Malik McDowell in "vehicular" accident

Seymour

Reaction score
Basis4day":35f18uod said:
Josea16":35f18uod said:
vin.couve12":35f18uod said:
Reporters......

Pete didn't say he could miss the season. Pete was asked that and he said, "we don't know that yet."
Typical shoddy reporting. Malik did a boneheaded thing but no way does he miss the season with the injuries reported.

Kinda depends on the what they mean by facial injuries. If you mess up the bones around your eye-socket you can be out for a while. Concussions depends on severity.

Of all the speculation, just one looks to have possibly gotten it right.

253hawk

Reaction score
Well at least it was just an ATV accident and not some sort of Dallas Cowboys nonsense.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1wgsxqjv said:
Exactly, being guilty of stupid is a lot different than DV or sitting in Jail for something else.

Agree. But the problem to the team is, it could be the exact same end result....not available for xxx Sundays, and you now become the camp story. I'm just hoping he doesn't become the village idiot when the details emerge.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Gonna' be interesting. Beyond stupid. But, he does have a chance here to take advantage of a very good opportunity. It's all on him.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":iq6jb2e6 said:
SeaWolv":iq6jb2e6 said:
Seahwkgal":iq6jb2e6 said:
That's what we get for drafting a Spartan. :stirthepot:

Ahh hahahaha...love it. Sparty gonna spart.

Kidding aside this kid could be a baller, hope he recovers quickly and can provide some more stoutness to the Dline.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/s ... 523848001/
I just couldn't resist. We should have drafted Taco..Damn!! ;)
Seriously though, I hope he recovers and plays this year. His potential is huge. Hope and pray he works for the team and that this is not the beginning of another injury bug for this season.((fingers crossed behind back))

Love me some Taco fer shure, that guy already is a baller. If Malik makes it back, which it sounds like he could based on his tweet, then we've got to see what the staff can do to coach him up and make sure he's not taking plays off like he did in EL.

Chapow

Reaction score
sutz":3ohfde6d said:
pmedic920":3ohfde6d said:
Being reported from training camp on NFLN.

"Injuries include a concussion and facial injuries"

Pure speculation on my part but I'd guess he wasn't wearing a helmet. If that is the case "stupid move" on Malik's part.

I had hopes that this kid would be an Impact player this year.
Gee, NFL players get a lot of concussions while wearing helmets. And unless you're in some competition, how many ATV riders wear full face helmets? Not many, I'd guess.

:229031_shrug:

I ride ATV's and I ride a lot. I have a pretty large group of guys I ride with, some on bikes, some on ATV's. I don't know anyone that doesn't wear a full face helmet. We usually see tons of other people riding every time we go out as well. Almost everyone wears a full face helmet. That's just how they make helmets nowadays for off road riding. If someone is wearing a helmet that isn't full face, it's likely a road bike helmet, not meant for off road riding.

Anyway, in answer to your question (which I get is most likely hypothetical), in my experience, the answer is almost all ATV riders wear full face helmets.

And yeah, if he wasn't wearing a helmet, that's just monumentally stupid, but the fact that he was injured certainly doesn't mean he wasn't. Fact of the matter is, if you crash an ATV, you're probably going to get hurt regardless of the gear you're wearing. The protective gear is just there to mitigate the damage as much as possible.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3baelkx4 said:
SoulfishHawk":3baelkx4 said:
What cracks me up is hearing people say stuff like "This is why I didn't like the pick in the first place."
Um.........ok

Well the knock on McDowell, which was the main reason he fell to the 2nd round was immaturity issues.

So the criticism is fair, albeit no one could have seen an ATV accident. But getting on an ATV 2 weeks before camp doesn't exactly prove the doubters wrong about his maturity level and decision making.

If Hsu is correct that it's in violation of his contract, then that makes the criticism particularly fair.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I have a full-face helmet that I've kept since wrecking on my one and only foray into ATC-ing (remember the 3-wheelers? Yikes!). It's absolutely smashed on the left side, from near the top to the part where my jawbone lives. But my noggin remained intact, and all I got out of it was a broken left arm. So, I agree that full-face helmets on an ATV are a smart thing. As for most of you, what a bunch of whiny crotchety old milquetoasts. Young people do what they do, experience comes from doing stupid stuff due to not having experience yet. This kid just got some experience in the most suppository fashion.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. If the impact was enough to brake his face, it could be a whopper of a concussion. Thoughts with Malik. That had to be scary as hell. I was 1/4" from losing my leg in an ATV accident as a teenager.

It could be that no more details about the incident itself (helmet/no helmet, context) emerge. If law enforcement at some level weren't involved, there probably isn't a cut and dried incident report.

