Malik McDowell

Seymour

Reaction score
Trrrroy":z3lei7a4 said:
Seymour":z3lei7a4 said:
Trrrroy":z3lei7a4 said:
It was a bummer accident that may have ruined a young guy's career before it ever started. Why does anybody need to be blamed? Football fans, man...

Assigning fault / error / blame is how your learn from yours or others mistakes and avoid them in the future. Blowing it off as "just bad luck"...."youth", ect. is a great formula for those destined to repeat the problems and learn nothing.

Are you arguing that we need to blame him for him to learn? That is silly. None of us know this kid or where his heart is, or even yhe details about what happened. We're all just a bunch of football fans that are upset he may not play a down in the NFL. Berating him online for that is ridiculous. Now if his injury was a drunk driving accident and he was remorseless that's one thing. But all the information we have says it was a severe ATV accident, which can happen to any young kid that likes to have fun. You point out that there isn't much evidence to support that, but there is even less evidence to support that it was anything else.

Besides, where would a reporter get information on who was admitted to a hospital, or what people were getting brought in with? That is a massive HIPPA violation.

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying those in position to influence his decisions and behavior do need to though. The question I answered was "Why does anybody need to be blamed?" The short answer is accountability. Here we just post our personal opinion what we hope they may or may not do.

And yes. You can call a hospital and ask if a friend or family member has been admitted. I've done it several times in the past. I'm not saying there was evidence one way or the other. I'm saying we don't really know, and should not assume with 100% certainty that is what happened to him.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":dd3mjnaw said:
Well, he called a couple cops p***** a** Crackers. Weak sauce, and yes it was recorded and played on the radio many times.

I disagree with calling him an idiot and immature for that, but calling him an idiot and a bust and berating him for a possible career ending accident that we don't even know the full details of is crossing a line, IMO.

Seymour

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2vswfy01 said:
SoulfishHawk":2vswfy01 said:
Well, he called a couple cops p***** a** Crackers. Weak sauce, and yes it was recorded and played on the radio many times.

I disagree with calling him an idiot and immature for that, but calling him an idiot and a bust and berating him for a possible career ending accident that we don't even know the full details of is crossing a line, IMO.

If you are referring to me, that is incorrect. I said all I've seen is bust up to this point, and that is not just on the accident. It is combination of red flags and said poor work ethic prior to draft, the poor choice of getting on an ATV and getting in an accident (or whatever happened), then the video of an angry, unreasonable, pompous and total lack of respect individual that we took with our first pick (based on video AND police report).

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":uye79ckw said:

So it was ok that he called authorities that name because it sure seems like your defending the behavior? Most people dont get into these situations and if they do, they dont start calling the cops names. McDowell had a red flag checked off by his character and he's doing nothing to prove otherwise.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Seymour":1tjxjgah said:
Trrrroy":1tjxjgah said:
Seymour":1tjxjgah said:
Trrrroy":1tjxjgah said:
It was a bummer accident that may have ruined a young guy's career before it ever started. Why does anybody need to be blamed? Football fans, man...

Assigning fault / error / blame is how your learn from yours or others mistakes and avoid them in the future. Blowing it off as "just bad luck"...."youth", ect. is a great formula for those destined to repeat the problems and learn nothing.

Are you arguing that we need to blame him for him to learn? That is silly. None of us know this kid or where his heart is, or even yhe details about what happened. We're all just a bunch of football fans that are upset he may not play a down in the NFL. Berating him online for that is ridiculous. Now if his injury was a drunk driving accident and he was remorseless that's one thing. But all the information we have says it was a severe ATV accident, which can happen to any young kid that likes to have fun. You point out that there isn't much evidence to support that, but there is even less evidence to support that it was anything else.

Besides, where would a reporter get information on who was admitted to a hospital, or what people were getting brought in with? That is a massive HIPPA violation.

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying those in position to influence his decisions and behavior do need to though. The question I answered was "Why does anybody need to be blamed?" The short answer is accountability. Here we just post our personal opinion what we hope they may or may not do.

And yes. You can call a hospital and ask if a friend or family member has been admitted. I've done it several times in the past. I'm not saying there was evidence one way or the other. I'm saying we don't really know, and should not assume with 100% certainty that is what happened to him.

