Malik news

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Doesn't play a snap in the NFL. Callin' it now.

Those two of you who love to follow me around the board and necro every prediction I get wrong...bookmark this one,
cuz it's a biggie.

hawkman

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1nef7uto said:

Those two of you who love to follow me around the board and necro every prediction I get wrong...bookmark this one,
cuz it's a biggie.

Im betting you are right.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2xrto64b said:

cuz it's a biggie.

I don't think you're going out on a ledge, many feel this way, inside and outside the NFL.

It's very hard to come back from a serious head or neck injury, even at 21. The good news is the Hawks are within their rights to not pay McDowell and just keep him in a holding pattern if he and his agent/doctors still think he can come back at some point.

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3fhftdjz said:
Sure they know what's going on, doesn't make it any less annoying a year plus later :D

Not that it makes any difference, but his accident was last July which would make it 7-8 months ago depending on when it July.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Is there any examples of a concussion recovery lasting more than a year? There is something more to this story and it is irritating.

Think Head First Logo

How long does it take to recover from the effects of a concussion?

"Many factors influence the course of recovery from a concussion, including the severity of the concussion, previous history of concussion, physical injury/pain symptoms, and personal history, and so the length of recovery will differ among individuals. Most healthy athletes, however, will see significant improvement within 7 to 30 days following their concussion."

original poster

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3lsh8ib5 said:
Is there any examples of a concussion recovery lasting more than a year? There is something more to this story and it is irritating.

Think Head First Logo

"Many factors influence the course of recovery from a concussion, including the severity of the concussion, previous history of concussion, physical injury/pain symptoms, and personal history, and so the length of recovery will differ among individuals. Most healthy athletes, however, will see significant improvement within 7 to 30 days following their concussion."

In fact, the risk of post-concussion syndrome doesn't appear to be associated with the severity of the initial injury. In most people, symptoms occur within the first seven to 10 days and go away within three months. Sometimes, they can persist for a year or more.

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":bupt5kyg said:

Think Head First Logo

I think that can vary depending on the situation.

In general, the smaller the brain, the more rattling around inside and the more damage that can occur.

McDowell may be in big trouble there. That is my theory and I'm sticking to it. :twisted:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":84g5njk4 said:

Think Head First Logo

Malik suffered more than just a concussion, he has serious facial fractures.

Ain't no doctor or medical staff in the world going to tell a person that suffered facial fractures to go put on helmet on a run into other men with helmets on less than a year after having these kinds of serious head injuries.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Justin Morneau (sp?) a damn good baseball player had concussion effects that lasted a long time. He was never the same player after it.

12HawkFan

Reaction score

The biggest problem I have and I assume most people have is the total FAMILY secrecy thing they have imposed on the Seahawks.

If they wanted to it could be released with Malik's and or the families blessing and then it would either be nipped in the bud or the act of being young and stupid would be discussed and then passed over.

Instead we are left with speculating it this way or that way, who knows what is really going to happen.

I personally am at the point that due to the super secret squirrel level of info being released by Malik and his family is that they know he will never play a down in the NFL and they are squeezing the NFL lemon for every last cent they can get.

I hope I am wrong but my gut says I'm not.

Just my .02

GO HAWKS!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sure would be nice to see this young man have half the will to succeed the Shaquem Griffin has shown.

I hold little hope for Malik as the silence surrounding his injury speaks more to not saying anything that could render his contract voidable by the team than protection of his privacy. Rather than overcoming his unfortunate bad luck he uses the privacy limitation as a sword rather than as a shield.

It’d be nice if he proves to be a successful pick but the silence from him sure makes things look differently.

We will know before the end of TC.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
i have had no expectation whatsoever of his return, so anything whatsoever will be pure gravy.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
RussB":aild8pv5 said:
seahawkfreak":aild8pv5 said:
Wish we knew what "getting better" from what.
Its a concussion from the accident and most likely some other injury. They just wont say it.

My educated guess as an Athletic Trainer and Physical Therapist is that one of two things occurred (if not both):

1. A subdural hematoma
2. A fractured skull

These are injuries that both take a significant time to heal, particularly if you're thinking about returning to a violent profession like football. If that is the case it is likely that the knew from just a couple of days after the accident that he would miss all of 2017. They were just doing the Seahawk thing of "he's getting better, we don't really know yet, we've got to give it time."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
12HawkFan":2pxsra9i said:

The biggest problem I have and I assume most people have is the total FAMILY secrecy thing they have imposed on the Seahawks.

If they wanted to it could be released with Malik's and or the families blessing and then it would either be nipped in the bud or the act of being young and stupid would be discussed and then passed over.

Instead we are left with speculating it this way or that way, who knows what is really going to happen.

I personally am at the point that due to the super secret squirrel level of info being released by Malik and his family is that they know he will never play a down in the NFL and they are squeezing the NFL lemon for every last cent they can get.

I hope I am wrong but my gut says I'm not.

Just my .02

GO HAWKS!!!

Not sure what you want, it's not secrecy, it's the unknown of not knowing any specifics due to multiple serious head injuries.

I know everyone's frustrated, and I'm sure Pete, John and even Malik and his family are frustrated. But that's just how it is, it's not some super secret no one's talking about.

IF Malik ever gets to the point in his healing process where his own and the team doctors clear him for football contact? Then we'll know a timeline for return.

But no one knows that, cause like I said no doctor is going to clear a guy who just had a serious concussion and facial fractures to put on a helmet and smash his head into 350 lb dudes at full speed.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Well, if it's a fractured skull... I fractured my skull in second grade. After that I wasn't allowed to play any organized sports in school except tennis. So I took karate in high school, ride a motorcycle, and as an adult earned a black belt in Kung Fu. I also played full-contact no-pads football at the neighborhood park growing up and played a game we called 'munch' (like rugby, but more violent and less rules) in Jr High. Got a couple good concussions out of each of these activities over the years. I was still able to function well enough to get college degrees in engineering in my old age. No matter how bad his injuries were, they can probably be overcome and will probably heal.

mrt144

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3vw8zumi said:
Well, if it's a fractured skull... I fractured my skull in second grade. After that I wasn't allowed to play any organized sports in school except tennis. So I took karate in high school, ride a motorcycle, and as an adult earned a black belt in Kung Fu. I also played full-contact no-pads football at the neighborhood park growing up and played a game we called 'munch' (like rugby, but more violent and less rules) in Jr High. Got a couple good concussions out of each of these activities over the years. I was still able to function well enough to get college degrees in engineering in my old age. No matter how bad his injuries were, they can probably be overcome and will probably heal.

Is your motorcycle a Harley?

If so, I don't want to alarm you but there might have been irrevocable harm done in your youth ;)

HawkGA

Reaction score
Let's say Malik doesn't play this year . . . how long does he have to not play/practice before we stop with any speculation about him? I'd like to think another season would do it but I'm guessing that's not the case.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":lkdrzx7r said:
Is your motorcycle a Harley?

If so, I don't want to alarm you but there might have been irrevocable harm done in your youth ;)

You know the difference between a Harley and a Hoover vacuum?

The location of the dirtbag.

:mrgreen:

The latest one is a Harley...