynch wanting more money went back to OTA's, not camp. If their feet were held to the fire, they were held there for a long time, March to July. He even talked of retirement after the SB, yet the Hawks took no action to replace him. They knew what it was, a post SB money grab, and they TOOK NO ACTION TO REPLACE HIM WHEN THEY ABSOLUTELY COULD.

Like I said, looking back and applying not even true current events to past things is revisionist. Him not finishing his deal in Seattle has always been possible, even likely, there is little real reason to make up other reasons it won't happen.

I thought John Clayton's insight that the Seattle locker room is as tight as ever now that Percy is gone is the most likely explanation, but maybe it is just too drama free for some fans.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I don't see how the "writing was on the wall" considering nothing has happened yet, Lynch is still on the team. Many of us were discussing this scenario in the off-season, it was unlikely that we would be able to afford Lynch in 2015 due to paying Russell Wilson, Sherman, Earl Thomas, Bennett, etc...

So all this "Lynch likely traded in 2015" stuff is nothing new, it's common sense in my opinion. If Turbin and Christine Michael seem somewhat capable to fill his shoes in 2015 he's probably gone. If it seems like they aren't ready or if Lynch seems capable of another great year I think he could stay on the team...

Really all of this is just overblown speculation which accomplishes nothing other than estimating the probabilities of certain things happening. It all seems like common sense with or without Marshawn's personality or any conflicts that may or may not exists.

The fact is that Lynch is starting to get up in age, AND we are about to have to pay Wilson an absurd amount of money. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put this together and realize there's a good chance that Lynch will be gone next season, but I still think he has at least a slight chance to remain on the team as I explained above.

And here's my thoughts putting myself in Lynch's shoes:

He's a super competitive guy that wants to be on the field every play, doesn't seem to really get tired so it makes sense he wouldn't wanna be on the bench for over 30% of the plays. That doesn't mean he's a bad team mate or selfish or being a drama queen if he seems disinterested when he's not on the field, he just wants to be there and doesn't get fired up when he's out.

He has been running behind a TERRIBLE offensive line that gets tons of praise for their run blocking when really they are average at best and Lynch makes them look WAYYYY better than they really are because he breaks so many tackles and improvises his running lanes. Sometimes he picks the wrong lanes but overall you can see the glaring differences between him and Turbin (maybe CMike too) that they can't get anywhere behind our O-Line because they run the "correct" lane... NOTHING IS EVER IN THE CORRECT LANE UNLESS YOU CAN BREAK LIKE 20 TACKLES.

So understandably Lynch is annoyed that he has to work so hard for every single yard when other teams with good O-Lines like Dallas just gash people without the RB breaking a sweat. I'm sure Lynch gets even more annoyed when the play calling is bad and he's in there at the wrong times.

It's just gotta be an extremely frustrating situation for Lynch, nothing comes easy to him with crap O-Line, he's not on the field as much as he could be, the play calling is at times atrocious with not giving him the ball and losing time of Possesion 2:1 in two of our losses, and he knows that he's likely to be reaching the end of his "getting paid" era even though he's done so incredibly well with the most difficult situation imaginable for a RB and he's shown no obvious signs of slowing down.

When Lynch slams the ball down after our O-Line can't even get him to the line of scrimmage before getting hit by 2+ guys... I totally understand that frustration and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Lynch also consistently has more receiving yards than many of our WR and TE's, and frankly he's probably just fed up with all this negative "drama" nonsense that is swirling around him when he just wants to do his job and be left alone. He truly is "all about that action boss", and I think it's great.

Final Thoughts:

I think all these stories are overblown and it's just the media trying to distract people with absolutely stupid ideas.

It's well known that "race baiting" is the #1 way to cause drama and distract and divide the people of a country so they never focus on what's really important. And well they already pulled that one on our QB with unconfirmed sources... whether it's true or not that's disgraceful reporting and accomplishes nothing positive for ANYONE.

Now the Lynch situation is obviously different than the recent Russell Wilson one, but it's the same kind of meaningless make something out of nothing drama stupidity competition to see who can get the most "hits" in the middle of the season. I haven't even been reading any of these articles involving Wilson or Lynch because they are sooo incredibly stupid and a waste of EVERYONE's time.

That's how I feel about it, and I don't think Lynch is having any kind of conflicts at all... and if there are some minor ones it wouldn't be the reason he's not on the team next season... THERE ARE MANY WAY MORE IMPORTANT FACTORS.