Unfortunately, ooodles of fans are going to hold this against Malik for a long time, until if/when he makes a big contribution. Reading through these comments reminds me that we should brace ourselves for at least a year of self-righteous judgment against the kid, including but not limited to attacks on his intelligence, character, and amplifications of any mistakes or missteps.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nanomoz":3qh37rlp said:
Reading through these comments reminds me that we should brace ourselves for at least a year of self-righteous judgment against the kid, including but not limited to attacks on his intelligence, character, and amplifications of any mistakes or missteps.

As if we haven't been undergoing that already.

cymatica

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1j32083b said:
I have a full-face helmet that I've kept since wrecking on my one and only foray into ATC-ing (remember the 3-wheelers? Yikes!). It's absolutely smashed on the left side, from near the top to the part where my jawbone lives. But my noggin remained intact, and all I got out of it was a broken left arm. So, I agree that full-face helmets on an ATV are a smart thing. As for most of you, what a bunch of whiny crotchety old milquetoasts. Young people do what they do, experience comes from doing stupid stuff due to not having experience yet. This kid just got some experience in the most suppository fashion.

Agree. The mentality of being safe everywhere all the time is getting out of control.

We should just build a prison for athletes, they can earn their freedom after the contract is up

Popeyejones

Reaction score
nanomoz":xk4wbquq said:
I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. If the impact was enough to brake his face, it could be a whopper of a concussion. Thoughts with Malik. That had to be scary as hell. I was 1/4" from losing my leg in an ATV accident as a teenager.

It could be that no more details about the incident itself (helmet/no helmet, context) emerge. If law enforcement at some level weren't involved, there probably isn't a cut and dried incident report.

Unfortunately, ooodles of fans are going to hold this against Malik for a long time, until if/when he makes a big contribution. Reading through these comments reminds me that we should brace ourselves for at least a year of self-righteous judgment against the kid, including but not limited to attacks on his intelligence, character, and amplifications of any mistakes or missteps.

If he's out for the year, unless the Seahawks really suck (which they won't; and it is nearly impossible in their division anyway) I think most people will probably forget that he exists, and then next off-season they'll be talking about him like he's the equivalent of an "extra draft pick" because he missed this year.

The only mistake I think people might make is that if he ends up busting people might falsely attribute it to this, as a ton of 2nd round picks end up busting even without injury, and McDowell was already one of the bigger boom/bust picks in the entire draft even before this happened.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2dxz0j6e said:
nanomoz":2dxz0j6e said:

If he's out for the year, unless the Seahawks really suck (which they won't; and it is nearly impossible in their division anyway) I think most people will probably forget that he exists, and then next off-season they'll be talking about him like he's the equivalent of an "extra draft pick" because he missed this year.

The only mistake I think people might make is that if he ends up busting people might falsely attribute it to this, as a ton of 2nd round picks end up busting even without injury, and McDowell was already one of the bigger boom/bust picks in the entire draft even before this happened.
Agree. I can very well see the above.

Seymour

Reaction score
Pete is pretty careless what they do off the field when it comes to player safety IMO.

This is rookie mini camp 2013....

tumblr_mmncktTQEj1rge74zo1_500.jpg

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/333028475864760321[/tweet]

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":3h67mty8 said:
Pete is pretty careless what they do off the field when it comes to player safety IMO.

This is rookie mini camp 2013....

tumblr_mmncktTQEj1rge74zo1_500.jpg

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PeteCarroll/status/333028475864760321[/tweet]

You think riding a wave runner with a life jacket on is careless or unsafe?

I don't think any coach at the pro level has a whole lot of control over what his players do off the field. These are grown men. Yes, in many cases young men, but grown men nonetheless.

Was it Tom Coughlins carelessness when it comes to player safety that led to JPP blowing off a couple fingers with fireworks? Or maybe it didn't have anything to do with Coughlins attitude towards player safety at all and it was just a guy making a bad decision?

Seymour

Reaction score
Chapow":22ekfwd4 said:
You think riding a wave runner with a life jacket on is careless or unsafe?

No, I don't in general, but depends on how crowded it is, water and debris condition, and the person operating.

My point is, many teams have contract clauses about such activity, and looks like we don't. Or at least ours may be more lax than others.

This has nothing to do with JPP, that is coming from left field. I am talking about what the team allows.

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":1elfep0l said:
My point is, many teams have contract clauses about such activity, and looks like we don't. Or at least ours may be more lax than others.

What are you basing this opinion on? One guy getting hurt doing something he may or may not have been contractually allowed to do? Is there a disproportionate amount of Seahawks involved in incidents like this compared to the rest of the NFL that I'm not aware of?

And while I have no idea where his information is coming from, there is this;

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/891768911066038272[/tweet]

Sometimes people do stuff they aren't supposed to do.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jetski, wave runner, motorcycling, ATV....ect all fall under the same category to most.

Go read Pete's tweet again and hopefully you can figure the rest out yourself.

Latest posts