The hospital legally cant tell anybody if a patient is admitted if that patient registered as privacy, which I'm sure McDowell was.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Seymour":1vt1l2v9 said:
Trrrroy":1vt1l2v9 said:
SoulfishHawk":1vt1l2v9 said:

If you are referring to me, that is incorrect. I said all I've seen is bust up to this point, and that is not just on the accident. It is combination of red flags and said poor work ethic prior to draft, the poor choice of getting on an ATV and getting in an accident (or whatever happened), then the video of an angry, unreasonable, pompous and total lack of respect individual that we took with our first pick (based on video AND police report).

This is where we disagree. I fail to see how getting on an ATV is a poor choice. Not getting on one is the poor choice IMO. They are effin fun.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Seymour":1kbfiebj said:
Trrrroy":1kbfiebj said:
Seymour":1kbfiebj said:
Trrrroy":1kbfiebj said:

Losers focus on the problem and look for someone to blame; winners focus on solutions and look for ways to improve. The notion that, as you put it, "Assigning fault / error / blame is how you learn from your or others mistakes and avoid them in the future," is untrue. Organizations that shift focus away from blame are far more conducive to learning and growth.

Seymour

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2o6mglva said:
The hospital legally cant tell anybody if a patient is admitted if that patient registered as privacy, which I'm sure McDowell was.

That may very well be. But don't ask me, ask Gregg Bell of the Seattle Times who reported they could find nothing to verify his story. That was the point being made.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What are you talking about?? Defending him? I said it was WEAK SAUCE that he acted like that. Extremely immature, no way in hell would I defend someone acting like that, especially towards cops. Who were actually being NICE to him, but he just kept going on and on. :roll:
You spend a lot of time putting words and thoughts in my mouth Pitt, whatever gets you thru the day.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1dolqbsa said:
Losers focus on the problem and look for someone to blame; winners focus on solutions and look for ways to improve. The notion that, as you put it, "Assigning fault / error / blame is how you learn from your or others mistakes and avoid them in the future," is untrue. Organizations that shift focus away from blame are far more conducive to learning and growth.

Brilliant. So how do you find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist then?

The arrest wasn't McDowells fault, "someone took his $600.00" (even though his friend and bartender said no that didn't happen).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And take a listen to the audio, that was played over and over again on 710 and 950. He was WAY out of hand w/those cops. No excuse for it. Come on Malik, you have a huge opportunity there, take advantage of it and prove us wrong.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3j718r7a said:
What are you talking about?? Defending him? I said it was WEAK SAUCE that he acted like that. Extremely immature, no way in hell would I defend someone acting like that, especially towards cops. Who were actually being NICE to him, but he just kept going on and on. :roll:
You spend a lot of time putting words and thoughts in my mouth Pitt, whatever gets you thru the day.

I apologize. I read your couple of posts and took it that you were making light of what he said. My fault.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Seymour":3ibzxg7t said:
Sun Tzu":3ibzxg7t said:

The arrest wasn't McDowells fault, "someone took his $600.00" (even though his friend and bartender said no that didn't happen).
Look up the definition of focus. While you're at it, you might want to look up the definition of hyperbole.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Weirdly long thread about a guy that hasn't done anything of note on the football field in the NFL, didn't do that much of note in college even and isn't tremendously likely to do much of note on the Seahawk defense for at least next season.

The gist seems to be that his behavior is not really winning any awards and he appears not to be that focused on football anyway - but does anyone really expect any significant contributions from him next year?

This isn't really a 'if only...' type of story where some stellar player was lost for the season for us. This is a guy that everybody red flagged as a loafer, we picked him anyway thinking we could change it and he ended up injured or 'injured' so he could not play.

But it isn't as losing him really mattered.

Ultimately he is a so what type of player that hasn't done anything on the field to even warrant expecting much in the near or likely even the mid-term.

I stick with my earlier assessment that I wish we had gone with a different pick like a RB or DB

Seymour

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":2lr3j08s said:
Seymour":2lr3j08s said:
Sun Tzu":2lr3j08s said:

Look up the definition of focus. While you're at it, you might want to look up the definition of hyperbole.

What else is there to "focus" on at this point with the only news on him saying his injury is career threatening?

What exactly is your solution, or are you not a winner either?