As for Lynch flipping off Bevell, good for him... I don't care sometimes guys just over-react when they know their boss or manager is being a total idiot. I think Lynch is actually A LOT smarter than people think, he's fully aware of this situation and he knows what's likely to play out. At the end of the day, Lynch get's the job done and he plays EXTREMELY HARD every snap... I see no obvious indication that he's a problem for the team unless everyone on the staff and roster is a bunch of phoney care bears who get super upset and go pout all week if Lynch isn't super happy when he gets 7 carries in a loss...

And I know I'm harsh on Bevell but I actually think he called a great game VS. Carolina. We had a ton of 2nd and short or 3rd and short situations where we ran to pick up high percentage downs, spread the ball to many receivers, good timing routes, took a shot deep etc. It was just a great game in my opinion and Lynch still carried it 14 times so I don't see what's the fuss. Obviously we wanna get CMike and Turbin more involved if Lynch is in fact gone next season, but we also want to keep Lynch well rested. It's a win-win situation as long as we win. And if Wilson, the O-Line, and our Receivers had executed a little better that would of been one heck of a nice game on offense vs the Panthers.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
chris98251":111nn8id said:
I think a lot of the posters in this thread need to apologise to each other, your all better than this. Jawing, talking crap BSing or just talking, it doesn't matter. The intent was he was in a conversation of some type.

This nit picky crap needs to stop in the main forums. As you all see it just creates rifts and all of you are very intelligent contributors here. Just because someone states something in a way that isn't how you would doesn't distract from the message they were trying to post.

Again, words matter. There's a reason there are multiple words for "a conversation of some type"... because there are different contexts, different situations, different outcomes, etc. "Jawing" means something different from "chatting," which means something altogether different from "joking," which is also different from "bickering." Those are all words to indicate a conversation is happening, but they clearly mean different things. That's not "nitpicky." That's a case of completely different definitions.

And on a messageboard where the written word is the primary means of communication, the meaning of the words written is crucial to communicating the message.

For the record, the OP confirmed that his use of "jawing" was to highlight that he thought a conflict was occurring. If you re-read the thread, there are plenty of folks in it who are taking exception to his argument, not his word choice.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Why does anyone even still watch ESPN or any sports "media" outlet for that matter? Journalism and journalistic integrity, outside of the BBC and MAYBE Huffington Post (and they'll sell out like all the rest have, for money and views over journalistic honor) are DEAD. I don't care if it's Chris Mortenson and then 3 other people confirming it. Haven't these tools been wrong enough, especially about Seattle, for you guys to realize that they don't have a friggin' clue what's going on with this team? The sports media is a joke, these guys parrot off of each other going off of the slightest bit of hard evidence. What's even more laughable is that people, and it seems Seahawks fans in particular, eat it up and make these people all kinds of outrageous money. It's freaking disgusting, especially for someone who grew up wanting to be a journalist to actually cover the facts and try and have some integrity. All that is gone now. Some of you should really check out the movie 'Network.' It was way ahead of it's time, but it's turned out to be almost 100% true in it's portrayal of the future, especially with the media.

Seriously, Marshawn is known to keep to himself but somehow, all of these hacks have the inside track on how he's feeling or what he's thinking? The funny thing is, when Pete or Marshawn's agent (aka someone who actually knows what the hell is going on and not just guessing based on perceived body language or something else completely subjective) comes out and says something about it, it gets ignored. Now, why is that? Oh, because the truth doesn't sell!

There's a great motto/proverb to live by, "believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see." Some folks need to start learning how to think for themselves, as well as realizing that ESPN in particular, is full of it. Ever since Disney took them over, it's been downhill. Really, journalistic integrity anywhere is pretty rare, and it's the reason why people like me will die starving like a good ole' starving artist if I tried to make a living out of it. No one wants to hear the truth, or think for themselves. It's all about fawned outrage, what sells, and other loads of BS.

If I had one sports-related wish from a genie that may or may not look like or actually be Shaquille O'Neal, it would be that Marshawn and the 'Hawks win another ring, they keep him, he wins a third, and then retires. Can you imagine what the media will be saying next year if it goes down like that? "Well, the Seahawks are trying to trade Marshawn again. It's been well-documented (aka bs we, the media, created haha *laughs way to the bank*) over the past two seasons that they are fed up with his behavior." And somehow, people will still eat it up! I bet Marshawn is probably wishing he had already retired on top this past season, like he had told teammates he would. You've got TMZ, ESPN, hell, even his own fans coming after him! This can't be fun for him.

