Malik news

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":2pcu505z said:
Let's say Malik doesn't play this year . . . how long does he have to not play/practice before we stop with any speculation about him? I'd like to think another season would do it but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Until there's a definitive decision by either him and his agent/doctors or the Hawks and their medical staff that Malik's career is over or he's been cleared to practice, the speculation will continue.

Since it's a non football related injury, the Hawk's can just keep Malik in a holding pattern of not getting paid or having his years count towards his rookie contract until that decision is made either way.

So who knows, could go on for years if either or both sides don't want to give up on Malik playing, which I assume neither does.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I thought his face was supposed to have been half ripped off and his head all malformed and ish.

Doesn't look like it.

Chances are that almost no one knows much of anything. The secrecy is really odd, but I also don't see any conclusions to be made yet.

Guess we'll see when we see.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":zv9rs2ih said:
I thought his face was supposed to have been half ripped off and his head all malformed and ish.

Doesn't look like it.

Chances are that almost no one knows much of anything. The secrecy is really odd, but I also don't see any conclusions to be made yet.

Then you must have believed HSU's report that McDowell is now "Jason meets VMAC" part 69.

Jason lives

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":308sxq04 said:
vin.couve12":308sxq04 said:

Doesn't look like it.

Then you must have believed HSU's report that McDowell is now "Jason meets VMAC" part 69.

Jason lives
Nah, never bought it. I was just being a smartarse and playing into just how much we don't know. Again, I don't know why it has to be top secret, but whatever.

Seymour

Reaction score
vin.couve12":34pofdpa said:
Seymour":34pofdpa said:
vin.couve12":34pofdpa said:

Doesn't look like it.

Nah, never bought it. I was just being a smartarse and playing into just how much we don't know. Again, I don't know why it has to be top secret, but whatever.

It's top secret likely because McDowell is going to lose his ass once the word and final condition are known.

People conceal bad news not good news.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2rdh16xc said:

What's top secret?

When there's something definitive on Malik's health, we'll know.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
My guess is that he suffered some type of skull and/or facial fractures along with the concussion. If that's the case, he probably wants to remain silent (HIPAA - which is why there's been no news to report) until he can be medically cleared. I'm not very familiar when it comes to fractures of the head, and I'm most certainly not a doctor, but I'm guessing they're waiting roughly a year before giving him the go ahead.

I think the docs want to give the bones enough time to heal and become structurally sound before allowing him to put a helmet on and start bashing his head again.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
My theory is he has multiple sclerosis as a result of the head trauma. If a diagnosis of MS is released, his career is definitely over. This would be consistent with the Seahawks supporting players who have career-ending conditions by paying out a salary, as they have done before.

I hope I'm wrong.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":136iyf6a said:
My theory is he has multiple sclerosis as a result of the head trauma. If a diagnosis of MS is released, his career is definitely over. This would be consistent with the Seahawks supporting players who have career-ending conditions by paying out a salary, as they have done before.

I hope I'm wrong.

You are.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":2ub4moqo said:
KiwiHawk":2ub4moqo said:

I hope I'm wrong.

You are.

[youtube]8Ykvf70g-OQ[/youtube]

Seafan

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2o88f98f said:

I hope I'm wrong.

I believe you meant to say "epilepsy" not MS.

Str8OuttaSkittles

Reaction score
man this kid.. had hopes for him after watching him at ms. waste of talent, but still hold out he can return if his heads right he could be some player

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Seafan":8al3uqyy said:
KiwiHawk":8al3uqyy said:

I hope I'm wrong.

It’s a sick theory, nonetheless. This level of speculation is just gross.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't even know why this is a ongoing discussion, HIPPA laws protect him from having his true injuries and latent effects from coming out, when he is on the field he is on the field, if not or never we move on and take the hit.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
chris98251":3lm6l2yl said:
I don't even know why this is a ongoing discussion, HIPPA laws protect him from having his true injuries and latent effects from coming out, when he is on the field he is on the field, if not or never we move on and take the hit.
Hippa laws protect his medical info from becoming public if MALIK wants to keep them private, there is not one thing stopping Malik, his Dr. and or his family from discussing it publicly if they wanted to except Malik.

The entire super secret thing is what is most bothersome to me because quite frankly if it was just a young dumb kid doing some young dumb kid thing that got him injured, it would have been discussed and forgotten months ago if they had just went public with what had actually happened and been done with it.

Instead we have what we have and it leads me to believe that if the truth had been known from the beginning it would have cost him financially and the Seahawks would have moved to sever all ties with him, especially the financial ones, it's the only thing that makes any sense to me for keeping the whole thing under wraps.

I guess time will tell.

GO HAWKS!!!

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seafan":390t4j0c said:
KiwiHawk":390t4j0c said:

I hope I'm wrong.

No I meant what I typed. Had a co-worker got king-hit and subsequently developed MS. I thought the trauma merely precipitated a diagnosis, but it's possible that the trauma initiated the processes that lead to MS (possibly by compromising he blood/brain barrier), or accelerated the clinical onset of a latent case of MS.

