MacDonald vs Johnson decision time

CactusJack

Reaction score
"The Sean McVay of defense."

High praise.
Make it happen John!!

This is the guy I've wanted all along. I'm really hoping he's the guy.

People want an offensive guy because that's the popular trend. But this dude is just different. Sometimes the best move isn't always the most popular one.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Part of me wants to see a dynamic, high-powered offense and we’ve seen BJ do that.

But, I’m not going to be even a tad bit salty if we grab MM.

I slightly favor Ben Johnson.

Just…no Quinn.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think I've settled on if its Macdonald then Kafka is the OC would be my ideal combo. I still really like Ben Johnson the most.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Here's a name that I haven't seen anyone talking about. If Ben Johnson is the new HC, then what about Brandon Staley as the new DC? He ran a great defense when he was with the Rams. He's another guy that was a better coordinator than he was a HC.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I am beyond ecstatic for either one. Earlier on in the process I wanted Johnson more as he is an offensive mind but am now leaning slightly towards Macdonald. Watching the way his defenses play against top offenses is a beautiful thing. Macdonald gets my vote but would love either one

Reaction score
Here's a name that I haven't seen anyone talking about. If Ben Johnson is the new HC, then what about Brandon Staley as the new DC? He ran a great defense when he was with the Rams. He's another guy that was a better coordinator than he was a HC.

He’s currently interviewing with the Dolphins for their DC

CactusJack

Reaction score
I still really like Ben Johnson the most.
Why? Don't let Rob get in your head, man. ;)

Fwiw, both Matty and Griff prefer MacDonald. Both guys who actually study film. They say it isn't close when it comes to X & O's. Griff didn't think Johnson would be that much of an upgrade over Waldron.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Anyone who's still unsure about Macdonald & the impact he could have needs to watch this.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Why? Don't let Rob get in your head, man. ;)

Fwiw, both Matty and Griff prefer MacDonald. Both guys who actually study film. They say it isn't close when it comes to X & O's. Griff didn't think Johnson would be that much of an upgrade over Waldron.
Other film guys love Johnson and listening to the latest podcast of Griff and Matty they don't dislike Johnson. I didn't get that they think Macdonald is light years better than Johnson with the X&O's either but maybe I misunderstood them. And Matty/Griff have been wrong over the years too, sometimes wildly wrong. That's not a slight on them, this stuff is hard!

I like Johnson more because your resources are heavily invested in that side of the ball and if you go out and get a young QB you can pair him with your HC for a decade. Griff actually thinks the defense is easily fixable if Nwosu just stays healthy and you move Brooks to Mike so that is another reason I would rather take a shot on Johnson and hopefully any decent DC will get the defense to top 10-15 range with some minor fixes.

But it's SUPER close for me. I would be pumped if we got Macdonald because I have zero doubts he would have our defense playing a much higher level. I get a little nervouse because I don't know who the OC would be but I trust John would get someone. I like Kafka and honestly if I knew we were getting both I might even lean Macdonald in that scenario.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Anyone who's still unsure about Macdonald & the impact he could have needs to watch this.

It is a little crazy that he turned it around with a lot of the same personnel. He moved Hamilton and traded for Smith but it completely unlocked that defense. Cool stuff.

chris98251

Reaction score
Very Interesting.

Well wanting to finish the deal, probably a pay raise as well that we find out about later.

Last edited:

Latest posts