I honestly can't believe some of the hyperbole up in here. I keep having to just refer to them as "people" because there are too many people to quote. This is lunacy at it's finest. It's obvious to me that some of you are wound too tight and can't enjoy life. How else can you explain people saying that this FO is getting constantly outsmarted and stuff like that. Wait, you mean the same FO that just took home THE FIRST SUPER BOWL IN TEAM HISTORY!?! The same FO that every team is trying to emmulate? Look, I want a dynasty as bad as the next guy, but some of you obviously didn't enjoy last season like you should have. Yeah, I'm telling you what to do. Live in the freakin moment, will ya? Another Super Bowl is not promised, and if they don't win another one, some of you might actually look back at the Pete Carroll/John Schneider era as a failure for "only winning 1 ring." The thought of that, along with the random thought of a Seahawks fan telling some random Jags fan at a game "how many ringz do youz have, duh!??!?", sincerely makes me sick.

And to end this on a footbal-related note, because who really gives a damn about anything else when it comes to the Seahawks... Seriously, the NFL and it's fans are being brainwashed and turned into gossiping queens. It's like my mother's home-attendant and her soap opera's, except, she knows that it's fake when the episode's over! Anyways, what I was gonna say, is that I love how everyone complained prior to this year about how Marshawn needed rest, he was gonna break down late in the year, etc. Now, a year older, it seems like Bevell and co. are trying to keep him fresh and ready for a stretch run, and everyone's crying about Marshawn not getting the rock enough. It's almost like last season didn't even happen for some of you. Didn't you learn that it's all about the stretch run? Who cares about September and October? September and October is the time of year when the Cowboys fool their fans into believing they seriously have a chance. How bout 2012 when the team started 4-4 and went on an amazing run, finished 11-5, and barely missed out on the NFC Championship? History is full of examples of team finishing strong and going all the way, even on the road, especially recently.

I just don't want to be around here when the team goes on said tear to end the season, and everyone acts like they were firmly in the Seahawks corner all along. They say in life, sometimes you become what you hate the most. When I was kid, growing up in NYC, I hated the Yankees and their legion of bandwagon fans. I'd laugh with my father at the hacks who would call in sports radio complaining about the team just months after they won 3 World Series' in a row or something absurd like that. Well, I'm older now, and it looks like the Seahawks and their newfound fanship are becoming exactly what I hated the most. Well played, life, lesson learned.

[youtube]HFvT_qEZJf8[/youtube]

marko358

Reaction score
NYCoug":mcqzxnnn said:
Why does anyone even still watch ESPN or any sports "media" outlet for that matter? Journalism and journalistic integrity, outside of the BBC and MAYBE Huffington Post

Stopped reading after this. Just checked Huffpo and these are two of the stories at the top of their page:

Kevin Smith Doesn't Look Like This Anymore
George Clinton Reveals the No. 1 Food You Should Never Eat On Acid

:mrgreen:

NYCoug

Reaction score
marko358":2j8ko8zx said:
NYCoug":2j8ko8zx said:
Why does anyone even still watch ESPN or any sports "media" outlet for that matter? Journalism and journalistic integrity, outside of the BBC and MAYBE Huffington Post

Stopped reading after this. Just checked Huffpo and these are two of the stories at the top of their page:

Kevin Smith Doesn't Look Like This Anymore
George Clinton Reveals the No. 1 Food You Should Never Eat On Acid

Well, there you go. Another one bites the dust. There's a reason I don't bother with the media anymore. Let the BBC reign eternally.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2g2knyq9 said:
Remember how upset he was getting when they had red zone situations and weren't using him? Many .netters were crying for Bevell's head. We were debating whether he gave the sideline the finger, remember that? Then he was jawing with Carroll during the Super Bowl: "Can we score more points?"

People tried to make light of it. But it was an issue. It's been an issue for a while now. And you know what? Lynch might be right. Bevell does some stupid stuff. Did Bevell throw deep to Harvin? Nope. First game with the Jets they go deep to Harvin. Did Bevell give Lynch the ball 10 times in a game that wasn't out of reach, a game where we needed to stick to our philosophy and pound the ball? Yep. Did the coaching staff multiple times in goal line situations line up Wilson alone in the backfield and tell the whole world they were passing for THE THIRD STRAIGHT PLAY when everyone and their dog was screaming GIVE THE #$$%^ BALL TO LYNCH!!! Yep, that happened too.

The thought that he's turning 29 and shouldn't resign him anyways is a legitimate line of thinking. But whether that's the reason or not, the reality is that Lynch may very well have good reason to be pissed at a coaching staff that plays too conservatively, relies too much on the defense to win games and makes stupid decisions in critical moments of the game that keep the offense from really rolling along.