Either way, I am sure my co-worker was not an isolated incident, so it's therefore possible that if a similar set of circumstances exist in Malik's case, a similar outcome could theoretically happen.

Again, I hope not. There's just such a cloud of mystery over the whole thing.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Something like that happened to Mohammed Ali. He developed Parkinson's "syndrome", not the actual disease, from head trauma.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":17hskior said:
Seafan":17hskior said:
KiwiHawk":17hskior said:

I hope I'm wrong.

No I meant what I typed. Had a co-worker got king-hit and subsequently developed MS. I thought the trauma merely precipitated a diagnosis, but it's possible that the trauma initiated the processes that lead to MS (possibly by compromising he blood/brain barrier), or accelerated the clinical onset of a latent case of MS.

Either way, I am sure my co-worker was not an isolated incident, so it's therefore possible that if a similar set of circumstances exist in Malik's case, a similar outcome could theoretically happen.

Head trauma does not cause MS. There is zero credible evidence suggesting otherwise. Please stop.

Megatron

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":2lodcl5m said:
KiwiHawk":2lodcl5m said:
Seafan":2lodcl5m said:
KiwiHawk":2lodcl5m said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Head trauma does not cause MS. There is zero credible evidence suggesting otherwise. Please stop.

Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune disease. How do you propose head trauma caused an autoimmune reaction (antibodies, complement activation, etc). Your co-worker more likely had undiagnosed MS which produced insignificant symptoms prior to the head trauma that progressed afterwards.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077695/

"Conclusions
The method used, record linkage, ensures that patients' recollection of injury, or any tendency to attribute MS to injury, cannot have influenced the results. Injuries to the head were not associated with either the aetiological initiation or the clinical precipitation of onset of multiple sclerosis."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022510X13028608

5. Conclusion
In the meta-analysis of the four cohort studies, pooled results did not support a statistical association between head trauma and the later diagnosis of MS. The result of the meta-analyses of high quality case–control studies however, suggests a statistically significant association between premorbid head trauma and the risk for developing MS. More specifically, those with premorbid head trauma were significantly more likely to be diagnosed with MS in comparison to those controls of similar age and sex who had not sustained head trauma. Despite this significant finding, this in no way suggests or demonstrates causality, in that epidemiological studies can only provide etiological clues at best. More rigorous prospective studies, with high statistical power, are needed to convincingly establish an association between trauma and MS. Future prospective studies that take into consideration (a) the long latency period between the age of putative biological onset and clinical onset of MS, (b) define trauma based on validated instruments, (c) include frequency of traumas per study participant, and (d) include information on the site of trauma and MRI of the lesion are needed in order to definitively rule out any causal links between physical trauma and MS.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Megatron":2ubwh1do said:
Hawk Finn":2ubwh1do said:
KiwiHawk":2ubwh1do said:
Seafan":2ubwh1do said:

Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune disease, it has nothing to do with the blood/brain barrier. How do you propose head trauma caused an autoimmune reaction (antibodies, complement activation, etc). Your co-worker more likely had undiagnosed MS which produced insignificant symptoms prior to the head trauma that progressed afterwards.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077695/

"Conclusions
The method used, record linkage, ensures that patients' recollection of injury, or any tendency to attribute MS to injury, cannot have influenced the results. Injuries to the head were not associated with either the aetiological initiation or the clinical precipitation of onset of multiple sclerosis."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022510X13028608

5. Conclusion
In the meta-analysis of the four cohort studies, pooled results did not support a statistical association between head trauma and the later diagnosis of MS. The result of the meta-analyses of high quality case–control studies however, suggests a statistically significant association between premorbid head trauma and the risk for developing MS. More specifically, those with premorbid head trauma were significantly more likely to be diagnosed with MS in comparison to those controls of similar age and sex who had not sustained head trauma. Despite this significant finding, this in no way suggests or demonstrates causality, in that epidemiological studies can only provide etiological clues at best. More rigorous prospective studies, with high statistical power, are needed to convincingly establish an association between trauma and MS. Future prospective studies that take into consideration (a) the long latency period between the age of putative biological onset and clinical onset of MS, (b) define trauma based on validated instruments, (c) include frequency of traumas per study participant, and (d) include information on the site of trauma and MRI of the lesion are needed in order to definitively rule out any causal links between physical trauma and MS.

The MS argument is obviously a mistake and possibly a misunderstanding since a lot of us(and most are not doctors) are trying to understand this. IMO this quote really makes the most sense except I don't understand the skull fracture part since bones heal relatively fast.
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2ubwh1do said:
RussB":2ubwh1do said:
seahawkfreak":2ubwh1do said:
Wish we knew what "getting better" from what.
Its a concussion from the accident and most likely some other injury. They just wont say it.

My educated guess as an Athletic Trainer and Physical Therapist is that one of two things occurred (if not both):

1. A subdural hematoma
2. A fractured skull

These are injuries that both take a significant time to heal, particularly if you're thinking about returning to a violent profession like football. If that is the case it is likely that the knew from just a couple of days after the accident that he would miss all of 2017. They were just doing the Seahawk thing of "he's getting better, we don't really know yet, we've got to give it time."