Maybe they should have listened to Lynch and just scored more points.

Whatever the case, there's been plenty of incidents that have been right there in our faces all along telling us that there was a rift between our star player and PC. This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Dear Lord, are there still people who don't understand that Harvin IS NOT A DEEP THREAT AND NEVER HAS BEEN?

We didn't use Harvin deep because he is horrible at running routes and he has bad hands when trying to make anything but simple easy catches.

Harvin is extremely limited as a wr. Too many football fans FALSELY believe Harvin is great simply because they hear other people falsely say Harvin is great.

When it comes to actually being a WIDE RECEIVER harvin is unable to do basic things like run routes and catch on the run.

Can he be used like a RB? Yes.

Can he be used like a WR? Not really.

In case you didn't notice, the Jets were not successful with Harvin in their 1st game together. Harvin is paid like a 100+ yard and a TD almost every game. In case you didn't notice he has fallen short of that every single game since signing with seattle.

Besides his KO return in garbage time in the Super Bowl he hasn't done anything as a football player in 2 years.

He was mediocre/bad in every game besides the Super Bowl.

He is an overrated POS and any seahawks fan who is still complaining about not sending Harvin deep should feel embarrassed because they clearly don't know anything about Harvin.

Complaining about not using Harvin deep? You might as well complain about not using Jon Ryan deep since neither one of them is any good in the deep passing game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3cpvffkm said:
chris98251":3cpvffkm said:
I think a lot of the posters in this thread need to apologise to each other, your all better than this. Jawing, talking crap BSing or just talking, it doesn't matter. The intent was he was in a conversation of some type.

This nit picky crap needs to stop in the main forums. As you all see it just creates rifts and all of you are very intelligent contributors here. Just because someone states something in a way that isn't how you would doesn't distract from the message they were trying to post.

Again, words matter. There's a reason there are multiple words for "a conversation of some type"... because there are different contexts, different situations, different outcomes, etc. "Jawing" means something different from "chatting," which means something altogether different from "joking," which is also different from "bickering." Those are all words to indicate a conversation is happening, but they clearly mean different things. That's not "nitpicky." That's a case of completely different definitions.

And on a messageboard where the written word is the primary means of communication, the meaning of the words written is crucial to communicating the message.

For the record, the OP confirmed that his use of "jawing" was to highlight that he thought a conflict was occurring. If you re-read the thread, there are plenty of folks in it who are taking exception to his argument, not his word choice.

except in this case people are getting menstrual over the literal meaning of words to describe an event they have little insight into and means nearly nothing in the context of the Seahawks current state.

Anyone looking into one conversation that took place in the team's biggest game nearly 10 months ago as some sort if indictment or reflection into the current relationship of player and coach is looking far too hard..

and thus, would be all bothered by "words mattering" on a message board. the whole thread is speculation... why anyone can take anything literally from this is beyond rationality. whole thing is ridiculous, painfully so.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If he's productive this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him here next year as well. It seemed like Lynch just wanted to know he would still be playing and finish his contract out here. Sure, he asked for more money and to be paid like a top back (which he is) but you always ask more than you're willing to take. It's negotiating. Look at any average real estate market: the median sale price is almost always under the median list price.

Lynch was smart, like others said. Michael wasn't stepping up, and Turbin has never been the replacement answer. If he gets dumped on the market at 30 years old, he'll end up going for peanuts on a short deal to any competitive team...the teams that can afford to over pay him are usually doing pretty badly. Does he want to finish his career on a bad team ? Maybe, but I can only really see that happening in Oakland where he lives. He tried to use his leverage now, and not be put in a bad position later.

As for the FO being outsmarted on the Harvin deal, I think they outsmarted themselves. They thought if they had Harvin on a winning team, with a dynamic leader and good QB, and fed him the ball, they could manage him. What they found out is that Harvin is a malcontent no matter what the situation is, so they moved on. It's funny, but most media analysts didn't even criticize the Hawks for moving on that quickly, they were praised for realizing the mistake and alleviating it quickly.

The draft pick thing has been hit ad nauseum. Look at the Patriots draft record the last 5 years, and look at them this year (and pretty much every year). FO's miss. If no one missed, after a while only 1/3 of the entire draft would ever make an NFL squad, and then it would be for retirements, injury replacements, and slight talent upgrades.

chris98251

Reaction score
volsunghawk":scfhv9gr said:
chris98251":scfhv9gr said:

So we should attack everyone that uses a word that others wouldn't use in threads?

I stand by my statement, you all need to lighten up on posters and look at the content instead of looking to pick apart a post based on preferences and grammar.

Way to much of this bullshit that goes on by people that feel they need to degrade others to show some type of superiority.

Not everyone here has finished High School, received a college degree, or is an English Major or Professor.

I'm willing to wager that most that dissect posts really don't speak that way in a general conversation, or when they are watching a game either.

It makes a lot of those that would offer contributions hesitate to involve themselves knowing a few are going to jump down their throats at the first mistake, regardless of what they post as content.

This isn't just regarding this post by the way, it's becoming a trend across the board.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1c3hsnc2 said:
Wow... "Jawing".

It just shows how easy it is to make up stuff and spin things into what fits your narrative.

Their is a lot of negative space, and people are filling it with BS.

I wonder if you collaborated with Marvin49 on this post.
Boy, ain't that the truth!
If it doesn't sound like a fit, screw the words around 'til it does. :lol:

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
chris98251":35tuzi6y said:
volsunghawk":35tuzi6y said:
chris98251":35tuzi6y said:

So we should attack everyone that uses a word that others wouldn't use in threads?

I stand by my statement, you all need to lighten up on posters and look at the content instead of looking to pick apart a post based on preferences and grammar.

Way to much of this bullshit that goes on by people that feel they need to degrade others to show some type of superiority.

Not everyone here has finished High School, received a college degree, or is an English Major or Professor.

I'm willing to wager that most that dissect posts really don't speak that way in a general conversation, or when they are watching a game either.

It makes a lot of those that would offer contributions hesitate to involve themselves knowing a few are going to jump down their throats at the first mistake, regardless of what they post as content.

This isn't just regarding this post by the way, it's becoming a trend across the board.
Especially when the grammar was correct and their interpretation of the grammar was not. Then it becomes crystal clear that the person taking issue with the grammar is A: trying to snottily put down a post because he has no substantive reply to said post and B: probably doing so as a knee jerk, fanboy reaction.

For those that had legitimate arguments as to why they don't believe there is or has been for some time a rift between Lynch and the coaches, thank you for your posts. For those content to attack the poster, well, go visit the shack and read my Sam Niell comment.

For those that addressed the issue of Lynch flipping off the coaches during a game, oh wait, not one poster brought up HALF my post.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
chris98251":8rij6iqx said:

Okay, here's the thing. This wasn't a "grammar Nazi" attack. The big argument in this thread was over the definition/meaning of a word the OP used. No one was jumping all over Salish because he used a semicolon inappropriately. The argument was about what Salish actually MEANT when he was trotting his theory out there. If he wants to make a point, and we want to discuss and debate it, we have to know what it is he MEANS. If you use the wrong word, that impacts the meaning. Salish was building his argument on the concept that Lynch is upset with Carroll and the coaching staff and using that interaction at the SB as evidence. He described that interaction as "jawing." Most people here took that word to mean "heated discussion, rooted in conflict or anger" and disagreed with the characterization. Things went downhill from there.

Again, it's not about degrading someone or showing them up. It's not about superiority. It's about communicating your message using the right words for what you're trying to say. If my doctor told me I have a stomach cancer, but he really means I have a stomach ulcer, that's two pretty different things, even though both represent a stomach affliction. I don't think you have to have achieved any kind of degree to recognize that.

Verbal speech has ALWAYS differed from written speech. Slang and vernacular aren't always going to come across the same way on the page/screen; similarly, proper English isn't always going to be appropriate in all environments (like, as you point out, while watching a game). But here, in a medium where the written word is the primary form of communication, I'd suggest that using the word that means what you intend it to mean isn't too much to ask.

Once more, while the discussion touched on the word usage, the issue most people had was actually with Salish's content - his assertion that there is a significant friction between Lynch and Carroll and that the SB clip with the two men was evidence of it.

Quick question... do you reserve this same acrimony for posters who start slinging insults when people disagree with them? You know, like Salish calling some of the other folks in this thread "fanboyz" and "thick-headed," or do you just get upset when people have the gall to suggest that people use the right damn words for what they mean?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good Lord.

Marshawn was happy there, they were fulfilling a dream of winning a Superbowl. Yet some Seahawks fan turns comments while Winning the Superbowl in to something tragic, how fitting.

I've said it before, this is a non-story! Everybody, including Marshawn and his agent KNEW that they were unlikely to see the final year of the contract.

They knew this the day they signed it, and they knew this a year ago. Nothing has changed, well except that last spring John gave Marshawn some extra money from the 2015 salary which is basically saying "since you won't see the final year of this contract, we are going to give you some of the money out of it."